Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:44 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for posting it, good albeit long read.

Not being well versed in fellow ACC presidents, was interesting that Loh came as a complete outsider but when he saw the $$ it sold him (parallel can be drawn to Leahy). Also the blurting out of a move years ago probaby knowing none of the ramifications (financially and from the fanbase) was interesting.

Ultimately I think the ACC is in a better place with in Louisville over Maryland on the field/court.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:59 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Thanks for posting it, good albeit long read.

Not being well versed in fellow ACC presidents, was interesting that Loh came as a complete outsider but when he saw the $$ it sold him (parallel can be drawn to Leahy). Also the blurting out of a move years ago probaby knowing none of the ramifications (financially and from the fanbase) was interesting.

Ultimately I think the ACC is in a better place with in Louisville over Maryland on the field/court.

Agreed although I'd like to see us add Navy either as a full or partial member to get back into the Baltimore/DC markets. If we can ever get ND to join as a full member (at this point I'd give them pretty much whatever they want, the B12 did for Texas and it doesn't seem to be leading to Texas dominance) Navy as a football-only member would make a lot of sense paired with either Villanova or Georgetown for other sports. Nova would give you a foothold in Philly, Georgetown would re-establish your near-lockdown on the DC market (when combined with Navy football and VT/UVa, plus other schools with large DC/Baltimore-area fanbases such as ND, BC, Duke, UNC)
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Gentlemen, lets talk about Curry College.

Nobody ever mentions them as a candidate, but they have a good footprint on the east coast and if they can make the jump to FBS, would provide a natural rival for BC. There is a lot of room for expansion of their stadium on the Milton campus. One negative might be that they also play an exciting brand of hockey, meaning ACC hockey league. Maybe they would agree to join football only? Seems like a no-brainer for them...
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Thanks for posting it, good albeit long read.

I think the ACC would've been better off adding Rutgers and Louisville along with Pitt and Cuse a year and a half ago. That said, I have long contended that it was the moves subsequent to the additions of Cuse and Pitt that harmed conference stability. Adding RU and UL may not have done much to prevent those missteps (other than likely preventing ND to join as a partial member).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

WVU instead of Pitt or Cuse would have been helpful. Rutgers(like BC) doesn't do anything for anybody except the B1G.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:WVU instead of Pitt or Cuse would have been helpful. Rutgers(like BC) doesn't do anything for anybody except the B1G.

I forgot WVU was still available. You are right, the ACC wouldve taken them and either RU or UL. I would've partial to RU for a host of reasons (geography, recruiting, academics, alumni, TV market and potential students). But, I think they should've stayed at 12 or gone to 16. Dicking around with 14 plus ND as a partial is fucktarded.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8742607/seven-catholic-schools-leaning-leaving-big-east-sources-say

The potential split of the seven Catholic schools should allow Notre Dame and Louisville to join Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC next season, one year ahead of schedule, Irish coach Mike Brey said Thursday.

Notre Dame was supposed to stay in the Big East for a 27-month period, which could mean as long as the 2015 season. But the Irish have been negotiating an early exit.

Would Maryland leave early?

If not, so 16 teams for basketball (12 in the ACC + Cuse/Pitt + ND + Ville)?

And 15 for football? The above minus ND

Wow
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 pm

According to the Boneyard, we're about to move to the B1G too.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 pm

I assume that this is the source for those idiots: http://www.eersauthority.com/expansion-update-big-10-targets-acc/
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:44 pm

joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:http://www.cornnation.com/2012/11/20/3674204/next-up-for-jim-delaney-boston-college-and-virginia-joining-the-b1g

Thats funny I posted that exact same analysis weeks ago about TV markets on either the Boneyard or Rutgers forum.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:According to the Boneyard, we're about to move to the B1G too.

I love that one guy's refutation is:

"I could only find one mention on twitter of "BC B1G" in the last 24 hours and that same poster prefers UConn over BCU"

It's a place of high comedy.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm

today is a high day of comedy at the puppy pound, topped only by when Louisville was picked over them.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm

I take it that no one saw that the Presidents just issued a solidarity statement. I also guess that they have absolutely no clue that we still have Brad Bates as our AD.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:today is a high day of comedy at the puppy pound, topped only by when Louisville was picked over them.

It sure is. My favorite quote of the week was this one:

"Because of our success in BB we have picked up fans in NYC and surrounding New England. I have two grandsons in college one in Providence and the other in Southern New Hampshire. Last year after a family day visit in RI we went up 95 toward New Hamshire to see the other grandson. We stopped in a huge Outlet complex 30 miles into Mass.(BC fans yes its your home state). The only local college gear availale was Uconns. We are the only national brand in New England let me repeat We are the ONLY national brand in New England. The fools who say we have nothing to offer the B1G are misinformed or unimaginative.

So an outlet store in MA had Uconn gear but no BC gear SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not only can we conclude that they are more relevant in Massachusetts but we also can conclude that this "gear" being in a neighboring state is evidence as to the NATIONAL BRAND of Yukon.

I get a kick out of the Uconn fans thinking they have any presence whatsoever in the Boston market.

Either way, puppy pound is a great read today for sure.
Last edited by Supahfan99 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:today is a high day of comedy at the puppy pound, topped only by when Louisville was picked over them.

"Because of our success in BB we have picked up fans in NYC and surrounding New England. I have two grandsons in college one in Providence and the other in Southern New Hampshire. Last year after a family day visit in RI we went up 95 toward New Hamshire to see the other grandson. [b]We stopped in a huge Outlet complex 30 miles into Mass.(BC fans yes its your home state). The only local college gear availale was Uconns. We are the only national brand in New England let me repeat We are the ONLY national brand in New England.]/b] The fools who say we have nothing to offer the B1G are misinformed or unimaginative.

So an outlet store in MA had Uconn gear but no BC gear SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not only can we conclude that they are more relevant in Massachusetts but we also can conclude that this "gear" being in a neighboring state is evidence as to the NATIONAL BRAND of Yukon.

I get a kick out of the Uconn fans thinking they have any presence whatsoever in the Boston market.

There is a reason it was at an outlet store, it didnt sell and had to be discounted. If you want BC gear you go to Brooks Brothers.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:50 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

"Because of our success in BB we have picked up fans in NYC and surrounding New England. I have two grandsons in college one in Providence and the other in Southern New Hampshire. Last year after a family day visit in RI we went up 95 toward New Hamshire to see the other grandson. [b]We stopped in a huge Outlet complex 30 miles into Mass.(BC fans yes its your home state). The only local college gear availale was Uconns. We are the only national brand in New England let me repeat We are the ONLY national brand in New England.]/b] The fools who say we have nothing to offer the B1G are misinformed or unimaginative.

There is a reason it was at an outlet store, it didnt sell and had to be discounted. If you want BC gear you go to Brooks Brothers.

Winner.

:kudos
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

I know it's lame to snicker behind the back of some other message board posters, but I just want to bring up one little bit of angst that made me laugh:

BC: First class pukes who deserve a moribund team that exists an afterthought in the ACC. It's too bad the fan base is so small and inconsequential because it would be much more fun if they had a large fanbase that knew that they needed UConn to make them relevant again. The more the merrier.

Ah yes, BC needs UConn to be relevant. Priceless. :popcorn
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:18 am

I take no enjoyment in UConn's current plight as I can foresee things breaking in the near future that will result in BC being in a similar position.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I take no enjoyment in UConn's current plight as I can foresee things breaking in the near future that will result in BC being in a similar position.

I would be slightly more surprised if we don't. I think I'm about 60/40 thinking it will be ACC blows up and we don't land in a superconference vs all other scenarios.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 am

http://www.courant.com/sports/other/hc- ... 077.column
This article reminds me of all the opportunities the Big East had to save itself. It was something like 3 years that Miami expressed concern and asked that Tranghese help strengthen the FB brand (which included a possible split). Tranghese was loyal to the BB schools and whenever interests of the FB schools diverged, he would recuse himself. The famous unanimous vote to split from BB in 2003 was spearheaded in part by BC who pointed out that Miami had been talking about it forever and now we needed to get it over with. Tranghese worked the back-channels and killed it. That is what made BC a free agent again. They had no interest in staying in the mess.

I see so many similar missteps under Swofford. From his first ESPN TV deal, to not caving to Texas/Oklahoma, to adding only 2 schools, to his handling of the ESPN renegotiation, to not getting Grant of Rights, to the caving of ND, to the adding of Louisville... it just keeps going on and on.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I take no enjoyment in UConn's current plight as I can foresee things breaking in the near future that will result in BC being in a similar position.

Agreed. I don't get much enjoyment out of any school's troubles right now, including UConn. BC is in a really vulnerable spot. But I don't think our situation will ever be as bad as UConn's current position because at the very least, I think we'll be in a conference with Cuse, Pitt, WFU, and UConn. UConn is not associated with any quality programs right now. The closest thing is Cinci.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Agreed. I don't get much enjoyment out of any school's troubles right now, including UConn. BC is in a really vulnerable spot. But I don't think our situation will ever be as bad as UConn's current position because at the very least, I think we'll be in a conference with Cuse, Pitt, WFU, and UConn. UConn is not associated with any quality programs right now. The closest thing is Cinci.

If BC is in a conference like that, you can bet your bottom dollar that Cincy, USF and a number of CUSA teams will be accompanying us.

In all honesty, I think if BC is in a conference with Cuse, Pitt, WFU, UConn and Cincy, they need to be very careful in who they invite (however it seems likely that they won't be). I would suggest that you buck the trend and stay small (let's 8 or 9 schools) and keep it all regional (i.e. USMA, USNA, Temple). If there is pressure to expand beyond that footprint, I think you focus on those schools who used to have big time football in the SWC... particularly Rice, Houston and SMU. Maybe you add USF too if you need another program. But schools like ECU and UCF are complete non-starters for me and should be for BC.

All that said, BC does not currently have the dynamic leadership necessary to either (a) get us into a better conference or (b) steer a rebuild of the ACC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I see so many similar missteps under Swofford. From his first ESPN TV deal, to not caving to Texas/Oklahoma, to adding only 2 schools, to his handling of the ESPN renegotiation, to not getting Grant of Rights, to the caving of ND, to the adding of Louisville... it just keeps going on and on.

You know like half those things were definitely not possible and the other half are not very likely to have been possible right?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I see so many similar missteps under Swofford. From his first ESPN TV deal, to not caving to Texas/Oklahoma, to adding only 2 schools, to his handling of the ESPN renegotiation, to not getting Grant of Rights, to the caving of ND, to the adding of Louisville... it just keeps going on and on.

You know like half those things were definitely not possible and the other half are not very likely to have been possible right?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Since when has that stopped him?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

My new favorite is the grant of rights. I'm just not sure how this would go.

Swofford: "Mr. Barron will you grant your rights?"

FSU President: "No."

Swofford you bastard!
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Swofford you bastard!

There are 7 things listed... I'd like the brain-trust of 9903 and pedro to point out the 4 that were not missteps.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Swofford you bastard!

There are 7 things listed... I'd like the brain-trust of 9903 and pedro to point out the 4 that were not missteps.

1. The most obviously stupid one is obtaining a grant of rights because it is not possible unless the schools acquiese to it, which they would not and you can't make them.

2. Not "caving" to Oklahoma and Texas is stupid because it probably was never actually an option (it is also hard to include both this and "caving" to ND on the same list).

3. ESPN renegotiation is stupid because there was probably no path to the open market.

4. Adding of Louisville is stupid because it was the best move available at the time as opposed to UConn or your favorite, the Naval academy.

Adding only two schools as opposed to 4 may or may not have been stupid because the effect of adding more may have been more immediate poaching. I have a feeling that splitting money more ways and adding Rutgers and UConn doesn't make the football schools happy and probably does very little for the ESPN deal (the one w/o the path to an open market).

"Caving" to ND may or may not have been stupid, see unverified rumor that it gets the ACC tv deal up to the level of the Big12 TV deal vs. the potential that it pushed Delany's hand to add Maryland.

and we've discussed the first tv deal too many times to go into it again.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium