Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:23 pm

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:33 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:So?

Exactly.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:47 am

this guy says the new cfp playoff format will force nd to join a conference - the acc. he says the reason the fsu lawsuit was delayed is because details of nd joining are being worked out which means a bigly increase in revenue. :shrug

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/friedlander-new-playoff-format-could-force-notre-dames-hand-and-become-the-accs-lifeline/
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:54 pm

It could create 3 pods based on rivalries:
ND-BC-Cuse-Stan-Cal-SMU
UNC-NCS-WF-Duke-VT-UVA
FSU-MIA-Clem-GT-Ville-Pitt

Won’t happen because money and college is all about the opposite of making sense.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:It could create 3 pods based on rivalries:
ND-BC-Cuse-Stan-Cal-SMU
UNC-NCS-WF-Duke-VT-UVA

Won’t happen because money and college is all about the opposite of making sense.

The NC/VA division is like the NFC South.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:43 am

ND-BC-Cuse-Stan-Cal-SMU
UNC-NCS-WF-Duke-VT-UVA

ND would love built in trips to CA and Texas for recruiting. I like playing ND, but maybe swap SMU with Pitt. (travel costs you know)
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:27 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
ND-BC-Cuse-Stan-Cal-SMU
UNC-NCS-WF-Duke-VT-UVA

ND would love built in trips to CA and Texas for recruiting. I like playing ND, but maybe swap SMU with Pitt. (travel costs you know)

The ND division would be whatever ND wants it to be.
The UNC division would be whatever UNC wants it to be.
The FSU/Clemson/MIA division would enrichen their rivalries for their eventual move to the SEC.
What you would do is create a 9th conference game for everyone based on their ranking. You would then essentially create an intraconference semi-final playoff game (which you could sell for additional revs) where the Division Champs and highest ranked non-champ play each other for the last game of the year... winners to the ACCCG. The rest of the conference plays a final conference game based upon their ranking (so the last place teams play each other... and so on).

Nonetheless, it won't matter as this isn't going to be a thing. Just putting it out there so it can be dusted-off for when we join the AAC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 pm

As I am sure everyone saw, Clemson sued to be let out of the ACC. Unlike FSU, I always liked Clemson and their fans. However, if I am being honest, I never viewed them as any sort of powerhouse. I actually viewed them as the Soithern version of our prorgam. Middling but dangerous week-to-week. They made all the right moves in bringing in Dabo as we made the wrong moves hiring Spaz.

With the devolving changes of the college FB, Clemson has almost no chance of competing to be anything more than what an afterthought Gamecocks program is. I thought Clemson was smart enough to know that their only chance of continued relevance was to remain in a lesser conference where it could avoid getting stomped 5 times a year by schools paying players 10x what Clemson offered.

But… here we are… yet another school making a panic decision based on FOMO. It doesn’t have much impact on the ACC other than the optics of losing a founding program. Truthfully, Clemson seemed to be reverting to the mean and the Anderson TV market isn’t one CBS has been clamoring for. I hope they find whatever it is they are looking for as their fans are good people.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:51 am

I feel like the ACC is one of those shot-up bombers leaking fuel depicted in Masters of the Air, and we're just trying to keep the thing flying until 2036, but there's only enough fuel to get us to 2030 or so, if we're lucky. And one engine just started failing. One way or the other, we're going to have to ditch. It's just a matter of time.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:35 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I feel like the ACC is one of those shot-up bombers leaking fuel depicted in Masters of the Air, and we're just trying to keep the thing flying until 2036, but there's only enough fuel to get us to 2030 or so, if we're lucky. And one engine just started failing. One way or the other, we're going to have to ditch. It's just a matter of time.

Funny thing is that I think our only possible landing spot is the Big 10 and it has a lot to do with Hockey. Unfortunately, we will be a fish out of water, like Northwestern and its a really shitty travel schedule.

I think you see a cobbled together ACC.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:58 am

I don’t see why Michigan and Ohio State are going to keep feeding all those needy programs in the Big16 or how long Texas plays nice in the sandbox with schools with zero TV markets. My point is that the same dynamics that are causing the top teams in the P10 and ACC to leave will still exist in the Big 2. Eventually, wouldn’t a conference composed of only USC, OSU, Mich, PSU, Florida, Tex, Okla, Bama, UGA and ND be the way to best maximize the financial value of athletics at those schools? And, if not that, wouldn’t each of those schools demand 2x to 5x whatever payout the rest of their conference mates are making? At the end of the day, shedding ACC and B12 from the TV kitty won’t be enough to the very few programs that matter. They aren’t concerned about gaining a financial advantage over Wake. They are looking to gain a permanent financial over Tennessee and Wisconsin.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I don’t see why Michigan and Ohio State are going to keep feeding all those needy programs in the Big16 or how long Texas plays nice in the sandbox with schools with zero TV markets. My point is that the same dynamics that are causing the top teams in the P10 and ACC to leave will still exist in the Big 2. Eventually, wouldn’t a conference composed of only USC, OSU, Mich, PSU, Florida, Tex, Okla, Bama, UGA and ND be the way to best maximize the financial value of athletics at those schools? And, if not that, wouldn’t each of those schools demand 2x to 5x whatever payout the rest of their conference mates are making? At the end of the day, shedding ACC and B12 from the TV kitty won’t be enough to the very few programs that matter. They aren’t concerned about gaining a financial advantage over Wake. They are looking to gain a permanent financial over Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Agreed, but I think that kills the golden goose. Watching college football is ancillary to me watching BC. If BC isnt competitive I dont watch. I went from watching NCAA basketball every week to not having watched a full game in probably 15 years. I am sure I am not the only person that just cares about "their school" and a regular season PSU vs UGA isnt must see TV. I would rather watch BC-Wake.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:04 pm

The Golden Goose is dead and buried.

College players are employees… they have unions… they will be collectively bargaining… they will be getting paid salaries… have a draft… have free agency… never attend school. The schools that are mostly known for their FB teams have determined that the future of college sports is the G-League being played on college campuses located in Bottom 30 TV markets.

The rest will operate a version that looks like mid-major/Ivies. To that end, the dumbest thing the left-behind schools could ever do is give the Grapefruit League Schools a home for their non-revenue sports.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium