It's Bates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: It's Bates

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Gladchuk was set to move forward with the new football building, much larger than the Yawkey Center, phase 2 renovations of Alumni Stadium. Those projects were already in the planning stages and Leahy wanted no part of them. There were other projects that Gladchuk wanted to do, but Leahy had a much different view point on athletics.

but chet didn't think of any of these things before monan left. so, he thought he would just get all that stuff built in a year or so without any permits or approvals from the local community.

so, basically, chet was bates. the only difference is that chet was a boys regular to bates' buttcut. that fucker, i knew there was something i didn't like about him!!!!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Gladchuk was set to move forward with the new football building, much larger than the Yawkey Center, phase 2 renovations of Alumni Stadium. Those projects were already in the planning stages and Leahy wanted no part of them. There were other projects that Gladchuk wanted to do, but Leahy had a much different view point on athletics.

No he didn't.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:03 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so, basically, chet was bates. the only difference is that chet was a boys regular to bates' buttcut.

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:11 pm

This revisionist history on Chet is amusing. As others have pointed out, facilities were not an issue in the ''90s. No one had an indoor practice facility and the new Alumni was around for all of two years before Chet was fired. Chet was extremely unpopular. Almost as unpopular as GDF was towards the end. Henning was hated in a Spaz-like level and many of the Whale Pants hated Chet and stopped giving.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Chet was very well liked by the donors. He was hated by the free loading JOB friends. History proved that Chet was right about JOB. His success at Houston and Navy and the national awards and recognition by his peers clearly prove that Leahy made a huge mistake getting rid of Chet. Leahy will be on his 4th AD in 20 years if he lets BB go. The jury is in, Chet Gladchuk is a nationally respected AD and BC athletics is a national joke!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:06 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Chet was very well liked by the donors. He was hated by the free loading JOB friends. History proved that Chet was right about JOB. His success at Houston and Navy and the national awards and recognition by his peers clearly prove that Leahy made a huge mistake getting rid of Chet. Leahy will be on his 4th AD in 20 years if he lets BB go. The jury is in, Chet Gladchuk is a nationally respected AD and BC athletics is a national joke!

I like Chet, but the man deserved to be fired. He bungled a couple of kids betting on the World Series into a historic gambling "scandal" that is still referred to today. He also hired Henning and Cedorchuck. While he did hire Coughlin and York, he did so only after bungling the hires of Jimmy Laycock and Mike Millbury... at which time Monan reached out to alums to facilitate both hires.

Corners lack of understanding of the time before GDF is comical.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:... He bungled a couple of kids betting on the World Series into a historic gambling "scandal" that is still referred to today...

in fairness, two or three 2nd/3rd stringer on the football team bet on the cuse to beat bc. i see that as a problem
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:20 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I doubt Bates is the source for Blauds. Maybe someone who doesn't like Bates and wants to be AD and who talks to Blauds (Barry Gallup? who knows).

I would bet my house that Gallup is Blauds' source for every BC column Blauds writes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:... He bungled a couple of kids betting on the World Series into a historic gambling "scandal" that is still referred to today...

in fairness, two or three 2nd/3rd stringer on the football team bet on the cuse to beat bc. i see that as a problem

Thought it was the Pitt Halloween game (I lost $ on that game :x , but I was not a student)? The only player that, I remember, more-or-less confirmed to have bet against BC was the injured RB from Florida.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:26 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I doubt Bates is the source for Blauds. Maybe someone who doesn't like Bates and wants to be AD and who talks to Blauds (Barry Gallup? who knows).

I would bet my house that Gallup is Blauds' source for every BC column Blauds writes.

I would bet my house that a half empty bottle of gin is Blauds' source for every BC column Blauds writes.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 am

Random thoughts from all over the place:

We should maybe have a separate conversation on what is expected out of a BC AD.

The main goal of an AD in todays P5 landscape is raising the dough. However a large part of me, says in regard to BC, who gives a crap. Let's say Bates raises "X" amount of money. A new AD comes in and in year one raises "x" + 10 million. Where does that extra 10 million go. I am far from certain that any of that money will be reallocated into athletic department needs. The consensus on this board is that Leahy hates, or at best is indifferent about sports. If that is true, why does anyone think he is going to take that 10 million and invest it in facilities, coaching budgets, recruiting budgets...anything that BC sorely needs.

Again, if we assume that Leahy is an obstacle to BC athletics, is it even possible for an AD to succeed at BC. A new AD could have brilliant ideas, great contacts..the whole bit, but if he is stonewalled by the higher ups, what can get accomplished.

BC needs to let the athletic department run athletics. Until that happens, we will not know who is pulling the strings and it will be tough to assess the job performance of a BC AD.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:03 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Thought it was the Pitt Halloween game (I lost $ on that game :x , but I was not a student)? The only player that, I remember, more-or-less confirmed to have bet against BC was the injured RB from Florida.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/07/sport ... -bets.html

that liberal new york rag {l Wrote}:Two Boston College football players bet against their team when the Eagles met Syracuse on Oct. 26, a local law enforcement official said today...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/07/sport ... -bets.html

that liberal new york rag {l Wrote}:Two Boston College football players bet against their team when the Eagles met Syracuse on Oct. 26, a local law enforcement official said today...

My recollection is that the two players who bet against BC were... Jamall Anderson and Marcus Bembry.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:45 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:The main goal of an AD in todays P5 landscape is raising the dough. However a large part of me, says in regard to BC, who gives a crap. Let's say Bates raises "X" amount of money. A new AD comes in and in year one raises "x" + 10 million. Where does that extra 10 million go. I am far from certain that any of that money will be reallocated into athletic department needs. The consensus on this board is that Leahy hates, or at best is indifferent about sports. If that is true, why does anyone think he is going to take that 10 million and invest it in facilities, coaching budgets, recruiting budgets...anything that BC sorely needs.

Again, if we assume that Leahy is an obstacle to BC athletics, is it even possible for an AD to succeed at BC. A new AD could have brilliant ideas, great contacts..the whole bit, but if he is stonewalled by the higher ups, what can get accomplished.

The athletic department raises money for the school. However, a donor can designate where the money should be used. For instance, a donor can donate to the General Fund (which goes to the University to defray expenses). A donor can also earmark a donation to go to a specifc fund, scholarship or campaign... in which the monies are required to be used accordingly. Accordingly, every dollar donated to the Flynn Fund is used by the Athletic Department. Further, to the extent marineagle gave money to build a baseball stadium, the gift was likely contingent upon actually building the stadium and would have to be returned if the project didn't go forward (to that point, I assume marin likely only PLEDGED the money... meaning that nothing leaves his account until a shovel hits the ground).

As for institutional support... there is none from Leahy. However, as much as I don't like him, Leahy also isn't putting obstacles in the Athletic Department's way. If the Athletic Department wants to build an indoor facility, all they really need from Leahy is overall buy-in on the concept (and giving space for the build) and the go-ahead to raise funds to build it. Nothing the Athletic Department wants will come at the University. So, the Athletic Director is on his/her own to find the necessary funds and make sure that all the internal beuracracy is followed. For instance, over a year ago, the Athletic Department was given the OK to seek funds to build an indoor facility. The ONLY way it will happen is if the AD is able to get donations to cover the full cost.

Bottom line... the Athletic Director's ability to raise money is a huge part of the job at BC. That job is facilitated by the hiring of good coached. In case of Bates... he has failed in both aspects.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Leahy has not given free rein to athletic fundraising. Most big money donors BB is not allowed to contact. The money to build the baseball complex was actually raised by GDF, but still not advanced by Leahy. The hold up on a lot of facilities is Leahy's insistence that the operating cost must be at least substantially reduced. Practice facilities cost money to maintain and just because BB raises the funds to build it, the operating cost go against his budget. For example, Leahy has stated that BC will never build a practice hockey rink because of the operating cost. He has also stated that investing money into athletic facilities is not worth the expense.

If Leahy decides to give control to BB we would have or shortly will hear about an athletic fundraiser. That would be a change of direction by Leahy and a very positive development.

I never said Gladchuk did not make mistakes, but at this stage of his career he is well experienced and nationally respected. He knows BC very well and as a former player he has the passion.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Your entire post is wrong in pretty much every way.

I know when the green light was given to raise funds for Indoor Practice Facility because I was asked to donate to it in April 2015.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:49 pm

IPF is a small item in terms of cost to build and to operate. I'm talking about a major 300 - 400 million campaign to both build practice facilities and to endow scholarships. What you are talking about is nickels and dimes. ND had their first IPF back in the 80's. Under Leahy only the Yawkey Center has been actually built. That is 20 years and just one building for athletics. Trying to blame a lack of donors is burying your head in the sand. Leahy is the reason why our facilities are far behind our competition and he has a 20 year record to prove it.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:43 am

Just stop.

There is enough to hate about Leahy without making shit up.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:27 am

Facts are facts, you just choose to ignore them. Stop rationalizing the fact that BC does not have the facilities needed to compete in the ACC. If Leahy wanted these facilities they would already have been built. Twenty years is a long track record of doing nothing.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 am

Facts are facts, you just don't know them.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:18 pm

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:04 pm

That is a huge problem at BC. We need BC grads running BC!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That is a huge problem at BC. We need BC grads running BC!

You want quidditch nerds who don't give a shit about sports running the department?
This is not a good strategy if you want to get your corners filled in.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Jack McCluskey should revisit this story and give us an update on how Bates is doing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/colleges/post/_/id/3487/ad-brad-bates-wants-to-build-bc
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Great find!

So what happened, Leahy had a different vision, surprise, surprise!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:24 am

starting with brad bates' first full year, bc is 31-121 in the acc in football, m bball & nags h00ps

all 3 coaches have received extensions under bates
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:39 am

10 days after Brad Bates' contract expires, 9 days after the new AD is hired....

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:Coach Addazio, may I come in?

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:My office is always for you, welcome to BC!

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:Thank you.

New AD closes the door, sits down in front of Addazio, looks him square in the eye, smiling.

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:Coach, as you know, I sent out an email to all of my coaches letting them know that over the next few days I would be having a one-on-one with each of them and how I expect to be running our program. At the time of that email, I wasn't yet prepared to speak to each of my coaches. After spending almost 16 hours a day looking at digital recordings of the past 4 football seasons and the past 3 men's basketball seasons, I am not prepared to have my one-on-one with you and Coach Christian.

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:Very good, looking forward to working with you and learning about your management style.

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:Coach, I do not like to micro-manage and I won't be micro-managing you. I don't expect you and I to have very many conversations over the next three years. To be perfectly honest, I don't expect that you and I will speak one word to one another over the next three years.

Addazio's smile fades into a complete blank expression, a true emotionless poker face.

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:I just got done having a very frustrating meeting with the Board of Trusties. The first thing they said to me was that I can't fire any coaches under contract. The Board of Trusties' policy for my entire tenure here as the AD will be that under no circumstances are we paying any coach who no longer coaches here one thin dime. That is paramount, the prime directive, more important than winning. So, since we are forced to pay you, you will be the head football coach for the next three years.

Beads of sweat forming on the top of Addazio's head...

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:I'm sorry I don't understand what you are trying to...

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:I am not going to shun you. If you ask me a direct question about policy or procedure, I will happily answer it. And I will get back to you very quickly. I am very prompt and professional. We do have to work together as we are both contracted to do so. But after I leave your office today, I don't expect that I will be re-entering it until the day I come escorted with security, some empty boxes, to stand here and watch you pack.

Beads of sweat now evaporating with the heat of anger upon his bald head....

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:I'm not going to like you am I?

The new AD, refusing even to dignify that question, returning to his monologue....

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:The only real power and authority that I have over existing coaches who have existing contracts, is the power NOT to offer any more contract extensions. Basically, my power is the power NOT to act. And the Board of Trusties has assured me that they will never-ever override that one power. So long as I follow the prime directive, they are my allies.

The new AD stops to take a breath, allowing Addazio to get a word in edgewise.

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:My kids graduate. They stay out of trouble. They are good students, no problems with the law, no problems with the school. They may not all be Catholic, but they live that way while they are here. And they love me. That is far more than what so many other BC head football coaches could say over the last 20 years.

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:You are the highest paid employee at Boston College. You make more than twice as much as I make. We don't pay you over $2,000,000 a year to be a baby sitter and a tutor. We don't pay you to get kids to graduate, things we expect of all our other students to do on their own. We pay you to win. And I don't really care how well behaved your kids are. I care about raising money for the school. And that only happens if these well behaved kids of yours can win. They don't win. So I can't raise as much money as I'd like to, as much money as the Board expects of me. And the Board of Trusties is aware of why I can't raise that money. That was the first thing I said to them in the meeting we just had.

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:... my kids, they are young. They are young and inexperienced. You can't expect them to....

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:Coach, I stopped watching your games two days ago and spent yesterday watching recordings of you and Jim Christian in press conferences. This young and inexperienced excuse, you've been using it for all 4 years you have been here. It is like your own personal narrative, your go-to talking point. It seems to me that your well behaved student-athletes, all of whom you claim graduate, are consistently too young and too inexperienced to win football games. Maybe the media here in Boston lets you get away with that nonsense, but I think we both know I am quite a bit smarter than that.

(Now, trying to redeem some of his masculinity and PRIDE...)
Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:You are going to miss me when I am not here. You have no idea how hard this job is. At this point, the only reason why I don't quit right now is because I love my kids so much that I....

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:PLEASE! Please feel free to quit anytime you want. I will accept your resignation, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I will interrupt a personal family vacation, interrupt a funeral, interrupt my daughter's wedding even, if it means you and I can stand before a notary and get you to sign your resignation letter. If you resign, that is a breach of contract and we no longer have to pay you. Feel free to go to as many job interviews as you'd like so long as it doesn't interfere with what you are contractually obligated to do with your job.

Sgt Slaughter {l Wrote}:So I guess that's it, you and I are done?

Former MAC AD finally given a Power-5 shot {l Wrote}:I will not jeopardize my career as Athletic Director. I know what needs to happen to raise the most money here. I know what I need to do to make my mark. I don't expect you to get into the playoffs as that is subjective and you have no control over that. My demands of you are entirely objective. I will offer you a 5 year contract extension if over the next three years, any of your 3 remaining team wins the ACC Conference. If you do something that no other BC coach has done, and actually win the ACC, you will get an extension. Otherwise, you and I have no further reason to speak to one another other than me hearing the words "I quit" coming from you. Have a nice day.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:40 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:starting with brad bates' first full year, bc is 31-121 in the acc in football, m bball & nags h00ps

all 3 coaches have received extensions under bates

BC Athletics : Feel the excitement!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 am

EO: Come for the meatbombs, stay for the Steve Addazio fanfic!
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:EO: Come for the meatbombs, stay for the Steve Addazio fanfic!

I thought you'd like that. :popcorn
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium