shitty bowl games

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: shitty bowl games

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

In light of the utter shitastic performances by Florida, South Carolina, LSU and Georgia, I am liking the 10.5 points I am getting for the BCS Championship Game. Vaunted SEC defenses sure look shitty when confronted with running QBs.

And I think Lousisville just killed Purefoy on that kick return.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 pm

If we include the inbound schools, the ACC is 6-2 in bowls (assuming Louisville continues its bitch slapping of yet another overrated SEC team). We still have to wait out Pitt for the final record.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Florida looks awful. Herby has shit on face after his pregame ramble.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If we include the inbound schools, the ACC is 6-2 in bowls (assuming Louisville continues its bitch slapping of yet another overrated SEC team). We still have to wait out Pitt for the final record.

Wait are you including Clemson, FSU (B12) and GT (B10) in that 6-2?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Aahhh HAhahahahaaahaaaa!!!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:In light of the utter shitastic performances by Florida, South Carolina, LSU and Georgia, I am liking the 10.5 points I am getting for the BCS Championship Game. Vaunted SEC defenses sure look shitty when confronted with running QBs.

And I think Lousisville just killed Purefoy on that kick return.

You know... I was thinking the exact same thing. The SEC sure looked tough when playing themselves.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Louisville just jammed a ball gag in Florida's mouth, chained the Gators to the radiator and is currently going to town without any lubricant.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:I should add that BC fans should not be in favor of an 8 or even 16 team playoff if you expect to see the Eagles play in the tournament more than once or twice in a generation. The 8 team tournament will return football to the days when there were 5 bowls. So a 9-3 BC team would be at home. Look at some of Yukica's teams-- they won 8 or 9 with a 10 or 11 game schedule and never played in a bowl. That's what playoffs will do.

An 8/12/16-team playoff wouldn't kill the bowl system. Maybe 2 or 3 of the weaker ones, but that's it. The bowls would continue to exist as the same glorified exhibitions they currently are.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm

I was thinking more the curb stomping scene in American History X.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm

:toby :toby :toby
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Shredder on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:The shitty bowl games don't HURT anybody. They usually give you unusual matchups, which can be fun to watch, and from a fan's perspective even many of the shitty ones can make for fun trips (Nashville, SF, etc.) I'd eventually like to see a 16-team playoff, with the top 8 conference champs and top 8 at-large teams. Play the whole thing except the final at campus sites and give conference champs the higher seed no matter what (say independents can get seeded as a conference champ if they finish in the top 6). The shitty bowls can still be played and if you play the first round of the playoffs the second weekend in December the BCS bowls could still take the 8 losing teams....they could even keep the current tie-ins whenever possible (ie highest-ranked B1G and Pac-12 teams that lose their first-round game go to the Rose, etc.). Yeah it might diminish those bowls somewhat but when you're watching an 8-5 Wisconsin team in the Rose Bowl the bloom is already pretty much off. Under my system, this would've been your first round of the playoffs this year (note that no B1G teams would've qualified):

16 Oregon St @ 1 Notre Dame
15 Oklahoma @ 2 Alabama
14 South Carolina @ 3 Kansas St
13 Texas A&M @ 4 Stanford
12 LSU @ 5 FSU
11 Georgia @ 6 NIU
10 Oregon @ 7 Boise State
9 Florida @ 8 Louisville

Marquee games in prime time (LSU at FSU on Thursday night, A&M at Stanford on Friday night, Oklahoma at Alabama and Oregon St at ND on Saturday night). Then projecting some winners, here are your national quarterfinals:

South Carolina @ Notre Dame
Georgia @ Alabama (!!)
Oregon @ Stanford (!!)
Florida @ FSU (!!!!!!!)

And your BCS bowl games:

Sugar - LSU vs. Louisville
Rose - Oregon St vs. NIU
Fiesta - KSU vs. Texas A&M
Orange - Oklahoma vs. Boise State

I think this is the best plan. Dan Wetzel set up a good blueprint in "Death to the BCS." I don't see why the NCAA can't just step in and say, "starting in 2016 or whenever the BCS deal runs out, we're having a tournament to determine the NCAA football champion and will distribute the money to the participating schools." The NCAA did a good job crushing the NIT in the 50s (a lot of that came from the point-shavings scandals but the BCS is probably equally loathsome to the public).
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 pm

If Louisville had a better than high school kicker, we would be at the corpse-raping phase of the game. The good news for Louisville is that Florida has an SEC offense, which means it would take them five plays to score if Louisville left the field.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:27 pm

If AngryDick's analysis and prediction regarding the outcome of the BCS NC Game are anything like that of political races, ND is going to get trounced!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:15 am

Going into the game I thought UF was the best team in the country. Clearly, I was wrong.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:27 am

I like being affiliated with Louisville. As the camera spanned the crowd, and viewers were treated to jolly, feel-good stories of players with jailed siblings or aids striken mothers, it just felt good and right.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:33 am

TRE knew that Louisville was going to win the game:

AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Going into the game I thought UF was the best team in the country.

Why??? They are one-dimensional on offense, even more so than ND and Bama.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:If Louisville had a better than high school kicker, we would be at the corpse-raping phase of the game. The good news for Louisville is that Florida has an SEC offense, which means it would take them five plays to score if Louisville left the field.

Sugar Bowl recap

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am

I wonder what the Gator fans are thinking watching their former assistant go all "7th Floor Crew" on their supposed-#3 team in the nation?

Speaking of which... Urban Meyer has sprouted a pretty decent coaching tree: Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, Kyle Whittingham, Gary Andersen, Tim Beckman. I don't know where Daz fits on that list (likely towards or at the bottom). But, 6 assistants currently coaching in the SEC, B1G, P12 and ACC is damn impressive.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I wonder what the Gator fans are thinking watching their former assistant go all "7th Floor Crew" on their supposed-#3 team in the nation?

Speaking of which... Urban Meyer has sprouted a pretty decent coaching tree: Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, Kyle Whittingham, Gary Andersen, Tim Beckman. I don't know where Daz fits on that list (likely towards or at the bottom). But, 6 assistants currently coaching in the SEC, B1G, P12 and ACC is damn impressive.

Beckman sticks out like a sore thumb on that list. He was so bad at Illinois his first year, they were discussing firing him and the 2nd year AD, Mike Thomas, over the hire. That's a bad hire of epic proportions.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm

I don't know... I like Beckman. He did a very good job at Toledo and has served under Tressell and Meyer. Big 10 or no Big 10, Illinois is a pretty terrible program and has been for quite some time. Let's see how he does next year. That said, folks on other boards may be saying the exact same thing about BC fans wanting to fire their AD who is only in his second year, if we too go 2-10 in Daz's first season.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I don't know... I like Beckman. He did a very good job at Toledo and has served under Tressell and Meyer. Big 10 or no Big 10, Illinois is a pretty terrible program and has been for quite some time. Let's see how he does next year. That said, folks on other boards may be saying the exact same thing about BC fans wanting to fire their AD who is only in his second year, if we too go 2-10 in Daz's first season.

if Daziani goes 2-10 with this schedule, then he should be fired and banned from coaching for life.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Are we really going to show Klein's wife after every KSU play?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I didn't watch much of KSU this year, but I didn't realize how terrible Klein is as a passer. Some of the worst mechanics I've ever seen. Goes to show you that a good offensive scheme can allow an athletic QB to be successful. Good thing he's married to an attractive broad already considering he'll never sniff the NFL.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 pm

How awesome is Ron Cherry?

The ACC is on fire this bowl season
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Watching the cotton bowl. Finally a good game. Johnny football looks good. Just ran one in.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Great matchup. A shitty bowl game would be the Rose Bowl
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:If AngryDick's analysis and prediction regarding the outcome of the BCS NC Game are anything like that of political races, ND is going to get trounced!

HJSQuote
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 am

Looks like the Pinstripe Bowl will now be between the ACC & B10/11/12/14

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22001576/big-ten-acc-in-discussions-with-pinstripe-bowl

Big Ten, ACC in discussions with Pinstripe Bowl

April 3, 2013 9:32 pm ET

The Big Ten and ACC are in discussions with the Pinstripe Bowl on a commitment after the 2013 season, according to a league source that expects a deal to happen eventually.

The two-year-old Pinstripe, sponsored by New Era and paying out around $2 million per year, currently pits the Big East's No. 4 team vs. the Big 12's No. 7 team in Yankee Stadium. Syracuse bounced West Virginia 38-14 in last season's snow-fest.

Bowl agreements expire after 2013, prompting conferences and bowls to get creative with an already-stale national bowl lineup.

With the Big 12 likely focusing on other states such as Florida, the Big Ten can explore its new-found East Coast presence with incoming members Maryland and Rutgers. The ACC has a natural tie-in with Syracuse and also Notre Dame, which has a big East Coast alumni base. Notre Dame has committed five football games per year to the ACC starting in 2014 and joins the league's bowl lineup should the Irish miss out on a BCS bowl.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Looks like the Pinstripe Bowl will now be between the ACC & B10/11/12/14

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22001576/big-ten-acc-in-discussions-with-pinstripe-bowl

Big Ten, ACC in discussions with Pinstripe Bowl

April 3, 2013 9:32 pm ET

The Big Ten and ACC are in discussions with the Pinstripe Bowl on a commitment after the 2013 season, according to a league source that expects a deal to happen eventually.

The two-year-old Pinstripe, sponsored by New Era and paying out around $2 million per year, currently pits the Big East's No. 4 team vs. the Big 12's No. 7 team in Yankee Stadium. Syracuse bounced West Virginia 38-14 in last season's snow-fest.

Bowl agreements expire after 2013, prompting conferences and bowls to get creative with an already-stale national bowl lineup.

With the Big 12 likely focusing on other states such as Florida, the Big Ten can explore its new-found East Coast presence with incoming members Maryland and Rutgers. The ACC has a natural tie-in with Syracuse and also Notre Dame, which has a big East Coast alumni base. Notre Dame has committed five football games per year to the ACC starting in 2014 and joins the league's bowl lineup should the Irish miss out on a BCS bowl.

Obviously, IWNH and I am a Mets fan, but if they're going to continue playing a bowl game in NYC-proper, Citi Field is better suited for it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium