shitty bowl games

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: shitty bowl games

Postby BCdee on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm

I am so glad that we don't have to play against Clowney. I'd be scared to see what he would have done to our team the past couple of years. I can't believe he's only a true soph.

What made that hit so much more amazing was that USC had just gotten screwed. It was like he took a dose of rabies and went bat shit crazy on that next play!!!!
Last edited by BCdee on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm really surprised UM is winning this game. I didn't see this coming. Good game!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Christ, he just did it again. It wasn't as violent or dramatic as the last one, but the Michigan running backs will be having nightmares for weeks.

Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Holy cow.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby h2o on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Unfreakingbelieveble. Clowney wouln't have wiffed on all those sacks that Michigan did.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 pm

BC nagball gets the shoutout during the Orange Bowl pre-game. We're relevant in a UConn way!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:BC nagball gets the shoutout during the Orange Bowl pre-game. We're relevant in a UConn way!

Huh? Care to explain the shoutout?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:27 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:BC nagball gets the shoutout during the Orange Bowl pre-game. We're relevant in a UConn way!

Ayla Brown sang the anthem and the announcer (Tessatore?) specified that she was a former BC WBB player.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby Mod34b on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:

Ayla Brown sang the anthem and the announcer (Tessatore?) specified that she was a former BC WBB player.

I was wondering why Ayla Brown was the featured singer at such a big event? Because her Dad's a US Sen? Nah.

Seems she is a rising country music star - from Wenham Patch:

Adding to the tradition of one of college football’s premier bowl games, former American Idol finalist, Ayla Brown, will sing “God Bless America” during the Discover Orange Bowl Countdown to Kickoff. Brown joins platinum recording singer-songwriter Jake Owen, who will headline the Discover Halftime Show, while Xenia, participant on NBC’s hit show “The Voice,” will perform the National Anthem at the 2013 Discover Orange Bowl on January 1, 2013 at Sun Life Stadium. Country duo, Florida Georgia Line, will also be the lead act at the Bud Light Game Day Fan Zone.

Country music singer/songwriter, Ayla Brown, whose new patriotic single, “Pride of America” releases this week, has opened for such leading country acts like Josh Turner, Darius Rucker, Charlie Daniels Band, and will soon be opening for music super group Lady Antebellum. Ayla has pursued a diverse range of endeavors over the span of the last six years that include being an American Idol finalist, recording artist of four albums, national and local performances, devoted philanthropic and charitable work, serving as a National Anthem singer for the Philadelphia 76ers, and being a national news correspondent for The Early Show on CBS from February 2010-February 2012. Brown also played NCAA Division 1 college basketball for the Boston College Eagles, member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).

The 2013 Discover Orange Bowl, to be held on January 1, 2013 at 8:00 p.m., will feature the ACC Champion #12 Florida State Seminoles against the #15 Northern Illinois Huskies. Both the Discover Orange Bowl and Discover Halftime Show will be broadcast by ESPN.

go Ayla!
Mod34b

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 am

ACC! ACC! ACC!
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:45 am

Speaking of shitty bowls... remember when we all talked about how terribly mismanaged the Gator Bowl was and how their soul focus on ticket sales was killing the bowl and how Catlett is the worst bowl President and how clownshoes it is for the bowl to be the worst version of the Big10 vs. SEC???

Well... their announced crowd was the worst in over a decade. That announced crowd was all based on tix sold NOT fans in seats (see the pics of the game). It should also be noted that it is now televised on something like Fox Sports South only. I never knew the game was played until today. Never saw one highlight... nothing.
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/ ... worst-2000
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 am

Actually watched a little of that game (BC guy Bob Wischusen was on the call). Nice to see Pat Fitzgerald succeed and beat the ess eee cee. On the whole, the B10/11/12 didn't have their usual new years day beatdown.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 am

I think there are some chinks in the SEC invincibility armor showing this season. That said... the B1G is effing terrible. They play really bad football. It is pathetic that competent management has reaped them hundreds of millions more than the ACC. On that note, I'm glad Maryland has finally found a league in which they can compete.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 am

January 1 bowl games used to be special. you would have the 10 or 12 best teams playing. It has been eroding for years, but reached full meltdown stage when a putrid and I mean putrid Purdue team showed up on my TV downa bout 50 at the half.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:January 1 bowl games used to be special. you would have the 10 or 12 best teams playing. It has been eroding for years, but reached full meltdown stage when a putrid and I mean putrid Purdue team showed up on my TV downa bout 50 at the half.

This. Remember Bicknell in the locker room after the Hail Flutie game? "We're gonna go somewhere big!!" That meant a New Year's Day Bowl.

The day started with the Hall of Fame, Citrus, and Gator. Then moved on to the big bowls. The Cotton, Rose, Orange, and Sugar. And the Fiesta didnt mean shit unless 2 indies were playing for the NC.

PS - I'm still hurting from watching the Michigan RB get Clowneyd
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 am

You can argue that Bowls have always been about attendance. While that may have been true on the margins, it doesn't really tell the whole story. Bowls USED TO BE few and far between... and, as a result... pitched top teams against one another. Going to a bowl was an accomplishment and a bit of a reward. As bowls proliferated exponentially, it became less an accomplishment... less an award... and more an obligation. If bowls focused more on quality of match-up and less on proximity for tix sales, they would be MUCH better off (as there still would be some accomplishment, mystique, excitement affiliated with the bowl invite). But, asking the worst generation (those who run these things) to think longterm (instead of making decisions based purely on the immediate) is absurd as asking a Democrat to cut spending.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:January 1 bowl games used to be special. you would have the 10 or 12 best teams playing. It has been eroding for years, but reached full meltdown stage when a putrid and I mean putrid Purdue team showed up on my TV downa bout 50 at the half.

Who did Heart of Dallas have to sleep with to get their shitacular bowl game scheduled on New Year's? This is one of the great mysteries of life.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:57 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:It should also be noted that it is now televised on something like Fox Sports South only. I never knew the game was played until today. Never saw one highlight... nothing.

The game was broadcast on ESPN2. I watched a little until the real bowls started.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

The shitty bowl games don't HURT anybody. They usually give you unusual matchups, which can be fun to watch, and from a fan's perspective even many of the shitty ones can make for fun trips (Nashville, SF, etc.) I'd eventually like to see a 16-team playoff, with the top 8 conference champs and top 8 at-large teams. Play the whole thing except the final at campus sites and give conference champs the higher seed no matter what (say independents can get seeded as a conference champ if they finish in the top 6). The shitty bowls can still be played and if you play the first round of the playoffs the second weekend in December the BCS bowls could still take the 8 losing teams....they could even keep the current tie-ins whenever possible (ie highest-ranked B1G and Pac-12 teams that lose their first-round game go to the Rose, etc.). Yeah it might diminish those bowls somewhat but when you're watching an 8-5 Wisconsin team in the Rose Bowl the bloom is already pretty much off. Under my system, this would've been your first round of the playoffs this year (note that no B1G teams would've qualified):

16 Oregon St @ 1 Notre Dame
15 Oklahoma @ 2 Alabama
14 South Carolina @ 3 Kansas St
13 Texas A&M @ 4 Stanford
12 LSU @ 5 FSU
11 Georgia @ 6 NIU
10 Oregon @ 7 Boise State
9 Florida @ 8 Louisville

Marquee games in prime time (LSU at FSU on Thursday night, A&M at Stanford on Friday night, Oklahoma at Alabama and Oregon St at ND on Saturday night). Then projecting some winners, here are your national quarterfinals:

South Carolina @ Notre Dame
Georgia @ Alabama (!!)
Oregon @ Stanford (!!)
Florida @ FSU (!!!!!!!)

And your BCS bowl games:

Sugar - LSU vs. Louisville
Rose - Oregon St vs. NIU
Fiesta - KSU vs. Texas A&M
Orange - Oklahoma vs. Boise State
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Everyone knows that the transitive property is the only real way to determine the best team, so here's a path that proves that DIII Westminster MO is better than Alabama. The best part is that it hinges on Army losing to Stony Brook and BC losing to Army! Enjoy.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby whalepants on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:38 pm

never saw so many 6 and 6 teams playing in bowls. This is why coaches and ADs will never want to see bowls go-- you can lose 6 games and still play in the postseason. Which then means you can use your bowl eligibility to extort more money from your school. How many teams had fake coaches this week because the real coach left or was fired?

Bowls are almost as bad as the NHL playoffs-- those guys play 84 games and at the end of it they eliminate one team and then play a 3 month tournament with 108 teams.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I should add that BC fans should not be in favor of an 8 or even 16 team playoff if you expect to see the Eagles play in the tournament more than once or twice in a generation. The 8 team tournament will return football to the days when there were 5 bowls. So a 9-3 BC team would be at home. Look at some of Yukica's teams-- they won 8 or 9 with a 10 or 11 game schedule and never played in a bowl. That's what playoffs will do.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:That was amazing. I'm not easily amazed.

Your monocle purveyor must be pleased with clowney's actions
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:01 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Who did Heart of Dallas have to sleep with to get their shitacular bowl game scheduled on New Year's? This is one of the great mysteries of life.

Is that Toronto bowl still held in February after the BCS Championship?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Is that Toronto bowl still held in February after the BCS Championship?

No. The International Bowl was last held in 2010.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 pm

ACC! ACC! ACC! ACC! ;)
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Bridgewater is a very good QB.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

too bad we lost Maryland :shock:
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm

How can a school like Florida have such a bad passing offense?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCdee on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Hahahahaaaahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium