2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm fine if one of the bigger guys earns 25 carries. I am just not expecting to offense to look the same. I think you will see 3 backs on the field at the same time at points next season. So it is not a huge leap to project 3-4 guys getting carries.

That said, I think it more likely that you see Willis and one of the freshman split a majority of the carries, and that other guys will get 2 or 3 touches at most - special plays, end arounds, toss sweeps, garbage time.

I foresee 2 guys getting the bulk of the carries with a 3rd receiving a few snaps in a game.

I think that is exactly right, with one qualification, each of these guys brings a little something different to the table, so aside from the base offense, they'll be groomed for specific situations/packages. Hillman is the workhorse, and Rouse can spell him in that role between the 20's. Willis will definitely be in the spread & 2 minute packages because he's fast and elusive in space. Not sure where outlow fits in, he seems to be well rounded.

Also I expect to see some split back packages, much like Oregon used.

I think Outlow's primary role will be competing with Hilliman for the "feature back" carries. His measurables are pretty similar to Hilliman's. I see Alston as a slot/return guy/3rd down back, similar role to Willis although not seeing as many touches. I doubt Rouse gets on the field much other than garbage time unless a couple guys get hurt.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Bunratty on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:wilson is playing line-backer

Source?

I don't think that has been decided yet, but after Hillman committed, Wilson mentioned that the Staff was also looking at him as a strong safety/OLB, and he's happy to play anywhere. Personally, I loved his RB film, but I can see him in JL Dunbar roll. But he should redshirt either way, giving the staff to see where he fits in.

With 5 young RBs, and a handful of combo SS/OLB in this class, it's a rare luxury for BC to have a plethora of multi-dimensional athletes & let sort their positions out on the field, rather than needs based.

If we had the luxury 2 years ago, I think you would gave seen ALJ at safety, and he would have been a good one.

I can certainly see him at SS. But at 5'10" he's pretty small for OLB.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Source?

I don't think that has been decided yet, but after Hillman committed, Wilson mentioned that the Staff was also looking at him as a strong safety/OLB, and he's happy to play anywhere. Personally, I loved his RB film, but I can see him in JL Dunbar roll. But he should redshirt either way, giving the staff to see where he fits in.

With 5 young RBs, and a handful of combo SS/OLB in this class, it's a rare luxury for BC to have a plethora of multi-dimensional athletes & let sort their positions out on the field, rather than needs based.

If we had the luxury 2 years ago, I think you would gave seen ALJ at safety, and he would have been a good one.

wasn't brian flores undersized too? he played LB.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Casey on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Source?

wasn't brian flores undersized too? he played LB.

We've had a quite a few under sized OLb's in Flores, Ott, Pruitt, Akins, Lawrence.

Obviously small Is not ideal, particularly in 4-3 where he's engaging OL & TE, but it's less of a constraight for a nickel backer in Browns scheme, who is basically another strong safety who lines up in the box for run support, and shadows RBs. Wilson May be short, but he's 215lbs with monster legs. I'm sure he can handle the contact.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Apparently, at least night's dinner, Daz said that they have two open roster spots that they are looking to fill.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby QuailMan on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Does anyone know why they stopped recruiting Figaro from Everett?
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Apparently, at least night's dinner, Daz said that they have two open roster spots that they are looking to fill.

At vinnytestes?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:Does anyone know why they stopped recruiting Figaro from Everett?

Probably because he signed with Wisconsin.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Dazoo also said something about Flutie was recruited as a QB. PERIOD. He has "it" (which is apparently a phrase Dazoo uses whenever he doesn't know what to say).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Did he mention anything about the 5th years who may or may not be invited back ? Specifically wondering about Sylvia but any info ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Dazoo also said something about Flutie was recruited as a QB. PERIOD. He has "it" (which is apparently a phrase Dazoo uses whenever he doesn't know what to say).

Coaches read this board.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Dazoo also said something about Flutie was recruited as a QB. PERIOD. He has "it" (which is apparently a phrase Dazoo uses whenever he doesn't know what to say).

If by QB he meant WR, then yes, that's true.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

before i decide which side to join, was this statement originally in spanish and then translated to english or did it start in english in the first place?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

before i decide which side to join, was this statement originally in spanish and then translated to english or did it start in english in the first place?

How do you know teddy's ladyfriend is a native spanish speaker?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:17 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How do you know teddy's ladyfriend is a native spanish speaker?

maybe if you took everyone's advice and shut up once in a while you might comprehend what other people say and then recall their statements later to deduce things about them or the stories they present.

for example, all of huang's stories typically delve into teh buttsects. those that are paying attention know that he always includes that as part of his stories because the men that he does sex to in his stories do not have baginas and he'll never admit to stoma stuffing because it will point out what a weirdo he is.

lastly, i do not know if teddy's girlfriend is a native spanish speaker... only that she hails from northeast mexico. i simply deduced that her hailing from northeast mexico would suggest that she started life speaking spanish/mexican
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby QuailMan on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:Does anyone know why they stopped recruiting Figaro from Everett?

Probably because he signed with Wisconsin.

He mentioned before that, that he stopped hearing from us
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Ask HJS, he probably predicted it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm

EO is hosted in northeast Mexico?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Practice starts tomorrow so do they update the rosters or just wait till the summer?
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:EO is hosted in northeast Mexico?

of course it is. we had a prominent poster from northeast mexico that passed away according to a recent pronouncement from huang. hell, we even have a poster named northeastmexicoeagle
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 am

I'd like to get peoples thoughts on this class. Give it a grade.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 am

B+ is a fair grade, especially if you count the transfers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Can someone give a synopsis of Wade or any backups ? I'm curious to know what we will have at QB next year or any quality QB recruit coming in. What are the strengths and weaknesses ?
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:26 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Put a note in your calendar to revisit this after training camp. Note, I said that I think he will get a legit chance to prove himself at QB not that he will beat out Wade

Note that I purposely left off QB knowing that someone would immediately mention QB.

Sure - let's revisit next fall. My opinion is independent of your post. But if it makes you feel better to post post a hook, line and sinker picture - have some fun with it

Yo HJS - is Flutie getting a shot to play QB? Or as you predicted, only being considered as safety/wr ?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Put a note in your calendar to revisit this after training camp. Note, I said that I think he will get a legit chance to prove himself at QB not that he will beat out Wade

Note that I purposely left off QB knowing that someone would immediately mention QB.

Sure - let's revisit next fall. My opinion is independent of your post. But if it makes you feel better to post post a hook, line and sinker picture - have some fun with it

Yo HJS - is Flutie getting a shot to play QB? Or as you predicted, only being considered as safety/wr ?

He won't move until the depth issues resolve themselves. They'd only have three QBs on campus if he moved now, and one has been practicing for a few days. But no, he's not getting a shot to play unless Wade goes down - he got 0 first team snaps.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

He won't move until the depth issues resolve themselves. They'd only have three QBs on campus if he moved now, and one has been practicing for a few days. But no, he's not getting a shot to play unless Wade goes down - he got 0 first team snaps.

That wasn't the original argument. HJS (and your?) position was the kid will never take any snaps as QB - wouldn't ever get a shot at that position. HJS (Your?) position is/was incorrect. He may not end up there but he has received a legitimate shot at QB
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That wasn't the original argument. HJS (and your?) position was the kid will never take any snaps as QB - wouldn't ever get a shot at that position. HJS (Your?) position is/was incorrect. He may not end up there but he has received a legitimate shot at QB

I don't think he will ever see the field as a QB, especially not now after seeing the last two classes (current frosh and next year's frosh, assuming Brown sticks). I do think he can be a productive player when he moves to WR.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

He will take snaps at the QB position against Maine and/or Howard.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't think he will ever see the field as a QB, especially not now after seeing the last two classes (current frosh and next year's frosh, assuming Brown sticks). I do think he can be a productive player when he moves to WR.

one reason teddy's position has a better chance of coming true is because ffgacrd moved to philly
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

He will take snaps at the QB position against Maine and/or Howard.

Maybe. Maybe they play the QB that's evidently faster than Murphy since they will be running every single play. I also wouldn't be so certain that Wade doesn't play every snap he is healthy just for reps
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium