New DC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New DC

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm

This seems like a great move. I love the fact that they're changing things up on D and actually taking an aggressive approach. :koolaid
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 pm

“Coach Addazio has presented me with a great challenge – one that I am very excited about,” Brown said in the release. “I’m excited to be back in the ACC. “The positive thing for me is that I’m a New England guy. I’m from Massachusetts. Coaching at Boston College has always been a wish of mine.”

In 2012, Brown’s defense at UConn was ranked 10th nationally in total defense, while BC placed 101st in the same category. Most notably, the Huskies’ defense allowed just 97.92 rushing yards per game this year (seventh in the FBS), as opposed to the 214.08 rushing yards per game that the Eagles allowed—112th in the FBS.

“I’m a firm believer that you play the game on the balls of your feet, not on your heels,” Brown said. “From day one, we’re going to be aggressive. We’re going to attack the line of scrimmage. We’re going to get after the quarterback. We’re going to play with our hair on fire on defense. I’m a big believer in playing for tackles for loss and being disruptive and making life difficult for the quarterback. We’re going to attack. That’s the style of defense that I’ve employed. We’re going to fly around and attack the pass.”

http://heightssports.tumblr.com/post/38314205214/brown-and-day-announced-as-defensive-and-offensive

No more cushion CONFIRMED!!!
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm

no scheme could possibly be worse than the spaz cushion.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I have routinely stated that I am a fan of Heater. I hope he makes it onto the staff. That said, Don Brown is a very good hire for BC. Scratch that... Don Brown is an EXCELLENT hire. Not only has he consistently been a great DC. Not only is he known as a pretty good recruiter. He has complete knowledge of the ACC... after being Fridge's DC in Maryland. He was retained by HCRE, but soon left in February when UConn replaced HCRE with PaulP.

As for Heater, I will point out that he has always been a DBs catch and also was the RC at Florida. I don't know if he is young enough to be an RC, but I would be happy to give him a chance at RC/DB again. Especially, since it would mean that we are finally Ravo-free. Also... I think Don Brown and McGovern go way back... which could give some credence to the rumors of him staying on as LB coach. If Heater is moving on from Daz, you have to think that Kevin Lempa would be a likely candidate to return for his 3rd go-around at BC.

With the offense being Day, Devine, Frye and likely Rogers (assume WR coach), and the D shaping up to be Brown, Guvs and some form of Heater/Lempa, Daz needs to hire minorities for the RB and DL coaches.

Is HomoJS being positive about something? :shock:

dammit,the world must be ending on Friday after all... :shrug

homojs loves bc because that's where he received his bs, uconn because that's where he received his jd, and rutgres because that's where he receives his bj's

Sadly, this is the best laugh I've had all day. Maybe that's because I worked from home today and didn't have much interaction with human beings.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:no scheme could possibly be worse than the spaz cushion.

Im concerned against the Clemson's/FSUs of the world we don't have the athletes to succeed with this
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWomp on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 pm

The only short term negative I can think of is the fact that Brown's all out blitzing defense requires quality cover corners. Say what you want about UConn, but their two corners were both seniors and have both garnered invites to the Senior Bowl. The general lack of speed in BC's defensive backfield and the lack of quality recruiting of DBs could make the transition to Brown's system pretty ugly. However, he is a high energy coach and has the added benefit of having some top notch Florida recruiting connections.
BCWomp
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Did Brown coach Wujacks brother at Maryland ? He came our on twitter and seemed very supportive of the hire
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:no scheme could possibly be worse than the spaz cushion.

Im concerned against the Clemson's/FSUs of the world we don't have the athletes to succeed with this

I am looking forward to not answering FSU/Clemson's 5 WR sets with our 4-3 including 10 yard Clancy.

I am also looking forward to not seeing our CBs 15 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 am

I'm excited, I admit it.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am

BCWomp {l Wrote}:The only short term negative I can think of is the fact that Brown's all out blitzing defense requires quality cover corners. Say what you want about UConn, but their two corners were both seniors and have both garnered invites to the Senior Bowl. The general lack of speed in BC's defensive backfield and the lack of quality recruiting of DBs could make the transition to Brown's system pretty ugly. However, he is a high energy coach and has the added benefit of having some top notch Florida recruiting connections.

You don't think Slyvia can cover Sammy Watkins?

I actually think Asprilla is a pretty good CB. CJ Jones looked pretty good before his knee injury but was terrible last year. Bryce Jones didn't show much other than that he wasn't ready for ACC level football. ALJ had a poor FR season but I still have hope for him. Who else do we have at CB? Richardson, McCaffrey?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Blitzing has its downside. When you have D backs that can't cover you can give up a lot of points very quickly.

How would you know they can't cover. A BC DB hasn't been asked to cover a receiver in 15 years. Run up and tackle.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 am

BCWomp {l Wrote}:The only short term negative I can think of is the fact that Brown's all out blitzing defense requires quality cover corners. Say what you want about UConn, but their two corners were both seniors and have both garnered invites to the Senior Bowl. The general lack of speed in BC's defensive backfield and the lack of quality recruiting of DBs could make the transition to Brown's system pretty ugly. However, he is a high energy coach and has the added benefit of having some top notch Florida recruiting connections.

I know they never played under Spazoo but ALJ and Jones are both pretty fast and its not like UConn was trotting Revis and Joseph out every down. I think the immediate issue BC will have is the absolute horrendousness of our front 4 and the linebackers learning to play a completely different way. I think the pressure and not the coverage will be the initial problem, but who knows.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:07 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I know they never played under Spazoo but ALJ and Jones are both pretty fast and its not like UConn was trotting Revis and Joseph out every down. I think the immediate issue BC will have is the absolute horrendousness of our front 4 and the linebackers learning to play a completely different way. I think the pressure and not the coverage will be the initial problem, but who knows.

I think the bigger problem will be stopping the run, so I guess I agree. But well schemed blitzes can help with that as well. They need to find a good run stuffing DT.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think the bigger problem will be stopping the run, so I guess I agree. But well schemed blitzes can help with that as well. They need to find a good run stuffing DT.

Wasn't thinking along those lines, but yes I think we get to the same place.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 am

I'm going to miss our D telegraphing the blitz 10 seconds before the ball is snapped.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Has there been any word on Ramsey getting a waiver for another year?
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Blitzing has its downside. When you have D backs that can't cover you can give up a lot of points very quickly.

How would you know they can't cover. A BC DB hasn't been asked to cover a receiver in 15 years. Run up and tackle.

Fletcher could cover, DeJuan Tribble, and certainly Will Blackmon could as well. Other than them, there have not been any real shut down corners in the last 15 years. There is a reason that you avoid man to man.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:...There is a reason that you avoid man to man.

because swofford is a bad negotiator?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Fletcher could cover, DeJuan Tribble, and certainly Will Blackmon could as well. Other than them, there have not been any real shut down corners in the last 15 years. There is a reason that you avoid man to man.

youre assuming fletcher could cover. he didnt have to "cover" one play in his four years.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:...There is a reason that you avoid man to man.

because swofford is a bad negotiator?

because it ends up as a meatbomb on this site?
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How could you tell. None of those guys actually covered anyone in a game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

youre assuming fletcher could cover. he didnt have to "cover" one play in his four years.

This is my point. The other guys didn't really either, other than maybe Tribble on and off under Jags. Tribble got picks jumping out routes from zone, a la the immortal Asante Samuel.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 pm

I think you're selling Tribble a little short there.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:32 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I think you're selling Tribble a little short there.

Really? How'd he cover dudes playing cover-2 from a 4-3 with a 10 yard cushion every down of his career?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Really? How'd he cover dudes playing cover-2 from a 4-3 with a 10 yard cushion every down of his career?

I agree, I think your right here. Tribble left a ton of cushion
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree, I think your right here. Tribble left a ton of cushion

He did and BC hasn't played more than about 8 downs of man to man in the last 15 years. I get a kick out of people talking about cover corners in the 4-3 cover 2.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby uconnbaseball on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Can't say enough good things about Don Brown. He's a beast, and players absolutely LOVE him. This is a great hire for you guys.

Positives:

+ Very good recruiter, especially in Florida
+ High energy guy that will motivate players during games and practices alike
+ No cushion; UConn and Maryland played press coverage and blitzed
+ Successful everywhere he's been
+ Uses multiple fronts (4-3, 3-4, 3-3-5)
+ Adjusts to personnel
+ Gameplans well. For example, when facing BJ Daniels and USF his defense sat back in a zone and waited for him to make a mistake. Against Rutgers and Pitt, he blitzed like crazy vs. their mediocre OL's and had success against both.

Negatives:

- Left UConn and Maryland each after two years. Has been known as a job hopper (why he wanted to work at UConn at the first place is confusing to me)
- His defenses are susceptible to passes over the middle of the field
- Red Zone defense was terrible at both his UConn and UMD stops
- Usually takes a year for his players to adjust to his schemes. If you get beat year one, don't panic.

I still love him and will root for him. I was not impressed with Daz's offense in East Hartford this year (except for Montel), but at least you will be fun to watch on one side of the ball.
uconnbaseball
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium