Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:53 am

According the Pitt Newspaper, MD has subpoenaed all docs relating to the ACC from Pitt. This seems stupid and overly broad... but it is supposed to be part of their defense that WF and Pitt tried to poach a team from the B1G (which I don't really understand).

Nonetheless, I am somewhat surprised the Big Ten hasn't told MD to stand down. First, the last thing the B10 needs is for the ACC (a business competitor) to demand similar... more relevant documents... about its TV negotiations and business marketing plans. Further, whatever antitrust action MD thinks it has because the ACC was considering poaching a team pales in comparison to a potential antitrust claim the ACC would have against B10 for ACTUALLY poaching a team.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 am

I think the anti-trust is based on the exorbitant exit fee, not the poaching. Would be counter-intuitive to base an anti-trust claim on teams moving.

That said, I am too lazy to read the counterclaims again.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:According the Pitt Newspaper, MD has subpoenaed all docs relating to the ACC from Pitt. This seems stupid and overly broad... but it is supposed to be part of their defense that WF and Pitt tried to poach a team from the B1G (which I don't really understand).

Nonetheless, I am somewhat surprised the Big Ten hasn't told MD to stand down. First, the last thing the B10 needs is for the ACC (a business competitor) to demand similar... more relevant documents... about its TV negotiations and business marketing plans. Further, whatever antitrust action MD thinks it has because the ACC was considering poaching a team pales in comparison to a potential antitrust claim the ACC would have against B10 for ACTUALLY poaching a team.

MD is the new UConn. Their antics will backfire in the long run. Just pay the exit fee like you agreed to and move on douche bags.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Maryland's athletic department is broke and the University's finances are a mess. The State itself is going bankrupt and the gubernatorial election will only serve to determine whether the incompetent profligate spender will defeat the criminal profligate spender in the Democrat primary. The Republican, who is actually pretty smart, will draw about 35% of the vote in the general election. I think the Big Whatever is already regretting the decision to add Maryland. Just wait till Illinois declares goes the way of Greece and Iceland, which is almost a demographic certainty at this point, they will have two nearly bankrupt schools sucking the league down.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Which two BIG schools would Pitt and WF be trying to poach?

The one that makes sense is Penn St - if the PA Gov tried to push it thru a la VA Gov force feeding VaTech to the ACC. I'm sure Pitt would love to have PSU in ACC with them and PSU would resist mightily unless the Gov somehow pressed for it.

WF has no logical connection to any BIG school that I can think of. Maybe there were one on one conversations between officials at some ACC schools with some BIG schools but without ACC approval.

This sounds like a fishing expedition by MD a desperation move to avoid a big penalty. If they cancelled the BIG move now would they have to pay a penalty to them? LOL
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:53 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Which two BIG schools would Pitt and WF be trying to poach?

The one that makes sense is Penn St - if the PA Gov tried to push it thru a la VA Gov force feeding VaTech to the ACC. I'm sure Pitt would love to have PSU in ACC with them and PSU would resist mightily unless the Gov somehow pressed for it.

WF has no logical connection to any BIG school that I can think of. Maybe there were one on one conversations between officials at some ACC schools with some BIG schools but without ACC approval.

This sounds like a fishing expedition by MD a desperation move to avoid a big penalty. If they cancelled the BIG move now would they have to pay a penalty to them? LOL

Northwestern and penn state.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Is there any connection between WF and NW aside from being excellent private schools with traditionally bad football teams?
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Is there any connection between WF and NW aside from being excellent private schools with traditionally bad football teams?

No
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm

So Rutgers just cut a check for $11.5mm to leave the AAC after one year in the conference... which is not unlike the check TCU cut to leave the Big East, a conference they never played a game in. It takes an awful lot of hubris to believe that all these universities throughout the country wrote multimillion dollar settlements and yet they all were essentially donations because they failed to consult the legal mind of a non-practicing college administrator who happend to hold a JD.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:29 pm

A little piece on the cooling off period we have entered in Conference Reallignment.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -era-ended

It doesn't say so, but my guess is that the merry-go-round will start again when the B12's TV contracts come up again. BTW... was watching something the other day on Mizzou. Can't believe how badly the B10 screwed that up. Mizzou was literally putting off joining the SEC waiting for the B10 to make a counter-offer. Instead, Delany talked about there being no need to ever expand beyond 12 teams. A few months later they are stuck adding MD and Rutgers. Incredible.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:36 am

Welcome Louisville!

http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/25/louis ... =obnetwork

Report: Louisville football recruit arrested after impregnating his cousin

By Brendan Maloy

Sharieff Rhaheed-Muhammad recently accepted a football scholarship from Louisville. (WPTV-5 West Palm Beach)

Three-star Louisville football recruit Sharieff Rhaheed-Muhammad was arrested Monday on felony charges of lewd lascivious behavior after allegedly impregnating his 14-year-old cousin, according to WPTV NewsChannel 5′s Will Greenlee (via Deadspin’s Barry Petchesky).

Police reportedly obtained a warrant for a DNA sample, which proved with nearly 100 percent certainty that he was the father. The victim reportedly chose to abort the pregnancy.

From Greenlee’s report:

The teen girl’s mother told police she bought a pregnancy test and confronted her daughter in October after seeing her daughter acting strangely. The mother said her daughter began crying, saying she had had sex with Rhaheed-Muhammad.

The girl said she was 11 when Rhaheed-Muhammad began touching her inappropriately. She said when they had sex in June 2013, Rhaheed-Muhammad “did not force himself on her and that it just happened.”

Rhaheed-Muhammad plays linebacker for Fort Pierce (Fla.) Central High School

A spokesperson for Louisville told WPTV that coach Bobby Petrino had been made aware of the situation.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:27 am

A spokesperson for Louisville told WPTV that coach Bobby Petrino had been made aware of the situation.

Thank goodness for that.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Thank goodness for that.

Who better to sympathize with someone who made a mistake for inappropriate activities with someone much younger than Bobby Petrino?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Thank goodness for that.

Who better to sympathize with someone who made a mistake for inappropriate activities with someone much younger than Bobby Petrino?

exacto
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Thank goodness for that.

exacto

is the patron saint still looking for a job?

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Apparently, the kid quietly verballed to Charlie Strong. Petrino really just held onto the commit. Caught this quote from his HS coach: "Sharieff is a great young man. He's one that you have to get to know first. He's very to himself at first, but once you really get to know him he really opens up and you really get to see what a fantastic human being he is. Louisville is getting a guy that's going to be fun to be around and a fun teammate as well."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Seems like he is has a lot of fun at family reunions
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:57 am

he should have signed with FSU, they have a crackerjack crim defense attorney knows how to handle these sex assault misunderstandings
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am

Didn't know where to put it but 4 of hte top 5 & 7 of top 10 basketball games on ESPN involved ACC teams

Moral: Swofford is clearly a bad negotiator

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/03 ... -for-espn/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Didn't know where to put it but 4 of hte top 5 & 7 of top 10 basketball games on ESPN involved ACC teams

i think the arizona aid has gone to your brain claver. if swofford had been more forward thinking and created an all-acc network there would have been hundreds... that's right FUCKING HUNDREDS of people that would have watched those games
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Didn't know where to put it but 4 of hte top 5 & 7 of top 10 basketball games on ESPN involved ACC teams

There were a lot of really bored people on January 7th.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 pm

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-03-21/sports/bs-sp-terps-lawsuit-0322-20140321_1_exit-fee-the-acc-atlantic-coast-conference

Subpoenas issued to at least 10 ACC schools in Maryland-ACC legal battle
'ACC's clear goal is to prevent any meaningful progress or resolution,' school says in motion filed Friday

Maryland's attorneys were quoted as saying : "Wahhhhhhh, they wont settle quickly, wahhhhh, wahhh, they are holding the money we owe them, wahhh"
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:39 pm

I am reading this and they are employing a spaghetti defense. No matter what it costs the ACC I hope they dont settle. It will coast MD more and they cant divide it by 14.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 am

I can't wait to see who the money pit in Bristol, CT Orlando, FLA hires to file the motions to strike and defend any depositions that take place.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby SiValEagle on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:So Rutgers just cut a check for $11.5mm to leave the AAC after one year in the conference... which is not unlike the check TCU cut to leave the Big East, a conference they never played a game in. It takes an awful lot of hubris to believe that all these universities throughout the country wrote multimillion dollar settlements and yet they all were essentially donations because they failed to consult the legal mind of a non-practicing college administrator who happend to hold a JD.

Rutgers probably cut the check before the ink was dry on the B1G offer. They don't want any bumps in the road to B1G. They probably still can't believe their good fortune and are worried that B1G will somehow try to get out of taking them on.
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Fox Sports 1 launched. I still question how they are going to deliver the premiums sought for the Big Ten when they couldn't do it for their wholly-owned flagship sports station.
http://deadspin.com/you-will-not-be-pay ... 1154646778

The answer is Molly McGrath.

On FS1's #1 broadcast team for college football, not bad
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George