Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Swofford's inability to leverage the DC and Boston media markets or the fact that the league has the only two college basketball teams anyone cares about, is shocking. As is the general evolution of conference realignment

it's not shocking. You don't understand. You just don't know Swoffy the way I do.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:26 pm

If its all about enrollment, the ACC should go after South Florida and Central Florida. Those are small schools..

:popcorn
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Maryland, a basketball school, has no business in the big whatever. They will be doormats in the league for a long time. Ad I actually think this puts the big whatever is less of a position of strength come the next round of negotiations. They will be adding two mediocre football schools that people could give 2 shits about. I know a ton of people in jersey and absolutely none of them give one rats ass about fucking guido state. Just sayin' is all.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Maryland, a basketball school, has no business in the big whatever. They will be doormats in the league for a long time. Ad I actually think this puts the big whatever is less of a position of strength come the next round of negotiations. They will be adding two mediocre football schools that people could give 2 shits about. I know a ton of people in jersey and absolutely none of them give one rats ass about fucking guido state. Just sayin' is all.

That's my position. Who gives a crap if Maryland leaves the ACC? The whole point of conference realignment is to make the conferance (tm IB) stronger. Most of this jockeying is just stuff that fat bloggers come up with while exploring their own bodies. Either way, the acc won't be lost in the shuffle.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BC96 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:48 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Maryland, a basketball school, has no business in the big whatever. They will be doormats in the league for a long time. Ad I actually think this puts the big whatever is less of a position of strength come the next round of negotiations. They will be adding two mediocre football schools that people could give 2 shits about. I know a ton of people in jersey and absolutely none of them give one rats ass about fucking guido state. Just sayin' is all.

HJS and Blauds are Jersey guys and they seem to care.
BC96
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:Swofford's inability to leverage the DC and Boston media markets or the fact that the league has the only two college basketball teams anyone cares about, is shocking. As is the general evolution of conference realignment

it's not shocking. You don't understand. You just don't know Swoffy the way I do.

Many in the ACC will tell you that Swoffy's biggest mistake was adding BC. Ironically, our most successful year in the ACC might have cemented our status as a liability. We get as high as #2 in the country, we have Matt Ryan at QB and with two weeks to prepare for a trip to Jacksonville we bring about 2,500 fans. The best solution to our problem is to double enrollment and buy all of Brighton to make room for the RVs.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm

I see we've advanced from "Maryland is not leaving" to "Who gives a shit if Maryland leaves?"

If you don't think FSU, VT, Clemson, UNC, etc have been burning up the phonelines all weekend long, i don't know what to tell you.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I always wondered if the B1G would like BC for hockey.
Whether they would or not is utterly irrelevant, because there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that BC would ever, ever, EVER consider leaving Hockey East unless forced to. And even then (e.g. ACC being required to start hockey) I'm not even sure it would happen, somehow.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby bosa90 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:Let's not play revisionist history. Moving to the ACC was the right decision at the time.

Swofford's inability to leverage the DC and Boston media markets or the fact that the league has the only two college basketball teams anyone cares about, is shocking. As is the general evolution of conference realignment.

Given that B1G only cares about TV and not tradition/current quality, I think we should put a phone call into Delaney and hope we are in when they move to 16.

As much as I think that would be crazy when GDF was here, its not as crazy with Bates. I always wondered if the B1G would like BC for hockey. I dont think we have $50m laying around either. I also thought us going to the B1G would be a package deal with ND.

We need to hope ND loses on Sat and that they are at the bottom of the one loss teams due to strength of schedule and no championship game.

Rutgers fans, such as myself, are laughing at this post because (a) it is the desperation that used to be posted on their board and (b) they never have to worry again as they just won the fucking lottery (through nothing of their own doing).

Fixed.

Northeastern will beat BC. - HJS

:dildodog
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Rutgers just hired their Spaz -HomoJS

i respek you homojs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Here’s what the Big Ten will offer: First, and foremost, lots more money. The Big Ten TV package is already worth far more than the ACC TV package, and it is going to soar even more in 2017 when its primary rights are up for bid again. The ACC just locked into a long-term deal with ESPN that is lucrative but won’t be up again until 2027. That means the potential for growth is far greater in the Big Ten.

The one real stumbling block for Maryland is the $50 million buyout the ACC’s university presidents approved earlier this fall, when Notre Dame joined the league as a full member in all sports but football. It is now apparent why Maryland President Wallace Loh was one of two who voted no on the issue. Loh told The Post two months ago that he doesn’t think a buyout that punitive will hold up in court.

Perhaps. Most courts have ruled in the past that a private organization has the right to make its own rules. Either way, shelling out $50 million or even half that (if Maryland can bargain with the league) isn’t going to look good for a school that just dropped seven sports because of a budget crisis.

That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, though, because long term, Maryland stands to make back the $50 million and more in only a few years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/in-the-big-ten-maryland-sees-power-in-numbers/2012/11/18/3b2aa0ee-31b4-11e2-bfd5-e202b6d7b501_story_1.html
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 pm

louisville for maryland would be an upgrade. screw the academic profiles. maryland provides nothing in terms of money making for the conference and hasn't for quite some time.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:57 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:louisville for maryland would be an upgrade. screw the academic profiles. maryland provides nothing in terms of money making for the conference and hasn't for quite some time.

This, I dont think to outsiders, anyone would have opinion in re: to the academic profile of Louisville. Like Maryland, they're both meh and nobody really cares. Louisville brings better football and basketball than Maryland as well as yukon who ESPN keeps claiming will get an invite assuming this goes down tomorrow.

I would personally rather see Louisville or USNA get an invite of yukon, they bring nothing to the table and belong in the NNNNNNBE with whoever the hell is joining in the next few years.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:I see we've advanced from "Maryland is not leaving" to "Who gives a shit if Maryland leaves?"

If you don't think FSU, VT, Clemson, UNC, etc have been burning up the phonelines all weekend long, i don't know what to tell you.

This.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Well... at least Maryland and the Big Ten gets to be universally hated for a while.
http://www.dailyworld.com/usatoday/arti ... Sports%7cp
http://www.jconline.com/article/2012111 ... /311180042
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/br ... ?track=rss

I think this is a bad move for the B10 and I think they will be very disappointed when the promised riches of the media markets do not pan-out. That said, that really is meaningless as it will already be too late for the ACC. The conference expansion wheels have started turning again and you can rest assured that the ACC is already destabilized to the point of the Big East after BC left. Something drastic will have to occur for the ACC to survive the next 5 years. It could come in the form of a surprise MD vote. It could come in the form of a surprise ND offering 2 more games. It could be in the form of FSU surprisingly agreeing to assign its rights. None of that is likely. Instead, we will continue to have to deal with schools whoring themselves after bids and this drama playing out on a weekly basis.

One thing for sure is that GDF made damn sure that we'd never leave the ACC... he made us so fucking unattractive that no one would ever want the ACC's worst athletic department. For that... he is in the Hall of Fame. Talk about failing upwards.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 am

Eventually (five year, ten years, who knows) this will lead to a Super League. 60+ teams that throw the traditions and restrictions of the NCAA behind. At that time BC will have to make a decision: do we want to be a University that happens to own a minor league sports franchise or do we want to go back down a path where we play "college" sports (call this the Holy Cross option). Until then all this conference shuffling doesn't mean much. Will BC still bring in TV money? Yes. Will we be able to watch BC play decent teams? Yes. If BC is good will we have access to a championship playoff? Yes. Until Super League time, access and money is all that matters.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:21 am

I agree with ATL but for one point- at some point the Feds, who really pay attention to sports, are going to tax and/or regulate the superleague from ever happening.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 am

Does ND have access to all ACC non-BCS bowls?
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=3604#more-3604
I don't recall that as part of the deal.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 am

Last edited by Oliver Closeoff on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 am

I'm sure Yukon will try before the feds.

As to HomoJS' yes, I believe they do.

I was shocked to read they only have access to the OB twice every 12 years or something like that.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

You are retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 am

Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:28 am

Before the votes happen, is there anyone who says this doesn't happen??? Based on the last go around, with FSU and B12 when people came outta the woods to claim they knew it wasn't happening... I really want to give others the opportunity to say they told us so.

Clearly, I think this shit is real and is the direct result of our destabilizing, crap, league destroying, 15-fucking-year indentured servitude arrangement we have with ESPN.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:32 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Before the votes happen, is there anyone who says this doesn't happen??? Based on the last go around, with FSU and B12 when people came outta the woods to claim they knew it wasn't happening... I really want to give others the opportunity to say they told us so.

Clearly, I think this shit is real and is the direct result of our destabilizing, crap, league destroying, 15-fucking-year indentured servitude arrangement we have with ESPN.

No one knows for sure but it seems likely to happen. Also, you are retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 am

The ACC must keep Clemson, VT, Miami and FSU at all costs. Once these teams go, we are screwed. Also, can't we trade NC state instead of Maryland? The ACC doesn't need four NC schools.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 am

#goacc
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 am

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:The ACC must keep Clemson, VT, Miami and FSU at all costs. Once these teams go, we are screwed. Also, can't we trade NC state instead of Maryland? The ACC doesn't need four NC schools.

You can regain the DC market by bringing in USNA as a football only (if that is what you are so concerned about).

Again, MD isn't the problem. It's the dominos falling thereafter.

First thing... Swofford knows who wouldn't assign media rights (I assume it's FSU). He needs to sit down with them and ask what it would take to get such an assignment (including his own resignation). Get the media rights assigned before you do another thing. If you can only get it from 12... get it from the 12 or however many can be at least a core.

Second thing... work internally and find out if there is anything the 13 members are willing to budge on to get ND in. For instance, ask for 2 more games and they get full share in everything AND can keep a separate deal for whatever they do for the other 5 games.

Third thing... if ND is a non-starter, consider USNA for football-only... essentially someone who is splitting a full membership with ND. They can be in for academics, carry DC as well as MD, travel better than MD and have more national appeal.

But, knowing Swoffy, he'll do whatever ESPN wants (which means taking a bullshit property in UConn... which after they are added, ESPN will inform the ACC that they don't consider it equal value with MD and will have the contract cut accordingly... at which point 9903 will claim that there was nothing else Swofford could've done).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Before the votes happen, is there anyone who says this doesn't happen??? Based on the last go around, with FSU and B12 when people came outta the woods to claim they knew it wasn't happening... I really want to give others the opportunity to say they told us so.

I say its not happening.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:The ACC must keep Clemson, VT, Miami and FSU at all costs. Once these teams go, we are screwed. Also, can't we trade NC state instead of Maryland? The ACC doesn't need four NC schools.

You can regain the DC market by bringing in USNA as a football only (if that is what you are so concerned about).

Again, MD isn't the problem. It's the dominos falling thereafter.

First thing... Swofford knows who wouldn't assign media rights (I assume it's FSU). He needs to sit down with them and ask what it would take to get such an assignment (including his own resignation). Get the media rights assigned before you do another thing. If you can only get it from 12... get it from the 12 or however many can be at least a core.

Second thing... work internally and find out if there is anything the 13 members are willing to budge on to get ND in. For instance, ask for 2 more games and they get full share in everything AND can keep a separate deal for whatever they do for the other 5 games.

Third thing... if ND is a non-starter, consider USNA for football-only... essentially someone who is splitting a full membership with ND. They can be in for academics, carry DC as well as MD, travel better than MD and have more national appeal.

But, knowing Swoffy, he'll do whatever ESPN wants (which means taking a bullshit property in UConn... which after they are added, ESPN will inform the ACC that they don't consider it equal value with MD and will have the contract cut accordingly... at which point 9903 will claim that there was nothing else Swofford could've done).

You are retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 am

This would suck for Philly-area fans. The games at Maryland were the closest BC games.

Villanova to the ACC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium