Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 am

hansen {l Wrote}:B1G basketball needs the ACC more than the ACC needs B1G. :bringit

Not anymore. THEY GOT MARYLAND. FUCKING MARYLAND!!!! ZOMG!!!!

Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 am

Like it or lump it, it's now happening: the University of Maryland's Board of Regents voted earlier today to authorize the University to move from the ACC to the Big Ten, a move that was shortly followed by an approved application for Big Ten membership. The University is now the newest Big Ten school.
-- Testudo Times, http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/11/19/ ... ealignment
Mod34b

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:42 am

First season in B10/11/12/13... will be 2014-15
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Max Quad on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:44 am

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland My Maryland!
BC FOOTBALL: UNDEFEATED ON MAX QUAD DAY.
Max Quad
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:First season in B10/11/12/13... will be 2014-15

at what point does the big 10 need to make a name change? just become the "big conference" that way they can add and drop teams and it will make sense
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 am

apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Max Quad on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

LET THE RECORD SHOW THAT BC'S SOLITARY BOAST IN 2012 WAS THE MAX QUAD MARYLAND GAME.
Max Quad
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

If Swofford quickly adds UConn... UVA, VT, UNC and NCS will no longer be members of the ACC in 2 years.
Last edited by HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:If Swofford quickly adds UConn... UVA, VT, UNC and NCS will no longer be members of the ACC in 2 years.

Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 am

I just want to go on the record as predicting that Maryland will join the Big 10 (or whatever they call themselves now)
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Max Quad on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Eventually (five year, ten years, who knows) this will lead to a Super League. 60+ teams that throw the traditions and restrictions of the NCAA behind. At that time BC will have to make a decision: do we want to be a University that happens to own a minor league sports franchise or do we want to go back down a path where we play "college" sports (call this the Holy Cross option). Until then all this conference shuffling doesn't mean much. Will BC still bring in TV money? Yes. Will we be able to watch BC play decent teams? Yes. If BC is good will we have access to a championship playoff? Yes. Until Super League time, access and money is all that matters.

BC FOOTBALL 2020
Sept 3 Harvard
Sept 10 @ Fordham
Sept 17 @ Villanova
Sept 24 Georgetown
Oct 1 Marist
Oct 8 @Army
Oct 22 @Dartmouth
Oct 29 Duquesne
Nov 5 VMI
Nov 12 Sacred Heart
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross

Welcome back!

Here are my predictions:

Sept 3 Harvard ---L
Sept 10 @ Fordham --W
Sept 17 @ Villanova --L
Sept 24 Georgetown --W
Oct 1 Marist --W
Oct 8 @Army --L
Oct 22 @Dartmouth --W
Oct 29 Duquesne --W
Nov 5 VMI --W
Nov 12 Sacred Heart --W
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross --L

HJS HAS ALREADY PREDICTED LOSSES TO MARIST AND SACRED HEART
Max Quad
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:If Swofford quickly adds UConn... UVA, VT, UNC and NCS will no longer be members of the ACC in 2 years.

While FSU and Clemson are the most vocal about leaving, the B12 is somewhat constrained in who they can add an the incremental dollars between the ACC and B12 really isn't enough to cover the $50mm buy-out. But, the buy-out isn't nothing for the SEC and B1G. Virginia and North Carolina are the two states that both SEC (developing their own network now) and B1G want a presense in. UNC and UVA to B1G, NCS and VT to SEC... or flip it around... either way... that's what's on deck unless someone doesn't step up and stop the dominos (be that be the assignmnt of rights, new leadership, ND or ESPN coming to their senses).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Can we just go to 4 16 team conferences already.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Where is Gene to stick a shiv in someone's back and secure the future of BC football when we need him?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Where is Gene to stick a shiv in someone's back and secure the future of BC football when we need him?

He was too busy sticking a shiv into the back of BC football.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yawn. Shitty school, shitty program, shitty state.

The amount of consternation on this board over who is going to be in what conference is laugh out loud funny.

This is not the end, this is the beginning. This is the first ACC member to leave the conference in over 40 years. There will be more and the ACC will be lucky if it is in 4 years as opposed to 4 months, let alone another 40 years.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 pm

While FSU and Clemson are the most vocal about leaving, the B12 is somewhat constrained in who they can add an the incremental dollars between the ACC and B12 really isn't enough to cover the $50mm buy-out. But, the buy-out isn't nothing for the SEC and B1G. Virginia and North Carolina are the two states that both SEC (developing their own network now) and B1G want a presense in. UNC and UVA to B1G, NCS and VT to SEC... are flip it around... either way... that's what's on deck unless someone doesn't step up and stop the dominos (be that be the assignmnt of rights, new leadership, ND or ESPN coming to their senses).

I've long thought that MD or perhaps GT would be realistic B1G expansion targets, but UNC is nothing of the sort.

UNC:ACC :: UT:B12

Wile I agree with your point about the need for swofford to stop the domino effect now, I don't think the next phase of expansion is likely to hit because there aren't natural moves like this one currently available. If ND were not in the ACC, I'd be more worried.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Where is Gene to stick a shiv in someone's back and secure the future of BC football when we need him?

He was too busy sticking a shiv into the back of BC football.

While I love piling on Greasy Gene almost as much as you do, I'm not blaming him for this one. It's very clear on-field performance was not at all a factor in the Big Ten's decision.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Not only can Gene not be blamed for this, but he's no longer around to block UConn from the ACC! :quadlaser
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 pm

We are slowly being put out of our misery. I'm not sure if whalepants' 2020 schedule is accurate, but it's not looking good. Admittedly this may be an overreaction, but after watching 60 minutes last night, I just don't see how BC can keep up in the arms race.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I am sooooooooo hoping this happens to MD and RU :

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

I might have shared West's pessimism if not for ND's move a month back. They have every interest in keeping the ACC a viable 5th conference OR one of the Big 4.

Additionally, the B12 is not the B1G nor anything close to it. With the ACC aligning itself with ND, we are much closer to being the 4th than they are. If the ACC responds correctly (ie no CT), this conference will be fine.

UNC/UVA/VT are NOTHING like MD.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Can we just go to 4 16 team conferences already.

It's easy to predict how the SEC and B1G will look (they'll add UVA, VT, UNC and NCS... in some combo).

What's less obvious is how the P12 and B12 get to 16. Pretty easy to predict B12 taking FSU, GT, CU, MIA. Don't know who else they tab... maybe Louisville and Pitt. There doesn't appear to be 4 teams avaiable for the B12. Let's give them BYU and Boise. Then what? UNLV and San Diego State?

As for the ACC, BC will be left with BC, Cuse, Duke, WF, Cincy, UConn. Maybe bring in Temple, USMA and USNA and stay at 9 continguous but completely irrelevant programs (who get to play football independent ND in BB).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

This is all moving to monster north (big 10), south (SEC) and west (Pac 10) conferences dominated by the largest state universities in the country. Then, on the next tier, we will have a jv western league (scraps from Big 12, MW, etc), a Conf USA-like league (old Big East), and a classed up Conf USA-like league (old ACC). All 6 leagues will have a spot in the post-season tourney, although the later 3 will have a diminished one.

Depending on how stable this proves to be, it may just be a way station on the way towards football breaking away from the conference structure (and maybe the NCAA altogether) and creating a monster league with one massive tv contract.

As for how this exactly will look, a pivot point will be whether Texas and Oklahoma go west, east or north, and how big the conferences are willing to go.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I am sooooooooo hoping this happens to MD and RU :

It may happen on the field, but MD is already been accepted in the B1G and RU's presser is tomorrow. B1G doesn't mess around with dog-and-pony shows and long dragged out time between votes. MD is officially a B1G member beginning 2014.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:We are slowly being put out of our misery. I'm not sure if whalepants' 2020 schedule is accurate, but it's not looking good. Admittedly this may be an overreaction, but after watching 60 minutes last night, I just don't see how BC can keep up in the arms race.

I was bummed I couldn't watch that segment. Is it worth watching on their website?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:I might have shared West's pessimism if not for ND's move a month back. They have every interest in keeping the ACC a viable 5th conference OR one of the Big 4.

Additionally, the B12 is not the B1G nor anything close to it. With the ACC aligning itself with ND, we are much closer to being the 4th than they are. If the ACC responds correctly (ie no CT), this conference will be fine.

UNC/UVA/VT are NOTHING like MD.

Please stop. This is precisely what Big East fans wee saying just before September. ND doesn't give a crap about the ACC. They are independent in FB and the #1 team in the nation. What they are showing is that they don't have any need for this ridiculous conference affiliation crap.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:We are slowly being put out of our misery. I'm not sure if whalepants' 2020 schedule is accurate, but it's not looking good. Admittedly this may be an overreaction, but after watching 60 minutes last night, I just don't see how BC can keep up in the arms race.

I was bummed I couldn't watch that segment. Is it worth watching on their website?

It's nothing groundbreaking, but I think it's worth 15 minutes of your time.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Take the $50m and offer it to some team to replace MD. PSU and ND full time only.

Edit, actually I have decided I dont give a shit. I dont think it would happen, but if BC goes the way of Holy Cross it will free up my Fall Saturdays and I can spend more time in Vegas, than in chilly Boston.

I blame Gene.
Last edited by DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 pm

If the B12 were actually an attractive option for Clemson and FSU,they would have left before the league added Notre dame and before they doubled the exit fee. I don't see how Maryland leaving trumps those two former events. The B12 didn't get anymore appealing and, in fact, became less so since the pipe dream ND scenario is off the table.

This is when HJS dilutes his rational criticism with hyperbole. Miami has no interest in the B12 and I have a hard time believing Clemson would now either.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium