Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I still think 20 years from now college football won't exist as it does today. I am very curious: board members with a kid in the 0-5 range, would you want your son playing football as he grows up? I'm pretty sure I've seen Tyler Rouse get concussed a half dozen times in his career and he's not going to make a cent playing football.

No, but it's because my kids are white and as a result, eepstein said they will not be good
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:06 pm

So... according to this link, our own gumshoe has revealed the final B12 expansion list of candidates.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/repor ... 18723.html

Of course, in his haste to release the names behind a payroll, it's seems he wrote something like:

The Big 12 has sent out its “preferred list” of potential expansion candidates and that it is AAC heavy (UConn/Cincy/UH/Memphis) along with BYU and reference that UCF, USF and two ACC schools (who remain nameless) are on this purported list.

That was later corrected to "two AAC schools". That typo certainly makes a world of difference.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:So... according to this link, our own gumshoe has revealed the final B12 expansion list of candidates.

Of course, in his haste to release the names behind a payroll, it's seems he wrote something like:

The Big 12 has sent out its “preferred list” of potential expansion candidates and that it is AAC heavy (UConn/Cincy/UH/Memphis) along with BYU and reference that UCF, USF and two ACC schools (who remain nameless) are on this purported list.

That was later corrected to "two AAC schools". That typo certainly makes a world of difference.

Interesting coincidence here - College Football News mentions the Big 12 going after BC & Syracuse if they were to add UConn.

I don't see BC making that move in a million years.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/big ... t-carolina
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:36 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:So... according to this link, our own gumshoe has revealed the final B12 expansion list of candidates.

Interesting coincidence here - College Football News mentions the Big 12 going after BC & Syracuse if they were to add UConn.

leahy would have to eat his hat if we made that move. the big 12 doesn't have the academic pedigree that the good father touted on the move to the acc
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 am

so i guess the dead conference walking is going to decide today whether to expand or not

they'll probably kick the can down the road and look to review in 2017
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

leahy would have to eat his hat if we made that move. the big 12 doesn't have the academic pedigree that the good father touted on the move to the acc

Will they add Big 12 hockey?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:20 pm

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:43 pm

i normally dont get into this stuff, but surely if uconn doesnt get into that conference they need to start folding the program?

also someone please who is talented at that stuff make a fake one with uconns logos
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:37 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Sources saying there will be no expansion. No teams received enough votes.

May be the best move rather than dilute the conference with watered-down garbage up for grabs.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Sounds like they wanted BYU. But, when concerns over backlash from LGBT were raised, they cooled on the whole idea. Essentially, it sounds like they wanted BYU plus 1 more team (which would've still held qualifty as could still have Houston as an option). Once looked like BYU was out, so was interest in expansion.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... l-rejected
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 am

Iowa State's Athletic Director explained the Big XII's rationale in staying put...
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... iowa-state

[Big 12] commissioner [Bob] Bowlsby was kind of forced into having to go through this process. When you know that the athletic administrators think that the best solution is the solution we currently have, why would we then want to say, 'No, we'd rather have 12 members?'

Because we want to add more schools to this league that are going to be like Rutgers or Boston College in their conferences? Which have no fans coming to the games, and they're getting outscored 170 to whatever it was. In Boston College's case, haven't won a game in two to three years in their conference. That totally dilutes your value.

At 10, we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road versus adding maybe members that would only clutter up the process. People say, 'In eight years, Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt.' Well, if we added teams and forced it on them, I guarantee they'd bolt. So that's a part of this process that people aren't thinking about.

The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference, and we're getting $3 million [in annual TV revenue, a drastic decrease]. We've got two star players, whether people want to like that or not: Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm glad to be on a team that's got two great players. We benefit from being on that team. We could go play on a team and be the star, but then people would be saying, 'How do you get us in one of those Power Five conferences, Mr. AD?'"

I don't fault anybody for making a mockery of the process from the outside, because if you were on the outside, that's what it looked like. I think the best thing that could happen for the Big 12, is that everybody who's talking about what they think they know is the right answer to quit talking about it, and just let the ADs go do what they need to do.

I think it's fair to say that a lot more money will be coming into the Big 12 over the next eight years. The league is really strong. Everybody just wants to beat it up.

I guarantee as it appears today, somebody's not going to get in the College Football Playoff this year. If it's a Big 12 team, I can guarantee somebody's going to say, 'It's because the Big 12 didn't expand.' I guarantee that will be the narrative, because it's an easy narrative to pick on. But I'd remind them, it's never quite as clear as any of us would like it to be.

Congrats to Fr. Leahy for appropriately positioning BC Athletics in its relative importance to the larger University mission. Congrats to the University Board of Trustees for giving him the appropriate resources to accomplish his goal.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Iowa State's Athletic Director explained the Big XII's rationale in staying put...

[Big 12] commissioner [Bob] Bowlsby was kind of forced into having to go through this process. When you know that the athletic administrators think that the best solution is the solution we currently have, why would we then want to say, 'No, we'd rather have 12 members?'

Because we want to add more schools to this league that are going to be like Rutgers or Boston College in their conferences? Which have no fans coming to the games, and they're getting outscored 170 to whatever it was. In Boston College's case, haven't won a game in two to three years in their conference. That totally dilutes your value.

At 10, we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road versus adding maybe members that would only clutter up the process. People say, 'In eight years, Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt.' Well, if we added teams and forced it on them, I guarantee they'd bolt. So that's a part of this process that people aren't thinking about.

The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference, and we're getting $3 million [in annual TV revenue, a drastic decrease]. We've got two star players, whether people want to like that or not: Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm glad to be on a team that's got two great players. We benefit from being on that team. We could go play on a team and be the star, but then people would be saying, 'How do you get us in one of those Power Five conferences, Mr. AD?'"

I don't fault anybody for making a mockery of the process from the outside, because if you were on the outside, that's what it looked like. I think the best thing that could happen for the Big 12, is that everybody who's talking about what they think they know is the right answer to quit talking about it, and just let the ADs go do what they need to do.

I think it's fair to say that a lot more money will be coming into the Big 12 over the next eight years. The league is really strong. Everybody just wants to beat it up.

I guarantee as it appears today, somebody's not going to get in the College Football Playoff this year. If it's a Big 12 team, I can guarantee somebody's going to say, 'It's because the Big 12 didn't expand.' I guarantee that will be the narrative, because it's an easy narrative to pick on. But I'd remind them, it's never quite as clear as any of us would like it to be.

Congrats to Fr. Leahy for appropriately positioning BC Athletics in its relative importance to the larger University mission. Congrats to the University Board of Trustees for giving him the appropriate resources to accomplish his goal.

That is sad, embarrassing and angering.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:44 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Iowa State's Athletic Director explained the Big XII's rationale in staying put...

The ironic part is that currently Iowa State fits into this equation: Rutgers:BIG as BC:ACC as ___:Big12. You'd think Iowa State would see the value of adding a doormat-ier doormat. They've only won 4 conference games in the last 4 years. We've at least won 8.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

The ironic part is that currently Iowa State fits into this equation: Rutgers:BIG as BC:ACC as ___:Big12. You'd think Iowa State would see the value of adding a doormat-ier doormat. They've only won 4 conference games in the last 4 years. We've at least won 8.

Yeah, I was going to mention this, too.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:53 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:The ironic part is that currently Iowa State fits into this equation: Rutgers:BIG as BC:ACC as ___:Big12. You'd think Iowa State would see the value of adding a doormat-ier doormat. They've only won 4 conference games in the last 4 years. We've at least won 8.

What is shocking to me is that he admits that the conference is nothing but 2 Snow Whites and the 8 Dwarfs. By killing the B10 expansion, in a scenario where Texas and Oklhoma flees to PAC12 or SEC, any shot that ISU would be considered by the B10 pretty much just ended.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:17 pm

good read on the death of the b12 starting with a&m / mizzou (it's pretty long)

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/zero-t ... conference
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 am

rutgres with some nice publicity in the sunday times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/12/spor ... front&_r=0
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:46 am

At least we're awful without cost to the taxpayers.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:rutgres with some nice publicity in the sunday times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/12/spor ... front&_r=0

More seriously, Rutgers, like other “big-time” schools, chooses pretty female students as “ambassadors” to show male recruits around campus. The N.C.A.A. has accused Rutgers of allowing two ambassadors to meet with the recruits in dorm rooms, which is prohibited.

Does this include Rutgers boosters offering up their female relatives to recruits?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Does this include Rutgers boosters offering up their female relatives to recruits?

that picture seems to have been removed from the internet.

that makes me sad
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 am

Went to the Big10 Tournament.

Really glad Maryland is gone their fans are awful
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 am

BC making bank by sucking... well, until we get kicked OUT of the ACC (which isn't anywhere near as absurd as it once was).
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... hree-years
The ACC, like many conferences, splits the revenue equally. With 16 members, that puts the three-year tournament take for each ACC school at around $6.8 million. That's even for Boston College, who hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament for the last eight years.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 am

I don't hear any rumblings about Georgia Tech, who has only been to the tourney once in the last 10 years.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:07 pm

When you don't win any conference games, it kinda allows the media to use you as the example of the worst program in the conference. It will take years of consistent Top 5 finishes in BOTH BB and FB for BC to stop being a punchline. Congrats Leahy, Marin and anyone else who allowed Leahy to destroy Monan's athletic department.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:When you don't win any conference games, it kinda allows the media to use you as the example of the worst program in the conference. It will take years of consistent Top 5 finishes in BOTH BB and FB for BC to stop being a punchline. Congrats Leahy, Marin and anyone else who allowed Leahy to destroy Monan's athletic department.

Disagree.
People have short memories. 1-2 years of above average results and we will no longer be the punchline of the ACC.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:04 pm

I would argue the article presents the bad analogy. I'm just using its logic to make a point.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I understand why they used BC as an example. You don't need to rehash history with me. I'm pointing out that it's shitty and lazy writing in the hopes of getting a zinger.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:59 pm

I can't wait to read the story when the sanctions are handed down against UNC - University of Notorious Cheaters!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:51 am

Today the AAC added Wichita State for all sports. No matter how bad BC football and basketball may get, thank Jesus we landed in the ACC...

EDIT: They don't play football, obviously. So all sports except football.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium