Temple Coaching Search

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Temple Coaching Search

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am

Cristobal and Diaco mentioned. Wouldn't that be some shit?

Link
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Temple Coaching Search

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

Oh fuck this fucking shit.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 am

I know this gets really circular, but maybe Diaco is actually a bad candidate? This doesn't mean I think Daz is good though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I know this gets really circular, but maybe Diaco is actually a bad candidate? This doesn't mean I think Daz is good though.

I think Diaco is a strong candidate (since he has gotten strong consideration from many a good job this year). However, it is possible that he is a bad interview (since he hasn't been able to land any). In all honesty, I don't think it matters much. It really sounds like BB, after soliciting input and getting a solid initial list, took upon himself to limit to a few finalists. It sure sounds like those finalists were composed largely from who he knew and liked at Miami (Addazio, Lembo and Kromer). Diaco seems to be the only one from the broader search that got serious consideration. It is simply incredibly frustration how small-time our athletic program has become. Given that this is through multiple ADs and coaches... it is becoming crystal clear that the direction is coming from the top (either Leahy or the BOT).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I know this gets really circular, but maybe Diaco is actually a bad candidate? This doesn't mean I think Daz is good though.

I think Diaco is a strong candidate (since he has gotten strong consideration from many a good job this year). However, it is possible that he is a bad interview (since he hasn't been able to land any). In all honesty, I don't think it matters much. It really sounds like BB, after soliciting input and getting a solid initial list, took upon himself to limit to a few finalists. It sure sounds like those finalists were composed largely from who he knew and liked at Miami (Addazio, Lembo and Kromer). Diaco seems to be the only one from the broader search that got serious consideration. It is simply incredibly frustration how small-time our athletic program has become. Given that this is through multiple ADs and coaches... it is becoming crystal clear that the direction is coming from the top (either Leahy or the BOT).

Separating our own search, which was at the most optimistic poorly executed, Diaco either has some major interview issues as you say or didn't really want to leave ND. I suspect the latter is as likely as the former except why would you interview at Temple if its the latter?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Gag Radar on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Coach Flip accepts your apology.
Gag Radar
n00b

Postby joemack13 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I was wondering this myself... given the consistency of the last two hires with two different Athletic Directors, is it possible that Father Leahy is more involved that previously thought? Of course it could just be budgetary, but I thought several people had claimed money wasn't a factor.
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Separating our own search, which was at the most optimistic poorly executed, Diaco either has some major interview issues as you say or didn't really want to leave ND. I suspect the latter is as likely as the former except why would you interview at Temple if its the latter?

He interviewed with Cal. I'm not sure about Colorado, but he certainly was a candidate for Purdue. As I posted months ago when people were wondering if we could ever get Diaco, it is incredibly rare for a coordinator to take the head job at another BCS program. It happens, but not too often (even less so on the defensive side of the ball). Diaco would have jumped at ANY of these jobs. They all represent a major bump in salary and opportunity. I just betting he didn't interview as well as these other guys. Now, part of that could be personality. Part of that could be that he acted hesitant as he was trying to play jobs off of one another. Part of that could be that he wasn't well prepared. And, part of that could be that he has lost out (in each case) to guys who were already successful head coaches (Stank Daziani aside). I thought Cincy would be the PERFECT landing spot for him (given his previous experience there). Temple looks like they are chickening out and want a guy who will stay instead of a climber. That said, Diaco would actually be a decent fit for him as (a) its in the winnable Big East and (b) it gets him back to the East Coast which is something that would be good for his resume. Also, let's not pretend that his star as a coordinator will be any brighter than it is now. He needs to take the next step in his career.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

He interviewed with Cal. I'm not sure about Colorado, but he certainly was a candidate for Purdue. As I posted months ago when people were wondering if we could ever get Diaco, it is incredibly rare for a coordinator to take the head job at another BCS program. It happens, but not too often (even less so on the defensive side of the ball). Diaco would have jumped at ANY of these jobs. They all represent a major bump in salary and opportunity. I just betting he didn't interview as well as these other guys. Now, part of that could be personality. Part of that could be that he acted hesitant as he was trying to play jobs off of one another. Part of that could be that he wasn't well prepared. And, part of that could be that he has lost out (in each case) to guys who were already successful head coaches (Stank Daziani aside). I thought Cincy would be the PERFECT landing spot for him (given his previous experience there). Temple looks like they are chickening out and want a guy who will stay instead of a climber. That said, Diaco would actually be a decent fit for him as (a) its in the winnable Big East and (b) it gets him back to the East Coast which is something that would be good for his resume. Also, let's not pretend that his star as a coordinator will be any brighter than it is now. He needs to take the next step in his career.

It worked out pretty well for Wisc the last time they hired ND's DC. Maybe Diaco is using the Temple interview for practice? It would be very telling if he took the job.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Maybe Diaco is using the Temple interview for practice? It would be very telling if he took the job.

Maybe Temple has surpassed BC. :couch
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 pm

I think Father Leahy and BC's BOT -- and by extension Brad Bates -- share the perspective of Temple's BOT chair:

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... e-addazio/

Maybe as Leahy saw that the move to the ACC was not enough to ensure BC's AQ status, he decided to throw in the towel as a major athletic program. :lame :lame
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 pm

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:I think Father Leahy and BC's BOT -- and by extension Brad Bates -- share the perspective of Temple's BOT chair:

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... e-addazio/

Maybe as Leahy saw that the move to the ACC was not enough to ensure BC's AQ status, he decided to throw in the towel as a major athletic program. :lame :lame

I truly believe that Leahy threw in the towel BECAUSE of the move to the ACC. By that I mean, he saw no incentive to spend money on sports where the amount BC received from the conference would be the exact same regardless if it finished in first or last place.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow that's frustrating. Addazio's ability to recruit offensively might make us fun to watch, but Diaco's ability to recruit defensively makes our defenses formidable, and defense wins championships. Then again, Spaz was a great D-Coordinator, and his defense this year was probably the NCAA's worst.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 pm

diaco apparently a top candidate for wisconsin.

glad he wasn't good enough for us.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 pm

According to Temple's Rivals site, D'Onofrio and Rhule are the 2 candidates for the HC gig.

Got it from a link posted on TOS.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:13 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:diaco apparently a top candidate for wisconsin.

It could be that Diaco was holding out for Wisconsin once that opened up. We'll see if he ends up landing there, but it is at least conceivable that Diaco was contacted before our hire and Diaco was willing to press his luck. I like Diaco and think he is better than virtually all of the BCS hires made thus far, but he is very untested.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am

I'm really not sold that we rejected Diaco. We might have, but I think its at least equally likely he rejected us. Which begs the money question that I have no answer for.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'm really not sold that we rejected Diaco. We might have, but I think its at least equally likely he rejected us. Which begs the money question that I have no answer for.

What proof... check that... what EVIDENCE do you have that leads you to believe that Diaco turned down an offer??? Honestly... outside of you and the idiot MattTheEagle, I haven't seen a single article, poster or commentator who has even alluded to it as a possibility.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

What proof... check that... what EVIDENCE do you have that leads you to believe that Diaco turned down an offer??? Honestly... outside of you and the idiot MattTheEagle, I haven't seen a single article, poster or commentator who has even alluded to it as a possibility.

He has an equal amount of evidence as you do that Diaco wasn't offered the job. None.

for the record, I was the first to predict that we would lose Diaco to Wisconsin. I would obnoxiously bump the thread, but it's been locked.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

He has an equal amount of evidence as you do that Diaco wasn't offered the job. None.

for the record, I was the first to predict that we would lose Diaco to Wisconsin. I would obnoxiously bump the thread, but it's been locked.

Which would certainly be comical if that is his stance.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Which would certainly be comical if that is his stance.

They ain't jonking when they say the bar is a test of minimal competence.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I know you struggle with reading comprehension (probably makes you a bad lawyer) and telling the truth (probably mitigates the latter somewhat), but I said it is incorrect to assume that BC decided not to offer Diaco, I did not say it is correct to assume BC did not offer Diaco. This is not a subtle difference, it is the difference between what we know and what we don't know.

The universe of possible scenarios I can think of (things we know - he interviewed, he didn't take the job either by choice or because it was not offered):

1. BC made a non-competitive offer to Diaco and he turned it down;
2. BC made a competitive offer to Diaco and he turned it down;
3. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Addazio was a superior candidate;
4. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Diaco interviewed poorly;
5. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Diaco would leave within 3 years;
6. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Diaco was too much of a risk under the circumstances;
7. this could go on for awhile...

I'd like to know on what basis you believe it is more likely that 3-6 occurred than 2? I have heard nothing to support this except that he later interviewed for Temple and that he didn't take other jobs, which doesn't really tell much. ATL and BCWest said he was a candidate, we've heard from many sources that he interviewed. The gap in information is what happened next. Of course you claim as fact the scenario which fits your simplified, "the administration is always to blame and if they just were more ambitious everything would be fine" theory of all things sports failures.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

If you think Diaco turned down a BC offer in hopes of getting the Wisconsin job you're a moron. Bielema to Arkansas was announced literally about 2-3 hours before we announced the hiring of Addazio. First, that's not enough time for Diaco to say "thanks but no thanks" to BC and for BC to fly Addazio to Boston and not only offer him a job but work out a contract. Second, the Bielema hire was completely out of left field--Wisconsin by all indications didn't find out much earlier than the rest of the world did, so it's not like they were using back channels to talk to Diaco in anticipation of losing their coach. Third, it's far from a slam dunk that Diaco would get the Wisconsin job--Paul Chryst is the most natural candidate if he's willing to leave Pitt plus there are internal options and at the time Jones and I believe Hazell were still available--all those guys would've been options. There is no, ZERO chance that Diaco turned down an offer from BC for an outside shot at the Wisconsin job.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:If you think Diaco turned down a BC offer in hopes of getting the Wisconsin job you're a moron. Bielema to Arkansas was announced literally about 2-3 hours before we announced the hiring of Addazio. First, that's not enough time for Diaco to say "thanks but no thanks" to BC and for BC to fly Addazio to Boston and not only offer him a job but work out a contract. Second, the Bielema hire was completely out of left field--Wisconsin by all indications didn't find out much earlier than the rest of the world did, so it's not like they were using back channels to talk to Diaco in anticipation of losing their coach. Third, it's far from a slam dunk that Diaco would get the Wisconsin job--Paul Chryst is the most natural candidate if he's willing to leave Pitt plus there are internal options and at the time Jones and I believe Hazell were still available--all those guys would've been options. There is no, ZERO chance that Diaco turned down an offer from BC for an outside shot at the Wisconsin job.

I really hope you're not suggesting I said Diaco turned down the BC offer in hopes of getting the Wisconsin job.

edit: oh I see that MattheEagle said that. I agree that probably was not why.
Last edited by eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:If you think Diaco turned down a BC offer in hopes of getting the Wisconsin job you're a moron. Bielema to Arkansas was announced literally about 2-3 hours before we announced the hiring of Addazio. First, that's not enough time for Diaco to say "thanks but no thanks" to BC and for BC to fly Addazio to Boston and not only offer him a job but work out a contract. Second, the Bielema hire was completely out of left field--Wisconsin by all indications didn't find out much earlier than the rest of the world did, so it's not like they were using back channels to talk to Diaco in anticipation of losing their coach. Third, it's far from a slam dunk that Diaco would get the Wisconsin job--Paul Chryst is the most natural candidate if he's willing to leave Pitt plus there are internal options and at the time Jones and I believe Hazell were still available--all those guys would've been options. There is no, ZERO chance that Diaco turned down an offer from BC for an outside shot at the Wisconsin job.

I really hope you're not suggesting I said Diaco turned down the BC offer in hopes of getting the Wisconsin job.

Sorry I was responding to MattTheEagle and was too lazy to scroll back up and quote his post
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Sorry I was responding to MattTheEagle and was too lazy to scroll back up and quote his post

I've caught up now.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby xu9697 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:47 am

Diaco went to Iowa. Ferentz might actually finally take the NFL jump (Browns rumored to be one possiblity).

Is it possible that Diaco wanted an out for Iowa, and that was a main sticking point?

I certainly don't want to be in the position that many have been in recently with 1 year coaches (or...maybe not even a year!). Not saying that means we should have hired Addazio, but I can at least understand if that was a sticking point.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:54 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I know you struggle with reading comprehension (probably makes you a bad lawyer) and telling the truth (probably mitigates the latter somewhat), but I said it is incorrect to assume that BC decided not to offer Diaco, I did not say it is correct to assume BC did not offer Diaco. This is not a subtle difference, it is the difference between what we know and what we don't know.

The universe of possible scenarios I can think of (things we know - he interviewed, he didn't take the job either by choice or because it was not offered):

3. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Addazio was a superior candidate;
4. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Diaco interviewed poorly;
5. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Diaco would leave within 3 years;
6. BC did not make an offer to Diaco at all because it decided Diaco was too much of a risk under the circumstances;

I'd like to know on what basis you believe it is more likely that 3-6 occurred than 2? I have heard nothing to support this except that he later interviewed for Temple and that he didn't take other jobs, which doesn't really tell much. ATL and BCWest said he was a candidate, we've heard from many sources that he interviewed. The gap in information is what happened next. Of course you claim as fact the scenario which fits your simplified, "the administration is always to blame and if they just were more ambitious everything would be fine" theory of all things sports failures.

Look what you actually wrote. You think it is “equally likely he rejected us” and then you allude to BC and money.

You subsequently attempt to re-state your position and offer a list of potential scenarios… only 2 of which involve Diaco turning us down.

Based on all this, it seems you have difficulty expressing your thoughts in the written form (which probably means you are stupid) and mitigates the rest of your posts. I will do the board a favor and repost what you meant to convey: I really don’t know what happened with Diaco (whether he rejected us or we rejected him). Either way it raises issues (one of which could be BC’s financial commitment to the football program).

As for non-ATL and non-West info (both of which you quickly reject whenever it doesn’t suit your agenda)…
http://articles.southbendtribune.com/20 ... ohn-chavis
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... oordinator
http://chicago.sbnation.com/notre-dame- ... azio-diaco
If BC couldn’t agree to financial terms with Diaco or if Diaco opted to stay at ND, the headlines and subsequent stories from those who cover ND the closest would read quite differently.

BTW… I enjoy you, MattTheEagle and pedro all on the same side of this issue. I’m glad I could unite the board’s stupidity behind a singular cause.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Look what you actually wrote. You think it is “equally likely he rejected us” and then you allude to BC and money.

You subsequently attempt to re-state your position and offer a list of potential scenarios… only 2 of which involve Diaco turning us down.

Based on all this, it seems you have difficulty expressing your thoughts in the written form (which probably means you are stupid) and mitigates the rest of your posts. I will do the board a favor and repost what you meant to convey: I really don’t know what happened with Diaco (whether he rejected us or we rejected him). Either way it raises issues (one of which could be BC’s financial commitment to the football program).

As for non-ATL and non-West info (both of which you quickly reject whenever it doesn’t suit your agenda)…
If BC couldn’t agree to financial terms with Diaco or if Diaco opted to stay at ND, the headlines and subsequent stories from those who cover ND the closest would read quite differently.

BTW… I enjoy you, MattTheEagle and pedro all on the same side of this issue. I’m glad I could unite the board’s stupidity behind a singular cause.

The "issue" as you deem it is that we are willing to concede that we are unsure of what occurred, while you insist that the angry chatter of disillusioned Diaco ball-lickers is the loudest and therefore fact. The only "cause" that unites us is pointing out your disingenous nature in dealing with any topic that you can weave into your agenda which has been proven time and again without fail.

THose headliens and stories are all vague - the definitiveness of the verbs and modifiers used is due to the subjectiveness of the reader. In this case, your extreme desire to place everything squarely in your agenda.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

My two posts aren't inconsistent. It's really not worth the trouble to explain why, see if you can figure it out (you'll never figure it out because you're retarded - the answer is that I didn't suggest the 7 non exhaustive possibilities were equally weighted).

Of your three articles, the first two don't say what you are claiming they do. You are retarded. The Third one is not an article it is an sbnation post, but it is understandable that you would confuse the two because you are retarded.

The part I assume you are citing from the first:

By Tuesday evening, Diaco's future with Boston College was put to rest when BC athletic director Brad Bates named Steve Addazio its new head coach.

It was the first true roller coaster day of head coach hirings around the country with Bret Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas and Gus Malzahn returning to Auburn as head coach. In a college football landscape that has seen the SEC win the last six BCS national championships, fittingly programs in the conference started the head coach hiring.

And it most likely won't be the last day that Diaco will be linked with head coaching position in the coming weeks. The Badgers now have an opening and Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez is a former Notre Dame assistant coach under Lou Holtz. California continues to look for a head coach and its AD, Sandy Barbour, worked in the ND athletic department from 2000-04.

But the Boston College job seemed to make the most sense for Diaco, the New Jersey native who recruits many of the same spots on the East Coast for Notre Dame now that the Eagles coach would need to harvest to be successful.

From the second:

Diaco was among the top three candidates for Boston College's head-coaching vacancy, multiple sources confirmed to the Tribune, before the Eagles made a surprise hire by luring away Temple coach Steve Addazio on Tuesday.

Have I mentioned that I think you are retarded because I do. You are retarded.

Pedro is not retarded, MattheEagle might be.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium