Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Was at a BC event tonight and Leahy had a Q&A. Someone asked about the issue of realignment and the role of major athletics at BC.

Let me start by saying I was blown away with how prepared Leahy was on the subjects. He has a reputation here regarding sports and I don't know him well enough to CONFIRM or deny it but I was very impressed especially on his knowledge regarding realignment.

Talked about the state of BC athletics and the new hires (both Bates & Addazio). Mainly focused on football & hockey.

Talked about the importance of athletic success at BC on all levels. The value of seeing BC succeed on national TV, the new audiences being exposed to BC and how that has changed the student body (more Southeast, Texas & California applications & students).

Then moved onto realignment. Talked about BC's history in BE, the move to the ACC and the financial benefits. Lauded the ACC saying we are with peer schools with similar academic & athletic missions. Then talked about the Catholics moving on from the NNNNBE. Made reference to the 4 16 team conferences (could hear :81 jacking it from California) but says he doesn't believe that's going to be on the table for a while. Finished by asking if there were any lawyers out there as Maryland will be held to their $52 MM.

I saw the one BCI guy's tweet quoting Leahy "there will be four conferences with 16 teams" w/o context and thought wtf? thanks for clarifying.

Again... let's hope he is wrong.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:There should have been 2 follow-up questions:

1. What has happened to FB and BB under his watch (as we sure as shit ain't winning on the National stage)... I mean, he has been overseeing BC's disastrous last 3 years.
2. What will happen to the schools left out of the 4 conferences of 16 schools each? It's important to know exactly where BC will end up because of 4x16 is the end game, BC won't be a part of it.

It was a limited Q&A and you had homohumpers who had to ask about the arts program.

He also talked about the expansion projects and timeframes for each which was interesting. He said it was part of the agreement that no building on the brighton campus was to take place (baseball/softball field complete with toxic runoff drain to Eva's palatial castle!) before ground was broken where More Hall is on a new dorm.

The Heights reported that all offices were moved out of More Hall last February. What is the hold up?

They can prevent building on Brighton so long as they don't give the permits for More Hall.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Was at a BC event tonight and Leahy had a Q&A. Someone asked about the issue of realignment and the role of major athletics at BC.

Let me start by saying I was blown away with how prepared Leahy was on the subjects. He has a reputation here regarding sports and I don't know him well enough to CONFIRM or deny it but I was very impressed especially on his knowledge regarding realignment.

Talked about the state of BC athletics and the new hires (both Bates & Addazio). Mainly focused on football & hockey.

Talked about the importance of athletic success at BC on all levels. The value of seeing BC succeed on national TV, the new audiences being exposed to BC and how that has changed the student body (more Southeast, Texas & California applications & students).

Then moved onto realignment. Talked about BC's history in BE, the move to the ACC and the financial benefits. Lauded the ACC saying we are with peer schools with similar academic & athletic missions. Then talked about the Catholics moving on from the NNNNBE. Made reference to the 4 16 team conferences (could hear :81 jacking it from California) but says he doesn't believe that's going to be on the table for a while. Finished by asking if there were any lawyers out there as Maryland will be held to their $52 MM.

I saw the one BCI guy's tweet quoting Leahy "there will be four conferences with 16 teams" w/o context and thought wtf? thanks for clarifying.

I agree but not because I think it means the end of a BCS conference membership. So, on the most recent round of realignment there are 64 teams in 5 conferences and ND (total 65 teams). 14 B1G, 14 ACC, 14 SEC, 10 B12, 12 PAC and ND. For the 16 superconferences to form if ND has to be in a conference (total 64 teams), then someone is out in which case BC has to stay above one current BCS team (if current membership ends up mattering Wake, Cuse, Louisville, Pitt and I guess the U are the most likely competition with Wake likely being the weakest, if not Iowa State, Oregon State, Wazzou, Texas Tech, Baylor, Northwestern, Mississipi state are likely the weakest) and all current non-BCS teams (biggest contenders: BYU, BSU, UConn); or if ND is not forced into a conference (total 65 teams) then we need only stay ahead of current non-BCS teams.

I think it really becomes a question of how this works? Do conferences remain sort of intact? Because then the PAC has to get B12 teams, GOR or not. If they are not, I don't think we have as much to worry about as if they do. Maybe we actually end up in the PAC, that would also be ridiculous.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I agree but not because I think it means the end of a BCS conference membership. So, on the most recent round of realignment there are 64 teams in 5 conferences and ND (total 65 teams). 14 B1G, 14 ACC, 14 SEC, 10 B12, 12 PAC and ND. For the 16 superconferences to form if ND has to be in a conference (total 64 teams), then someone is out in which case BC has to stay above one current BCS team (if current membership ends up mattering Wake, Cuse, Louisville, Pitt and I guess the U are the most likely competition with Wake likely being the weakest, if not Iowa State, Oregon State, Wazzou, Texas Tech, Baylor, Northwestern, Mississipi state are likely the weakest) and all current non-BCS teams (biggest contenders: BYU, BSU, UConn); or if ND is not forced into a conference (total 65 teams) then we need only stay ahead of current non-BCS teams.

I think it really becomes a question of how this works? Do conferences remain sort of intact? Because then the PAC has to get B12 teams, GOR or not. If they are not, I don't think we have as much to worry about as if they do. Maybe we actually end up in the PAC, that would also be ridiculous.

BC will be included in any super 16 conference nonsense because of TV sets.

On another note on conference nonsense...

Big East talking to UNLV and Fresno about FB only membership. This whole thing is just starting to get stupid.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

It got stupid long before this.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:51 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:It got stupid long before this.

I agree.
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

I agree.

this is why the prohibition on meat-bombing on the football board is even worse than a potential ban on guns. without the fear of the meatbomb the idiots in this place can post whatever they want whenever they want without fear of a swift and drastic counter-strike (of weener). i am going to fight until my dying day to amend the eo constitution to support the posting of meatbombs in the sporting related boards. if meatbombs aren't free then none of us are free.

what do you think of that, comrade colored names!??!!?

EDIT - in fact, here's a NSFW reflection my disapproval!!!!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

I agree.

this is why the prohibition on meat-bombing on the football board is even worse than a potential ban on guns. without the fear of the meatbomb the idiots in this place can post whatever they want whenever they want without fear of a swift and drastic counter-strike (of weener). i am going to fight until my dying day to amend the eo constitution to support the posting of meatbombs in the sporting related boards. if meatbombs aren't free then none of us are free.

The sight of meat being indispensable to a well-functioning message board, the right of the posters to meatbomb shall not be abridged.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Well it looks like the SEC is jumping into the network ring.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... k/1781219/

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- If anyone wondered whether college football's most dominant conference will be getting its own television network, rest easy.

"Given the networks that have been developed, is there room for any more?" Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive asked. "And the answer is: 'At least one.' "

Although Slive did not confirm Wednesday that the league will join the Big Ten and Pac-12 with a dedicated cable channel, he said they'll make "an announcement within the next couple of months, if not sooner."
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:34 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

I agree.

I couldnt tell which one had the bigger wang...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:51 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

I agree.

I couldnt tell which one had the bigger wang...

that's the problem with the Polish... it can be tough to find their poles (unless you are into dental hygenists and high school football player's mothers)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Well it looks like the SEC is jumping into the network ring.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... k/1781219/

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- If anyone wondered whether college football's most dominant conference will be getting its own television network, rest easy.

"Given the networks that have been developed, is there room for any more?" Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive asked. "And the answer is: 'At least one.' "

Although Slive did not confirm Wednesday that the league will join the Big Ten and Pac-12 with a dedicated cable channel, he said they'll make "an announcement within the next couple of months, if not sooner."

I thought that had been discussed for a while (re: SEC exploring their own channel).

The proliferation of these Conference-specifc channels could really kill the Big Ten model. As we know, these conference channels get revenue through subscriptions charged to cable providers. They basically give the channel away in areas where they don't have a presense. They make their money by charging a premium in areas where they have a team (based upon a per-home rate). This model simply does not generate sufficient revenue if they are placed on a premium package. With every conference having a channel, cable providers simply will not be willing to front THAT much money for ALL these stations (along with other stations like NFL Network, MLB Network, NHL Network, NBA Network, Fox Sports North/South/East/West, ESPN 1, 2, 3, U, Classic, CBS Sports, LHN, NESN, etc.). The cable companies have a very, VERY easily solution... creating a Sports Fanatic Package and sticking them all on there. They already do this for some that I mentioned. The conference-owned channels will all find themselves there as well. Then... the untold fortunes of these channels will very quickly dry-up. That said, if the opposite is true and they all are able to extort the cable companies, then they can very easily make ESPN and the other networks completely unnecessary.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 pm

The way forward for the ACC network is clear- give TRE and angrychicken live shows. The TRE Hour can be all about skanks and wangs, with an uncensored version part of the adult package. Every red blooded football fan in this country will subscribe to this. Live skank polls voted on via the twitter machines and EO... hansen can call in every night...

Angrychicken can have a live drawing and painting show. Illustrating stories live while teaching people how to draw top-hatted men with wangs like bongs in MS Paint. If Swofford has any balls at all, he will do this.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:51 pm

have their people contact my people.

question - can some of the skanks have secret, lady-boy, wangs? that was my favorite skank poll... when after all the votes were tallied i showed the gals bottom-less (complete with erect tripod). i think chevy or caddy had to delete it and told me i couldn't do those things. TYRANTS!!!!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:have their people contact my people.

question - can some of the skanks have secret, lady-boy, wangs? that was my favorite skank poll... when after all the votes were tallied i showed the gals bottom-less (complete with erect tripod). i think chevy or caddy had to delete it and told me i couldn't do those things. TYRANTS!!!!

chris huang laughed at me and called me a lady-boy lover after that.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:28 pm

chris huang laughed at me and called me a lady-boy lover after that.

he was trying to deflect his penis breathed ways

i think you chose 1 who had the biggest weener and made it even funnier
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

All five of the people in that photo have weeners?

The TRE hour could definitely include a live game show around this idea. Hansen gets stuck and uses his lifeline to dial HJS - 'Does she have a weener?'.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:All five of the people in that photo have weeners?

The TRE hour could definitely include a live game show around this idea. Hansen gets stuck and uses his lifeline to dial HJS - 'Does she have a weener?'.

HJS responds that he told everyone three years ago that she does not have a weener. Then it turns out she has a weener.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 pm

HJS responds that he told everyone three years ago that she does not have a weener. Then it turns out she has a weener.

:kudos +4 exalt
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 pm

Would FedEx be the preferred method of contact?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:The way forward for the ACC network is clear- give TRE and angrychicken live shows. The TRE Hour can be all about skanks and wangs, with an uncensored version part of the adult package. Every red blooded football fan in this country will subscribe to this. Live skank polls voted on via the twitter machines and EO... hansen can call in every night...

Angrychicken can have a live drawing and painting show. Illustrating stories live while teaching people how to draw top-hatted men with wangs like bongs in MS Paint. If Swofford has any balls at all, he will do this.

would the illustrating show be in anyway similar to this?
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:15 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:The way forward for the ACC network is clear- give TRE and angrychicken live shows. The TRE Hour can be all about skanks and wangs, with an uncensored version part of the adult package. Every red blooded football fan in this country will subscribe to this. Live skank polls voted on via the twitter machines and EO... hansen can call in every night...

would the illustrating show be in anyway similar to this?

except bob ross would be fat, asiained and not at all high
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 am

this is your finest hour.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby mezmrin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:19 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

I agree.

wait what? when did this happen? allowed during Summer at least?
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Postby mezmrin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:23 pm

the best part of this would be ESPN trying to scramble to compete. Stephen A. Smith's Wang & Tang show would so terrible that it'd be hard to look away.
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:31 pm

mezmrin {l Wrote}:

the best part of this would be ESPN trying to scramble to compete. Stephen A. Smith's Wang & Tang show would so terrible that it'd be hard to look away.

how many times would stephen a smith scream, "SO DISRESPECTFUL", if he was on a show featuring these guys?
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:46 pm

What’s the next big realignment move?

What is hurting the future of the Big East the most is that no one in college sports expects the environment to be stable very long. There are four major leagues — SEC, ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 — siting at 14 teams. (The Big 12 is at 10).

All of the schools at 14 are peering suspiciously at each other, calculating who will make the next move. The most likely candidate is Jim Delany of the Big Ten, who just made a blatant television market play by grabbing Rutgers and Maryland.

Where would he go? Some suggest making a run at Vanderbilt to tweak his chief rival, Mike Slive. Others say that the ACC would be the target again. North Carolina is the league’s best brand and happens to be Delany’s alma mater. They’d certainly be high on his wish list. Georgia Tech would be attractive because of the window in the Atlanta television market. From there? Maybe Virginia? Could Carolina and Duke go as a package?

The move that would prompt total chaos would be any movement by the Big 12 to expand. They’d have to grow in a hurry to catch up with everyone else, potentially sending an already volatile environment into panic.

Don’t expect much movement until the courts decide how much of the $50 million exit fee Maryland has to pay. That decision will likely dictate when and what happens next.

How does this impact the Big East? Obviously schools like Cincinnati and UConn are waiting for dominoes to fall, opening up a slot for them in the ACC. And their limbo undermines the league’s power to get a deal completed.

http://m.si.com/627787/whats-next-for-catholic-7-big-east/

Seems like everything hinges on the ACC-Maryland $52 million lawsuit.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:59 am

At this point, both schools have to stay in the Big East, but sources at Cincinnati and UConn are under the impression, even if it's not known to be true yet, that the Big Ten will raid the ACC for two more schools -- North Carolina and Georgia Tech.
Both Cincinnati and UConn sources have said they ultimately think their schools will be in the ACC.
Of course, the Big Ten may not move beyond 14 members. Still, ACC schools that could be ripe for poaching -- Florida State and Clemson for a possible Big 12 play and NC State and Virginia Tech as a possibility to the SEC -- are waiting to see what happens with a lawsuit over whether Maryland has to pay a $52 million exit fee to join the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8771286/boise-state-broncos-discussing-staying-mountain-west-snubbing-big-east
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:32 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
What’s the next big realignment move?

What is hurting the future of the Big East the most is that no one in college sports expects the environment to be stable very long. There are four major leagues — SEC, ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 — siting at 14 teams. (The Big 12 is at 10).

All of the schools at 14 are peering suspiciously at each other, calculating who will make the next move. The most likely candidate is Jim Delany of the Big Ten, who just made a blatant television market play by grabbing Rutgers and Maryland.

Where would he go? Some suggest making a run at Vanderbilt to tweak his chief rival, Mike Slive. Others say that the ACC would be the target again. North Carolina is the league’s best brand and happens to be Delany’s alma mater. They’d certainly be high on his wish list. Georgia Tech would be attractive because of the window in the Atlanta television market. From there? Maybe Virginia? Could Carolina and Duke go as a package?

The move that would prompt total chaos would be any movement by the Big 12 to expand. They’d have to grow in a hurry to catch up with everyone else, potentially sending an already volatile environment into panic.

Don’t expect much movement until the courts decide how much of the $50 million exit fee Maryland has to pay. That decision will likely dictate when and what happens next.

How does this impact the Big East? Obviously schools like Cincinnati and UConn are waiting for dominoes to fall, opening up a slot for them in the ACC. And their limbo undermines the league’s power to get a deal completed.

http://m.si.com/627787/whats-next-for-catholic-7-big-east/

Seems like everything hinges on the ACC-Maryland $52 million lawsuit.

B12 expansion is hindered by their TV contract. They are in the same position as the ACC. Sure, Texas is made whole my LHN. But, that's proving an albatross for ESPN. They aren't doing that deal for a property they already own.

BTW, if $50mm is punitive, you can forget about a court enforcing the specific performance of the GOR. Actually, regardless of the MD case, GOR for life of the contract would never be enforced.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
At this point, both schools have to stay in the Big East, but sources at Cincinnati and UConn are under the impression, even if it's not known to be true yet, that the Big Ten will raid the ACC for two more schools -- North Carolina and Georgia Tech.
Both Cincinnati and UConn sources have said they ultimately think their schools will be in the ACC.
Of course, the Big Ten may not move beyond 14 members. Still, ACC schools that could be ripe for poaching -- Florida State and Clemson for a possible Big 12 play and NC State and Virginia Tech as a possibility to the SEC -- are waiting to see what happens with a lawsuit over whether Maryland has to pay a $52 million exit fee to join the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8771286/boise-state-broncos-discussing-staying-mountain-west-snubbing-big-east

I can't foresee a scenario where GT and UNC is the B1G's endgame. I think it is more likely they would go to 18 and take Duke and UVA with them. I also believe that UNC, like ND, feel they can go wherever and whenever they like. Since I don't believe that they are actively looking to leave, them being the next team out of the ACC is highly unlikely. Further, as we saw with MD, $50mm doesn't come close to preventing the B1G or SEC from poaching. MD's president is the only one who has ever mentioned the enforceability. WVU (the smallest TV market) and a host of other schools have paid half tamount hat to leave a conference whose TV deal was garbage. Does 30 or 40 mean the B12 makes fiscal sense? Hell, if it was 10, you still couldn't make up the difference in joining the B12 unless TX agreed to foot the bill.

Both these articles, are planted from Cincy and UConn. They need to (a) convince their fans that they are OK and (b) try to keep stirring the conference insecurity in the hopes that some one will make a move that saves them. Based on the fantastic nature of some of these statements (B1G poaching Vandy... GT and UNC as a package to B1G), this reads like the article that said the ACC will poach UConn in order to avoid losing them to a NNNBE grant of rights. Throw enough shit up against the wall and someone will write about it. Remember, These same outlets have been saying that UConn was the ACC's choice for expansion. And then we added ND... and again Louisville. I think it is as likely that we add Houston or SMU or USNA as it is that we will add UConn if we lost one other school.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium