Staff to date

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Staff to date

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:35 am

From yesterday morning:

2012 Top Atlantic Division assistants
December, 17, 2012
10:00AM ET
By Heather Dinich | ESPN.com

BOSTON COLLEGE – Wide receivers coach Aaron Smith. In his first season with the program, Smith helped junior Alex Amidon develop into one of the ACC’s best. Amidon’s 1,210 yards receiving at the end of the regular season ranked second in the ACC, just four yards behind DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson. The entire group, including Johnathan Coleman, Bobby Swigert and Spiffy Evans, had one of its more productive seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/49910/2012-top-atlantic-division-assistants

:81
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 am

Ha ha ha!

We are so fucking Clownshoes.

Daziani let's go of one of the few productive assistants but will seemingly keep several that were all integral parts of the dismantling of BC Football?

What a disaster this has all been!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:42 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Day doesn't do much for me but I guess it could be much worse. For me it's Devine (most importantly because he's horrible and not a good recruiter as everyone says), Commisiong, and Siravo that HAVE to go. It's too bad Martin couldn't stay on one more year as a QB coach or something to help chase in his last year.

In an interview on TOS, some kid that visited this past weekend said that Devine is his recruiter. So I guess we can CONFIRM that he has been retained.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 am

My least favorite staff members are from worst to best: Devine, Bollman, Commissiong, Desai, Siravo (as DB coach only not recruiting coordinator), Martin, Smith, McGovern (as LB coach). (I'm leaving Washington off as a sentimental pick whose role I really don't understand).

Smith was pretty inoffensive but I don't remember him being mentioned with a single recruit, nor do I really give too much credit for the receivers improvement since it coincided with an offensive philosophy change and an inability to run. That said, he would have been my second choice for retention.

Devine is just so unbelievably bad it staggers my thought process and makes me more down on Day than I'd otherwise be (assuming there is a causal relation between the two hires). He has been horrendous in New England recruiting (although that could just be Spaz) and of course was a major player in killing our best institutional position group. Commish is pretty close to this category too.

Regardless this kind of retention is confusing at best. It certainly seems like they are doing whatever they can to get back to 6-7 wins as surely as possible but how the "stability" lesson hasn't been learned by now, I have no idea. I guess I see the "recruiting the northeast" angle, but as others have mentioned even if McGovern was a great recruiting for TOB when he was 42 doesn't mean he still will be at age 50, Devine has certainly never impressed, Day was (I believe) Haden's recruiter in the first Jags class and there was some buzz, but mostly he seemed to whiff after that also I doubt he does a whole lot of recruiting as OC.

I really want the Temple running backs coach and wouldn't mind Heater. Frye as the OL coach is a major question mark, but I will give Addazio more room their than elsewhere.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bc41irish39 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

The current staff, for the most part, is under contract until May and are thus out recruiting. This does not mean they have been retained.
bc41irish39
n00b

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34 am

If your a legitimate serious coach you will be out recruiting until you are specifically told you no longer have a job at the school. A new head coach is going to keep these guys on the road until he has a replacement because otherwise nobody is recruiting. Until its official I wouldn't assume anything about the staff. Also Smith was a big part of Willis' recruitment.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:If your a legitimate serious coach you will be out recruiting until you are specifically told you no longer have a job at the school. A new head coach is going to keep these guys on the road until he has a replacement because otherwise nobody is recruiting. Until its official I wouldn't assume anything about the staff. Also Smith was a big part of Willis' recruitment.

It has been two weeks. Don't the coaches know if they are being retained or not? It sounds like Smith knows. If I am the HC, I don't want an assistant coach that knows that he will not be retained, talking to any recruits.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 am

I don't know who is staying or going yet. I know that McGovern and Washington have BC's support (so there is probably pressure on Addazio there). Siravo and Devine are and/or were close with Day so they might be retained. But the NCAA limits 10 coaches to recruiting so it makes sense that Smith was officially dumped. With Martin, Spaz and Smith gone officially, Day, Addazio and Frye can recruit in their place. I imagine the rest of the staff will get filled out like that. If Addizio keeps Siravo he'll be making a big mistake.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I know for basketball, the Final Four is a huge weekend for coaches' networking, and a lot of new head coaches try to pull in assistants based on conversations there. I'm not 100% sure it works the same way with football, but I figure there will be a lot of movement on assistants in the week leading up to the championship game. Also because bowl teams' seasons will have just ended.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:My least favorite staff members are from worst to best: Devine, Bollman, Commissiong, Desai, Siravo (as DB coach only not recruiting coordinator), Martin, Smith, McGovern (as LB coach). (I'm leaving Washington off as a sentimental pick whose role I really don't understand).

Smith was pretty inoffensive but I don't remember him being mentioned with a single recruit, nor do I really give too much credit for the receivers improvement since it coincided with an offensive philosophy change and an inability to run. That said, he would have been my second choice for retention.

Devine is just so unbelievably bad it staggers my thought process and makes me more down on Day than I'd otherwise be (assuming there is a causal relation between the two hires). He has been horrendous in New England recruiting (although that could just be Spaz) and of course was a major player in killing our best institutional position group. Commish is pretty close to this category too.

Regardless this kind of retention is confusing at best. It certainly seems like they are doing whatever they can to get back to 6-7 wins as surely as possible but how the "stability" lesson hasn't been learned by now, I have no idea. I guess I see the "recruiting the northeast" angle, but as others have mentioned even if McGovern was a great recruiting for TOB when he was 42 doesn't mean he still will be at age 50, Devine has certainly never impressed, Day was (I believe) Haden's recruiter in the first Jags class and there was some buzz, but mostly he seemed to whiff after that also I doubt he does a whole lot of recruiting as OC.

I really want the Temple running backs coach and wouldn't mind Heater. Frye as the OL coach is a major question mark, but I will give Addazio more room their than elsewhere.

I agree with most of this. I think Devine is really awful, definitely my least favorite staff member. And to those that say hes a good recruiter, wasn't he responsible for Massachusetts recruiting during the Spaz regime which was a disaster. I personally think Desai and Washington are the only 2 guys that should be retained (McGovern as a LB coach would be great too but not as DC). Young, minority coaches are essential in recruiting. Both have established areas of recruiting (AW in ohio/maryland, Desai in Florida) and the unit they were responsible for this year saw improvement (ST). I would have no problem making Desai ST coach and AW defensive line coach.

Siravo was fine coaching in Spaz's system but I want no part of him (and his shit recruiting philosophy) going forward. Commisiong was fine when he had 1st/2nd round picks in the middle, other than that no thanks (and he couldn't even come close to getting his cousin to commit). Tough to tell what kind of role Smith played as the WR situation this year was a mixed bag (moot point since he has apparently been let go).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:If your a legitimate serious coach you will be out recruiting until you are specifically told you no longer have a job at the school. A new head coach is going to keep these guys on the road until he has a replacement because otherwise nobody is recruiting. Until its official I wouldn't assume anything about the staff. Also Smith was a big part of Willis' recruitment.

Yea HJS must not follow Myles Willis on twitter, because he constantly says how close is he with Smith.

On another note, Addazio seems to clearly be focused on recruiting. I hate Devine.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:07 pm

If my sources are correct, you guys are fretting over nothing.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Mod34b on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}: I personally think Desai and Washington are the only 2 guys that should be retained (McGovern as a LB coach would be great too but not as DC). Young, minority coaches are essential in recruiting. Both have established areas of recruiting (AW in ohio/maryland, Desai in Florida) and the unit they were responsible for this year saw improvement (ST). I would have no problem making Desai ST coach and AW defensive line coach.

Sean Desai as ST coach?? This is a guy who never played college football, and whose most siginificant coaching experience prior to BC was: "Desai served as defensive coordinator and wide receivers coach for the freshman squad at Shelton (Conn.) High School, his alma mater, from 2001 to 2005. Desai was the co-founder and inaugural president of a not-for-profit youth organization – Vraj Youth Committee"

BC can, should and must do better than Sean Desai being in charge of 1/3 of the football progam as ST coach.

Wow.
Mod34b

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Yea HJS must not follow Myles Willis on twitter, because he constantly says how close is he with Smith.

On another note, Addazio seems to clearly be focused on recruiting. I hate Devine.

First, I don't follow anyone on Twitter as social media is gay
Second, if I was on Twitter, I sure as fuck wouldn't be stalking a 17 high schooler.
Third, what the fuck did I ever say about Smith in this thread? I actually liked him.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}: I personally think Desai and Washington are the only 2 guys that should be retained (McGovern as a LB coach would be great too but not as DC). Young, minority coaches are essential in recruiting. Both have established areas of recruiting (AW in ohio/maryland, Desai in Florida) and the unit they were responsible for this year saw improvement (ST). I would have no problem making Desai ST coach and AW defensive line coach.

Sean Desai as ST coach?? This is a guy who never played college football, and whose most siginificant coaching experience prior to BC was: "Desai served as defensive coordinator and wide receivers coach for the freshman squad at Shelton (Conn.) High School, his alma mater, from 2001 to 2005. Desai was the co-founder and inaugural president of a not-for-profit youth organization – Vraj Youth Committee"

BC can, should and must do better than Sean Desai being in charge of 1/3 of the football progam as ST coach.

Wow.

Judging coaches on whether or not they have played said sport before is dumb.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Wow.

I agree.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Mod34b on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Wow.

I agree.

Playing experience matters. Just look around >>> 99% of FBS coaches played college ball. There is a reason for such a "dumb" experience qualification. Maybe you now want to cite to Mike Leach and Chip Kelley as the rule rather than the exception. Sure it can be overcome, but it matters. (by the way, Leach and Kelley each coached for over a decade in the lower leagues before getitng an FBS/BCS gig)

In any event, Desai never played college football AND has no signifcant college coaching experience. Capice??

But to my main point: don't you think BC can do better than SEAN DESAI as ST coach??
Mod34b

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 pm

This seems like one of those times where correlation and causation come into play. Not saying that your second point is invalid but your first point should be more of a non-starter if anything.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:05 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:This seems like one of those times where correlation and causation come into play. Not saying that your second point is invalid but your first point should be more of a non-starter if anything.

Yup. Not a big shock that most coaches played football and learned the game by doing so. That, however, does not lead to the conclusion that playing football is the only way to learn to be a coach.

A lot of offspring of attorneys become good attorneys, but that doesn't mean that one needs to be the offspring of an attorney to be a good attorney.

Speaking of which, Mike Leach is both a lawyer and a football coach, but never played college football.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

IBpedia {l Wrote}:Leach is atypical among NCAA Division I head football coaches in that he did not play football at the college level. He was one of only seven such coaches, with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, David Cutcliffe at Duke, George O'Leary at UCF, Bobby Hauck at UNLV, Charlie Weis at Kansas, and Chip Kelly at Oregon.

Some pretty good names there.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:A lot of offspring of attorneys become good attorneys, but that doesn't mean that one needs to be the offspring of an attorney to be a good attorney.

a lot are jerks too, as long as we're painting with a broad brush
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
IBpedia {l Wrote}:Leach is atypical among NCAA Division I head football coaches in that he did not play football at the college level. He was one of only seven such coaches, with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, David Cutcliffe at Duke, George O'Leary at UCF, Bobby Hauck at UNLV, Charlie Weis at Kansas, and Chip Kelly at Oregon.

Some pretty good names there.

I would easily take 5 of the 7 in a heartbeat over our current HC. 1 i probably would but would want to doublecheck his resume. The other 1 I am not familiar enough with to say definitively.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm

bc41irish39 {l Wrote}:The current staff, for the most part, is under contract until May and are thus out recruiting. This does not mean they have been retained.

Doubt anyone of them would voluntarily say no to getting paid through May, so we will fire 1 coach each time a new hire is made?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Sounds like Guvs actually is staying on as the LB coach. Like I said, Brown and Guvs are tight.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Ryan Day - Offensive Coordinator
Don Brown - Defensive Coordinator
Justin Frye - offensive assistant
Bill McGovern - Linebackers

Five more coaches to go.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Ryan Day - Offensive Coordinator

Five more coaches to go.

I can't stand the idea of Day as OC, but look at the bright side, it is an upgrade over the new head coach calling the plays. At least Day believes in the forward pass in his spread option, and had an opportunity to see Logan adjust based on personnel.

Don't know much about Frye. The Brown McGovern combination strikes me as a very good one.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Ryan Day - Offensive Coordinator

Five more coaches to go.

Throw Heater in as DB coach and that's a damn good defensive staff (regardless of whomever coaches the DL). Given the Brown hiring, I'd be OK with Washington staying now too.

BC needs to hire a big time OL coach and stay away from Siravo and ill be pretty happy with the staff Adazio assembled
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 am

You've got to be at least a little bit intrigued by Ryan Day based on his New Hampshire roots (seems to breed some great coaches), his previous experience at Florida under Urban Meyer, and his knowledge of Boston College.

Whether you agree or not, I don't really give a shit....but he did a pretty good job with BC as receivers coach. Fact is, BC can't recruit WR's for whatever reason. He turned a crapshoot from 2007-2009 into a productive group. In 2010 at BC, he had to work with a freshmen unit with a true freshman quarterback and they did O.K. for having Spaz as a coach and Tranquil as OC. The best WR coach in the league probably couldn't field a very successful group with Spaz and whoever happened to be OC at the time in 2011 (mulligan for him there)

If you notice Temple's stats from last year, whenever Montel was healthy, he produced extremely well. Al Golden's receivers were gone, left for the NFL or graduated.

Temple's QB situation this past year:
Chris Coyer was a 2 star (Golden) recruit who can't throw and Clint Granger was a JC quarterback and no star recruit.

Overall (my point):
Sick of people saying Addazio couldn't win with Golden's guys and Day being an issue at OC, you need a quarterback to win and they didn't have one of those or receivers to throw to. They had a skilled running back and he produced big time when healthy. Day was the first guy Daz brought to BC with him, even though others were available including Scott Loeffler who was OC when Temple went 9-4. I want to see what he can do.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:You've got to be at least a little bit intrigued by Ryan Day based on his New Hampshire roots (seems to breed some great coaches), his previous experience at Florida under Urban Meyer, and his knowledge of Boston College.

This all intrigued me four years ago.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:20 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:You've got to be at least a little bit intrigued by Ryan Day based on his New Hampshire roots (seems to breed some great coaches), his previous experience at Florida under Urban Meyer, and his knowledge of Boston College.

This all intrigued me four years ago.

I'm a recruiting guy and I know Chris Coyer. You can't win with him as your starting quarterback. He's the only impact player on the field to touch the ball on every play. Inconsistent running game with Montel injured most of last year. He was doomed to fail and I want to see what he can do with some offensive talent (assuming the line continues to improve).
Shaddix
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium