2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:13 pm

There is nothing worse than the liberal-Dem-like selective reading in which members of this board occasionally engage. NO's quoted post was in response to this:
HJS {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:You bring athletes onto campus and figure out their position afterward. That's why it's still questionable whether a kid like Troy Flutie will be either a WR or Safety.

I believe that he will get a legit shot at QB before any switch

In the immediate days following, the discussion on Flutie at QB evolved and NO's reading comprehension devolved.
HJS {l Wrote}:Troy Flutie may turn out to be a Hall of Famer (and when facing Donnie Brown's D, my guess is he will look very similar to Matt Ryan's senior year). All my point has been is that his prolific number against crappy Mass HS teams means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to me (especially considering the lack of interest the previous record-holder had last year when he similarly dominated). All that said, would ANYONE be talking about Troy playing QB if his last name wasn't Flutie. Considering that Jonathan DiBiaso's (formerly of Everett currently at Dartmouth) name never appeared in the 2013 Recruiting Thread, I think I already know the answer.

HJS -

All of these Mass players Matt Hass - Tim Hass - Doug Flutie - Todd Collins - Shawn Halloran - Brian St Pierre not only succeeded at QB in college but also went on to play QB in the NFL. So Flutie may or may not be capable, but your reason for disqualifying him is still wicked retahded.

Mass football is not Pennsylvania football as hotbed of D1 QB recruits. But your using the sole fact that he played in Mass as an automatic disqualifier for Flutie is kinda stupid.

Accordingly... today's post should be of no surprise from someone who summarized the above as...
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Do you subscribe to the HJS postulate that Massachusetts football can never produce a quarterback that can play for BC?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Put a note in your calendar to revisit this after training camp. Note, I said that I think he will get a legit chance to prove himself at QB not that he will beat out Wade

Note that I purposely left off QB knowing that someone would immediately mention QB.

Sure - let's revisit next fall. My opinion is independent of your post. But if it makes you feel better to post post a hook, line and sinker picture - have some fun with it

Yo HJS - is Flutie getting a shot to play QB? Or as you predicted, only being considered as safety/wr ?

He won't move until the depth issues resolve themselves. They'd only have three QBs on campus if he moved now, and one has been practicing for a few days. But no, he's not getting a shot to play unless Wade goes down - he got 0 first team snaps.

He will take snaps at the QB position against Maine and/or Howard.

Maybe. Maybe they play the QB that's evidently faster than Murphy since they will be running every single play. I also wouldn't be so certain that Wade doesn't play every snap he is healthy just for reps

With Wade being so green, I think you have to leave him in the vast majority of the game assuming that he's not getting beaten up. same with the OL. These guys need to get snaps under their belts.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:There is nothing worse than the liberal-Dem-like selective reading in which members of this board occasionally engage. NO's quoted post was in response to this:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:You bring athletes onto campus and figure out their position afterward. That's why it's still questionable whether a kid like Troy Flutie will be either a WR or Safety.

I believe that he will get a legit shot at QB before any switch

In the immediate days following, the discussion on Flutie at QB evolved and NO's reading comprehension devolved.
HJS {l Wrote}:Troy Flutie may turn out to be a Hall of Famer (and when facing Donnie Brown's D, my guess is he will look very similar to Matt Ryan's senior year). All my point has been is that his prolific number against crappy Mass HS teams means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to me (especially considering the lack of interest the previous record-holder had last year when he similarly dominated). All that said, would ANYONE be talking about Troy playing QB if his last name wasn't Flutie. Considering that Jonathan DiBiaso's (formerly of Everett currently at Dartmouth) name never appeared in the 2013 Recruiting Thread, I think I already know the answer.

HJS -

All of these Mass players Matt Hass - Tim Hass - Doug Flutie - Todd Collins - Shawn Halloran - Brian St Pierre not only succeeded at QB in college but also went on to play QB in the NFL. So Flutie may or may not be capable, but your reason for disqualifying him is still wicked retahded.

Mass football is not Pennsylvania football as hotbed of D1 QB recruits. But your using the sole fact that he played in Mass as an automatic disqualifier for Flutie is kinda stupid

Accordingly... today's post should be of no surprise from someone who summarized the above as...
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Do you subscribe to the HJS postulate that Massachusetts football can never produce a quarterback that can play for BC?

Do you realize that in blue above were in response to your statement in another that the #1 quarterback in MA would always suck and Massholes would never get it - and I just pointed out 5 obvious errors to your statement without including Mike Powers and others?

Your postulate was that Flutie would never get any run at quarterback in practice, games, spring ball, fall practice - the coaches never would consider him at QB and anyone who thought else wise was an idiot. Mine was that the coaches liked him as a QB, and would give him a shot there. I had/have no idea if he is good enough to succeed but he is getting a shot
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:02 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Do you realize that in blue above were in response to your statement in another that the #1 quarterback in MA would always suck and Massholes would never get it - and I just pointed out 5 obvious errors to your statement without including Mike Powers and others?

Your postulate was that Flutie would never get any run at quarterback in practice, games, spring ball, fall practice - the coaches never would consider him at QB and anyone who thought else wise was an idiot. Mine was that the coaches liked him as a QB, and would give him a shot there. I had/have no idea if he is good enough to succeed but he is getting a shot

You've been doing a lot of quoting in this thread... yet conspicuously absent are post where I said any of the above.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Do you realize that in blue above were in response to your statement in another that the #1 quarterback in MA would always suck and Massholes would never get it - and I just pointed out 5 obvious errors to your statement without including Mike Powers and others?

You've been doing a lot of quoting in this thread... yet conspicuously absent are post where I said any of the above.

Not an exact match but pretty close

HJS {l Wrote}:
Snooks Kelly {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:My guess is that he is finding out that Mass HS football sucks and is incapable of properly preparing a QB for the next level. ....).

Similar to NJ HS football preparing Gary Nova for the next level?

Is that supposed to be some sort of zinger? Gary Nova's alma mater... just that one high school... produces better college players year-in and year-out than the entire state of Massachusetts.

I have to say that I get a kick out of the Massholes who try and defend the quality of Mass HS Football. It is really cute.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 am

You are so bad at this. The ellipses cuts off the full quote.
My guess is that he is finding out that Mass HS football sucks and is incapable of properly preparing a QB for the next level. Let's all recall that he put up better numbers than the likes of Doug Flutie, TimHass, MattHass and BSP when he played St. Paul last year (497 yards and 6 TDs).
by HJS on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:55 am

I should be able to leave this as is, but your selective reading distorts your comprehension... so I will belabor the point (since you apparently have been harboring the misconception for almost 2 years).

Mass football hasn't prepared a QB for the next level since BSP over SEVENTEEN years ago. This in spite of a number of kids in recent years putting up Madden-like numbers that dwarf anything their predecessors accomplished. There are probably a lot of reasons why the current era of Mass football can't hold a candle to those of the past. Nonetheless, you randomly listing names of players who were in high school 35 years ago entirely misses the point and really just highlights that the only debate you are having is with yourself.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:You are so bad at this. The ellipses cuts off the full quote.
My guess is that he is finding out that Mass HS football sucks and is incapable of properly preparing a QB for the next level. Let's all recall that he put up better numbers than the likes of Doug Flutie, TimHass, MattHass and BSP when he played St. Paul last year (497 yards and 6 TDs).

I should be able to leave this as is, but your selective reading distorts your comprehension... so I will belabor the point (since you apparently have been harboring the misconception for almost 2 years).

Mass football hasn't prepared a QB for the next level since BSP over SEVENTEEN years ago. This in spite of a number of kids in recent years putting up Madden-like numbers that dwarf anything their predecessors accomplished. There are probably a lot of reasons why the current era of Mass football can't hold a candle to those of the past. Nonetheless, you randomly listing names of players who were in high school 35 years ago entirely misses the point and really just highlights that the only debate you are having is with yourself.

OK - I will just ask you directly. When Flutie was signed did you think he was signed as a WR/ATH and the coaches were not considering him as a QB? That is my recollection of your and I think Teddy's viewpoint at the time. My point then and now is that the staff was high on him as a QB prospect when they signed him, and would give him a real shot at that position. Which they have done

Will he turn out to be a good QB? Who knows?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:10 am

OK - I will just ask you directly. When Flutie was signed did you think he was signed as a WR/ATH and the coaches were not considering him as a QB? That is my recollection of your and I think Teddy's viewpoint at the time. My point then and now is that the staff was high on him as a QB prospect when they signed him, and would give him a real shot at that position. Which they have done

To be clear, my viewpoint is that Flutie has ZERO shot to be the #1 QB and won't play unless Wade gets hurt. It is also my opinion that they recruited over him with Brown, Robinson and Smith, probably in that order. It's further my opinion that he'd be a big contributor at the position at which he was originally recruited, WR, and that they could use him there desperately. It is my opinion that he is currently at QB because they had tremendous depth issues last season that were resolved with a 5th year senior, so they continued into this season.

If he plays QB all four/five years at BC without switching to WR, I will concede that I was wrong and you were right. If he ever is named starter due to anything other than injury, I will tip my cap.

That said, MA football is awful, and you aren't making your point about QBs that are NFL retirees.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:12 am

I don't think either Flutie or Jeff Smith were recruited primarily as a QB. However, giving both a chance to play the position is not remotely a surprise to me as (a) they probably promised them that in recruiting, (b) there is no burning need to move either to another position (such that they would otherwise see immediate PT) and (c) someone could surprise (which is what it sounds like Jeff Smith did this last scrimmage).

That said, as it relates to Flutie specifically, don't you think it says something about the current state of Mass high school football if one of the most prolific QBs in its history is struggling to win PT when he is the oldest QB on the roster?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:17 pm

I have felt that Flutie's pedigree should not make him an automatic starter, yet it should not be an automatic disqualifier either. I felt that the staff should give him a look and see what he can do, which they are doing. Let the issue be decided on the field, rather than making a predetermined judgment.

His comparison to DiBiaso over looks an important factor. DiBiaso is a small, slow, pro style QB. The college game has changed. The trend is towards the dual threat QB. Flutie rushed for over 3,500 yards in addition to his 9,000 passing yards at Natick. Flutie has legit 4.5 speed, but this does not matter if he cannot hit a wide open receiver.

BTW DiBiaso was out his entire freshman year with elbow surgery and missed most of last season due to a concussion.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium