Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:Why do people want Notre Dame so bad?

money
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:59 am

Washington Post:

University of Maryland President Wallace Loh will brief the Board of Regents via telephone late Sunday afternoon about the school’s possible move to the Big Ten, an individual with direct knowledge of the situation said Sunday morning.

The Board of Regents, which oversees the entire University of Maryland system, will vote on the proposal at a meeting on Monday, but only Chair James L. Shea and Vice Chair Barry P. Gossett have received any detail so far. Shea and Gossett have been involved in the discussions since they started, the source said. The rest of the Board of Regents have been kept in the dark until this point.

The individual anticipates that the Board of Regents will ask Loh if he has had any recent contact with the ACC, which Maryland would be leaving after 59 years should the move be approved. “Have we even talked with the ACC about this?” the individual asked. “Or are they reading it in the paper like everyone else?”

The individual, who asked not to be named because of the situation’s sensitivity, said reaction from alumni has been swift.

“There are a lot of alumni upset about it,” the individual said. “People are e-mailing me and so forth. It seems to be a firestorm out there. I’m getting a lot of reaction from people.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2012/11/18/maryland-president-wallace-loh-to-brief-board-of-regents-on-big-ten-move/
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:27 pm

With 9903's constant support of Swoffy's negotiation skillz, I'd just like to point out that the B14 will be composed of 7 programs that are historically considered terrible (or at least in the bottom half of the BCS): Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois. That doesn't even including a terrible post-JoePa PSU and a long-struggling Iowa program. They have elite properties in Michigan and OSU. They have very good propreties in Nebraska, Wisco and MSU. But, do those 5 teams justify TWICE the revenues of the ACC? No. It was just mismanaged to such an extent that this is the result.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Nebraska is an elite product historically.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:With 9903's constant support of Swoffy's negotiation skillz, I'd just like to point out that the B14 will be composed of 7 programs that are historically considered terrible (or at least in the bottom half of the BCS): Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois. That doesn't even including a terrible post-JoePa PSU and a long-struggling Iowa program. They have elite properties in Michigan and OSU. They have very good propreties in Nebraska, Wisco and MSU. But, do those 5 teams justify TWICE the revenues of the ACC? No. It was just mismanaged to such an extent that this is the result.

You are exhausting to argue with because you are the most academically dishonest person on the board (except for 81). You constantly ignore the totality of the reasoning as to why it is a simplistic and inadequate argument to blame "bad negotiating" on the difference between the ACC and the better conferences, which involves a ton of repetition.

Rutgers and Maryland have had nothing to do with the current Bigten deal to date as they were in the bigeast and ACC respectively. Purdue and Illinois would be middle of the road ACC programs. PSU is not terrible. Iowa won an f'ing BCS bowl in 2010.

Here is the most important point which you are wilfully ignoring in the intrinsic value of the ACC/Bigten. FSU is the biggest school in the ACC with 40,838 students. 7 Bigten schools are bigger than the biggest school in the ACC! Illinois, Indiana, MSU, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin are all larger then FSU. The ACC has 6 private schools in BC, Wake, Miami, Pitt, Cuse, Duke (Duke, BC and Wake would all be the smallest school in the Big10, Pitt, Cuse and Miami would all be the second) and some tiny Publics(smaller than every school but Northwestern in the big10) in Clemson, Georgia Tech and UVA. This has a significant effect because the amount of living alumni of these mostly massive midwest land grants is conservatively probably between 3 and 4 times the amount of ACC living alums. I don't know if this combined with the superior football justifies double, but it absolutely justifies more money. Oh yeah and several of these schools are the biggest show in town and by town i mean the state.

I also disagree with your conclusions about on the field comparisons, just look at out of conference wins and BCS wins, the ACC has no top end.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm trying to rectify 9903's lynchpin argument with the number of students at Notre Dame. This may take a while...
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm trying to rectify 9903's lynchpin argument with the number of students at Notre Dame. This may take a while...

I have come to the conclusion that maybe you actually don't understand what I'm saying.

The short version is the Big10 is a more valuable property than the ACC because more people watch the big10 on television. This is true due to a variety of factors including but not limited to the respective size of the schools, for instance also including popularity of college football in the areas of the schools, better on the field performance.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I don't care if the Terps stay or go but I am concerned that this episode will enable the Noles or Tigers to jump ship. If Maryland does go, I'd fire Swofford like some have suggested, raise the exit fee to 100 million and bumped the notice time to 5 years. Also, Navy would be a fine full time member #14 and not SUEConn.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm trying to rectify 9903's lynchpin argument with the number of students at Notre Dame. This may take a while...

I have come to the conclusion that maybe you actually don't understand what I'm saying.

The short version is the Big10 is a more valuable property than the ACC because more people watch the big10 on television. This is true due to a variety of factors including but not limited to the respective size of the schools, for instance also including popularity of college football in the areas of the schools, better on the field performance.

If TV ratings is the reason for their great TV deal, then why does the ACC have such a terrible TV deal?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

If TV ratings is the reason for their great TV deal, then why does the ACC have such a terrible TV deal?

The Bigten and the SEC have by far and away better TV ratings. We've already had this argument more than once about the pac and the big12 so go look it up.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:25 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:All that matters in TV negotiations is TV ratings... except when they don't.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:All products are equal. Competing bidders don't effect a market. Television networks don't care about revenue and regularly bid against themselves without financial motivation, a shrewd negotiator can name his price and get it every time.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby jrlbc06 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:53 pm

:slapfight :slapfight :slapfight
jrlbc06
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:24 pm

jrlbc06 {l Wrote}::slapfight :slapfight :slapfight

Your right. This isn't going anywhere.

Just like there were people who wouldn't admit that Spaz was a terrible hire, there are people who won't admit that Swofford & Co. have made serious mistakes in it's negotiations over the media rights. It's not going to resolve itself until years from now... when, in hindsight, they redraft their position to say something like they always knew Swofford was a fool, but just didn't realize it would ultimately destroy the conference.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bosa90 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:54 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:All products are equal. Competing bidders don't effect a market. Television networks don't care about revenue and regularly bid against themselves without financial motivation, a shrewd negotiator can name his price and get it every time.

Gold!

:dildodog
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:57 pm

It's up to Maryland now. It all hinges on the vote tomorrow. It also looks like ESPN is going to stuff UConn down our throats and Swoffy (being a bitch) will obviously cave (to which 9903 will again support).
http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8649670
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:It's up to Maryland now. It all hinges on the vote tomorrow. It also looks like ESPN is going to stuff UConn down our throats and Swoffy (being a bitch) will obviously cave (to which 9903 will again support).
http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8649670

It comes down to will Maryland be bullied into jumping to the B1G by the "uber booster". Rutgres will take any life ring that's tossed to them.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

It would be a near unprecedented move for a Board to publicly bitch slap a recently appointed Prez. I was holding out hope that the B10 didn't want to make such a move to pick up crap programs. But now we are hoping on govt appointed trustees. Not a good position to be in.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Why don't we have an uber booster? I think we need one.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm

We do. He is the guy who posts as marineagle. He was the reason GDF was still the AD up until Sept.

Btw... you can rest assured that no ACC member will be forced to wear those UA shoes/unis after the contract expires.

Nonetheless, we are stuck watching every other conference member pretty itself up for the SEC, B10 and B12. Amazes me that WVU and RU will be fine and we will be battling UConn for relevance. Pathetic. But, GDF was way ahead of the curve and devalued sports before being forced to.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We do. He is the guy who posts as marineagle. He was the reason GDF was still the AD up until Sept.

Btw... you can rest assured that no ACC member will be forced to wear those UA shoes/unis after the contract expires.

Nonetheless, we are stuck watching every other conference member pretty itself up for the SEC, B10 and B12. Amazes me that WVU and RU will be fine and we will be battling UConn for relevance. Pathetic. But, GDF was way ahead of the curve and devalued sports before being forced to.

Cry me a river.

ACC added Pitt and Syracuse and quite frankly Maryland is not even that great of an ACC school. If Maryland is stupid enough to leave, we get $50 million to take our pick at schools (quite frankly we could spend a chunk of it on ND). And this "ND has the ACC by the balls" is bullshit. ND has already committed to the ACC, its options are either a) stay independent or b) join ACC. Honestly, at a time ACC gains a lot of revenue, it makes sense for ND to join in football and further strengthen the conference.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that was cut-n-pasted from UConn's message board.

The issue isn't MD. The issue is that it starts the dominos falling that results with BC not playing FSU, CU, GT, UVA, VT, UNC, MIA and NCS.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I heard a rumor that a new league called the Lambert League will be forming, PSU will probably dominate again.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:40 pm

bosa90 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Gold!

:dildodog

Hey retards... would the ACC be in a better position right now if they had their own network (or partnered with the P12)?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm

HJS,

Made a few phone calls this morning and have heard back... take this fwiw, as offered up by some shithead on a message board, but I lived in MD for 15 years and know lots of people at the grad schools in Baltimore and a handful of people in CP. So... there is a substantial and sudden resistance to the move from some of the old-school Maryland, My Maryland alumni. They don't like that an outsider is rushing into making a decision that's so closely tied to the state's identity for what they view as a money-grab for problems that could be solved in other ways (ha, this sort of reminds me of Lincoln declaring martial law in MD and rounding everyone up before the state could join the confederacy and wall DC off from the union - history does rhyme, doesnt it?).

MD has always had a bit of an identity issue, with the eastern shore and Baltimore being very southern, and the rest of the state being more northern (if that makes any sense) but at the end of the day, neither of these are midwestern.

Apparently a lot of these people are trying to get this sentiment in front of the BOT, but there's hardly any time - this is another major concern, basically, Loh's been working on this for a bit and flown under the radar. SO... the most informed person I spoke with thinks the Maryland-My-Maryland types will fail and that Loh will shrug off their concerns and not spurn the midwestern scum, and he thinks its to the university's and state's ultimate detriment. But it probably won't matter. UMD is probably gone tomorrow, according to everyone I talk to, in spite of a lot of longtime Merlinders who want the university to stay as is and fix its own problems its own way.

As to where that leaves us... well, back in the effing train station bench with UConn, probably. Wrong people in charge at the wrong times for three or four key decisions.

On a related note, even though the apple picking's wound down, it's going to be time for Christmas trees soon...
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:01 pm

I agree HJS. Seems like a big mistake on the ACC's part, especially the partnership w/ the Pac 10. Would have been a huge money maker. It's ridiculous the amount of games that are on the Pac 10 Network especially in the first 2 weeks of Basketball. ESPN3 is not the answer now.........maybe years from now, but that won't matter with the conference in disarray right now
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Let's not play revisionist history. Moving to the ACC was the right decision at the time.

Swofford's inability to leverage the DC and Boston media markets or the fact that the league has the only two college basketball teams anyone cares about, is shocking. As is the general evolution of conference realignment.

Given that B1G only cares about TV and not tradition/current quality, I think we should put a phone call into Delaney and hope we are in when they move to 16.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Let's not play revisionist history. Moving to the ACC was the right decision at the time.

Swofford's inability to leverage the DC and Boston media markets or the fact that the league has the only two college basketball teams anyone cares about, is shocking. As is the general evolution of conference realignment.

Given that B1G only cares about TV and not tradition/current quality, I think we should put a phone call into Delaney and hope we are in when they move to 16.

As much as I think that would be crazy when GDF was here, its not as crazy with Bates. I always wondered if the B1G would like BC for hockey. I dont think we have $50m laying around either. I also thought us going to the B1G would be a package deal with ND.

We need to hope ND loses on Sat and that they are at the bottom of the one loss teams due to strength of schedule and no championship game.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:17 pm

This article is pretty much what Tonto just said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html

I won't miss MD. But, my concern is what it means for the dominos. Swoffy fucking up 2 TV contracts, a second expansion and ND as a partial. He almost lost FSU and Clem and is now losing a founding member (which bodes poorly for the conference if Big East history tells us anything). He will add UConn to just cement his ineptitude.

It is very easy to see how the rest plays out and how we get stuck in a conference with Duke, Wake, Cuse, Pitt, UConn, Cincy and some directional Florida schools. Of course, none of this has anything to do with mismanagement.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:19 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:Let's not play revisionist history. Moving to the ACC was the right decision at the time.

As much as I think that would be crazy when GDF was here, its not as crazy with Bates. I always wondered if the B1G would like BC for hockey. I dont think we have $50m laying around either. I also thought us going to the B1G would be a package deal with ND.

We need to hope ND loses on Sat and that they are at the bottom of the one loss teams due to strength of schedule and no championship game.

Rutgers fans are laughing at this post because (a) it is the desperation that used to be posted on their board and (b) they never have to worry again as they just won the fucking lottery (through nothing of their own doing).
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium