Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Someone on twitter (@jfowlercbs) just said the ACC is in contact with Louisville, USF, Cincy and yukon with yukon and Ville being leaders at the clubhouse. I for one pray, if swof is this reactionary (which is stupid) that they take Vill. I dont care about academics anymore, take the best atheltic program.

It won't matter unless you first resolve shit internally. Grabbing a crappy NBE school does not stop the next domino from falling. This is such a predictably panicked, shortsighted, Transghese-Swofford-like move. Effing USF??? Is that meant to further push FSU out the door? No thought about USNA?

I don't think the USNA is any more of a real solution than Louisville. Maybe a slightly larger bandaid.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm

A few points...

ESPN should care about second tier rights. They have hundreds of hours to fill across ESPN, ABC, ESPN 2 and ESPN U each fall. If the SEC forms a cable network, ESPN will need the ACC to fill even more slots.

In 2010 Fox did bid on the ACC package. In 2010 Larry Scott also proposed an ACC-Pac 10 network. Not exploring that was the end of the ACC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I still don't get what the B1G gets out of this. These programs suck.

Television revenues of cable subscribers in NJ and DC/VA/MD that will start to receive the B1G network as a part of their cable package.

It doesn't matter if anyone watches it or not, the B1G gets money just for having it in their channel line-up.

In other words, its a cash grab for sub-par products that the consumer doesn't really get a say in. We need more unions!!!!
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I still don't get what the B1G gets out of this. These programs suck.

It has nothing to do with football. It's overseas expansion opportunities. Currently the Big 10 only controlled one deep-water port - Philadelphia. That's not enough shipping capacity. Maryland and New Jersey provide numerous deep-water port facilities. You need those to launch an amphibious invasion of Europe or the Middle East.

Think about it - you can only generate so many addditional dollars from ticket receipts and TV rights contracts. The real money is still in oil and commodities. The Big 10 will own Saudi Arabia before you know it.

You've got to give Delaney credit - there is no end to the man's ambition.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I think it would be really funny if the ACC added Cincinnati.
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:48 pm

The ACC originally expanded for media markets and to strengthen their FB programs. They accomplished that but then didn't maximize the leverage of their TV markets (just like the Big East failed to do). They followed the SEC model in just traditionally offering rights to the highest bidder at the moment. The SEC did it for 15 years... to keep up, the ACC did it for 12 (wanting to do a deal before the SEC's next window). It was short-sighted stale thinking. The B1G, on the other hand, doesn't care about the quality of the sports program. They think they have enough. They are more concerned about TV sets. That's all that RU and MD offer. The BTN is already in those markets. But, now Fox will try and negotiate the channel to be carried at a drastically higher rate. How successful they are in doing so will determine how succesful the expansion was. Regardless, know that ESPN will be bidding North of $30mm to retain the DC market they had for almost half that price. That short-sightedness will play itself out 8 more times if the ACC dissolves. ESPN seems unaware of this eventuality. Amazing to me that they could've stopped all of this just by offer $2.5mm more per team.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:A few points...

ESPN should care about second tier rights. They have hundreds of hours to fill across ESPN, ABC, ESPN 2 and ESPN U each fall. If the SEC forms a cable network, ESPN will need the ACC to fill even more slots.

In 2010 Fox did bid on the ACC package. In 2010 Larry Scott also proposed an ACC-Pac 10 network. Not exploring that was the end of the ACC.

Swofford was petrified to leave ESPN. ESPN promised Swoffy that they would be partners with an open-door policy and that they would ALWAYS look after the conference as it would be its most cherished property. Swofford is an idiot. ESPN is a merciless, win at all cost corporate entity. This was never a fair fight.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:

Television revenues of cable subscribers in NJ and DC/VA/MD that will start to receive the B1G network as a part of their cable package.

It doesn't matter if anyone watches it or not, the B1G gets money just for having it in their channel line-up.

In other words, its a cash grab for sub-par products that the consumer doesn't really get a say in. We need more unions!!!!

People in those states dont already get the big10 network?

I get it out here in vegas.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:

They get it, but the cable company doesn't pay a premium to carry it. B1G/Fox essentially gives it away free to areas where there is no B1G team. The cable companies aren't going to be victims here however. There is nothing that says that they are forced to pay $1.00 a household in MD/Jersey/NY just because of this move. And they won't. But... even a slight increase in revenue makes this deal worth while from the B1G. Long term... who knows. There is a risk it hurts the brand. But, if they sign a 15 year deal... they really won't care as they will at least be still standing. Same can't be said about the ACC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

It has nothing to do with football. It's overseas expansion opportunities. Currently the Big 10 only controlled one deep-water port - Philadelphia. That's not enough shipping capacity. Maryland and New Jersey provide numerous deep-water port facilities. You need those to launch an amphibious invasion of Europe or the Middle East.

Think about it - you can only generate so many addditional dollars from ticket receipts and TV rights contracts. The real money is still in oil and commodities. The Big 10 will own Saudi Arabia before you know it.

This is a great point that I think we all overlooked. Although, you also left out that by controlling these new ports, the big10 will remain in control of the worlds spice trade. Colonialist oppressive scum.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby SiValEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Should we expect the B1G to go to 16?

Who would be their next two targets?

Would any ACC school turn them down at this point?
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Swofford was petrified to leave ESPN. ESPN promised Swoffy that they would be partners with an open-door policy and that they would ALWAYS look after the conference as it would be its most cherished property. Swofford is an idiot. ESPN is a merciless, win at all cost corporate entity. This was never a fair fight.

R
E
T
A
R
D
E
D
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 pm

SiValEagle {l Wrote}:Should we expect the B1G to go to 16?

They would want 2 land grant state schools continguous to the South of Maryland. UNC and UVA are #1 and #2 on their hit list.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Just seems to me that Time Warner's not likely to say "Oh now you've got Rutgers? Cool, here's 50 cents a set for every subscriber in New York, a city that could give a flying fuck about Rutgers."
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

But the Big 10 is still unable to fight a two front war. The alliance with the Pac 12 would have secured its western front and allowed it access to the Pacific. History is repeating itself here. I predict their teams get bogged down by the long supply lines and brutal winter of southern Idaho.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

R
E
T
A
R
D
E
D

I find it comical that you still defend Swofford. Do you also need to give Spazoo more time? With the all the injuries, youth and cupboard-bareness... its RETARDED to think that we know for sure whether he is a good head coach or not. I mean, some very important people who make a lot of money made the decision to hire Spaz. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that they were all wrong and some random message boards were right.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:17 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Just seems to me that Time Warner's not likely to say "Oh now you've got Rutgers? Cool, here's 50 cents a set for every subscriber in New York, a city that could give a flying fuck about Rutgers."

They absolutely will not agree. But, Fox also just bought YES. How this has worked in the past is that the entity... Fox... will package ALL of its properties together in negotiations. So... Time Warner won't ever get a chance to agree to carry or not carry the BTN.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby xu9697 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm

This is all so crazy. Next thing you know, Black Friday will be a bigger deal than Thanksgiving Day!! Oh, wait...
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm

Someone let me know when I can take HJS off the ignore. I just dawned on me that I was doing a lot of scrolling to read 3-4 posts a page. I realized I was subconsciously ignoring all posts of people patting themselves on the back for things about which they were wrong. So might as well ignore HJS to solve that problem.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bluefishskip on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 pm

HJS: Tier 3 games.....have Raycom run the ACC Network.....i'm sure there is a way to get games......to go along with self-produced shows that fill 90% of the Networks now
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

R
E
T
A
R
D
E
D

I find it comical that you still defend Swofford. Do you also need to give Spazoo more time? With the all the injuries, youth and cupboard-bareness... its RETARDED to think that we know for sure whether he is a good head coach or not. I mean, some very important people who make a lot of money made the decision to hire Spaz. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that they were all wrong and some random message boards were right.

There are legitimate criticisms of Swofford. You make up your own instead because you are retarded. You like to post -as fact- one cause to a result without having any basis to support that cause versus another cause. For instance, you say Swofford was afraid to leave ESPN, yet I'm certain you have no idea as to whether ESPN simply outbid Fox. I don't understand the Spaziani comparison. I think it might be retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DickWashBowl on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Someone let me know when I can take HJS off the ignore. I just dawned on me that I was doing a lot of scrolling to read 3-4 posts a page. I realized I was subconsciously ignoring all posts of people patting themselves on the back for things about which they were wrong. So might as well ignore HJS to solve that problem.

If the tyrants here weren't such tyrants, this could be addressed with some well placed meat bombs. However, much like the post-showboating-home-run-bean-ball ejection and post-showboating-dunk-hard-foul-double-technical, this form of justice has been tempered with the ban hammer.
DickWashBowl
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Just seems to me that Time Warner's not likely to say "Oh now you've got Rutgers? Cool, here's 50 cents a set for every subscriber in New York, a city that could give a flying fuck about Rutgers."

Agreed.

This is the company that didn't get the NFL network until a couple of weeks into this season.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm

DickWashBowl {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Someone let me know when I can take HJS off the ignore. I just dawned on me that I was doing a lot of scrolling to read 3-4 posts a page. I realized I was subconsciously ignoring all posts of people patting themselves on the back for things about which they were wrong. So might as well ignore HJS to solve that problem.

If the tyrants here weren't such tyrants, this could be addressed with some well placed meat bombs. However, much like the post-showboating-home-run-bean-ball ejection and post-showboating-dunk-hard-foul-double-technical, this form of justice has been tempered with the ban hammer.

Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
DickWashBowl {l Wrote}:

Your ability to switch aliases that quickly is amazing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby SiValEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
SiValEagle {l Wrote}:Should we expect the B1G to go to 16?

They would want 2 land grant state schools continguous to the South of Maryland. UNC and UVA are #1 and #2 on their hit list.

Wrong. BC is #1 target because HOCKEY.
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby BCWest on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:

Some places get it. But the BTN is going to try and go from (these numbers are not accurate), $0.25 a month per subscriber to $1.00 a month.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
DickWashBowl {l Wrote}:

Your ability to switch aliases that quickly is amazing.

0J is posting as DickWashBowl today.
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:36 pm

That explains it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DickWashBowl on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm

DickWashBowl
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium