3:00 Press Conference

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

eagle9903 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like the enthusiasm. Attitude is important when you're motivating young people so he's definitely a big upgrade over Coach Shucks.


yes, he was annoying but that's fine, we're not really the target audience. If I wasn't pissed off about his horrendous Offensive coordinator hire and reputation for conservative playcalling and general inability to not be Diaco or Golden, it would have been an enjoyable press conference.


This. Plus as Gordon Gekko says to Bud Fox, "save me the cheap salesman pitch, Fox." It just sounds too contrived.
Cadillac90
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:51 pm
Karma: 195

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby ClubMed93 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.
ClubMed93
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:39 pm
Karma: 10

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Endless Mike wrote:I feel like he was coached to say that BC is his dream job and then he was grilled about it during the question and answer segment-- like Buckley asking him "what is the long haul?" It really infuriates me that there is still a contingent that worries more about a coach leaving than a coach sucking.



Agree. It was the rationale that brought us Henning and, partly, Spazarelli.
FREE KRAFT
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 7922
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 126

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby cremins on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:55 pm

i dont love the hire and i think bates made the safe choice here. think he was too scared to
swing and miss on his first move rather than go for it. after hearing the press conference, i love
his attitude and emotion. we really need that and if he can recruit that is a big positive but we
still have to win some games in order to get the recruits. i do believe him that this was his dream
job, and if he can keep the emotion level high throghout and get this kids playing hard, we got a
shot. we have a good qb and good rbs and he has some lbers to play with. they played hard for
a lazy and unmotivated coach, now they have one that is ready to battle with them. got a little
more positive feel after that press confefrence
cremins
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:29 am
Karma: -14

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby BCdee on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I hope he can recruit some SEC or ACC speeeeeeed...I will take either!! It will be a big improvement over the Patriot League speed we have now.
BC!
User avatar
BCdee
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:07 am
Location: SC
Karma: 994

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 pm

From Twitter, sounds like they wouldn't CONFIRM Rogers or Heater, only Day.
Image
User avatar
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 6639
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:14 pm
Karma: 1165

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 pm

b0mberMan wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like the enthusiasm. Attitude is important when you're motivating young people so he's definitely a big upgrade over Coach Shucks.

There is the alternate view that my friend just IMed me:

"i didnt sign up for a fat fucking mustached cheerleader who is going to offer dry handies to everyone on campus"


reply to 81 that we miss him and hope he comes back
marty j, heinz hammer, and jimmy mac have ruined the athletic programs of this school. until they are all sent out to pasture, i take my leave of this shithole and all other things bc. your pal, tre (rhymes with "seriously, fuck those 3")
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 20650
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5704

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 pm

ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby BCEagle05 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Cadillac90 wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like the enthusiasm. Attitude is important when you're motivating young people so he's definitely a big upgrade over Coach Shucks.


yes, he was annoying but that's fine, we're not really the target audience. If I wasn't pissed off about his horrendous Offensive coordinator hire and reputation for conservative playcalling and general inability to not be Diaco or Golden, it would have been an enjoyable press conference.


This. Plus as Gordon Gekko says to Bud Fox, "save me the cheap salesman pitch, Fox." It just sounds too contrived.



Amen. There was not a single bit of that which came across as authentic to me. And if that's what it takes to be a "recruiting genius" then high school seniors are a hell of a lot dumber than I give them credit for. What exactly is supposed to excite me about this? The fact that he was able to somewhat successfully name drop random facts and people associated with BC? The fact that he correctly identified offense, defense, and special teams as being the three phases of the game? The fact that he paced around the room with a VERY. SERIOUS. TONE of voice? The fact that a guy who came from the University of Florida went out of his way to ballwash our stadium?

This guy is a grade A stooge, and the fact that Bates was dumb enough to fall for his rah-rah schtick makes me think he is a hell of a lot dumber than we ever could have imagined. But don't worry, we have Ryan "brilliant young mind" Day coming our way. Ever heard of him? I hear he's a Chip Kelly protege. Can't miss! You guys are gonna love him. And at least Mark Herzlich will be recovered from brain cancer in time for the Jets stretch run this season. And apparently Father Himes can look forward to running a few practices here and there, because we're getting the faculty involved!

What a disappointment.
BCEagle05
n00b
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 am
Karma: 3

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:17 pm

BCEagle05 wrote:
Cadillac90 wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like the enthusiasm. Attitude is important when you're motivating young people so he's definitely a big upgrade over Coach Shucks.


yes, he was annoying but that's fine, we're not really the target audience. If I wasn't pissed off about his horrendous Offensive coordinator hire and reputation for conservative playcalling and general inability to not be Diaco or Golden, it would have been an enjoyable press conference.


This. Plus as Gordon Gekko says to Bud Fox, "save me the cheap salesman pitch, Fox." It just sounds too contrived.



Amen. There was not a single bit of that which came across as authentic to me. And if that's what it takes to be a "recruiting genius" then high school seniors are a hell of a lot dumber than I give them credit for. What exactly is supposed to excite me about this? The fact that he was able to somewhat successfully name drop random facts and people associated with BC? The fact that he correctly identified offense, defense, and special teams as being the three phases of the game? The fact that he paced around the room with a VERY. SERIOUS. TONE of voice? The fact that a guy who came from the University of Florida went out of his way to ballwash our stadium?

This guy is a grade A stooge, and the fact that Bates was dumb enough to fall for his rah-rah schtick makes me think he is a hell of a lot dumber than we ever could have imagined. But don't worry, we have Ryan "brilliant young mind" Day coming our way. Ever heard of him? I hear he's a Chip Kelly protege. Can't miss! You guys are gonna love him. And at least Mark Herzlich will be recovered from brain cancer in time for the Jets stretch run this season. And apparently Father Himes can look forward to running a few practices here and there, because we're getting the faculty involved!

What a disappointment.


I agree. He should have at least be 1-0 a day after his hiring.

And no, I'm not convinced he's a stud or drooling over the hire...but what exactly do you think a head football coach should be saying? A lot of dealing with the media, fans, and bosses is a schtick. Criticism of bringing in Day are legit. Criticisms of him being excited are stupid and reek of the inability to analyze outside of an all or nothing mindframe.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 pm

pick6pedro wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.


Exactly. That and the fact that the comment was designed for the ears of one Chase Rettig led me to the Ryan/Mallett comment.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30772
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2423

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby ClubMed93 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 pm

pick6pedro wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.

So, while Coach is trying to figure out whether he should run the wishbone or the run and shoot around here, which by your measure should take at least 3 years (next year plus two classes to "feel out" recruiting), we should amass a grand total of about 10 wins. Greaaaat.
ClubMed93
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:39 pm
Karma: 10

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I don't know what you guys were watching, but I thought it was an A+ presser. He makes you want to listen.

It seemed like it was a pretty diverse audience, which was good in that he didn't get the softball fluff from the major media outlets. At the same time he got some really really stupid questions.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 pm
Karma: 30

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:26 pm

ClubMed93 wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.

So, while Coach is trying to figure out whether he should run the wishbone or the run and shoot around here, which by your measure should take at least 3 years (next year plus two classes to "feel out" recruiting), we should amass a grand total of about 10 wins. Greaaaat.


Speaking of special teams...
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm

ClubMed93 wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.

So, while Coach is trying to figure out whether he should run the wishbone or the run and shoot around here, which by your measure should take at least 3 years (next year plus two classes to "feel out" recruiting), we should amass a grand total of about 10 wins. Greaaaat.


That's not the point. The point is that if the best player on campus is the pocket passing QB, you don't come in talking about your spread option offense. See Logan, Steve.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30772
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2423

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby BCEagle05 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:28 pm

That entire performance belongs in a dictionary next to the caption "trying way too hard".

I think he should be acting like someone who isn't trying to sell me a used Buick. That he should talk less about his goddamned golden retriever, worry less about sucking up to every single person in the room and on the campus as if he's going to prove something, and speak in a measured and intelligent manner about how the fuck he plans to turn around our train wreck of a football team. Reciting empty cliche and platitudes that vaguely relate to football does not accomplish that for me. I am insulted that both Bates and Addazio think that we're stupid enough that a fake pregame pep talk is going to blind us to the fact that we're being sold the same warmed over bill of goods BUT LOUDER THIS TIME. The whole thing felt completely empty and devoid of any real meaning to me. Don't tell me BC is your dream job when you've said the same thing about Temple, and most assuredly said the same thing about UConn. This guy is a clown, and the fact that Bates bought his bill of goods makes me think that our Athletic Department is completely screwed for the forseeable future.
BCEagle05
n00b
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 am
Karma: 3

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:31 pm

BCEagle05 wrote:That entire performance belongs in a dictionary next to the caption "trying way too hard".

I think he should be acting like someone who isn't trying to sell me a used Buick. That he should talk less about his goddamned golden retriever, worry less about sucking up to every single person in the room and on the campus as if he's going to prove something, and speak in a measured and intelligent manner about how the fuck he plans to turn around our train wreck of a football team. Reciting empty cliche and platitudes that vaguely relate to football does not accomplish that for me. I am insulted that both Bates and Addazio think that we're stupid enough that a fake pregame pep talk is going to blind us to the fact that we're being sold the same warmed over bill of goods BUT LOUDER THIS TIME. The whole thing felt completely empty and devoid of any real meaning to me. Don't tell me BC is your dream job when you've said the same thing about Temple, and most assuredly said the same thing about UConn. This guy is a clown, and the fact that Bates bought his bill of goods makes me think that our Athletic Department is completely screwed for the forseeable future.


Christ. The biggest problem in the YAC was the complete lack of enthusiasm. Now we have people upset because the coach is a cheerleader. BC fans have become pre-2004 Red Sox fans (the ones that were obnoxious about losing rather than the ones that are obnoxious about having won).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30772
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2423

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:31 pm

BCEagle05 wrote:That entire performance belongs in a dictionary next to the caption "trying way too hard".

I think he should be acting like someone who isn't trying to sell me a used Buick. That he should talk less about his goddamned golden retriever, worry less about sucking up to every single person in the room and on the campus as if he's going to prove something, and speak in a measured and intelligent manner about how the fuck he plans to turn around our train wreck of a football team. Reciting empty cliche and platitudes that vaguely relate to football does not accomplish that for me. I am insulted that both Bates and Addazio think that we're stupid enough that a fake pregame pep talk is going to blind us to the fact that we're being sold the same warmed over bill of goods BUT LOUDER THIS TIME. The whole thing felt completely empty and devoid of any real meaning to me. Don't tell me BC is your dream job when you've said the same thing about Temple, and most assuredly said the same thing about UConn. This guy is a clown, and the fact that Bates bought his bill of goods makes me think that our Athletic Department is completely screwed for the forseeable future.


Jesus, now we're complaining about trying too hard. Our fanbase has been fucked up beyond repair.

Again, despite the sun revolving around you, you were not the sole or primary intended audience.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm

pick6pedro wrote:
BCEagle05 wrote:
Cadillac90 wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like the enthusiasm. Attitude is important when you're motivating young people so he's definitely a big upgrade over Coach Shucks.


yes, he was annoying but that's fine, we're not really the target audience. If I wasn't pissed off about his horrendous Offensive coordinator hire and reputation for conservative playcalling and general inability to not be Diaco or Golden, it would have been an enjoyable press conference.


This. Plus as Gordon Gekko says to Bud Fox, "save me the cheap salesman pitch, Fox." It just sounds too contrived.



Amen. There was not a single bit of that which came across as authentic to me. And if that's what it takes to be a "recruiting genius" then high school seniors are a hell of a lot dumber than I give them credit for. What exactly is supposed to excite me about this? The fact that he was able to somewhat successfully name drop random facts and people associated with BC? The fact that he correctly identified offense, defense, and special teams as being the three phases of the game? The fact that he paced around the room with a VERY. SERIOUS. TONE of voice? The fact that a guy who came from the University of Florida went out of his way to ballwash our stadium?

This guy is a grade A stooge, and the fact that Bates was dumb enough to fall for his rah-rah schtick makes me think he is a hell of a lot dumber than we ever could have imagined. But don't worry, we have Ryan "brilliant young mind" Day coming our way. Ever heard of him? I hear he's a Chip Kelly protege. Can't miss! You guys are gonna love him. And at least Mark Herzlich will be recovered from brain cancer in time for the Jets stretch run this season. And apparently Father Himes can look forward to running a few practices here and there, because we're getting the faculty involved!

What a disappointment.


I agree. He should have at least be 1-0 a day after his hiring.

And no, I'm not convinced he's a stud or drooling over the hire...but what exactly do you think a head football coach should be saying? A lot of dealing with the media, fans, and bosses is a schtick. Criticism of bringing in Day are legit. Criticisms of him being excited are stupid and reek of the inability to analyze outside of an all or nothing mindframe.

We are intelligent adults who would never get suckered in on that BS. However, as proven by Bates, dumb jocks just eat that shit up. This is what a snake oil salesman sounds like and that is precisely what you need in recruiting. That said... what I think this really shows is the overarching problem with this hire... no one is going to give this guy any honeymoon period. And, given the crap state of the program, the next coach needed the fans to support him while everything got turned around. From a PR perspective, the guy may be good in speeches and interviews, but he walks into this job with so much baggage that we are all just looking for ways to convince ourselves that this will be over in two years.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14103
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 229

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:38 pm

HJS wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
BCEagle05 wrote:
Cadillac90 wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like the enthusiasm. Attitude is important when you're motivating young people so he's definitely a big upgrade over Coach Shucks.


yes, he was annoying but that's fine, we're not really the target audience. If I wasn't pissed off about his horrendous Offensive coordinator hire and reputation for conservative playcalling and general inability to not be Diaco or Golden, it would have been an enjoyable press conference.


This. Plus as Gordon Gekko says to Bud Fox, "save me the cheap salesman pitch, Fox." It just sounds too contrived.



Amen. There was not a single bit of that which came across as authentic to me. And if that's what it takes to be a "recruiting genius" then high school seniors are a hell of a lot dumber than I give them credit for. What exactly is supposed to excite me about this? The fact that he was able to somewhat successfully name drop random facts and people associated with BC? The fact that he correctly identified offense, defense, and special teams as being the three phases of the game? The fact that he paced around the room with a VERY. SERIOUS. TONE of voice? The fact that a guy who came from the University of Florida went out of his way to ballwash our stadium?

This guy is a grade A stooge, and the fact that Bates was dumb enough to fall for his rah-rah schtick makes me think he is a hell of a lot dumber than we ever could have imagined. But don't worry, we have Ryan "brilliant young mind" Day coming our way. Ever heard of him? I hear he's a Chip Kelly protege. Can't miss! You guys are gonna love him. And at least Mark Herzlich will be recovered from brain cancer in time for the Jets stretch run this season. And apparently Father Himes can look forward to running a few practices here and there, because we're getting the faculty involved!

What a disappointment.


I agree. He should have at least be 1-0 a day after his hiring.

And no, I'm not convinced he's a stud or drooling over the hire...but what exactly do you think a head football coach should be saying? A lot of dealing with the media, fans, and bosses is a schtick. Criticism of bringing in Day are legit. Criticisms of him being excited are stupid and reek of the inability to analyze outside of an all or nothing mindframe.

We are intelligent adults who would never get suckered in on that BS. However, as proven by Bates, dumb jocks just eat that shit up. This is what a snake oil salesman sounds like and that is precisely what you need in recruiting. That said... what I think this really shows is the overarching problem with this hirer... no one is going to give this guy any honeymoon period. And, given the crap state of the program, the next coach needed the fans to support him while everything got turned around. From a PR perspective, the guy may be good in speeches and interviews, but he walks into this job with so much baggage that we are all just looking for ways to convince ourselves that this will be over in two years.


The fan support is not going to turn on his opening press conference. The biggest problem with this hire is if there were better guys who were interested, not if the fan base is 100% behind it. By the way, most average fans are totally behind this and excited to see a guy with Florida and Nattys on his resume. Many of the hardcore fans are going to be around anyway...how many of the people here who had "given up" tuned in to the presser? You overestimate the size and influence of the remainder of the fans. If he wins even just below TOB level, a portion of those hardcores are likely to be back. The product needs to be the primary focus right now, not pleasing every fan (which is important but not #1 at this time). Every candidate had questions...but I know your world is black and white, so why do I bother?
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Imagine if porn stars had interviews like this. It would be amazing.

I AM GOING TO FUCK. ALL THE WOMEN IN THIS ROOM. AND THAT OLD GUY ASKING THE QUESTIONS, HE'S GOING TO POP WOOD FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE NIXON PRESIDENCY. STUDENTS. MY VISION. MY WANG. ALL THE HYMENS WITHIN A ONE HUNDRED MILE RADIUS ARE GOING TO EXPLODE. FOOTBALL! FUCKING!

Oh good Lord. I can't wait for this thing to start taking on water. At this point, the best this board can ever hope for from coaching and AD searches is a fresh infusion of comedic material, and in this, Bates has outdone himself. Well done!
User avatar
TontoKowalski
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Karma: 1945

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby ClubMed93 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.

So, while Coach is trying to figure out whether he should run the wishbone or the run and shoot around here, which by your measure should take at least 3 years (next year plus two classes to "feel out" recruiting), we should amass a grand total of about 10 wins. Greaaaat.


That's not the point. The point is that if the best player on campus is the pocket passing QB, you don't come in talking about your spread option offense. See Logan, Steve.

Understand your point about that statement being for Rettig's ears (though I think you are giving Adds too much credit there). But my point is that, beyond this year, and starting with this class, the Head Coach better have a plan in terms of what type of kid he wants to recruit and what kind of system he wants to run.

Also you can stop with the gay lawyer citations now, you lawyer
ClubMed93
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:39 pm
Karma: 10

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:44 pm

pick6pedro wrote:
BCEagle05 wrote:That entire performance belongs in a dictionary next to the caption "trying way too hard".

I think he should be acting like someone who isn't trying to sell me a used Buick. That he should talk less about his goddamned golden retriever, worry less about sucking up to every single person in the room and on the campus as if he's going to prove something, and speak in a measured and intelligent manner about how the fuck he plans to turn around our train wreck of a football team. Reciting empty cliche and platitudes that vaguely relate to football does not accomplish that for me. I am insulted that both Bates and Addazio think that we're stupid enough that a fake pregame pep talk is going to blind us to the fact that we're being sold the same warmed over bill of goods BUT LOUDER THIS TIME. The whole thing felt completely empty and devoid of any real meaning to me. Don't tell me BC is your dream job when you've said the same thing about Temple, and most assuredly said the same thing about UConn. This guy is a clown, and the fact that Bates bought his bill of goods makes me think that our Athletic Department is completely screwed for the forseeable future.


Jesus, now we're complaining about trying too hard. Our fanbase has been fucked up beyond repair.

Again, despite the sun revolving around you, you were not the sole or primary intended audience.


Come on, he was way over-the-top with some of the shit he was spewing. He was acting like a bafoon. Yes, I like to see the enthusiasm as opposed to Coach Fuckface and the Hen but as I said, it was overdone and didn't seem genuine. I may also be jaded given the shithead's hiring of Ryan Fucking Day and Kevin Rogers.
Cadillac90
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:51 pm
Karma: 195

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:46 pm

ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
ClubMed93 wrote:Our offense will be dictated by our personnel ?!?!?

It's supposed to be the other way around

Way to have a vision and a plan and a program and the belief and fortitude and confidence to stick to it


Bullshit. Good coaches design offenses for the best players they can get, not get the best players to fit their system. See, Logan, Steve v. Rodriguez, Rich.

RichRod never recruited skill positions to fit his system which he's been running forever?

Logan didn't bring the spread from ECU to BC?

Got it, thanks.


Logan adapted to include Ryan in an offense designed for Jeff Blake.

Rich Rod could not make use of Ryan Mallet.

You are welcome.

It was still Logan's offense, it was the spread, and it was a far cry from Dana's offense.

RichRod turned a bunch of other guys into stars because he had a system and a vision and they fit into it. Pat White get drafted in second round!

Point is that we're not getting five stars (sorry, recruiting weirdos). They'll be a smattering of four stars and mostly threes and twos. Of that group, we have to find out which guys fit our system and which do not. And for that to happen, we need to actually have a system, one that coaches understand and believe in and for guys to learn and grow up in. Otherwise we'll have a mediocre bunch of mismatched parts.


It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to recruit random pieces and then build a system around that. In fact, thinking he means that is pretty silly. I think he means that 1) at first, it'll have to be the best system for the plyers because it will be another guy's players for a while and 2) he may not know the exact level of talent that he can get to BC right away, but after feeling it out, he'll have a better idea how his hierachy of preferred systems and the players he is getting mesh for an optimal use of both. In addition, it'd be nice to have a guy that can adjust to injuries and opponents rather than shoehorn everything into a predetermined box.

So, while Coach is trying to figure out whether he should run the wishbone or the run and shoot around here, which by your measure should take at least 3 years (next year plus two classes to "feel out" recruiting), we should amass a grand total of about 10 wins. Greaaaat.


That's not the point. The point is that if the best player on campus is the pocket passing QB, you don't come in talking about your spread option offense. See Logan, Steve.

Understand your point about that statement being for Rettig's ears (though I think you are giving Adds too much credit there). But my point is that, beyond this year, and starting with this class, the Head Coach better have a plan in terms of what type of kid he wants to recruit and what kind of system he wants to run.

Also you can stop with the gay lawyer citations now, you lawyer


Why are you assuming that using the best system for the personnel means he won't be seeking personnel for a specific system? There's a lot of disconnect there.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:46 pm

pick6pedro wrote:Many of the hardcore fans are going to be around anyway...how many of the people here who had "given up" tuned in to the presser?


Oh, I admit I have a problem. Despite my carrying on about this hire, I will renew my tickets. If I renewed my tickets for Year Four of the Spaz Era, it's clear I'll renew them no matter who is coaching the team.
"I have history, and I understand history, so I know where we’ve been and where we are, and where we are trying to go, okay? But it’s been somewhere between 6.5 and 6.6 wins a year since 1980, which is 38 years. We’re at 7..."
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14953
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2911

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:49 pm

BCEagle05 wrote:That he should talk less about his goddamned golden retriever

C'mon, we went from a guy who didn't know what kind of dog he was looking at to a guy who can tell you, quite loudly and in a halting weird cadence, he has a golden retriever.

We've upgraded, baby.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9493
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby bignick33 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:49 pm

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:Many of the hardcore fans are going to be around anyway...how many of the people here who had "given up" tuned in to the presser?


Oh, I admit I have a problem. Despite my carrying on about this hire, I will renew my tickets. If I renewed my tickets for Year Four of the Spaz Era, it's clear I'll renew them no matter who is coaching the team.


:whalepants
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12825
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby BCEagle05 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:51 pm

The problem is not enthusiasm. The problem is over the top, not even remotely believable enthusiasm. That's what I saw, and it did absolutely nothing for me. It stunk of Bates telling him "Steve, you're gonna have to sell this really hard" and then that's what we got. Like I said, our best hope at this point is that the intelligent kids we're recruiting are hopelessly dumb and fall for this junk. I'm sorry if that pisses on your parade, but talking a lot and actually being able to accomplish it are two separate things. I'd rather have seen someone who looked serious about winning rather than desperately trying to check off every box on everyone's list.
BCEagle05
n00b
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 am
Karma: 3

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm

bignick33 wrote:
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:Many of the hardcore fans are going to be around anyway...how many of the people here who had "given up" tuned in to the presser?


Oh, I admit I have a problem. Despite my carrying on about this hire, I will renew my tickets. If I renewed my tickets for Year Four of the Spaz Era, it's clear I'll renew them no matter who is coaching the team.


:whalepants


Except I don't sit in C, D, E, CC, DD, or EE.
"I have history, and I understand history, so I know where we’ve been and where we are, and where we are trying to go, okay? But it’s been somewhere between 6.5 and 6.6 wins a year since 1980, which is 38 years. We’re at 7..."
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14953
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2911

Re: 3:00 Press Conference

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Cadillac90 wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
BCEagle05 wrote:That entire performance belongs in a dictionary next to the caption "trying way too hard".

I think he should be acting like someone who isn't trying to sell me a used Buick. That he should talk less about his goddamned golden retriever, worry less about sucking up to every single person in the room and on the campus as if he's going to prove something, and speak in a measured and intelligent manner about how the fuck he plans to turn around our train wreck of a football team. Reciting empty cliche and platitudes that vaguely relate to football does not accomplish that for me. I am insulted that both Bates and Addazio think that we're stupid enough that a fake pregame pep talk is going to blind us to the fact that we're being sold the same warmed over bill of goods BUT LOUDER THIS TIME. The whole thing felt completely empty and devoid of any real meaning to me. Don't tell me BC is your dream job when you've said the same thing about Temple, and most assuredly said the same thing about UConn. This guy is a clown, and the fact that Bates bought his bill of goods makes me think that our Athletic Department is completely screwed for the forseeable future.


Jesus, now we're complaining about trying too hard. Our fanbase has been fucked up beyond repair.

Again, despite the sun revolving around you, you were not the sole or primary intended audience.


Come on, he was way over-the-top with some of the shit he was spewing. He was acting like a bafoon. Yes, I like to see the enthusiasm as opposed to Coach Fuckface and the Hen but as I said, it was overdone and didn't seem genuine. I may also be jaded given the shithead's hiring of Ryan Fucking Day and Kevin Rogers.


He was over the top. Does that mean the enthusiasm wasn't genuine? While I don't necessarily believe BC is his dream job, it's the biggest job of his career. Let the guy enjoy his first 24 hours. If the intended audience was the pope or my grandmother, then sure he looked like a bafoon. Too bad he's aiming all this at others - others who this works on.

I think your last sentence is accurate. We've become so jaded. Everyone is so pissed about Bates dangling bigger names and bringing back old assistants (Day was by Jags, not Spaz right? and Rogers is not official) that most are just looking for things to complain about.

Look at the bright side, HJS is no longer the one that screams the loudest.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11581
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2631

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Untitled document