ND as partial member?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

ND as partial member?

Postby 31southst on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 am

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries/34806-news-and-notes-from-acc-media-day

Finally, I will leave you with this and blog a little bit later as there is a banquet getting ready to start with some speakers and whatnot - as if Pitt fans haven't had their fill of that Catholic school located in North Central Indiana (yes, Notre Dame) - the ACC is in discussions with Notre Dame about possibly becoming one of the teams in the mix to be an opponent for the ACC in the Orange Bowl. That's what they are saying publicly, at least, but here is something else to chew on: The ACC members have been vehemently opposed to partial memberships in the past and have had the attitude of "all in" or "not in" but Swofford said today he's not sure if that is still the case and of course, he wouldn't say it but others already have - that subject is indeed being considered with respect to Notre Dame. So don't be shocked if in the near future Notre Dame is an ACC member in all sports except football and has some sort of scheduling agreement to play X-number of ACC schools in football each year. Sound familiar?

I don't know what truth if any there is behind this but it would obviously be a very dumb thing to do. The only way I can get behind ND as a partial member is if it's for a limited transition period that definitely ends in full membership.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Re: ND as partial member?

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 am

31southst {l Wrote}:http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries/34806-news-and-notes-from-acc-media-day

Finally, I will leave you with this and blog a little bit later as there is a banquet getting ready to start with some speakers and whatnot - as if Pitt fans haven't had their fill of that Catholic school located in North Central Indiana (yes, Notre Dame) - the ACC is in discussions with Notre Dame about possibly becoming one of the teams in the mix to be an opponent for the ACC in the Orange Bowl. That's what they are saying publicly, at least, but here is something else to chew on: The ACC members have been vehemently opposed to partial memberships in the past and have had the attitude of "all in" or "not in" but Swofford said today he's not sure if that is still the case and of course, he wouldn't say it but others already have - that subject is indeed being considered with respect to Notre Dame. So don't be shocked if in the near future Notre Dame is an ACC member in all sports except football and has some sort of scheduling agreement to play X-number of ACC schools in football each year. Sound familiar?

I don't know what truth if any there is behind this but it would obviously be a very dumb thing to do. The only way I can get behind ND as a partial member is if it's for a limited transition period that definitely ends in full membership.

ND offers nothing without football. Olympic Sports do not bring in any money and without their FB, it doesn't change the TV deal. If it is a transition thing, fine. But, the only partial membership should be FOR football only (as that is the only thing TV networks will pay for).

BTW... where exactly did Swofford said he wasn't sure if the ACC still wanted an "all in" membership? You'd think that quote would appear somewhere and not a throwaway line in a blog entry.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:58 am

Absolutely a stupid idea and won't happen.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:10 am

Yeah I tend to think this story would not be broken a Pitt blogger if it had real legs but I still think it's worth posting. I also can't fully rule out Swofford doing something like this because a) he's really butchered the tv negotiations and b) his job is under much more pressure than it was previously.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 am

Blaudscum also tweeted about this yesterday.

Word has it ACC and ND are considering 6 game a year plan with ACC teams plus other sports as part of a deal to bring ND to ACC

https://twitter.com/blauds/status/227230338441691136
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 am

I'm going on record to say this will happen soon with the expectation that football will join eventually. While it isn't worth much without football, it's as much about posturing for the future as anything else.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I'm going on record to say this will happen soon with the expectation that football will join eventually. While it isn't worth much without football, it's as much about posturing for the future as anything else.

I agree with this. ND will eventually move all in, they have to. The ACC knows this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Blaudscum also tweeted about this yesterday.

Word has it ACC and ND are considering 6 game a year plan with ACC teams plus other sports as part of a deal to bring ND to ACC

I'm OK with this so long as their is an eventual all-in date... even if it is 10 years out.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I'm OK with this so long as their is an eventual all-in date... even if it is 10 years out.

How many games did ND play against big east comp each year? 6 seems like a lot of games...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

How many games did ND play against big east comp each year? 6 seems like a lot of games...

2011 - 2 (USF, Pitt)
2010 - 1 (Pitt)
2009 - 2 (Pitt, UConn)
2008 - 2 (Pitt, Syracuse)
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 am

ND has significant history with BC, SU, Pitt, Mia, FSU, GT. 6 ACC games among the current 14 wouldn't really be a far cry from their normal scheduling.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:26 pm

The ACC is not in a position to play hardball with any worthy new member--especially ND. The ACC is the next in line to become like the NBE and lose any chance to be regarded as a top conference. Unfortunately, we have liittle choice but to play the game with ND and hope they joing in Fball later. I know the NBE tried and failed at this but we really have few options to attract top teams to build the ACC reputation in Fball and TV $. We have to partially dance with the devil and hope they commit to Fball someday. :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:26 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:The ACC is not in a position to play hardball with any worthy new member--especially ND. The ACC is the next in line to become like the NBE and lose any chance to be regarded as a top conference. Unfortunately, we have liittle choice but to play the game with ND and hope they joing in Fball later. I know the NBE tried and failed at this but we really have few options to attract top teams to build the ACC reputation in Fball and TV $. We have to partially dance with the devil and hope they commit to Fball someday. :81

wrong.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:29 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:The ACC is not in a position to play hardball with any worthy new member--especially ND. The ACC is the next in line to become like the NBE and lose any chance to be regarded as a top conference. Unfortunately, we have liittle choice but to play the game with ND and hope they joing in Fball later. I know the NBE tried and failed at this but we really have few options to attract top teams to build the ACC reputation in Fball and TV $. We have to partially dance with the devil and hope they commit to Fball someday. :81

Jesus, even in the face of the complete failure of your predictions, you stand by them.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Jesus, even in the face of the complete failure of your predictions, you stand by them.

Haha. Whe you tards said " No way any conference goes to more than 12 teams". 81 said they would and they did. When you tards said "The ACC doesn't need to expand to stay relevant". 81 said they did.. and they did. When all of you shat that conference realignment would not happen. 81 said it would and it has no happened in bushels. I'm ALWAYS right and ACC will take the ND bait. You know it Teddy, you know it too. :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Haha. Whe you tards said " No way any conference goes to more than 12 teams". 81 said they would and they did. When you tards said "The ACC doesn't need to expand to stay relevant". 81 said they did.. and they did. When all of you shat that conference realignment would not happen. 81 said it would and it has no happened in bushels. I'm ALWAYS right and ACC will take the ND bait. You know it Teddy, you know it too. :81

Yeah, none of that shit happened. But you did predict the implosion of the ACC and FSU and Clemson leaving.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, none of that shit happened. But you did predict the implosion of the ACC and FSU and Clemson leaving.

If the ACC does not up its game then that prediction will become true like all the others. :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If the ACC does not up its game then that prediction will become true like all the others. :81

That'd be great if you had actually predicted the other shit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:13 pm

The partial member is a bullshit move for a conference that is trying to piece together enough football schools to retain AQ status. Not a problem for the ACC. I would only allow this as a transition period as long as ND has already agreed to join by a certain date (and require them to pay full buyout if they back out).

Is it time to put 81 back on ignore? I guess so.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby nerd on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 pm

How would the ACC partner here?

Would they bring in a school that doesn't have a football team? Or would they tell Rutgers/UConn that they can join for all sports except football and wait until ND becomes a full member to get their football team in, too?
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm

How Notre Dame fits in the ACC
Ryan McGee

"I couldn't really hear the question..."

As ACC commissioner John Swofford said it, he smiled slyly at Caulton Tudor. The longtime News & Observer columnist and Tobacco Road's poet laureate had just taken his turn at the commissioner's annual ACC Football Kickoff press conference and the question was very simple.

Would Notre Dame ever be a part of the ACC?

Swofford, as always, handled the topic with polite strength. After drawing a round of laughter with his response, he merely reminded that he doesn't comment on schools outside of his conference (at least not when it comes to realignment).

Yes, Notre Dame hasn't won a national title since 1988. Yes, they've still never won a BCS bowl. But yes, they are also still the only stand-alone team that gets a seat at the college football power meetings, sitting alongside conferences.

Now those conferences want them on board, whether those leagues will admit it publicly or not. Why? Because the golden ND is still one of the few genuinely national brands in collegiate sports. They are the last big fish not already in a BCS conference pond.

Texas AD (and unofficial Big 12 commissioner) DeLoss Dodds has admitted to courting the Irish. The Big Ten membership has never been shy about coveting the only school in the region that they don't already have, though only behind closed doors. Commissioner Jim Delany went out of his way to shoot down such chatter last fall.

But the best fit would appear to be the ACC. It actually makes a lot of sense. I'm not alone on this. (For one, ask our very own Notre Dame blogger extraordinaire Matt Fortuna. And while he was very quick to laugh off the question at first, Swofford himself softened his stance before he was finished. After carefully repeating that he is perfectly happy with fourteen member schools, he said, "They (Notre Dame) are very committed to independence."

But then he added, "Whether that changes down the road, we'll have to wait and see."

How would it work? Let us count the ways.

Reason No. 1: They fit into the ACC's new map
The idea of such a pairing became even more logical after the league's most recent raid of the Big East, an expansion that now gives the ACC ownership of the entire Eastern Seaboard, covering nine contiguous states, from Florida to Upstate New York. Notre Dame may be located in Indiana, but it has now and will always play like an eastern school, with a massive New York and New England fan base and an already-established pipeline in the Carolinas and Florida.

Reason No. 2: Adapting to the ACC schedule wouldn't be bad
When the conference reboots as a 14-team league in 2014, it will go to a nine-game conference schedule. For the Irish, that would mean sacrificing some of its rivalries, but not all, and certainly not the two that mean the most -- USC and Michigan. They would likely have to lose series such as Purdue, Michigan State, or Army. They could rotate those, or just stick with Navy, whom they have played annually since 1927, the longest continuous series in college football.

But they would be given the opportunity to strengthen the series with Boston College and even Georgia Tech, whom they played regularly between 1922 and 1981 but were forced to disband when the Yellow Jackets joined the ACC.

In the end, a melding of what Notre Dame has now with what it would have in the ACC could create a perfect postseason selection committee storm -- a BCS-level conference championship won while also enduring inarguable non-conference strength of schedule.

Reason No. 3: Their relationship is solid and getting stronger
Notre Dame will play three ACC schools this season, as they did last year. They are already reportedly talking with the ACC about a potential Orange Bowl partnership, a la Big Ten/Pac-12 and SEC/Big 12 (Swofford only acknowledges talking over "several different scenarios"). And during this summer's postseason playoff meetings, Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick and Swofford were allies in a room that was balanced along multiple, taut battle lines.

Reason No. 4: Their independence is only semi-independence
The nature of their oft-proudly stated independence is to also be aligned with a conference. Namely the Big East, in which Notre Dame has long competed in every sport but football (also hockey and fencing, but the conference doesn't sanction those sport). They have also entered into agreements with Big East-tied bowl games that made the Fighting Irish a de facto Big East option.

"This is their perfect fit," an ACC member athletic department administrator said in the hallway after Swofford's comments. "They would walk right in the door fitting the profile of an ACC school, academically and athletically. We can offer everything the Big East ever did. But the difference here is that we have more to offer when it comes to football, too."

Reason No. 5: The ACC is not the weakling you think it is
The Big East is a listing vessel. The ACC, despite internet persistence to the contrary, is not. Not even close. Anyone who listened to Swofford on Sunday (and saw how he bristled at the suggestion) should realize that. "We're awesome" hyperbole is a preseason media day staple. But laying out facts such as eight bowl ties, a new 12-year agreement with the Orange, a media agreement with ESPN through 2026-27, the ACC Championship Game's success in Charlotte, and the hurried-up addition of Syracuse and Pitt ... well, that's more than blowing smoke. Yes, they need to start winning games against other BCS opponents. And they really need to start winning bowl games. But couldn't you say the same about Notre Dame?

Reason No. 6: 'Independent' can no longer hang with conference cash
On Sunday night another ACC administrator quickly spoke up on the Notre Dame topic, specifically "the myth that they bring so much more money than the rest of us".

"They simply can't hold out forever because the money won't let them," he added. "This isn't 1990 anymore."

That was the year that Notre Dame did their unprecedented TV deal with NBC Sports, who agreed to televise every Irish home game for the then-astronomical sum of $38 million over five years. Over the last two decades that deal has grown monetarily and expanded to include neutral site prime time games. But as the team has struggled - as has NBC's overall programming  and ratings have steadily declined. Their current deal is inked through 2015, estimated at around $15 million per season (former head coach Charlie Weiss's buyout was $18 million). NBC, now buoyed by the new NBC Sports cable channel, appears to want to re-up. But can they match what else might be out there?

The ACC's newly-renewed deal with ESPN is worth $3.6 billion, a payout of around $17 million per school. That deal was restructured after only one year of a previous deal, thanks to a clause that was triggered by the addition of the Orange and Panthers. If Notre Dame -- and presumably another school -- joined, then there would be another opportunity to restructure for more cash.

Keep in mind that this is all before the new playoff postseason chuck wagon rolls in, a deal that hasn't even started the process of entertaining network bids. Estimated at $300-400 million per year, there will be plenty of money to go around and that money is likely to be more evenly distributed than BCS money ever was.

Assuming that Notre Dame would get a full conference's share of that future postseason payout would be misguided. They haven't had that for a long time now. In the original BCS agreement Notre Dame received a yearly check for upwards of $14 million, the same as if it were a 12-team conference. But that was restructured in 2006. If they qualify for a BCS bowl, which they haven't since '07, they receive around $6.5 million. When they don't qualify for a BCS bowl, they get $1 million.

The ACC is preparing to go shopping for post-BCS Orange Bowl TV rights, but as Swofford said, "You can't get too far down the road until you've completed the discussions of the opponent on the other side." An agreement with Notre Dame would likely make that a lucrative trip. But would it produce more revenue if they were that opponent, or a member?

It's a question that both sides will be forced to ask.

"The timing of it all will be curious," the ACC AD continued. "Syracuse and Pitt join the conference in 2013. The new playoff starts in 2014. Notre Dame's deal with NBC is up in 2015. Feels like dominos doesn't it?"

It also feels like a perfect fit.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-foot ... otball-ncf
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Ignore all you want EM. The ACC is a pussified Fball conference with zero leverage with an ND. The ACC WILL do the Orange Bowl deal with ND and concurrently or within 2 years go the partial membership route. The Oracle of CFB has now spoken. :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:27 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Ignore all you want EM. The ACC is a pussified Fball conference with zero leverage with an ND. The ACC WILL do the Orange Bowl deal with ND and concurrently or within 2 years go the partial membership route. The Oracle of CFB has now spoken. :81

Oracle of Ass Talk is more like it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Seems like all of a sudden this ND to ACC story is getting more attention. I doubt that there's anything imminent but the ACC has always made the most sense if they decide to end independence and people like West have suggested that this has at least some momentum. With their TV contract up in 2015, I'd have to imagine there will be some sort of resolution before then (likely long before given the need for time to plan, etc.)
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby nerd on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Didn't 81 start a thread a few months back, bragging about being proven right about Clemson and FSU joining the Big Twelve?
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:Didn't 81 start a thread a few months back, bragging about being proven right about Clemson and FSU joining the Big Twelve?

Yes. Also his big prediction from back in the day was that the big 4 conferences were going to 16 and the ACC would be left out and would implode. Pitt and Cuse joined the ACC like 3 hours later.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:32 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Ignore all you want EM. The ACC is a pussified Fball conference with zero leverage with an ND. The ACC WILL do the Orange Bowl deal with ND and concurrently or within 2 years go the partial membership route. The Oracle of CFB has now spoken. :81

How does Clemson like simultaneously being in the Big 12 and the SEC? Great call there.

If you're going to be a gag poster, be entertaining. You're boring.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm

we are bringing nd in to replace those schools i thought.

partial member is lame. we lived that life. it sucked.
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That'd be great if you had actually predicted the other shit.

Oh Teddy. You are not even fair. You are better than this. You KNOW I predicted the above LONG before any tard, including you, even thought it possible. A shame when someone cant even fess up when they are wrong. I feel sorry for you. :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
nerd {l Wrote}:Didn't 81 start a thread a few months back, bragging about being proven right about Clemson and FSU joining the Big Twelve?

Yes. Also his big prediction from back in the day was that the big 4 conferences were going to 16 and the ACC would be left out and would implode. Pitt and Cuse joined the ACC like 3 hours later.

THIS will happen.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium