It's Bates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

It's Bates

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 am

I've been tracking his trip from Oxford. He's approaching Massachusetts, which would get him to Chestnut Hill just in time to shake hands and smile.

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: It's Bates

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am

Better than Q at least

http://www.muredhawks.com/ViewArticle.d ... =205498960

A progressive and driving force behind Miami University’s athletic department since his arrival in November of 2002, Brad Bates has been instrumental in not only upholding Miami’s athletic tradition but also in ushering Miami athletics into the next generation of intercollegiate athletics.

Bates’ unique vision of developing a Culture of Champions at Miami has made the RedHawk athletic program a model for all intercollegiate athletic programs. During the summer of 2011, Miami University met all the requirements for recertification as a member of Division I.

In 2011-12, Bates served as president of the 1A Athletic Directors Association.

Over the past 10 years, Bates has presided over a department that made back-to-back football bowl game appearances for the first time in nearly 30 years, while capturing conference championships in football, women’s cross country, ice hockey, baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, field hockey, soccer, tennis, softball and synchronized skating.

Miami has won the Reese Trophy and the Jacoby Trophy, all-sport awards presented annually to the MAC institution with the best all-around men’s and women’s sports programs.

In addition to the RedHawks’ athletic success during his tenure, Bates has spearheaded efforts to improve the “athletic classrooms” in which Miami’s student-athletes compete to rate among the best in the nation. Renovations to Yager Stadium continue, with plans for an indoor facility in the works. Already added to Yager are new stands on the east side, a state-of-the-art scoreboard, permanent lighting, the Cradle of Coaches Plaza and a FieldTurf playing surface.

Additionally, Miami unveiled several new and renovated facilities six years ago: a brand new softball field, a state-of-the-art ice hockey facility, and a renovated field hockey field that was upgraded with a new artificial turf surface and press box.

According to the 2011 Graduation Success Rate calculation, Miami’s student-athletes’ overall GSR is 89 percent, nine percent higher than the national rate. RedHawk female student-athletes combined for a nearly perfect GSR of 97 percent, while male student-athletes graded out at a highly respectable 83 percent. The GSR of seven different RedHawk teams--women’s swimming (100%), women’s basketball (100%), soccer (100%), softball (100%) and volleyball (100%), men’s swimming and diving (96%) and football (86%)--rank at the top or tied for best among Mid-American Conference institutions. Other impressive rates were achieved by Miami field hockey (94%), women’s cross country and track and field (92%), men’s golf (89%), women’s tennis (88%), men’s cross country and track and field (84%) and men’s basketball (82%). A six-year history of Miami University’s graduate success rate shows that the general student body has remained steady at 94 percent for that period, just five percent higher than Miami’s student-athletes. Miami’s entire student body ranks among the upper echelon of the nation’s public institutions of higher learning.

Bates, who came to Miami after 17 years at Vanderbilt University, achieved a doctorate in education at Vanderbilt in 1997. This followed the bachelor’s and master’s degrees he earned in education at the University of Michigan in 1981 and 1982. At Vanderbilt, along with overseeing the administration of all 15 sports, Bates, a Senior Associate A.D. when he departed, was highly involved in the department’s budgetary, marketing, development, licensing and Title IX compliance decision-making.

Athletically, Bates was a walk-on defensive back for Michigan from 1977-81. He played for then-Wolverine head football coach Bo Schembechler, a 1951 Miami alumnus and member of Miami’s legendary Cradle of Coaches. In his four years as a player, the Wolverines won three Big Ten Championships, posted a record of 37-11-0 and played in three Rose Bowls and a Gator Bowl.

Bates and his wife, Michele, reside in Oxford.

The Bates File

Education
High School: Port Huron (Mich.), 1977
College: Michigan, 1981 (education)
Masters: Michigan, 1982 (education)
Doctorate: Vanderbilt, 1998 (education)

Experience

1981-82 Graduate Assistant Michigan
1982-85 Head Strength Coach Colorado
1985-89 Head Strength Coach Vanderbilt
1989-95 Asst. AD Student Life/Interim AD for Compliance (1994) Vanderbilt
1995-96 Associate AD for Internal Operations Vanderbilt
1996-98 Associate AD for Revenue Sports and Internal Operations Vanderbilt
1998-02 Senior Associate AD Vanderbilt
2002-present Director of Athletics Miami University

Notes of Interest

Played for the football team at the University of Michigan under Miami University legend Bo Schembechler.
Twice during his tenure at Vanderbilt, the football program earned the American Football Coaches Association award for the highest graduation rate in college football.
Helped negotiate Vanderbilt's rights contract with the Tennessee Titans for the 1998
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am

So we pick the guy who Miami (OH) fans are begging to take off their hands? Sounds about right.

Miami (OH) football and hoops have really excelled under Bates. Love that Don Treadwell hire, too. Classic BC. :lame
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am

What worries me is that his biggest accomplishment seems to be the graduation rates. If he can improve facilities then that's good. Overall I see this as a very uninspiring hire if true, and that worries me about what kind of football coach he would hire.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:27 am

The link to the Miami message boards read a whole lot like the last days of Tom O'Brien or the days where GDF flirted with Tennessee.

YAY! :cheer
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:31 am

Q was obviously the token interview in this process, much like the Nebraska DC before the Jags' hire and Ed Cooley before the Donahue hire.

Bates is the guy you'd expect to emerge from a Leo Sullivan/Father Leahy-driven search. Graduation rates, blah, blah, blah. Which BC retread does he bring in to coach football? Maybe Treadwell comes with him at 75% off and Spaz stays on full-time as defensive coordinator at $1 million a year.

Whalepants for everyone!
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 am

After reading the Miami message boards, perhaps Q would be better...In the end, all of the names that have been mentioned stink. Bring back GDF! At least he hired Jags and Donahue!
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 am

Bates was the worst of the AD candidates. That said, not at all surprising Leahy would pick the one with the best grad rate (as he doesn't really care about anything else involving athletic pursuits). Funny how the two guys people liked the least are the only two names we are still talking about. Let's hope its none of the above.

BTW... my working theory is that BC wanted Boo but wouldn't match Army's committment to the programs. Instead of pushing back on Boo during negotiations, Leahy just pulled the plug and moved down the list.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Mod34b on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am

Miami (of OH) and the MAC are sources for many a fine football coach. Bates is going to be in the know of who is good and who is not; who is strange and who is solid. He will have personal relaltionships with coaching candidates - a plus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

Ohio is ground zero for BC football recruiting these days. He will have a pulse on that too. Another plus.

Sounds pretty good.
Mod34b

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 am

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:Q was obviously the token interview in this process, much like the Nebraska DC before the Jags' hire and Ed Cooley before the Donahue hire.

Cooley would have been a good hire.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Bates was the worst of the AD candidates.

And probably the cheapest of all the candidates.

HJS {l Wrote}:That said, not at all surprising Leahy would pick the one with the best grad rate (as he doesn't really care about anything else involving athletic pursuits). Funny how the two guys people liked the least are the only two names we are still talking about. Let's hope its none of the above.

BTW... my working theory is that BC wanted Boo but wouldn't match Army's committment to the programs. Instead of pushing back on Boo during negotiations, Leahy just pulled the plug and moved down the list.

Whoever came cheapest (really wanted to be BC's AD no matter what) gets it.

pride
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 am

Maybe Boo considered BC a step down from Army's athletic department. It is an inferior football program now. :bag
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 am

Mod34b {l Wrote}:Miami (of OH) and the MAC are sources for many a fine football coach. Bates is going to be in the know of who is good and who is not; who is strange and who is solid. He will have personal relaltionships with coaching candidates - a plus

Ohio is ground zero for BC football recruiting these days. He will have a pulse on that too. Another plus.

Sounds pretty good.

Once Don Treadwell is hired as Spaz's replacement, we'll only have to suffer through Head Coach Tim Rose and Head Coach Dana Bible before we will be allowed to move beyond the TOB coaching tree.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 am

Mod34b {l Wrote}:Miami (of OH) and the MAC are sources for many a fine football coach. Bates is going to be in the know of who is good and who is not; who is strange and who is solid. He will have personal relaltionships with coaching candidates - a plus

Sounds pretty good.

Its pretty good if you want to follow the model of recruiting Ohio State's athletic rejects.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Sounds pretty good.

Its pretty good if you want to follow the model of recruiting Ohio State's athletic rejects.

Our Ohio recruits have usually been pretty strong players who weren't looked at by OSU. You know, like Luke Keuchly.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am

In fairness, a lot of the complaints about Bates at Miami are similar to those we had for GDF - he's run his course. He seems to have had success early with football, and upgraded facilities. He also seems to be a well-spoken guy that probably has a tough task selling the program from a fundraising perspective.

Like I said, boring, but not bad.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am

Oldbaldeagle tweeted that he likes Bates. That's the nail on the coffin for me.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Oldbaldeagle tweeted that he likes Bates. That's the nail on the coffin for me.

:gun
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Will his butler call him Master Bates?

:tophat :tophat
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 pm

U.S. Bates
Last edited by vegasEagle on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:26 pm

He seems tall. I like that.

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Hunta518 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:He seems tall. I like that.

Is that last picture this guy?

Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:He seems tall. I like that.

Boy it's steamy in there.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:32 pm

He reminds me of Joe Namath, maybe he will ask Suzie Kolber for a kiss.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Will his butler call him Master Bates?

I
I
V
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby ConcernedEagle on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Brad fucking Bates.

Clown shoes just grew. We are just completely 100% fucked. Was going to try to give Boo a chance. No such stipulations for this fuckface. Fucking clown. fucking shoes. I'm finishing out this football season and then I'm over it. Last straw for this old boy. New public enemy #1 - Leahy.

For a while some thought Spaz was the problem. He was a symptom. Then we thought designer gene was the problem. He was also a symptom. The real disease choking out BC athletics is Leahy.
ConcernedEagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm

ConcernedEagle {l Wrote}:
Clown shoes just grew. We are just completely 100% fucked. Was going to try to give Boo a chance. No such stipulations for this fuckface. Fucking clown. fucking shoes. I'm finishing out this football season and then I'm over it. Last straw for this old boy.

Damn, just when we were beginning to like you.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:46 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Image

Didn't he play the Kramer character on "Jerry"?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Will his butler call him Master Bates?

I
I
V

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ConcernedEagle {l Wrote}:
Clown shoes just grew. We are just completely 100% fucked. Was going to try to give Boo a chance. No such stipulations for this fuckface. Fucking clown. fucking shoes. I'm finishing out this football season and then I'm over it. Last straw for this old boy.

Damn, just when we were beginning to like you.

Don't worry CE, this isn't true.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium