2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby garf112 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:From the mouth of Steve Addazzio today, "On offense, we signed 3 quarterbacks." Just sayin'.

He also said every player is going to be TEH AWESOME. Just sayin'.

I have heard all along that there will only be three QBs on the roster next year: Murphy, Wade and Flutie.

Whether or not Flutie ever plays a down at QB is another thing. Addazio definitely likes what Flutie brings to the table. Feels that he just has that "it" quality.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm

garf112 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:From the mouth of Steve Addazzio today, "On offense, we signed 3 quarterbacks." Just sayin'.

I have heard all along that there will only be three QBs on the roster next year: Murphy, Wade and Flutie.

Whether or not Flutie ever plays a down at QB is another thing. Addazio definitely likes what Flutie brings to the table. Feels that he just has that "it" quality.

If by playing QB you mean that he will be listed as a QB while he plays WR, then yes, he will be a QB.

Regardless, the statement is dumb, because Walsh will be on the roster. At best, Flutie will be the 4th guy - while he plays WR, which is where we need him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm looking forward to the Flutie QB era so long as it looks like this one did: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/187946/billy-flutie
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:00 pm

A few program thoughts and recruiting rants

1. there is no bigger public indictment on the ineptitude of the receiver postion than the Dazzler coming out today and saying Bordner is going to Wr/TE. give me a break. Evans, zoungrana? Miller(health), Crimmins, Grant, Matthews, Barksdale. Are we going to get nothing out of these guys? If Bordner gets some run ahead of these guys then that is a travesty. the staff must really like Bordner, becuase if he was not being brought back as a qb, I figured he would no longer be with the program.

2. For those who keep track, this is the first time that there will be more african american influx to the program than the anglo Saxans. I have 18 AA, and 12 AS this year. Looking back the past few years,2013 was 10/7 AS, 2012 was 9/7 AS, 2011 was 15/8 AS.

3. I thought this was a very good class, if evaluating soley by other offers. I posted a few days back that there appeared to be too many fliers given offers as the standard used, but was generally pleased. I will say this however, this class gets absolutely mauled by the 2011 class on paper. If the BC site is accurate here is a sampling of the 2011 class.

A. Abdesmad: Uconn and Baylor. Baylor is a legit offer, but not a big time list.
B. Borcich: FSU, Stanf, Uconn, MD, Rutg, Syr.: FSU and Stanford makes hima monster get.
C: Daniels: NCST, Tex AM, Louis, Pitt, WV, MN, KY: Very very close to a monster get. TexAM puts him in that category.
D. Duggan: Oregon, Mich, Wisc, NcSt, UVA, Vandy: Monster get.
E. Spiffy: WF, Mich, Neb, Okl, Stanf. Monster get. Didnt realize he was this highly recruited.
F. Gaughen: Wisconsin, Stanf, MD, SYR, NW, Ind: Close to monster get.

G. Keyes: Louis, Indiana, Ill: Very solid
H. Lifka: LSU, Uconn, Vandy, Ind, Duke, Minn, Miss St: 3 SEC offers puts him on the very high end.
I: ALJ: ND, PSU, Mia, Stanf, Uconn, Syr, Vandy, Md: Monster get.
J: Mihalik: Stanf, WV, Ariz, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Louisvilel: Very Very high end.

K:Miller: Clemson, Miami, UNC, Mich, PSU, Stanf, Iowa, UVA: monster get.
L: Nelson: Louisville, Illinois, Ind, NW: Very solid: I give a lot of weight to Charlie Strong offers.
M:Suntrup: Stanf, Nebraska, Kans, Minnesota: Stanford and Nebraska QB offers make him elite.
N: Wujack: ND, MD, Pitt, Rutgers, MSU, Cinn, Minny,: Hate to say it, but ND offer makes him a monster get.

That is a whale of a class brought in by Spaz: If Dazz brings in a simailar classs next year I would not be dissapointed. And I am not a Sapz supporter.

One final random question. Do the majority of college football stadiums have all aluminum benches like BC. How much would it cost to put seats in: Would it affect the program in any way, would you go more often, would it look nicer to recruits?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Andrew Stevens' teammate, Darius Slade, will NOT sign with Michigan State today. He is going to visit Ohio State the weekend of Feb 15th. BC has never been mentioned for the kid... but... wouldn't hurt to kive him a call (considering he and Stevens are supposedly close).
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/art ... ate-visit/

Who is giving him advice Boyd's father?

Slade is a nice player. But, he ain't good enough to be holding Nebraska, Michigan State and Ohio State hostage. I'm surprised that Urban (a) doesn't have better prospects readily at his disposal and (b) has an extra ship he is willing to keep open.

That said, if you are truly a super-recruit (think Jameis Winston), and did not commit early (i.e. did not try and play any role in bettering the class you are about to join)... there is absolutely no incentive to sign on LOI Day. Heck... you'd probably would be better off never signing an LOI (I believe the period to sign expires April 1st) and instead just sign one of those non-binding things that guys like Landry (and I think even Jared Dudley) signed that binds the school but not the player.

D'Antonio told Slade to either pick MSU today or the ship likely wouldn't be there. So, he signed with OSU... site unseen. Bizarre.
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/art ... gning-day/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:14 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I think at this point I'm rooting for Flutie to start from Day One at QB if for no other reason than to see what happens on this board as a reaction to the announcement.

I won't hold my breath worrying about that one.

he's going to hold his breath anyway. he just refuses to keep holding it, kung fu style
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:
One final random question. Do the majority of college football stadiums have all aluminum benches like BC. How much would it cost to put seats in: Would it affect the program in any way, would you go more often, would it look nicer to recruits?

I was always told that the aluminum benches (which I hated) help magnify crowd noise (and we need all we can get) I also like high fiving and celebrating with everyone in a 10 foot radius.
It wouldnt affect how often I go. It makes it easier to leave the stadium.
I dont think recruits care, it may look worse, since sparse crowds would not be able to spread out and fill out sections.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:43 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:

I was always told that the aluminum benches (which I hated) help magnify crowd noise (and we need all we can get) I also like high fiving and celebrating with everyone in a 10 foot radius.
It wouldnt affect how often I go. It makes it easier to leave the stadium.
I dont think recruits care, it may look worse, since sparse crowds would not be able to spread out and fill out sections.

I assumed that the school was too cheap when they did the expansion to put in seats. It would cost a fortune to change it now (basically re-configuring the entire stadium). Only thing I think they could do to mask the empty seat problem is painting the benches (or the stanches on which they sit) maroon.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:19 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:A few program thoughts and recruiting rants

1. there is no bigger public indictment on the ineptitude of the receiver postion than the Dazzler coming out today and saying Bordner is going to Wr/TE. give me a break. Evans, zoungrana? Miller(health), Crimmins, Grant, Matthews, Barksdale. Are we going to get nothing out of these guys? If Bordner gets some run ahead of these guys then that is a travesty. the staff must really like Bordner, becuase if he was not being brought back as a qb, I figured he would no longer be with the program.

2. For those who keep track, this is the first time that there will be more african american influx to the program than the anglo Saxans. I have 18 AA, and 12 AS this year. Looking back the past few years,2013 was 10/7 AS, 2012 was 9/7 AS, 2011 was 15/8 AS.

3. I thought this was a very good class, if evaluating soley by other offers. I posted a few days back that there appeared to be too many fliers given offers as the standard used, but was generally pleased. I will say this however, this class gets absolutely mauled by the 2011 class on paper. If the BC site is accurate here is a sampling of the 2011 class.

A. Abdesmad: Uconn and Baylor. Baylor is a legit offer, but not a big time list.
B. Borcich: FSU, Stanf, Uconn, MD, Rutg, Syr.: FSU and Stanford makes hima monster get.
C: Daniels: NCST, Tex AM, Louis, Pitt, WV, MN, KY: Very very close to a monster get. TexAM puts him in that category.
D. Duggan: Oregon, Mich, Wisc, NcSt, UVA, Vandy: Monster get.
E. Spiffy: WF, Mich, Neb, Okl, Stanf. Monster get. Didnt realize he was this highly recruited.
F. Gaughen: Wisconsin, Stanf, MD, SYR, NW, Ind: Close to monster get.

G. Keyes: Louis, Indiana, Ill: Very solid
H. Lifka: LSU, Uconn, Vandy, Ind, Duke, Minn, Miss St: 3 SEC offers puts him on the very high end.
I: ALJ: ND, PSU, Mia, Stanf, Uconn, Syr, Vandy, Md: Monster get.
J: Mihalik: Stanf, WV, Ariz, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, Louisvilel: Very Very high end.

K:Miller: Clemson, Miami, UNC, Mich, PSU, Stanf, Iowa, UVA: monster get.
L: Nelson: Louisville, Illinois, Ind, NW: Very solid: I give a lot of weight to Charlie Strong offers.
M:Suntrup: Stanf, Nebraska, Kans, Minnesota: Stanford and Nebraska QB offers make him elite.
N: Wujack: ND, MD, Pitt, Rutgers, MSU, Cinn, Minny,: Hate to say it, but ND offer makes him a monster get.

That is a whale of a class brought in by Spaz: If Dazz brings in a simailar classs next year I would not be dissapointed. And I am not a Sapz supporter.

Mihalik
Wujciak
Daniels
Abdesmad

The above have made a big impact but the rest have either not panned out or had only supporting roles. The bunch of offers is impressive but not so much the players.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby JConman on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

garf112 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Does that mean Walsh is gone or moving to another position?
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:23 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

It means the Flutie Flakes aren't thinking clearly.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:...Flutie Flakes ...

how about fl00tZ w3ird0z
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I read today that Addazio said that Wade and Murphy, along with Walsh, will get the majority of the snaps this Spring.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:40 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:
JConman {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I read today that Addazio said that Wade and Murphy, along with Walsh, will get the majority of the snaps this Spring.

Ya don't say.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Benches were used to get the attendance up to 44, 500. They now need to to add creature comforts and high def replay boards. Enclosing the upper deck to match the lower deck and replacing the benches with chair seats along with 2 large HD replay boards like Gillette Stadium would make it a very impressive, comfortable and fun atmosphere. You would pick up a lot of room under the stadium in the corners to add club rooms. It would help recruiting and attendance.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:36 pm

you know what makes the seats the most comfortable? no one else in the near vicinity.

you stadium expansion w3ird0z should try setting some of your own money on fire to see how you like it before suggesting bc torch up theirs
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 pm

as titillating as discussion of whether Troy Flutie is going to be a QB or WR might be... untack!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:as titillating as discussion of whether Troy Flutie is going to be a QB or WR might be... untack!

considering the multiple complaints arising from sweet dee using an old shirtless boy day thread, i cannot imagine the uproad from the dozen of posters here if i untacked the fluid hips thread
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby maxwell22 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 pm

garf112 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

What about Walsh?
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

If anyone thinks that BC's facilities are not a negative in recruiting then you need to see what the competition is offering. It's been 20 years since any major renovations have been done to the stadium. Having zero club seats in the year 2014 is just plain stupid. The stadium is outdated and needs to be brought up to current times. Conte has better video replay boards.

Syracuse is building all new practice facilities and just beat BC out for a highly recruited WR Ishmael. SU will do everything and anything necessary to create considerable seperation between the two programs. Adazzio is a good or very good recruiter, but when BC wins 7-8 games next year and Florida goes 4-8, he will be gone. Waiting for recruits and fans to show up before you invest money in the stadium will not work. BC has 2.2 billion plus 335 million in bonds, plus 30 million annually from the ACC and Flynn Fund donors, more than enough to pay a low interest mortgage for a major stadium upgrade.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:47 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Another write up about Troy Flutie. It looks like he was clocked at a 4.5 with his workout at Alumni, which would make him faster than his father. With Amidon graduating, any receiver that can do anything will be needed. He holds the all time Mass record for most T passes thrown.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnis ... roy_flutie

I believe that Flutie will get a legitimate shot at quarterback and not be shifted to "athlete" or WR until he proves he can't play QB - or Wade proves he is head and shoulders above Flutie.

With all of the Flutie QB discussion on this thread - HJS advised me to resurface this post from November 27th
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Casey on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Benches were used to get the attendance up to 44, 500. e.

Isn't it the other way around?

The original redesign was for 50,000, and BC agreed to reduce capacity to 44.5k to appease the neighbors, but BC never changed the plans. They just painted wider seats on the bleachers.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 pm

"let's spend the whole fucking endowment - it's just sitting there"

last i checked, the "c" stands for "college" not "football"

i imagine your donations to build/maintain those funds are much like the others that used to post at this site and spout that kind of bullshit - a big fat ZERO
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
last i checked, the "c" stands for "college" not "football"

Which is strange, because the "c" is really a "u", which makes it even more difficult to build a new stadium because there is no engineering school in the "u", and some dirtbag once told a fat guy that you can't spell "engineering" without a "u". Or something like that.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:If anyone thinks that BC's facilities are not a negative in recruiting then you need to see what the competition is offering. It's been 20 years since any major renovations have been done to the stadium. Having zero club seats in the year 2014 is just plain stupid. The stadium is outdated and needs to be brought up to current times. Conte has better video replay boards.

Syracuse is building all new practice facilities and just beat BC out for a highly recruited WR Ishmael. SU will do everything and anything necessary to create considerable seperation between the two programs. Adazzio is a good or very good recruiter, but when BC wins 7-8 games next year and Florida goes 4-8, he will be gone. Waiting for recruits and fans to show up before you invest money in the stadium will not work. BC has 2.2 billion plus 335 million in bonds, plus 30 million annually from the ACC and Flynn Fund donors, more than enough to pay a low interest mortgage for a major stadium upgrade.

Maybe we should have a season of sold out games before we upgrade the stadium size? What do you think?

Just when I thought this thread had already jumped the shark, you go and post this.

keep up the good work! :kudos
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:33 am

Re above: Ishmael not committing here likely was in-part the choice of BC staff.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:52 am

It's like an old store that continues to loose customers, either renovate it and get the customer count back up or watch your competition take the rest of your business away. Stanford built a new stadium, TCU & Baylor built new stadiums. BC just needs to upgrade their stadium which is already 80% complete. Best to borrow the money and use the increased revenue from club seats and new luxury suites to pay for it over 20-25 years. The new TV money from the ACC will cover the cost. It's not difficult, the finished product will be a great recruiting tool, fans will love the amenities new fans will come and BC will send a message to every program that we are serious about football. The Stanford program is an ideal model for BC to follow.We cannot let facilities keep us from reaching our full potential.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:It's like an old store that continues to loose customers, either renovate it and get the customer count back up or watch your competition take the rest of your business away. Stanford built a new stadium, TCU & Baylor built new stadiums. BC just needs to upgrade their stadium which is already 80% complete. Best to borrow the money and use the increased revenue from club seats and new luxury suites to pay for it over 20-25 years. The new TV money from the ACC will cover the cost. It's not difficult, the finished product will be a great recruiting tool, fans will love the amenities new fans will come and BC will send a message to every program that we are serious about football. The Stanford program is an ideal model for BC to follow.We cannot let facilities keep us from reaching our full potential.

wake up sheeple its all about that stadium thats why stanford has awesome attendance now and the one recruit choosing syracuse also is the only proof you need plus theres the other proof where some other schools built new stadiums or renovated their old ones and then had unprecedented runs of success on the field and no it wasnt the other way around

If we're going to waste money renovating things that are showing their age, can we start with you?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby h2o on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:54 am

Power washing bird shit off the seats would be a good stadium upgrade.
h2o
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium