Football Townhall with Bates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Football Townhall with Bates

Postby Mosi on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:11 am

interesting to see what the feedback will be to this weeks event, I'm going on the 2nd :whalepants
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Will there be a podcast for these events? Or will it be on BC eagles.com?? Those of us not in metro Boston would like to know.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:01 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:Will there be a podcast for these events? Or will it be on BC eagles.com?? Those of us not in metro Boston would like to know.

Call/email the Yawkey offices and ask them to do this.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:10 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:It'll be interesting to see if the audience is loaded with Gene-style plants in the audience to lob Bates some softballs and limit the number of hard questions he's asked by the unwashed masses.

Guarantee you the audience won't ask the hard questions but sit there and let the BS flow. Unfortunately that is usually the case on these things. You want to look at the 5 year plan for the football program (scheduling, admissions, marketing, fan amenities, off campus games, national exposure, coaching hires, process for succession plan, moving to new league?? increasing physical plant and making the Yawkey Center state of the art, etc).

A Town hall meeting should be a healthy discussion of the things people are interested in and how the program can move forward. Don't let this be just a marketing tool and everyone sits there, eating the hot dogs and yessing everything BB says. If I was In Boston I would go and ask some very specific questions in areas outlined above, and try to get some specific answers. But I somewhow doubt that will happen.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 am

Anyone from here going to the one on Wednesday?

As it's 5:30 on a weekday I assume it'll be more of a whalepantsian crowd asking when we're going to schedule holy cross
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Anyone from here going to the one on Wednesday?

As it's 5:30 on a weekday I assume it'll be more of a whalepantsian crowd asking when we're going to schedule holy cross

I have to imagine that's why they would schedule it at that time. Right after the early bird special, so they'll all be relaxed and in a good mood, and they'll all need to leave early to try to take a dump.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am

All it does is take one person to ask a difficult question to get other to follow up. Now, I said difficult... not hostile. You ask something like "How the eff did you hire Spank Daziani????!!!??!" You will get a bunch of whalepants wasting the rest of the townhall fellating the selection.

Ask things that are too the point and address facts that aren't in dispute.
"What are your thoughts on the basketball program?"
"Fr. Leahy said that there will be 4 16-team conferences, will BC be one of those 64 teams. And, if so, in what conference will that be (as most are saying the ACC is the most vulnerable to be poached given its bad media deal and a lack of a Grant of Rights)?"
"Were you surprised at the negative reaction you received from the fanbase when you announced Addazio?"
"Since Coach Addazio is known as a stellar recruiter, is it a concern that we've only lost our 2 best prospects thus far and haven't landed a single other player?"
"When coaches leave one college job for another, very often a few top recruits follow them. Why hasn't any of Temple's top recruits shown interest in coming to BC? Has Daz promised his former school that he won't recruit them?"
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:32 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Anyone from here going to the one on Wednesday?

I didn't register since I already had tickets to the hoops game, but I may crash it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 am

I assume no one went?

Based on the write up at bci, sounds like video will be available online
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 am

I hope someone asked about Manti Te'o's girlfriend. :dildodog
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I assume no one went?

of course no one went. they were all busy in canada and couldn't make it back in time. buncha poofers
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Did anyone towards the front of the room get yelled at to sit down?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:05 pm

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The video is up.

Seems like most of the points raised were pretty good.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The video is up.

Bates is the antithesis of everything Flipolean was and/or represented while here at BC. i have high hopes for his tenure.

there, i said it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am

I liked the :oldman that wants to ban alcohol.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Someone at the next one needs to ask about the NMST game
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:I liked the :oldman that wants to ban alcohol.

I thought we should add more alcohol to games, limit it to certain sections (like mine)
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Someone at the next one needs to ask about the NMST game

Agreed, only acc school to have 6 home games for 3 years in a row, throw in the Friday night game we're looking at 5 Saturdays per fall? Tough sell for ticket holders
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Agreed, only acc school to have 6 home games for 3 years in a row, throw in the Friday night game we're looking at 5 Saturdays per fall? Tough sell for ticket holders

I don't know whether this is true, but provided this is financially based which is pathetic, doesn't this seem like something above the level of an AD? By that I mean, if I understand correctly, when you schedule an OOC game with a non-BCS you either a)much more likely normal scenario - pay them (varying sums) to come to you; or, b)much less likely scenario but what is happening here- play them away for free or they pay you.

Now conversely, it may not be financial at all. It may be that the late breaking need for a 12th game left extremely limited options and NM state had leverage. I would have to think that this leverage could be overcome by $$, but don't know that. I also buy into the idea that an opponent like this was selected in large part because NM State blows and the importance of getting back to a terrible bowl game is exaggerated this year over the past few. To the last part I have mixed feelings. We have been left with 2 tremendously large issues facing our athletics by GDF and Spaz 1) we suck at football, the talent level is at a major low and the brand has been tarnished badly and 2) we have a fickle, tempermental fan base and some immutable conditions [and many self inflicted] which keep the game day atmosphere unattractive. So on one hand if we play a real team with our 12th game, our under talented team likely loses and we are more likely to have a losing record in our most likely above-.500 team pre-potential rebuild, but on the other playing 6 home games with one Friday makes it all the more likely our remaining season ticket holders re think what they are spending a bunch of money on and the wounded fan base gets worse.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I don't know whether this is true, but provided this is financially based which is pathetic, doesn't this seem like something above the level of an AD? By that I mean, if I understand correctly, when you schedule an OOC game with a non-BCS you either a)much more likely normal scenario - pay them (varying sums) to come to you; or, b)much less likely scenario but what is happening here- play them away for free or they pay you.

Now conversely, it may not be financial at all. It may be that the late breaking need for a 12th game left extremely limited options and NM state had leverage. I would have to think that this leverage could be overcome by $$, but don't know that. I also buy into the idea that an opponent like this was selected in large part because NM State blows and the importance of getting back to a terrible bowl game is exaggerated this year over the past few. To the last part I have mixed feelings. We have been left with 2 tremendously large issues facing our athletics by GDF and Spaz 1) we suck at football, the talent level is at a major low and the brand has been tarnished badly and 2) we have a fickle, tempermental fan base and some immutable conditions [and many self inflicted] which keep the game day atmosphere unattractive. So on one hand if we play a real team with our 12th game, our under talented team likely loses and we are more likely to have a losing record in our most likely above-.500 team pre-potential rebuild, but on the other playing 6 home games with one Friday makes it all the more likely our remaining season ticket holders re think what they are spending a bunch of money on and the wounded fan base gets worse.

Yes. We should all just accept this 311-word tortured rationalization rather than ask Bates why the eff BC is playing NMST on the road in a year we only have 6 home games (and possibly even less home Saturday games).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Yes. We should all just accept this 311-word tortured rationalization rather than ask Bates why the eff BC is playing NMST on the road in a year we only have 6 home games (and possibly even less home Saturday games).

Now it is appropriate time to point out that Swofford is a bad negotiator.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 am

Relentlessly posting that someone's opinions could ultimately be proven inaccurate does not make for good message boardery. As Billy Crystal once told Stuttering John, "It's not finny, it's not fun."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Relentlessly posting that someone's opinions could ultimately be proven inaccurate does not make for good message boardery. As Billy Crystal once told Stuttering John, "It's not finny, it's not fun."

I'm sorry that the windmill you used to joust with fell over.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I know that there is always the possibility of a Thursday night game, but Friday? Is that a real possibility for 2013?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:15 pm

(a) there is nothing wrong with friday night football games
(2) we have always been at war with eastasia
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 pm

You are getting a home game back from New Mexico State, right?
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby Iggle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 pm

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:You are getting a home game back from New Mexico State, right?

I don't think so. Pretty sure this was a one year deal to fill the scheduling gap, but I could be wrong.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:You are getting a home game back from New Mexico State, right?

I don't think so. Pretty sure this was a one year deal to fill the scheduling gap, but I could be wrong.

THIS
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Football Townhall with Bates

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:

THIS
Please send 9903 a picture of your weiner
I've already done THIS

CONFIRMED. By the way, it looks like a penis, only smaller.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium