When did you stop supporting TOB? Jags? Spaz?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: When did you stop supporting TOB? Jags? Spaz?

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:If memory serves me correctly the 2009, 2010 and 2011 teams didn't make it to the ACC Championship Game and are not touted as the reason that a former head coach was the bestest ever so I'm not sure what your point is of bringing up those years.

I was simply pointing out that the main reason for the success of the 2008 campaign was the defense not the magical mediocrity of Chris Crane and Dom Davis. I felt that the author above suggesting that was at best insincere and at worst full of crap.

are you eaglegradcc?

That depends. Are you an 18 year old black high school football player that either lied or was lied about?

that was too lucid a response, nevermind.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Crane and Montel were dominating Wake when the injury happened.

Dominating a couple of drives that ended in field goals because Crane wasn't good enough to get it into the end zone.

To suggest that the success of that team wasn't 80-90% on the defense is the real revisionist history.

Nope.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:If memory serves me correctly the 2009, 2010 and 2011 teams didn't make it to the ACC Championship Game and are not touted as the reason that a former head coach was the bestest ever so I'm not sure what your point is of bringing up those years.

I was simply pointing out that the main reason for the success of the 2008 campaign was the defense not the magical mediocrity of Chris Crane and Dom Davis. I felt that the author above suggesting that was at best insincere and at worst full of crap.

Not referencing whatever you were responding to above, which I think you are exaggerating, the impressiveness of the 2008 offense is not that the results were great, they were not (relative to non-spaz results), but that the 2008 offensive roster was a shit sandwich of epic proportions so that even producing an offense which kept the awesome defense in games was an accomplishment making Jagodzinski (the ceo) much, much better than his predecessor or his successor. We had two freshman rbs, Crane who has never played a significant down and was godawful (until Logan figured out how to use his one plus attribute) and we had a true sophomore LT who started the season less than 270 lbs in Castanzo replacing a 1st round draft pick and Lapham playing on the other side. All of these problems were the result of TOB not recruiting various roster spots btw, thus differentiating the roster spaz inherited and then decimated by choice. Additionally, the Jags staff got great play from Claiborne, a player who Spaz immediately ruined.

This.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Fire Spaz on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

So the Jags cupboard was bare but the Spaz cupboard was "dismantled by Spaz" through the graduation of 4 NFL players because Spaz created a rule that players can't have more than 4 years of eligibility. And Dom Davis won the Wake Forest game single handed (ignoring the Herzlich pick 6 and pick to the 16 yard line resulting in a field goal because the offense couldn't move) but Crane would have won it with no hands because of the 3 passes he completed and the strategic fumble that he provided to the Deacs. Now it all makes perfect sense.

Look, I'm exaggersting but to suggest that Eagle9903 and twballgame are not exaggerating is a line of Spaznanian proportions.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:So the Jags cupboard was bare but the Spaz cupboard was "dismantled by Spaz" through the graduation of 4 NFL players because Spaz created a rule that players can't have more than 4 years of eligibility. And Dom Davis won the Wake Forest game single handed (ignoring the Herzlich pick 6 and pick to the 16 yard line resulting in a field goal because the offense couldn't move) but Crane would have won it with no hands because of the 3 passes he completed and the strategic fumble that he provided to the Deacs. Now it all makes perfect sense.

Look, I'm exaggersting but to suggest that Eagle9903 and twballgame are not exaggerating is a line of Spaznanian proportions.

I see you haven't changed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:So the Jags cupboard was bare but the Spaz cupboard was "dismantled by Spaz" through the graduation of 4 NFL players because Spaz created a rule that players can't have more than 4 years of eligibility. And Dom Davis won the Wake Forest game single handed (ignoring the Herzlich pick 6 and pick to the 16 yard line resulting in a field goal because the offense couldn't move) but Crane would have won it with no hands because of the 3 passes he completed and the strategic fumble that he provided to the Deacs. Now it all makes perfect sense.

Two tiers of argument here:

1) The bottomline - Jags did better in 2008 with his empty cupboard offense than Spaz did in 2009 with his; and
2) The second tier - the empty roster spots in 2008 were due to TOB not recruiting running backs (AJ Brooks and nothing) and quarterbacks (Crane and nothing) and bad luck with injuries on the OL (Sheil, Schepsis, Elliot) whereas, it is my belief that the empty roster spots in 2009 were mainly due to hiring a petrified elephant man whose unimpressive hay day was during the Reagan presidency as offensive coordinator which I blame specifically for the absence of Haden, Tuggle - he didn't leave yet but may have been better than uncle dave, Davis, aforesaid ruining of Claiborne, decision to never use a TE again.

As a bonus but not 2009 offense related its also on Spaz in my opinion that the following players are elsewhere: Isaac Johnson, Dominick LeGrande, Okechuckwu Okoroha, Max Holloway, Montel Harris, Sterlin Phifer and Shakim Phillips
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:38 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
If we take all seven aspects of the 22 starting positions in football: QB, TB, OL, Recievers, DL, LB, & DB, and if you can only have one of those where your people will be the best people in the game at the level you play, pick defensive line (specifically defensive tackle.) That one position (if your people are the best at it) makes you an instant winner. That one position (if your people playing it are the best at it) makes everything else about the team, easier.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby quillisswill on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm

TOB - That UNC loss when he chose Porter over Ryan. What really killed me was his 'well, we weren't going to make the ACC championship game anyway' reaction, after the game. Sure enough, the way things broke we would have, but he was too much of a stubborn pussy to get us there.

JAGS - Never. Like him or not (and I probably wouldn't if I met him), but his record speaks for itself. I still remember the onside kick in the second period at FSU. It was a small thing, but it showed his 'play to win' mentality, which is the antithesis of the guy he replaced, and the stooge that followed him.

SPAZ - His 60 minute turtle at Clemson was an insult to everyone who cares about winning, and his halftime 'this could get really ugly' interview merited him being fired on the spot.
quillisswill
n00b

Postby Fire Spaz on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

If you really want to compare 2008 to 2009 there are only two important points:

In 2008 there was no Jags to keep his foot on Spaz's neck to play actual defense.

Gary Fucking Tranquil

Players are players and injuries are injuries. A healthy Crane and Challenger under Spaz would have sucked compared to 2008 but that doesn't change the fact that they were not that good under Jags either. Without the 2008 defense that was a 5-7/6-6 team.

That was my point.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:If you really want to compare 2008 to 2009 there are only two important points:

In 2008 there was no Jags to keep his foot on Spaz's neck to play actual defense.

Gary Fucking Tranquil

Players are players and injuries are injuries. A healthy Crane and Challenger under Spaz would have sucked compared to 2008 but that doesn't change the fact that they were not that good under Jags either. Without the 2008 defense that was a 5-7/6-6 team.

That was my point.

Are you talon?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:23 am

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:If you really want to compare 2008 to 2009 there are only two important points:

Gary Fucking Tranquil

That was my point.

Without the 2007 defense, the 2007 team was probably a 5-7/6-6 team. Your point is not invalid, just grotesquely overstated. Can't win without defense, and can't win unless you score.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
If we take all seven aspects of the 22 starting positions in football: QB, TB, OL, Recievers, DL, LB, & DB, and if you can only have one of those where your people will be the best people in the game at the level you play, pick defensive line (specifically defensive tackle.) That one position (if your people are the best at it) makes you an instant winner. That one position makes everything else about the team, easier.

You need to talk about football less.

Thank you Foot. :kudos
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium