Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby hansen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm

How many times is Maryland going to consider leaving the ACC?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 am

The ACC expects Notre Dame's full membership in all sports but football and hockey -- with five guaranteed football games per year -- to earn each school more than $1 million per year in media rights revenue, according to two league sources.

This will bump the ACC's per-school annual television revenue into the $18-plus-million range. In 2012, the ACC renegotiated a deal with ESPN for $3.6 billion over 15 years (or $17.1 million per school on average) for a 14-team football league.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22036780/notre-dame-grows-acc-revenue----more-than-1-million-per-school-annually

SWOXXFORDED
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 am

Might be old news, but ND is traveling to FSU next year as one of their 5

*insert FSU/Big 12 joke*
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Might be old news, but ND is traveling to FSU next year as one of their 5

*ND wins that game because FSU is going to fly to the Big12 before that game so, boy, will their arms be tired!*
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Might be old news, but ND is traveling to FSU next year as one of their 5

*the nd administration is hopeful that a minimal number of their players try to fly off the hotel balcony, but at the very least that it's less than a big 12*
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 am

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57578785-93/cbs-joins-fox-in-considering-subscription-only-model/
More TV monetization troubles...

just like you predicted... these tv contracts are worthless and should be ignored when negotiating with espn
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 am

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22036780/notre-dame-grows-acc-revenue----more-than-1-million-per-school-annually

Even though contracts apparently may or may not matter any more, ND's partial membership is adding $1 mil/year for each team. This article also talks about how the ACC and ESPN are talking about a conference network but doesn't really add anything new.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 am

31southst {l Wrote}:http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22036780/notre-dame-grows-acc-revenue----more-than-1-million-per-school-annually

Even though contracts apparently may or may not matter any more, ND's partial membership is adding $1 mil/year for each team. This article also talks about how the ACC and ESPN are talking about a conference network but doesn't really add anything new.

man walks on moon etc.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 am

A couple of recent articles which folks may find interesting (if they are at all interested in the financial side of allignment).

Even if Rutgers was received a full share of Big Ten money last year... which was combined with their Big East money... they still would have operated in the red.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... milli.html

It can't help their financials that they just engaged Skadden to do a full review of the Rice fiasco (don't forget the buyouts they gave Pernetti and Rice).

As for TV, the Conference Network model is facing pressure from all sides. The latest is a shot across the bow from Congress trying to curtail bundling.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ot/275735/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 am

in summary - swofford was a bad negotiator for rutgres too
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Fri May 10, 2013 11:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:A couple of recent articles which folks may find interesting (if they are at all interested in the financial side of allignment).

Even if Rutgers was received a full share of Big Ten money last year... which was combined with their Big East money... they still would have operated in the red.

It can't help their financials that they just engaged Skadden to do a full review of the Rice fiasco (don't forget the buyouts they gave Pernetti and Rice).

As for TV, the Conference Network model is facing pressure from all sides. The latest is a shot across the bow from Congress trying to curtail bundling.

Too bad that they did not give a breakdown of what caused this enormous shortfall. Was it football or was it Title IX related sports?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:A couple of recent articles which folks may find interesting (if they are at all interested in the financial side of allignment).

Too bad that they did not give a breakdown of what caused this enormous shortfall. Was it football or was it Title IX related sports?

Much like Maryland, they needlessly renovated/expanded their stadium and paid it through bonds. The bonds were meant to be paid back over through the additional revenue received from the aforementioned expansion (its the failed "If you build it, they will come" business model). Revenues and attendance trended downward post-expansion. As such, I am not surprised that those schools are swimming in debt.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Since the Terps won't get a full B1G share for about 5? years combined with the fact that the ACC payout will exceed 20 million in 2013, I can't help but think Maryland is just going to be digging itself a bigger financial hole. Not to mention some of ACC exit money which will have to be payed by the Terps, the increased travel cost to middle America that won't be subsidized by the B1G forever and the loss of longtime ACC rivals, leads me to think that Maryland wouldn't have jumped if they could go back and do it again. They fell for pie in the sky B1G earning estimates that are unlikely to ever materialize, IMHO. Because of ESPN, all five major conferences are going to make similar TV money and will likely break away for the NCAA and make even more money through playoff setup like the NCAA basketball tourney.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 pm

The B10 actually is subsidizing MD's travel (but not RU's). It was an enticement to get them to jump. At the end of the day, there is no doubt that MD will make more money in the B10. It likely won't be the windfall of (like the twice the amount originally promised).

I think that there will be negative fallout from the move. This was essentially was done by 2 people Delany and the MD Prez. The MD alums are still livid. B10 schools complained about the slap-dash/hurried nature of this round of expansion (as opposed the deliberate search that resulted in Nebraska). Maybe all parties would still make the same decision if they had the chance today. But, I can guarantee that they would've handled the search and announcement differently.

All that said, I think that Delany wanted bigger fish from the ACC and thought grabbing MD was the way to start the dominoes falling. If the B10 never goes beyond 14, I think Delany will privately view RU-MD as a failure.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Excellent summary, and I can add some color: the alums who were pissed at being completely excluded from the departure process have only become more incensed, while the initial supporters have shuffled offstage. The old Merlin my Merlin types will never be assuaged by any amount of money for sacrificing games against UVA and Duke (and to some extent, Ga Tech and FSU) to fly to Illinois, Indiana, East Lansing, etc. But there's been a steady drip of news against the initial presumptions - the fee lawsuit not being dismissed and staying in NC, the GOR, the projections being lousy, etc. - the major alumni face the administration put on the move was Kevin Plank, and I don't know that he's been out there continuing to sell or sugarcoat it.

Anyway, the GOR announcement caused a lot of crabcakes to be thrown at televisions, since it throws a lot of the risk parameters of the decision (what if the acc collapses) out the window. Part of this is because every now and then, Maryland (the state, the university, whatever) finds itself with a foot in two worlds and has to make a decision, and Maryland's record at making these decisions is mixed. For example, Its decision to be a blue liberal progressive state, in polar opposite to Virginia, has bled corporate jobs out the butthole, lost high net worth taxpayers to Virginia, and to the extent that these have been replaced with federal jobs and federal workers, the strategic risks of this course have been masked by the explosion of growth in the government sector the past ten years. Fact is, every time there's a re-auth or furloughs or cuts or whatever, defense contractors dump jobs and the Sun starts running some real economic hand-wringing articles. If gov spending decreases over the next five to ten years, Maryland's going to be way less resilient than other states.

Point is, there's a lot of sensitivity amongst old school Marylanders about Big Either Or Decisions and most feel that the outsiders running the universities really got this one wrong. Even the people in Baltimore (med school, law, nursing, social work, biotech center, etc) who normally roll their eyes at whatever form college park's latest idiocy takes, are pissed off. So... we'll see. But I agree this is a terrible decision for Maryland.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 am

Good, hope they look forward to their games against Rutgres, Iowa & NW

Also happy the ACC replaced them with Louisville
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon May 13, 2013 9:17 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}: Part of this is because every now and then, Maryland (the state, the university, whatever) finds itself with a foot in two worlds and has to make a decision, and Maryland's record at making these decisions is mixed. For example, Its decision to be a blue liberal progressive state, in polar opposite to Virginia, has bled corporate jobs out the butthole, lost high net worth taxpayers to Virginia, and to the extent that these have been replaced with federal jobs and federal workers, the strategic risks of this course have been masked by the explosion of growth in the government sector the past ten years. Fact is, every time there's a re-auth or furloughs or cuts or whatever, defense contractors dump jobs and the Sun starts running some real economic hand-wringing articles. If gov spending decreases over the next five to ten years, Maryland's going to be way less resilient than other states.

First off, huh? What does your political opinions have to do with Maryland's stupid deecision to go to the Big10?
Secondly, this list: http://www.gallup.com/poll/141785/gov-e ... -ohio.aspx
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 am

Jesuit,

Chill baby, I didnt mean it that way - I am pro economic diversification and have no problem with government and contractor employment sectors. My criticism of Maryland - and no one loves that silly state more than I do, from the mountains in the west to the shores of Assaeateague in the East - is that Maryland's generation of leaders (I'm sort of singling out Mikulski here) have long maintained their political power and time in office by appealing to special interest groups (like any other politician, I suppose) to the long-term detriment of the constituents they are supposed to represent. In this specific instance, MD's proximity to the huge cluster of federal agencies in DC means that government employment has the potential to outsizedly affect MD's economy. Further, you have to consider the zillions of contracted positions created, as well as the other in-state agencies (NSA, IRS, APG). In my opinion, that's a nice chunk of the economy and MD should be focused on being competitive in the private sector - the only success story I can think of off the top of my head in recent years is Under Armor, while Black and Decker, Deutsche Bank, and others have left or shuttered.

As for my own political opinions, 'm a mixed bag. I think the Maryland model can work, but I think it works in places like Finland - which had a massive, simultaneous realization (in the late 1970s) that their original system was really broken, and so they established a more balanced model of public and private. Read an interesting article about Supercell (who makes some iphone game that's really popular), a video game co co=-funded by the Finnish government, that's apparently pulling down 2m+ a day in payments from gamers. This is the sort of diversification I like to see - and I think that Maryland has failed at diversifying and has put too many of its chips in a single slot. Compared to its neighbor Virginia, which has gone the opposite route and will probably be more resilient if/when federal spending shrinks. If you differ regarding Maryland's economic policies, I'm interested to hear your stance.

rE: Big Ten - Maryland was with the south in the civil war, but was invaded and seized by Union troops and martial law was declared. Baltimore and the eastern shore are more southern, whereas the central and western parts of the state are more northern. It's a big blue liberal state that's south of Mason Dixon. It's next to DC but is culturally more Baltimore. It has some excellent public school systems and some of the most profound social problems in the nation. It has some of the finest hospitals and medical institutions in the world, and in the shadows of those buildings are sprawling third-world health problems. Maryland the state is a perpetual contradiction, with a foot in two worlds, and this is a widely felt sentiment amongst people who have spent their lives there. As such, Big Decisions where people have to choose one path or another in opposite directions are generally given their proper due by Marylanders. I used the more recent decision as an example, but I could have gone with the Civil War arguments, I suppose. Anyway, a lot of people feel the Big Ten decision was not bigven its Proper Due, and that it was not given said due by a total ousdier.

Either way... no political agendas intended in my post, friend.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}: martial law was declared.

I think you mean Marshall Law.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

No, he meant the commerce clause. Duh.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

No, he meant the commerce clause. Duh.

He's not talon.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Is he related to Cardinal Law?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Is he related to Cardinal Law?

Man on Boy doesn't create offspring.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 27, 2013 8:04 am

Keep on keeping on Rutgres

You'd think a background check wouldn't be the difficult
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Keep on keeping on Rutgres

You'd think a background check wouldn't be the difficult

Are you referring to RU not doing a simple background check on their new AD and head BB coach... or... are you referring to the Big Ten doing a simple background check on Rutgers before offering them membership into the conference?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Funny how Delany actually affirmatively had to address that RU is still invited to the B10.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/delany-rut ... --spt.html
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:10 pm

He better, since he apparently told his presidents Maryland and Rutgers are bringing 40-50 million more viewers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

“[The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/31/ohio-state-gordon-gee-controversial-comments/
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:He better, since he apparently told his presidents Maryland and Rutgers are bringing 40-50 million more viewers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

“[The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/31/ohio-state-gordon-gee-controversial-comments/

The Big whatever are going to regret adding these two schools.

there, i said it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Gordon Gee... the shit going on at RU... MD and RU operating in the red to the tube of $25mm a year... President Obama... all examples as to why academics make terrible business men. They operate well in a theoretical world, but the real world chews them up.

BTW, just got an email from Verizon telling me I can by a "Sports Access" package for $9.99 a month. Included in there is LHN, ESPN Classic, CBS Sports. Have to assume that the P12, BTN and SECN will all be added to the package in the very near future. If that happens, I think God will wind up having more money.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium