Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 pm

UNC and NCS may actually be leaving the ACC
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/north-caro ... 55278.html
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:26 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:SEC is already in Florida and South Carolina. If ESPN shrinks and that is the way they are headed, each conference will get less and I agree the SEC and B1G will take less of a haircut than the ACC. Big 12 has a small footprint and a lot more problems than the ACC. Remember, hoops is big in the ACC and many fans will buy the cable package to get ACC hoops.

Absolutely no doubt that any team that continues to shit the bed could easily find themselves in trouble of losing equal revenue sharing. BC has the Boston market and a lousy BC sports program is hurting the entire ACC. It's the largest TV market and BC needs to be at the top of the conference for the ACC to fully capitalize on that market. Quality still fucking matters!

You're still thinking about this from the standpoint of the traditional cable model. The "markets" won't matter when the cable tier subscriber model goes away. The ala carte or individual online subscription model that will take its place means the ONLY thing that will matter is how big/passionate your fanbase is since it'll be individual fans deciding whether to subscribe to their respective conference networks.

When the ACC Network is forced into the ala carte mode, they won't have the fanbases to support it and it'll cease to be financially viable for ESPN (which is rapidly becoming an albatross in the Disney portfolio). At that point, the schools with enough juice to be attractive additions to either the B1G/SEC Networks (FSU, Clemson, maybe Louisville) will start looking for a way out, which would trigger the end of the ACC as we know it.

You can't have ESPN collapsing and a la carte sports in the same model. Without ESPN, there is no one to cover most of the sports covered today.

ESPN will still exist, the exorbitant rights fees that we've seen doled out in recent years won't. This isn't just a college sports problem either. The NFL and the NBA will both be taking reduced deals or ESPN will simply pass on bidding for them next time around.

The end game down the road is that the pro leagues and the conferences within the NCAA end up distributing the games themselves primarily via streaming apps, though the SEC & B1G Networks will continue to exist in a reduced state because, again, their schools will still demand that 24/7 content.

The aforementioned collapsing of ESPN... http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-e ... 1794664091
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 am

Two shocking developments: (1) Ed Werder gets canned; and (2) someone reads Deadspin.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 am

if you thought espn's hockey coverage was terrible before, I can only imagine it now
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:if you thought espn's hockey coverage was terrible before, I can only imagine it now

They don't cover NHL at all now so I dont know how it can get worse. ESPN is unwatchable; 99% NBA coverage.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:if you thought espn's hockey coverage was terrible before, I can only imagine it now

They don't cover NHL at all now so I dont know how it can get worse. ESPN is unwatchable; 99% NBA coverage.

i was seated next to a guy at the airport sunday night while one of the unwatchable nba playoff games was on (i think it was clippers/jazz) and he started talking about the playoff and if i had any interest. i told him it is a well known fact that i didn't like sports but, since it is crooked, that i would never bet on an nba game and therefore has super-no-interest in it.

he gabbed on to tell me that he was a producer or something at espn and he was interested in the nba because of what games espn might get to carry. he then rallied on about how turner had the option for most the games that people would want to watch and espn was left with the rest. i told him that was interesting and asked whether it was as bad at espn as it sounded... both for the screw job that they received on the nba playoffs and just in general. he said it was worse and then moseyed along like george michael bluth

fuck them in the earhole... i hope they choke on the model they created and then get shoved up chris berman and dick vitale's asses in consecutive thrusts
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Not terribly stunned by any of these. Here are those thus far in order of consequence. Most have been Bloggers (which mean kneecaps to navel could have an axe heading for her particularly long neck).
Ed Werner
Danny Kanell
Brett McMurphy
Jim Bowden
Jeremy Crabtree
Dana O'Neill
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:23 pm

as mo'j said - i'm surprised we haven't seen a certain giraffe on the list yet. my guess, no one follows her on twitter and her sob story has not been noticed.

no offense to any bloggers out there that this sentiment may upset
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm a little surprised that none of the 800 people that do baseball tonight other than Bowden got the axe.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

oh agreed but burnside / lebrun every so often would put out decent pieces.

I can't remember the last time i watched anything on espn that wasn't live programming. also like tre, nba doesn't do it for me. i tried to flip during intermission of the bruins / sens game sunday and it was Houston constantly fouling some player who couldn't shoot free throws, riveting.

this is the same organization that offered skip bayless $4 million 12 months ago and continues to pay screaming a smith over $3 million
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm a little surprised that none of the 800 people that do baseball tonight other than Bowden got the axe.

Down goes Jayson Stark!
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm a little surprised that none of the 800 people that do baseball tonight other than Bowden got the axe.

Down goes Jayson Stark!

Fingers crossed for that fucking pissant homer Olney
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Down goes Jayson Stark!

My top 3: Wilbon, S.A. Smith, Paul Finebaum.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Down goes Jayson Stark!

My top 3: Wilbon, S.A. Smith, Paul Finebaum.

I would listen to all three of those on continuous loop for 12 hours if they would shit can Olney.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Good riddance, Danny Kanell. He did color for the ALS Awareness game at Fenway on Saturday and it made my ears bleed listening to him tell stories about playing high school baseball against A-Rod.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:20 pm

ESPN makes $8 a month from every cable and satellite subscriber. Yet, they still manged to screw it up.

I no longer have cable. I can watch live sports off Kodi. I'd be fine paying for cable again, but I'm not fine with paying for channels I never watch. I would assume this spiral continues until they finally offer everything a la carte or on-demand over the internet.

Will be interesting to see if the ACC goes through with their channel idea now.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Trent Dilfer handed his walking papers. I actually liked him. Thought he was informative and self-deprecating... both of which are unusual in a former player. Jay Crawford was also FINALLY fired. They spent 14 years trying to create shows for him... each was worse than the previous. At some point, you'd think they'd wise-up and realize the problem was him.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:ESPN makes $8 a month from every cable and satellite subscriber. Yet, they still manged to screw it up.

I no longer have cable. I can watch live sports off Kodi. I'd be fine paying for cable again, but I'm not fine with paying for channels I never watch. I would assume this spiral continues until they finally offer everything a la carte or on-demand over the internet.

Will be interesting to see if the ACC goes through with their channel idea now.

I remember reading a WSJ article about 13 years ago about the imminent coming of a la carte cable. I would love it but I am not holding my breath. Too many special interest know their channels would cease to exist.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:51 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:I remember reading a WSJ article about 13 years ago about the imminent coming of a la carte cable. I would love it but I am not holding my breath. Too many special interest know their channels would cease to exist.

The WSJ also thought invading Iraq was a great idea.

This reminds me of the music business. Big Music fought digital, but eventually lost. Now, there's not a lot of money in selling songs. They are seen as marketing expenses for the live shows and related media sales. In time, the same thing will happen with cable. Young people are the ones driving the change. Geezers will stick with the cable model, just as they were the last to stop buying albums and CD's. The actuarial tables will take care of the rest.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Much different product with much different target audiences. As long as NCIS derivatives are the number one show on TV, its going to take a while.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Seriously, Len Elmore over Buster Olney? C'Mon ESPN get yer shit together.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
This reminds me of the music business. Big Music fought digital, but eventually lost. Now, there's not a lot of money in selling songs. They are seen as marketing expenses for the live shows and related media sales.

This is changing. The industry has gotten its shit together. YouTube will be the last domino to fall.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
This reminds me of the music business. Big Music fought digital, but eventually lost. Now, there's not a lot of money in selling songs. They are seen as marketing expenses for the live shows and related media sales.

This is changing. The industry has gotten its shit together. YouTube will be the last domino to fall.

Yes, fun with numbers. Two decades of steady decline and one year of no decline means "Best year in decades!"
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Much different product with much different target audiences. As long as NCIS derivatives are the number one show on TV, its going to take a while.

That's a different animal than ESPN. Those network shows are financed with ad dollars. ESPN gets 90% of its revenue from cable fees. They are different business models. The former can stagger on as long as Boomers can reach the remote. The latter has a tougher problem.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:38 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Much different product with much different target audiences. As long as NCIS derivatives are the number one show on TV, its going to take a while.

That's a different animal than ESPN. Those network shows are financed with ad dollars. ESPN gets 90% of its revenue from cable fees. They are different business models. The former can stagger on as long as Boomers can reach the remote. The latter has a tougher problem.

It's like 60%, but point taken. ESPN is not commercial free.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:

I recall reading somewhere that a sizable chunk of their ad revenue is from other Disney companies, but I may be misremembering. Even so, allow cable subscribers to drop ESPN and they file for bankruptcy the following business day. It's even worse for other cable properties. The cable news channels would all go away in an unbundled world. That's why they are fighting it tooth and nail.

A year or so ago I dropped cable. My son hooked me up with Kodi on an Amazon Fire. It was an easy transition and it will only get easier. That means the cord cutting will accelerate. Bundled service models always suffer from a free rider problem. Cable is just another example. But, people like their TV and their sports so it is not going away. It will just be different.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:

I recall reading somewhere that a sizable chunk of their ad revenue is from other Disney companies, but I may be misremembering. Even so, allow cable subscribers to drop ESPN and they file for bankruptcy the following business day. It's even worse for other cable properties. The cable news channels would all go away in an unbundled world. That's why they are fighting it tooth and nail.

A year or so ago I dropped cable. My son hooked me up with Kodi on an Amazon Fire. It was an easy transition and it will only get easier. That means the cord cutting will accelerate. Bundled service models always suffer from a free rider problem. Cable is just another example. But, people like their TV and their sports so it is not going away. It will just be different.

The above chart includes ESPN the mag and ESPN.com ad revenue, but is limited to ESPN.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm

And... let's point out that the "traditional" broadcast networks essentially are on the same pricing model as ESPN because of bundling. As pretty much everyone knows... these networks get exorbitant prices for their crappy "family" of cable networks by tying the continued broadcasting of the traditional station.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm

My top 3: Len Elmore, jayson stark, Andy Katz
Last edited by hansen on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Some notable additions to the list:
Andy Katz
Jim Caple
Britt McHenry
Dallas Braden
Raul Ibanez
Doug Glanville
Dr. Jerry Punch
Roger Cossack
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium