Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:44 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9971974/gamble-ad-tom-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

Louisville's AD informed the NNNNNNNNNBE they were leaving the conf before they had an offer from anywhere, onions!

Why did Louisville have to pay so much more than cuse and pitt?

Cuz of the stupid tax.

heh - manny's stupid
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:43 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9971974/gamble-ad-tom-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

Louisville's AD informed the NNNNNNNNNBE they were leaving the conf before they had an offer from anywhere, onions!

Cuz of the stupid tax.

heh - manny's stupid

Pssshhht. Louisville's the Vinny Gucci Hat of Kentucky. I'm from the good part.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Cuz of the stupid tax.

heh - manny's stupid

Tennessee?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/19/maryland-acc-exit-penalty-appeal/

Maryland loses their appeal. Ouch.

Thoughts?

Just upheld denial of Maryland's motion to dismiss the case, so it can go forward. Lot more to come, unless they settle - which I doubt the ACC will do.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:05 pm

What was the basis for allowing an appeal of a denied motion to dismiss on an interlocutory basis? That's extraordinary appellate relief.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What was the basis for allowing an appeal of a denied motion to dismiss on an interlocutory basis? That's extraordinary appellate relief.

You forgot to say "glaven!".
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What was the basis for allowing an appeal of a denied motion to dismiss on an interlocutory basis? That's extraordinary appellate relief.

According to the aricle: The school argued that it is an arm of the state and therefore should be protected against the lawsuit. The Terrapins may still appeal the ruling to a higher court."

According to IBpedia: "Many jurisdictions make an exception for decisions that are particularly prejudicial to the rights of one of the parties. For example, if a party is asserting some form of immunity from suit, or is claiming that the court completely lacks personal jurisdiction over them, then it is recognized that being forced to wait for the conclusion of the trial would violate their right not to be subjected to a trial at all."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

According to the aricle: The school argued that it is an arm of the state and therefore should be protected against the lawsuit. The Terrapins may still appeal the ruling to a higher court."

According to IBpedia: "Many jurisdictions make an exception for decisions that are particularly prejudicial to the rights of one of the parties. For example, if a party is asserting some form of immunity from suit, or is claiming that the court completely lacks personal jurisdiction over them, then it is recognized that being forced to wait for the conclusion of the trial would violate their right not to be subjected to a trial at all."

Ah. I don't believe we have the personal jurisdiction exception and I had not heard the sovereign immunity exception. It's usually just injunctions and other immediately applicable orders like receiverships, etc.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby rktbrkr on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Would the MD board have gone ahead if they knew it would really cost 53M? There was a lot of unhappiness about leaving the ACC anyway. Some smart ass lawyer was probably blowing in their ears telling them they could get away with 10M payment knowing his firm would pick up millions in legal fees battling it out.

But it's tough for an august body to admit they made a mistake - especially when they know they won't be personally liable for the consequences of their error in judgement.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby James Kilmeady on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:43 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Cuz of the stupid tax.

heh - manny's stupid

Oh they'll make you or break you but they'll never forsake you...
James Kilmeady
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Would the MD board have gone ahead if they knew it would really cost 53M? There was a lot of unhappiness about leaving the ACC anyway. Some smart ass lawyer was probably blowing in their ears telling them they could get away with 10M payment knowing his firm would pick up millions in legal fees battling it out.

But it's tough for an august body to admit they made a mistake - especially when they know they won't be personally liable for the consequences of their error in judgement.

They made their decision partly based upon numbers that show them making an additional $100mm over the course of the first 6 years in the conference. If they have to pay the full freight to leave, they STILL come out ahead financially. Even if the untold millions of broadcast rights never materialize and the financial gap between the ACC and B10 narrows incredibly, MD trustees will still claim success as they'll cite to research dollars that Congress seems to funnel to the CAA or whatever they call it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Ah. I don't believe we have the personal jurisdiction exception and I had not heard the sovereign immunity exception. It's usually just injunctions and other immediately applicable orders like receiverships, etc.

Wait are you a lawyer?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:19 pm

The ACC better not settle.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm

All ACC victories so far. The lawsuit filed by Maryland in Maryland state court, filed after the lawsuit in North Carolina, has been stayed pending the outcome of the North Carolina litigation.

I, for one, would be hard pressed to believe that the North Carolina Supreme Court will accept Maryland's petition to appeal this decision.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Wait are you a lawyer?

Stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 am

Bought tickets for MD, $20 to get into their equivalent of the Flynn Fund seats. Based on what's listed on the ticket, looks like they're dumping them on stubhub.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Bought tickets for MD, $20 to get into their equivalent of the Flynn Fund seats. Based on what's listed on the ticket, looks like they're dumping them on stubhub.

Has anyone done the Maryland trip before. Was debating driving down and back from Connecticut for the day. Was planning on leaving around 8 or 9 for a 4-4.5 hour drive. What should I expect in terms of time getting down there, traffic/problematic areas, parking situation at UMD, etc.. ???
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Bought tickets for MD, $20 to get into their equivalent of the Flynn Fund seats. Based on what's listed on the ticket, looks like they're dumping them on stubhub.

Has anyone done the Maryland trip before. Was debating driving down and back from Connecticut for the day. Was planning on leaving around 8 or 9 for a 4-4.5 hour drive. What should I expect in terms of time getting down there, traffic/problematic areas, parking situation at UMD, etc.. ???

I've never been there so it would be the blind leading the blind but one suggestion is they hvae parking passes available on stubhub so I'd grab one of those if you decide to make the trip

__

BTW by "they're dumping them on stubhub" I mean the school.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:48 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Based on what's listed on the ticket, looks like they're dumping them on stubhub.

That exit fee isn't going to pay itself.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The primary problem for me is the NJ turnpike.

I would allow more time than expected, as I always recall hitting traffic driving down that way. UM's athletic facilities are basically part of a giant strip mall, so - as I recall, there is a lot of available parking. But - its been a long time.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 am

how bad could the jersey turnpike be on a sat morn? should be able to fly
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 am

I would give yourself five-plus hours if you're coming from CT. not knowing where and how long it will take you to get to and around NYC, I will say, it should be three hours to Baltimore from where the turnpike and the parkway meet in New Jersey. I would take the Jersey Turnpike -> Delaware Memorial Bridge -> I-95 -> all the way through Maryland -> get off on Route 1. When 95 ends, take 495 West and stay in the left lanes, the exit for Route 1 are there. IIRC, mapping software does something effing idiotic with this exit.

Potential trouble spots are north Jersey/NYC and Delaware. There is always some flavor or another of total asshattery going on in or near the Delaware tolls. Delaware is such a wretched little turd of a state.

The other traffic area will be where 95 meets the DC beltway. Never, ever underestimate the potential stupidity of that place. You might be looking at your magic map computers and see this road called 295 off to the east of 95 - DO NOT GET ON 295. The morning it might be ok... but the afternoon it will be a no-reason shitshow for 30 miles north of DC. Traffic just spontaneously appears there. Gamday traffic around UMD will be substantial, as it's the intersection of a few large roads that people use to traverse the area, 495, 95, and Rhode Island Ave up out of DC.

The gameday experience isn't worth writing home about - some lots, some bars on Route 1, a lot of dumb kids from Jersey and New york state.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I would give yourself five-plus hours if you're coming from CT. not knowing where and how long it will take you to get to and around NYC, I will say, it should be three hours to Baltimore from where the turnpike and the parkway meet in New Jersey. I would take the Jersey Turnpike -> Delaware Memorial Bridge -> I-95 -> all the way through Maryland -> get off on Route 1. When 95 ends, take 495 West and stay in the left lanes, the exit for Route 1 are there. IIRC, mapping software does something effing idiotic with this exit.

Potential trouble spots are north Jersey/NYC and Delaware. There is always some flavor or another of total asshattery going on in or near the Delaware tolls. Delaware is such a wretched little turd of a state.

The other traffic area will be where 95 meets the DC beltway. Never, ever underestimate the potential stupidity of that place. You might be looking at your magic map computers and see this road called 295 off to the east of 95 - DO NOT GET ON 295. The morning it might be ok... but the afternoon it will be a no-reason shitshow for 30 miles north of DC. Traffic just spontaneously appears there. Gamday traffic around UMD will be substantial, as it's the intersection of a few large roads that people use to traverse the area, 495, 95, and Rhode Island Ave up out of DC.

The gameday experience isn't worth writing home about - some lots, some bars on Route 1, a lot of dumb kids from Jersey and New york state.

if you take this route and don't have ezpass, bring plenty of quarters
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:18 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I would give yourself five-plus hours if you're coming from CT. not knowing where and how long it will take you to get to and around NYC, I will say, it should be three hours to Baltimore from where the turnpike and the parkway meet in New Jersey. I would take the Jersey Turnpike -> Delaware Memorial Bridge -> I-95 -> all the way through Maryland -> get off on Route 1. When 95 ends, take 495 West and stay in the left lanes, the exit for Route 1 are there. IIRC, mapping software does something effing idiotic with this exit.

AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:13 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:how bad could the jersey turnpike be on a sat morn? should be able to fly

but youre still in jerzee
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:The gameday experience isn't worth writing home about - some lots, some bars on Route 1, a lot of dumb kids.

This.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:33 am

If you live in the northeast and don't have EZ Pass, suck stay a shotgun
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali