Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:No one in NYC cares about Rutgers the same way no one in DC cares about Maryland

the same way no one in boston cares about bc

Billy Joel throws like a girl.

that's why i thought it perfect in this instance

Ahh...hepstein.

if only billy were throwing a pebble (aka - microstone)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:30 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:No one in NYC cares about Rutgers

correct, as we know yukon dominates the ny market
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:No one in NYC cares about Rutgers

correct, as we know yukon dominates the ny market

And Stony Brook
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:29 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:No one in NYC cares about Rutgers the same way no one in DC cares about Maryland

the same way no one in boston cares about bc

Billy Joel throws like a girl.

Loved that album.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:33 am

what made you stop liking it?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:43 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:what made you stop liking it?

Billy Joel's butt doesn't look like that anymore?

Actually, I think I still have that album, and some others (like Styx - Paradise Theatre) stored in the attic. They are probably warped from the heat by now though.
Last edited by Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

I think I still have it stored in the attic. It is probably warped from heat by now though.

On vinyl, 8-track, or cassette?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:47 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

I think I still have it stored in the attic. It is probably warped from heat by now though.

On vinyl, 8-track, or cassette?

Vinyl
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:10 pm

Britain to the B1G?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:25 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Britain to the B1G?

Excellent.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Who saw this coming???

ACC deal extended to 2035/36. ACC Network in 2019. GOR extended for additional 20 years. ND contractually obligated to join ACC if it wants to join a conference over the next 20 years.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

If Maryland permanently left college athletics I would greatly enjoy that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 pm

This was so out of left field that I wonder if something precipitated it... like the SEC or B10 sniffing around for a team(s).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Here's the link.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... cc-network

"When the ACC Network revenues are included, the ACC will be very competitive with the upper tier [Big Ten and SEC] of the Power 5 leagues," a source said.

This from TRE's favorite author in the Triangle:
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt- ... 93122.html
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Mike_S on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:07 pm

I just saw the article.

Super-good news IMO. No idea if it will really be competitive money-wise with the other 2 conferences, but the extra long grant of rights should protect BC if there's another wave of realignment/culling among the top conferences and being associated with ESPN should hopefully ensure DirecTV access (like with the Longhorn Network).

Now if only the line improves and the team can return to respectability soon...
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Mike_S {l Wrote}:Now if only the line improves and the team can return to respectability soon...

It means we likely don't have to worry about moving to the AAC or MAC in the near future. However, it also means that Fr. Leahy now has 20 more years of no motivation to give a shit about athletics.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:20 am

HJS {l Wrote}:This was so out of left field that I wonder if something precipitated it... like the SEC or B10 sniffing around for a team(s).

The boneyard and the other dark places of the internet would have you think so. But the timeline probably has more to do with the July 1, 2016 deadline that was set in the last ACC contract for ESPN either adding an ACCN or making annual ~$50M payouts to the ACC. An announcement of this sort was expected last month, but clearly Swofford was willing to be flexible on the date in order to get the deal he wanted.

But yeah, if you want theories of FSU to the BIG, you can find them.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This was so out of left field that I wonder if something precipitated it... like the SEC or B10 sniffing around for a team(s).

The boneyard and the other dark places of the internet would have you think so. But the timeline probably has more to do with the July 1, 2016 deadline that was set in the last ACC contract for ESPN either adding an ACCN or making annual ~$50M payouts to the ACC. An announcement of this sort was expected last month, but clearly Swofford was willing to be flexible on the date in order to get the deal he wanted.

Thanks. I had no idea.

I'm sure the Boneyard views this announcement as something the ACC is being forced to do to entice Yukon to join. You know... concrete proof that the conference has more long term stability than the AAC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 am

but but but the boneyard told us the acc was dead 3 years ago :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 am

Will this amount to fewer afternoons watching BC football on a laptop?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:35 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Will this amount to fewer afternoons watching BC football on a laptop?

No. More probably.

When did you start lying in your signature by the way?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:35 pm

The terrible thing about this is it preempts about eleventy-billion posts by HJS and others discussing how stupid Swofford is, how he can't negotiate his way out of a paper bag, and how the other conferences are leaving us in the dust on TV money.

For at least six months or so.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Bates has no excuses now not to install that diving board.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 pm

The Boneyard folks must be furiously masturbating to this...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/190537500/big-12-exploring-expansion-options-realignment

Relevant data...

Multiple Big 12 sources indicated that Cincinnati and Connecticut top the Big 12's "fluid," so-called "wish list," but Oklahoma president David Boren noted that the Big 12 is still open to expanding by two or four teams. News could come quick, too. Bowlsby told ESPN that the league could conceivably vote on specific expansion candidates as soon as September.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:The Boneyard folks must be furiously masturbating to this...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/190537500/big-12-exploring-expansion-options-realignment

Relevant data...

Multiple Big 12 sources indicated that Cincinnati and Connecticut top the Big 12's "fluid," so-called "wish list," but Oklahoma president David Boren noted that the Big 12 is still open to expanding by two or four teams. News could come quick, too. Bowlsby told ESPN that the league could conceivably vote on specific expansion candidates as soon as September.

I figured THE JERSEY GUY would be salivating over all this but it looks like his site is out of commission, not to worry tho, it appears he is writing for a site of equal status ...

https://tmgcollegesports.com/2016/07/19/big-12-looking-at-expansion-again/

Pushing for yukon as a football only member ? why would the B12 take yukon w/o its one potentially valuable asset ? good too see blauds is still dropping scorching takes
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:39 pm

B12 authorized Bowlsby to begin conversations with prospective schools. This about face on expansion was caused by the announcement from the ACC. That said, B12 has the feel of the old Big East. I'd bet money that neither Texas or Oklahoma have any interest in expansion... especially when AAC members are the only options. This feels more like a love by the other schools to have Texas, OU and OSU reaffirm their commitment.

I don't know how the B12 passes on Houston and BYU.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:B12 authorized Bowlsby to begin conversations with prospective schools. This about face on expansion was caused by the announcement from the ACC. That said, B12 has the feel of the old Big East. I'd bet money that neither Texas or Oklahoma have any interest in expansion... especially when AAC members are the only options. This feels more like a love by the other schools to have Texas, OU and OSU reaffirm their commitment.

agreed that the big 12/10 is dead conference walking

re the choices I'd include natti light in there as well
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ckoub01 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 am

HJS {l Wrote}:B12 authorized Bowlsby to begin conversations with prospective schools. This about face on expansion was caused by the announcement from the ACC. That said, B12 has the feel of the old Big East. I'd bet money that neither Texas or Oklahoma have any interest in expansion... especially when AAC members are the only options. This feels more like a love by the other schools to have Texas, OU and OSU reaffirm their commitment.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/19/big-12-expansion-news-candidates-bob-bowlsby

The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane. If the league does add four schools, there’s really no standout candidate for that fourth slot. (Houston has the best program and television market of available schools, but there’s still some hesitancy within the state of Texas to allow the Cougars to use the Big 12 to potentially leap over current members).

Thamel seemed bearish on Houston getting in, which is shocking considering the quality of some of the other tier II schools its grouped with (USF/Tulane/Colorado St) as well as UConn. This conference is toast if there is a push to 16 team leagues or the Big 12 can get a defection or two from another conference, which sounds like it is legally impossible given the grants being signed by schools.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am

Clay Travis from Fox Sports described this potential expansion process as basically a reverse auction. I haven't read much about all this, but he explained that for every school the B12 adds, the league is due $25mm/school from tv partners. The way in which this becomes a reverse auction, is that the B12 will take the schools that agree to accept the smallest piece of that amount, so if Memphis says well come in for $5mm, the additional $20mm is redistributed to the original member schools.

So according to him, the B12 is essentially selling off its spots in this process. Idk if this is a correct interpretation of the process, just what he said on his podcast.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 am

ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/19/big-12-expansion-news-candidates-bob-bowlsby

The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane. If the league does add four schools, there’s really no standout candidate for that fourth slot. (Houston has the best program and television market of available schools, but there’s still some hesitancy within the state of Texas to allow the Cougars to use the Big 12 to potentially leap over current members).

Thamel seemed bearish on Houston getting in, which is shocking considering the quality of some of the other tier II schools its grouped with (USF/Tulane/Colorado St) as well as UConn. This conference is toast if there is a push to 16 team leagues or the Big 12 can get a defection or two from another conference, which sounds like it is legally impossible given the grants being signed by schools.

Thamel tends to be a good read for the business-side of sports. However, the reason why I'd be surprised by Houston's non-inclusion is that (a) they have history in the SWC, (b) they are a decently competitive program and (c) they would help delivery the area that the SEC cornered when it stole TAMU.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium