Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Even if that money doesn't come through, Maryland will have a foot in the door to recruiting in Nebraska and Minnesota.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:40 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Even if that money doesn't come through, Maryland will have a foot in the door to recruiting in Nebraska and Minnesota.

Sarcasm?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:48 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:"according to PROJECTED revenue presented to the school BY Big 10 Commish Jim Delany."

The Devil is always in the details and language of these articles and quotes. We should be wary of words and phrases like "projected", "could", "may", "according to", "up to or beyond". And on a not unrelated note, I wonder where Warrace Roh will be in 5 years when there are 25,000 people at Byrd Park for their game against Indiana? Or 20k at their Rutgers game??

As to the impact of BIG NAME B1G teams coming to town, consider Indiana. In 2012, their averge home draw is about 44,000. MD should be similar to IU.. good hoops, bad football --- NO CROWD.
Mod34b

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:50 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Even if that money doesn't come through, Maryland will have a foot in the door to recruiting in Nebraska and Minnesota.

But UMD might have a new found edge (RU too) in poaching the tOSU leftovers from OHIO that BC covets. We will just have to rely on NH recruits!
Mod34b

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Coach K is right. As amazing it is to believe, the ACC home office and members are floored. They never saw this coming. Nervousness bordering on panic. You need to see who is in and who isn't. This includes Rights Fees. Anyone not willing to give them should be viewed as Leahy when he said he was exploring other options. Nonetheless, as the NNBE shows, you can't expand while others are looking to leave. You need to resolve the home front before you do anything else.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:13 pm

the boneyard is hilarious right now.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Irishriviera {l Wrote}:Official letter from UMD...They seemed to take a parting shot at the decision to include ND

Dear University of Maryland community:

Today is a watershed moment for the University of Maryland.

I am pleased to announce that the Board of Regents of the University System of Maryland has endorsed our application to join the Big Ten conference, starting in academic year 2014-15. The Council of Presidents of the Big Ten has approved our admission.

Membership in the Big Ten is in the strategic interest of the University of Maryland. It will ensure the financial vitality of Maryland Athletics for decades to come. It will enable us to reinstate some teams that were recently terminated due to budget deficits. We will have the capability to support better our student-athletes—in the classroom and on the field—and compete successfully at the highest levels.

Intercollegiate athletics is an integral part of our University. It must be aligned with our academic values and priorities. We will earmark some of the new resources to support our University-wide educational missions and help make college more affordable for our students. This represents nothing less than a new financial paradigm for intercollegiate athletics at the University of Maryland.

The Big Ten institutions comprise the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. The extensive opportunities in the CIC for collaborations with our peer AAU and flagship universities in education, research, and innovation will boost the University of Maryland’s ascendancy in academic excellence.

Since leaving the Southern Conference in 1953, we have been a proud founding member of the ACC. Our long history has led to spirited sports rivalries and left indelible memories. More recently, the ACC has expanded into the Midwest. But our early ACC traditions will remain forever a treasured part of the Terrapin story.

I understand that many devoted Terp fans may be stunned and disappointed at this news. I recognize and regret the sadness they may feel at our leaving the ACC. It is the passing of an era. To them, I ask only this: please understand that I am doing what I believe is best for the University of Maryland. I made this decision after due diligence and confidential consultation with some of our key stakeholders.

As president, my responsibility is to advance the good of the entire University—our academic excellence and financial well-being as well as the future of Maryland Athletics. We are a premier land-grant and research university, situated in a vibrant metropolitan region next to our nation’s capital. Our reach and impact today is national and international. Membership in the Big Ten and the CIC offers opportunities that match our strategic purposes. We cannot let pass these opportunities.

The 21st century landscape of intercollegiate athletics is being transformed by demographics, technology, and the economic realities of big-time sports. These forces are upending traditional boundaries. Change is difficult, but we are in front of these changes. As we begin a new chapter in our history, let us go forward together and create our future. We are all Terps. We are, proudly, the University of Maryland.

Thank you for your continuing support of the University of Maryland.

Wallace D. Loh
President
University of Maryland

Dear Mr. Loh

Your mascot is a character out of Super Mario Bros.
Watch out for that door as it approaches your ass.

Yours truly,
vegasEagle
Senior Nevada Associate
Eagle Outsider
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm

According to the AP... While the B11 had been talking to MD all along, it picked up steam 2 weeks ago. I wonder if Swoffy had gotten MDs rights or if they were one of the hold outs?

Nonetheless, it looks like this is the end of the NNBE. Boise, et al are likely heading back to the MWC.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say

I still haven't heard anyone explain why USNA is not a good option for FB-only if you can't get ND to offer 2 more games?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I still haven't heard anyone explain why USNA is not a good option for FB-only if you can't get ND to offer 2 more games?

Ooooh oooo, is the answer because Swofford is not a good enough negotiator?
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I still haven't heard anyone explain why USNA is not a good option for FB-only if you can't get ND to offer 2 more games?

Ooooh oooo, is the answer because Swofford is not a good enough negotiator?

You're on fire today. Expansion issues/HJS extremisms are perfect material for your message board routine.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:53 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:the boneyard is hilarious right now.

one of my favorites was how yukon is a lock because both BB and their AD played for Schembechler so they're presumably friends (even though they graduated 8 years apart and most likely have no relationship) and how that is enough to get them into the conference.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:

But UMD might have a new found edge (RU too) in poaching the tOSU leftovers from OHIO that BC covets. We will just have to rely on NH recruits!

Which is the same "edge" that Indiana has had for all these years.

This moves hurts us significantly in New Jersey and Maryland from a recruiting perspective. Now, kids are more likely to either stay at ole State U or go to one of the other conference schools. That said, this essentially guts both MD and RU in recruiting as both have recruited Florida very well (which they will now struggle doing). BC is going to need to focus (now more than ever) on Catholic schools throughout the country. BC hasn't recruited in 4 years so we'd be starting from scratch regardless.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:09 pm

No mention of BC being included in conference realignment by this guy, whoever he is.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-next-steps-in-conference-realignment.html?sct=cf_t11_a4
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Sarcasm?

Oh no that's not sarcasm at all. You think that's sarcasm?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Just to highlight how shit the ACC TV/Bowl deals really are:

The University of Maryland stands to make nearly $100 million more in conference revenue by 2020 with its switch from the ACC to the Big Ten, according to projected revenue information presented to the school by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, SI.com has learned.

The projected information shows how Maryland could afford its $50 million buyout from the ACC, a fee the school is expected to attempt to reduce through legal action.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/19/maryland-big-ten-money/index.html

Just staggering to think that the shit ACC deal is for another 15 years. I mean. You can't even say... Well, when we get our chance to redo the contract in 2018, things will balance out. In 2018, we'll still have 9-years of slavery left.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Do you think there is more effort being made to leave the conference or secure it? I'm betting the former.

I gotta say this move by Maryland feels very much the same as the move by BC. A charter member who saw the writing on the wall. Now, this thing looks to fall apart very quickly.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:59 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I still don't get what the B1G gets out of this. These programs suck.

It has nothing to do with football. It's overseas expansion opportunities. Currently the Big 10 only controlled one deep-water port - Philadelphia. That's not enough shipping capacity. Maryland and New Jersey provide numerous deep-water port facilities. You need those to launch an amphibious invasion of Europe or the Middle East.

Think about it - you can only generate so many addditional dollars from ticket receipts and TV rights contracts. The real money is still in oil and commodities. The Big 10 will own Saudi Arabia before you know it.

You've got to give Delaney credit - there is no end to the man's ambition.

But the Big 10 is still unable to fight a two front war. The alliance with the Pac 12 would have secured its western front and allowed it access to the Pacific. History is repeating itself here. I predict their teams get bogged down by the long supply lines and brutal winter of southern Idaho.

Manifest Density ? (demographic density)
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I mean, if the B1G is so interested in poaching train wreck sports programs in good TV markets, we ought to give them a call.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:

Sarcasm?

Oh no that's not sarcasm at all. You think that's sarcasm?

Yes. Those two states are home to a whopping two Scout 300 prospects for the class of 2013. Forgive me for being unimpressed. Maryland is more than just a handful of recruits away from national relevance.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

This moves hurts us significantly in New Jersey and Maryland from a recruiting perspective. Now, kids are more likely to either stay at ole State U or go to one of the other conference schools. That said, this essentially guts both MD and RU in recruiting as both have recruited Florida very well (which they will now struggle doing). BC is going to need to focus (now more than ever) on Catholic schools throughout the country. BC hasn't recruited in 4 years so we'd be starting from scratch regardless.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/co ... ID=1438682

MD will be headed to the Midwest for B1G style players, just like BC. Unlike IU, MD can pitch kids to "come East; get out of Ohio etc!" Except now MD and RU, but not BC, can also tell recruits that family and friends can come see them at the 'Shoe and other nearby stadiums to watch them play. This moves means more competition for BC for midwest recruits.

Will NJ get tougher for BC to recruit? I guess. Maybe a litte. But RU is RU. Not a really exciting place to go when 40% of your high school class is also going there. Nothing Special. RU ain't PSU (which will still out recruit RU in NJ) and never will be.

So, as you say, BC need to push its Catholic "edge.". Also this blockbuster news should light a fire under BB to pay for a real coach who can recruit.
Mod34b

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:14 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I mean, if the B1G is so interested in poaching train wreck sports programs in good TV markets, we ought to give them a call.

How has it taken this long for someone to say this?
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

MD will be headed to the Midwest for B1G style players, just like BC. Unlike IU, MD can pitch kids to "come East; get out of Ohio etc!" Except now MD and RU, but not BC, can also tell recruits that family and friends can come see them at the 'Shoe and other nearby stadiums to watch them play. This moves means more competition for BC for midwest recruits.

Will NJ get tougher for BC to recruit? I guess. Maybe a litte. But RU is RU. Not a really exciting place to go when 40% of your high school class is also going there. Nothing Special. RU ain't PSU (which will still out recruit RU in NJ) and never will be.

So, as you say, BC need to push its Catholic "edge.". Also this blockbuster news should light a fire under BB to pay for a real coach who can recruit.

That article and your take are garbage. Everyone recruits nationally now.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I mean, if the B1G is so interested in poaching train wreck sports programs in good TV markets, we ought to give them a call.

Because most people here know that we aren't a contiguous land-grant Public research university. Hell... we ain't even a University.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Rutgers should wait until December 1 before accepting. That way, they can claim that the ESB is lit up in red because of them.

http://www.esbnyc.com/current_events_tower_lights.asp
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:

Because most people here know that we aren't a contiguous land-grant Public research university. Hell... we ain't even a University.

Touché.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

This moves hurts us significantly in New Jersey and Maryland from a recruiting perspective. Now, kids are more likely to either stay at ole State U or go to one of the other conference schools. That said, this essentially guts both [youtube][/youtube]MD and RU in recruiting as both have recruited Florida very well (which they will now struggle doing). BC is going to need to focus (now more than ever) on Catholic schools throughout the country. BC hasn't recruited in 4 years so we'd be starting from scratch regardless.

That article and your take are garbage. Everyone recruits nationally now.

Oh really! I'll have to study UMD history of Midwest recruiting a little more closely .http://www.looptvandfilm.com/blog/JoeyNichols.mov

Last edited by Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mod34b

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Just like when The ACC announced each Big East raid... and when SEC went after the B12... and when Texas applied for P12... and when FSU flirted with B12... Right now, there is pure panic. Every ACC school is putting out feelers to secure a landing spot. I'm willing to bet no one is doing much in the way of scouring the conference. Swofford (the fool he is) thinks that UConn or Ville resolves the problem (when it just exacerbates it).

Unfortunately, the ACC has very little option to secure its future. The best move is to get everyone to grant their rights. Problem is that they won't do that unless they are going to get something in return (they have what they have with the flexibility to leave for greener pastures if they so choose... so, if you are about 8 teams, there is no reason to do it). But, promising the rights if ESPN gives a date-certain "look-in" in 2014 might be enough.

Another option lies with ND. Finding a creative way to bring them in as the 14th should be a priority. It is entirely possible that this shit falls a part quickly. If the idea of the ACC appealed to them, 2 more games in exchange for a full membership could stop everything... justify ESPN to give B12 money which could get everyone to give their rights.

Other than that, we are at the whim of the expansion interests of the other conferences. I will say that with schools like UVA and UNC expressing interest in leaving, the SEC and B10 are not going to wait to grab them. I think that you could see those schools gone within weeks (MD-B1G happened in like 10-days).

Its just not a good time to be a school like BC (small, private school in a terrible college sports market at the nadir of all it's sports teams AND in between leadership).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Just like when The ACC announced each Big East raid... and when SEC went after the B12... and when Texas applied for P12... and when FSU flirted with B12... Right now, there is pure panic. Every ACC school is putting out feelers to secure a landing spot. I'm willing to bet no one is doing much in the way of scouring the conference. Swofford (the fool he is) thinks that UConn or Ville resolves the problem (when it just exacerbates it).

Unfortunately, the ACC has very little option to secure its future. The best move is to get everyone to grant their rights. Problem is that they won't do that unless they are going to get something in return (they have what they have with the flexibility to leave for greener pastures if they so choose... so, if you are about 8 teams, there is no reason to do it). But, promising the rights if ESPN gives a date-certain "look-in" in 2014 might be enough.

Another option lies with ND. Finding a creative way to bring them in as the 14th should be a priority. It is entirely possible that this shit falls a part quickly. If the idea of the ACC appealed to them, 2 more games in exchange for a full membership could stop everything... justify ESPN to give B12 money which could get everyone to give their rights.

Other than that, we are at the whim of the expansion interests of the other conferences. I will say that with schools like UVA and UNC expressing interest in leaving, the SEC and B10 are not going to wait to grab them. I think that you could see those schools gone within weeks (MD-B1G happened in like 10-days).

Its just not a good time to be a school like BC (small, private school in a terrible college sports market at the nadir of all it's sports teams AND in between leadership).
I call bullshit. At the risk of sounding like an idiot (not hard, I know, but my excuse is I Care Primarily About Hockey) where/when did this happen?
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Its obvious that these huge conferences are most likely going to be the way forward. ND must see the writing on the wall. So the question is do they want to be in the ACC or Big whatever? I actually think now of all times would be the easiest time for ND's AD to sell joining a conference to the alums who are probably busy (delusionally) thinking this is going to be a national title year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium