It's Bates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: It's Bates

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:14 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The quote is 100% accurate and he made that statement at a private fundraising event at a Country Club hosted by a Trustee. It sounded like a stump speech and his actions support that quote. He also stated that because we lose money on athletics we will never have a D1 lacrosse team. Also, Bill said that a practice hockey rink is out of the question.

No he didn't.

no, no he didn't. but you could imagine what it'd be like if he did, right...?

Yes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Call him yourself and ask him. He usually picks up the phone directly after 5:30.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Call him yourself and ask him. He usually picks up the phone directly after 5:30.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 pm

for those that don't know, he offers an 800 number.

(800) 938-2691
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:53 pm

Every time this thread gets bumped, I pray that it means Bates has been fired.

Cue the Philly Intern telling us how we could do much worse than Bates and we very much are what we are right now. :roll:
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:10 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Every time this thread gets bumped, I pray that it means Bates has been fired.

this smacks of hansen clicking on my linked files because 1 out of every 100 is a clam show instead of a meatbomb
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:31 am

i assume this is just gumshoes peddling nonsense but has anyone else heard anything about this?

Is Bates a lame duck AD at BC?
Posted by Mark Blaudschun | Jul 30, 2016 | A Jersey Guy, The Heights | 0

(Musings about the comings and goings at Boston College, AKA The Heights)

The elephant in the room at Boston College is the status of Athletic Director Brad Bates. For better or worse–mostly worse for the past year–Bates is the guy in charge of the ship for BC athletics.

Word has it that Bates, in the final year of his contract, has been told that searching for another job would not be frowned upon by the BC administration.

Word also has it that Bates is a contender for the current opening at the University of Missouri, an opening which could be filled by the end of the summer.

Bates is the guy that hired football coach Steve Addazio and men’s basketball coach Jim Christian.

Bates has endured an athletic calendar year in which neither team won an Atlantic Coast Conference game–an embarrassing 0-26 run in which the football clock will resume in Dublin, Ireland on Sept. 3 against Georgia Tech.

He is the guy who has had to serve as the buffer between a shrinking fan base and an administration headed by Father William Leahy, where athletic facilities in the revenue-producing sports are woefully inadequate.

When Bates arrived at The Heights in 2012, his pedigree seemed impressive enough. Michigan education, stops at Vanderbilt and Miami (Ohio) where he was developing into the prototype new age AD, with fund raising and marketing as essential ingredients.

Bates came to a BC campus in which football and basketball were headed in the wrong direction in terms of W’s and L’s. He fired football coach Frank Spaziani and hired Addazio.

He then took a hard look at the basketball program under Coach Steve Donahue and made a decision to give Donahue one more season to turn the program around. He told Donahue that he had another season left on a Thursday and then a few days later he told him that he didn’t.

Word has it that the decision came from the President’s office.

It didn’t make sense then. It doesn’t make sense now. It made even less sense when the Eagles squandered a legitimate chance to hire Harvard’s Tommy Amaker.

Bates hired Christian, who has not been able to overcome all of the hurdles with administration and facilities that all BC coaches must endure.

After the Donahue firing fiasco, something in Bates changed. He was still personable and affable and optimistic. But he also seemed distant to many of the people who worked with him. He did his job…but…

And then in the past few months, the buzz started to get louder. Bates will begin the fifth year of his contract, but there was no talk of a renewal.

Missouri is hardly the ideal job. Not only are the Tigers missing an AD, they must also hire a new President and Chancellor.

How many ADs would feel comfortable without knowing who their superiors might be?
The tension from a simmering campus-wide situation involving racial discrimination is still bubbling. To many, perhaps including Bates, the Missouri job is regarded as a “No Fly” zone. And why would you go to place where the leadership is uncertain?

Other names for the Missouri job have included ADs at East Carolina, Northern Illinois, and SMU.

The best case scenario is that when Missouri gets the right people in place it will be a great job in a great (SEC) conference with lots of positives.

But the time frame on that is uncertain. And while that is happening, BC and Brad Bates are involved in a relationship which seems tenuous. He is totally committed to BC.

Whether that commitment is returned remains uncertain at best.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 am

The coaching hires aren't even why I think Bates is a clown.

They need someone who will push the envelope and go to battle with Boston/Newton
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:27 am

it's an educated guess piece. bates had a 5 year contract that ends next year and has not had any renewals during the 4 years of his tenure. i don't see last year getting anyone clamoring to extend it (unless gdf had a say in the matter).

not to go all intern-cut-and-paste on this, but does anyone think the school would replace buttcut with anyone that's worth a shit or will it just be more of the aww shucks same?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The coaching hires aren't even why I think Bates is a clown.

They need someone who will push the envelope and go to battle with Boston/Newton

I hope this is true. I hope Bates isn't getting extended because he hasn't rocked the boat enough. I hope the push is for someone with even more fight in them.

But I fear that this is just based on not getting results with the status quo budget, facilities and political limitations...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:03 am

I thought the Jersey Guy site was taken down? Here's my comments to Gumshoe's "Word has it..." info.

Word has it that Bates, in the final year of his contract, TRUE
has been told that searching for another job would not be frowned upon by the BC administration. DOUBTFUL... I DON'T THINK THEY WILL RENEW HIS CONTRACT, BUT I DOUBT THEY TOLD HIM THAT

Word also has it that Bates is a contender for the current opening at the University of Missouri, an opening which could be filled by the end of the summer. DOUBTFUL... NO MATTER HOW BAD IT IS THERE, YOU DON'T HIRE A BONAFIDE FAILURE... WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH A FEEL-GOOD CANDIDATE LIKE A FORMER ALUM/PLAYER

Bates is the guy that hired football coach Steve Addazio and men’s basketball coach Jim Christian. TRUE

Bates has endured an athletic calendar year in which neither team won an Atlantic Coast Conference game–an embarrassing 0-26 run in which the football clock will resume in Dublin, Ireland on Sept. 3 against Georgia Tech. TRUE

He is the guy who has had to serve as the buffer between a shrinking fan base and an administration headed by Father William Leahy, where athletic facilities in the revenue-producing sports are woefully inadequate. TRUE... THOUGH SOME OF THIS SENTENCE IS THE RESULTS OF HIS OWN INADEQUACIES AND FAILING TO UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEMS/CHALLENGES AT BC

When Bates arrived at The Heights in 2012, his pedigree seemed impressive enough. Michigan education, stops at Vanderbilt and Miami (Ohio) where he was developing into the prototype new age AD, with fund raising and marketing as essential ingredients. FALSE... AS THIS VERY THREAD PROVES (THANKS FOR FIXING THE SEARCH FUNCTION), NO ONE THOUGHT CLOWNSHOES WAS A GOOD HIRE

Bates came to a BC campus in which football and basketball were headed in the wrong direction in terms of W’s and L’s. He fired football coach Frank Spaziani and hired Addazio. TRUE

He then took a hard look at the basketball program under Coach Steve Donahue and made a decision to give Donahue one more season to turn the program around. He told Donahue that he had another season left on a Thursday and then a few days later he told him that he didn’t. DOUBTFUL... PROBABLY FALSE... WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF HE GAVE DON A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY

Word has it that the decision came from the President’s office. FALSE... ZERO CHANCE LEAHY OR ANYONE IN THE UPPER ADMINISTRATION CARED ENOUGH ABOUT MENS HOOPS TO FORCE A FIRE... ESPECIALLY, SINCE THEY DIDN'T HAVE A CANDIDATE THEY WERE PUSHING AS A REPLACEMENT

It didn’t make sense then. It doesn’t make sense now. It made even less sense when the Eagles squandered a legitimate chance to hire Harvard’s Tommy Amaker. FALSE/TRUE... FALSE IN THAT DON WAS CLEARLY NOT THE ANSWER... TRUE IN THAT THE SEARCH WAS A SHITSHOW

Bates hired Christian, who has not been able to overcome all of the hurdles with administration and facilities that all BC coaches must endure. TRUE... BUT IT WAS CLEAR FROM THE MOMENT OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT JIMMY MAC WOULD NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL HERE

After the Donahue firing fiasco, something in Bates changed. He was still personable and affable and optimistic. But he also seemed distant to many of the people who worked with him. FALSE... DON FIRING WASN'T A FIASCO... JIMMY MAC'S HIRING WAS THE FIASCO

He did his job…but… PERHAPS THE MOST FALSE STATEMENT EVER

And then in the past few months, the buzz started to get louder. Bates will begin the fifth year of his contract, but there was no talk of a renewal. PROBABLY TRUE
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:. FALSE... ZERO CHANCE LEAHY OR ANYONE IN THE UPPER ADMINISTRATION CARED ENOUGH ABOUT MENS HOOPS TO FORCE A FIRE... ESPECIALLY, SINCE THEY DIDN'T HAVE A CANDIDATE THEY WERE PUSHING AS A REPLACEMENT

i'll challenge this statement as potentially true. if the upper admin heard enough "we need a new basketball coach before i can donate in good conscience" then they would push for a removal of one muppet to replace him with a different muppet
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:20 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:it's an educated guess piece. bates had a 5 year contract that ends next year and has not had any renewals during the 4 years of his tenure. i don't see last year getting anyone clamoring to extend it (unless gdf had a say in the matter).

not to go all intern-cut-and-paste on this, but does anyone think the school would replace buttcut with anyone that's worth a shit or will it just be more of the aww shucks same?

Bates put himself in the crosshairs more for his lack of fund-raising than his coaches sucking ass. That said, often the two go hand-in-hand. His true failure is talking about improving facilities but not having the wherewithal to deliver the money necessary. GDF with all his considerable faults had a few donors on which he could call upon for a check.

As for his replacement, there is a strong likelihood that BC will do what they always do under Leahy... scour the country to incredibly find someone even worse.
Two possible exceptions...
(1) Since their focus will be on fundraising, I think an alum (especially a former athlete) will play strongly. Generally, we could do a lot worse than getting a BC guy in that role.
(2) Since the BOT have been publicly embarassed and is taking on a more active role in the oversight of athletics (i.e. removing it from exclusive authority of the President), there is a puncher's chance they wind up hiring someone who can hire a coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:33 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:. FALSE... ZERO CHANCE LEAHY OR ANYONE IN THE UPPER ADMINISTRATION CARED ENOUGH ABOUT MENS HOOPS TO FORCE A FIRE... ESPECIALLY, SINCE THEY DIDN'T HAVE A CANDIDATE THEY WERE PUSHING AS A REPLACEMENT

i'll challenge this statement as potentially true. if the upper admin heard enough "we need a new basketball coach before i can donate in good conscience" then they would push for a removal of one muppet to replace him with a different muppet

But... there is no one who cares enough about BB to put it as a contingency to their donation. Further, in the hypothetical that such a person existed, there is no chance that they would orchestrate the Don's removal without strongly backing another candidate (to whom the upper admins would similarly feel obligated to hire). For me, the hiring of Christian shows that Bates was in sole control of the process all the way through. If Amaker, Calhoun, Wright, Cooley, O'Shea, Hopkins were hired, I'd believe there was an influential alumni group pulling the strings. Just like Daziani, Jimmy Mac is exactly the type of coach Bates is comfortable with.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:36 am

It would make my summer if Bates were to leave for Mizzou.

We can't get worse than Master Bates can we?
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 am

I know this will get laughed at, but just hire Doug Flutie as AD. He'll be able to raise money, he gets BC, and probably has a decent understanding of how TV drives things. Coughlin would also be a good choice for the same reasons.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Yes, they will replace Bates with another unqualified person. Declining ticket sales are what does every AD in.

I highly doubt the BOT is taking control of athletics from Leahy or that they will have any increased involvement in who replaces Bates, if that happens.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I know this will get laughed at, but just hire Doug Flutie as AD. He'll be able to raise money, he gets BC, and probably has a decent understanding of how TV drives things. Coughlin would also be a good choice for the same reasons.

I wouldn't laugh at it but certainly someone who knows BC, understands the market BC plays in, has a good understanding of TV/Radio/Cable/Communications and is a business person. There are lots of BC alums who are in the sports management and ADs around the country. I would be looking at someone who might be a former CEO who may have athletic routes with BC and could come in over a 4-6 year period, raise the $$ needed to upgrade facilities, OOC schedules and work to rebrand the athletic program. I'm thinking a Jack Welch type who has BC connections......say, a Mike White who is the retired former CEO of Direct TV or someone like that. But with the current group leading the university, it will be the same old same old.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:16 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I know this will get laughed at, but just hire Doug Flutie as AD. He'll be able to raise money, he gets BC, and probably has a decent understanding of how TV drives things. Coughlin would also be a good choice for the same reasons.

I wouldn't laugh at it but certainly someone who knows BC, understands the market BC plays in, has a good understanding of TV/Radio/Cable/Communications and is a business person. There are lots of BC alums who are in the sports management and ADs around the country. I would be looking at someone who might be a former CEO who may have athletic routes with BC and could come in over a 4-6 year period, raise the $$ needed to upgrade facilities, OOC schedules and work to rebrand the athletic program. I'm thinking a Jack Welch type who has BC connections......say, a Mike White who is the retired former CEO of Direct TV or someone like that. But with the current group leading the university, it will be the same old same old.

I'd do the job for 1/4 of what they're paying Bates, and can guarantee I couldn't have done any worse than he has.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:31 pm

I doubt Bates is the source for Blauds. Maybe someone who doesn't like Bates and wants to be AD and who talks to Blauds (Barry Gallup? who knows). It also wouldn't surprise me if Bates wants the Mizzou job. More money. Low bar on rebuild. Back in the midwest.

If/when Bates leaves BC will hire one of the numerous BC grads or GDF minions who are currently running other Athletic Departments. They need someone who can raise money from Day 1.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Bring back the D1 AD of the year who actually sold out the stadium on a season ticket basis and is a former player: CHET GLADCHUK!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Bring back the D1 AD of the year who actually sold out the stadium on a season ticket basis and is a former player: CHET GLADCHUK!

Chet's post BC run has been good, but he royally pissed off many donors, he hired Henning and let the hockey team blow up and screwed up the JOB situation twice (not firing him early and then letting the admission office issue get out).
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:03 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Bring back the D1 AD of the year who actually sold out the stadium on a season ticket basis and is a former player: CHET GLADCHUK!

Chet's post BC run has been good, but he royally pissed off many donors, he hired Henning and let the hockey team blow up and screwed up the JOB situation twice (not firing him early and then letting the admission office issue get out).

Henning was entirely on Chet but didn't the hockey people pretty much force him to hire Cedorchuk (what a buffoon that guy was)?
edit - He also hired York.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:54 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Henning was entirely on Chet but didn't the hockey people pretty much force him to hire Cedorchuk (what a buffoon that guy was)?
edit - He also hired York.

he also was in place for the football "gambling scandal"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 pm

It's tough to pick good coaches at BC given the resources an AD has to work with. It's difficult to find a successful head coach other than from the MAC or the AAC which is no guarantee of success in a P5 program and that leaves the AD trying to find the right assistant coach.

Gladchuk made mistakes based on his inexperience. He clashed with Leahy over facilities, but he would now be a great hire given his experience and BC's huge facilities needs and empty arenas. We need BC people running BC including a President, AD and BOT chairman. The current crew is just not passionate about BC sports.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: Gladchuk made mistakes based on his inexperience. He clashed with Leahy over facilities.

No he didn't.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:19 am

Gladchuck and Leahy did clash over facilities and the importance of athletics. Gladchuk was a builder, but Leahy opposed spending any money on athlete buildings. The only building to go up under Leahy is the Yawkey Center.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:59 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Gladchuck and Leahy did clash over facilities and the importance of athletics. Gladchuk was a builder, but Leahy opposed spending any money on athlete buildings. The only building to go up under Leahy is the Yawkey Center.

They were both at BC together for less than a year. What facilities did they clash over?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:13 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Gladchuck and Leahy did clash over facilities and the importance of athletics. Gladchuk was a builder, but Leahy opposed spending any money on athlete buildings. The only building to go up under Leahy is the Yawkey Center.

They were both at BC together for less than a year. What facilities did they clash over?

probably alumni stadium that had just been renovated less than a year earlier
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Gladchuk was set to move forward with the new football building, much larger than the Yawkey Center, phase 2 renovations of Alumni Stadium. Those projects were already in the planning stages and Leahy wanted no part of them. There were other projects that Gladchuk wanted to do, but Leahy had a much different view point on athletics.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium