What I know about Montel

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: What I know about Montel

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Sounds to me like he was getting some bad advice. He should have at least shown up for practice and team meetings whether he was willing to fully participate or not. Left himself open to this he had to know this was coming given GDF and spaz's track record.

A 22 year old college student at a Jesuit university left himself open to public attacks from a two adult men in positions of power over him who he had made money for? Whether or not it's true he left himself open, just think about that for a bit.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Sounds to me like he was getting some bad advice. He should have at least shown up for practice and team meetings whether he was willing to fully participate or not. Left himself open to this he had to know this was coming given GDF and spaz's track record.

A 22 year old college student at a Jesuit university left himself open to public attacks from a two adult men in positions of power over him who he had made money for? Whether or not it's true he left himself open, just think about that for a bit.

The way you wrote that really sounds like Cardinal Law was involved.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Leahy would probably have appointed him to the BOT if Montel's repeated violations was only related to the raping of little boys.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:03 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Jesuit schmesuit, it's a big time football program and coaches acting this way is no secret to anyone, there have been books written and movies made about this crap. I am not defending Spaz's actions, there has been way too much of public mismanagement by the AD and Spaz but come on with the innocent 22 year old helpless kid and the mean evil Jesuits. Any kid who has been involved with sports knows how the politics work and whats going to happen if you don't show up for practice. Spaz's biggest mistake in this was carrying this kid through spring practice if he wasn't showing up for practice and meetings. There are four running backs on the roster, one isn't showing up or doesn't want to practice while the others are working there butts off and this kid is the automatic starter, that is what sucks. There's a morale breaker. What do you expect, of course Spaz is pissed, Montel made Spaz look like the idiot he is while Spaz is probably thinking he is doing the kid a favor. Montel should have either shown up or quit no matter what his intentions were, that would have been the honorable thing to do. If he quit, he should have lost his scholarship. That was the deal, you get a scholarship for being on the football team. You're not on the football team, you don't get a scholarship and if you can get admitted, you have to pay just like the other non-scholarship students. Sucks but that is how it works.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Leahy would probably have appointed him to the BOT if Montel's repeated violations was only related to the raping of little boys.

Its funny you mention this, someone on TOS had a very good point about the school's treatment of Fr. Schaeffer (no public assassination, minimal interference with life and career) vs. Montel Harris (very public assassination, much interference with life and career).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Jesuit schmesuit, it's a big time football program and coaches acting this way is no secret to anyone, there have been books written and movies made about this crap. I am not defending Spaz's actions, there has been way too much of public mismanagement by the AD and Spaz but come on with the innocent 22 year old helpless kid and the mean evil Jesuits. Any kid who has been involved with sports knows how the politics work and whats going to happen if you don't show up for practice. Spaz's biggest mistake in this was carrying this kid through spring practice if he wasn't showing up for practice and meetings. There are four running backs on the roster, one isn't showing up or doesn't want to practice while the others are working there butts off and this kid is the automatic starter, that is what sucks. There's a morale breaker. What do you expect, of course Spaz is pissed, Montel made Spaz look like the idiot he is while Spaz is probably thinking he is doing the kid a favor. Montel should have either shown up or quit no matter what his intentions were, that would have been the honorable thing to do. If he quit, he should have lost his scholarship. That was the deal, you get a scholarship for being on the football team. You're not on the football team, you don't get a scholarship and if you can get admitted, you have to pay just like the other non-scholarship students. Sucks but that is how it works.

I can never tell if you're just really, really, really, really stupid or just an asshole. I think it's probably both. Since you read books and watch movies you may be aware of the unequal position that the NCAA places players vis-a-vis universities. I don't feel the need to explain further why this makes your dumb moral and fairness argument wrong, so please consult a book or movie for more information if needed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu May 03, 2012 10:19 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Its funny you mention this, someone on TOS had a very good point about the school's treatment of Fr. Schaeffer (no public assassination, minimal interference with life and career) vs. Montel Harris (very public assassination, much interference with life and career).

BC board protects diddlers more than their integrity.... The brand has fallen a long way....

I really hope the truth comes out... I doubt it will though.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

OJ, you are so effin transparent. Just admit it, less dreadlocks more goldilocks!!!
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I can never tell if you're just really, really, really, really stupid or just an asshole. I think it's probably both. Since you read books and watch movies you may be aware of the unequal position that the NCAA places players vis-a-vis universities. I don't feel the need to explain further why this makes your dumb moral and fairness argument wrong, so please consult a book or movie for more information if needed.

Let me just say first off, you appear to be blinded by your self importance and baseless arrogance, that said I guess I have to spell everything out for you because of your superior intelligence. My point is that it is not fair but all involved either know this going in or have been living in a fantasy world. There are consequences of actions, right or wrong. Montel is where Montel is because of the decisions he has made and actions he has taken. That is the only thing he had control of and he is now paying for it. So, right or wrong, he is the one who is screwed.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

Hey remember when 94 didn't know how twitter worked and thought because ATL tweeted something by Blauds that Blauds was ATL's "inside source?"
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

it's a big time football program

it's not.

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:I am not defending Spaz's actions,

even though the majority of the rest of your post does defend his actions?

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:there has been way too much of public mismanagement by the AD and Spaz but come on with the innocent 22 year old helpless kid and the mean evil Jesuits.

please point to where I said Montel was innocent and blamed evil Jesuits for this occurence?

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Any kid who has been involved with sports knows how the politics work and whats going to happen if you don't show up for practice. Spaz's biggest mistake in this was carrying this kid through spring practice if he wasn't showing up for practice and meetings. There are four running backs on the roster, one isn't showing up or doesn't want to practice while the others are working there butts off and this kid is the automatic starter, that is what sucks. There's a morale breaker. What do you expect, of course Spaz is pissed, Montel made Spaz look like the idiot he is while Spaz is probably thinking he is doing the kid a favor. Montel should have either shown up or quit no matter what his intentions were, that would have been the honorable thing to do. If he quit, he should have lost his scholarship. That was the deal, you get a scholarship for being on the football team. You're not on the football team, you don't get a scholarship and if you can get admitted, you have to pay just like the other non-scholarship students. Sucks but that is how it works.

The rest of this is a bunch of speculation and Spaz defending. Is Montel innocent? no and I never said or implied he was. My post was meant to show you that the players and coaches/administrators don't stand on equal footing. And the grown men in power have been the ones pointing fingers in the media. The fact that you launched into a rant about Montel's role speaks for itself.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}: So, right or wrong, he is the one who is screwed.

So what's your point?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Let me just say first off, you appear to be blinded by your self importance and baseless arrogance, that said I guess I have to spell everything out for you because of your superior intelligence. My point is that it is not fair but all involved either know this going in or have been living in a fantasy world. There are consequences of actions, right or wrong. Montel is where Montel is because of the decisions he has made and actions he has taken. That is the only thing he had control of and he is now paying for it. So, right or wrong, he is the one who is screwed.

I am going with both, you are stupid and an asshole. Don't tell me for a second that Spaz didn't know Montel wasn't playing next year. We all knew it here, it really wasn't a secret. Spaz knew and like Greasy Gene, he reacts emotionally and "dismisses" Montel from the team. A very sad and pathetic move. Montel earned the right to finsih school. He played or at least attempted to play all four years of his commitment and now he is set to graduate. Let it alone.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Hey remember when 94 didn't know how twitter worked and thought because ATL tweeted something by Blauds that Blauds was ATL's "inside source?"

It's here. It's really funny to me still.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 10:38 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Hey remember when 94 didn't know how twitter worked and thought because ATL tweeted something by Blauds that Blauds was ATL's "inside source?"

It's here. It's really funny to me still.

Still a classic.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Let me just say first off, you appear to be blinded by your self importance and baseless arrogance, that said I guess I have to spell everything out for you because of your superior intelligence. My point is that it is not fair but all involved either know this going in or have been living in a fantasy world. There are consequences of actions, right or wrong. Montel is where Montel is because of the decisions he has made and actions he has taken. That is the only thing he had control of and he is now paying for it. So, right or wrong, he is the one who is screwed.

The consequences of crossing a street outsider a bar whereon a drunk driver is speeding may be death for the crosser. That does not mean that just because consequences exist and the crosser was aware the bar was situated there that he would be at fault for his own death. This remains true even if he wasn't wearing reflective jacket.

Montel is where Montel is because adults in a position of power are bad at their jobs and his decision to better his own life was an impediment to their continued reputations, whereby they sacrificed his reputation in favor of their own. I very much hope, he gets his BC degree, rushes for 2000 yards at Temple next year, is drafted, and is not screwed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Gabelli10 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:02 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

If he quit, he should have lost his scholarship. That was the deal, you get a scholarship for being on the football team. You're not on the football team, you don't get a scholarship and if you can get admitted, you have to pay just like the other non-scholarship students. Sucks but that is how it works.

Other than the fact that the rest of your post sucks. This isnt even factually correct. BC cant pull his scholarship mid-year if he quits - they could not give him a 5th year but once the school gives you the scholarship for the year its not conditioned on being on the team.

The rest is :suicide
Gabelli10
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 am

Gabelli10 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

If he quit, he should have lost his scholarship. That was the deal, you get a scholarship for being on the football team. You're not on the football team, you don't get a scholarship and if you can get admitted, you have to pay just like the other non-scholarship students. Sucks but that is how it works.

Other than the fact that the rest of your post sucks. This isnt even factually correct. BC cant pull his scholarship mid-year if he quits - they could not give him a 5th year but once the school gives you the scholarship for the year its not conditioned on being on the team.

The rest is :suicide

On top of that - 94 equates transferring with quitting. Probably more so than kneeling out the last 3 quarters of a game, too.

The logic that his schollie should be pulled for the 2011-2012 school year even though he fulfilled his oblgiations for the 2011-2012 football season is also laughable.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 am

I don't like Montel the characterization of Montel as a kid and Spaz as the adult. They are both adults. And, in saying this, I'm acknowledging that Montel made a very adult decision to refuse to put his body in a position to be further injured and to finish the semester and graduate before deciding on any further moves.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 11:11 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I don't like Montel the characterization of Montel as a kid and Spaz as the adult. They are both adults. And, in saying this, I'm acknowledging that Montel made a very adult decision to refuse to put his body in a position to be further injured and to finish the semester and graduate before deciding on any further moves.

You don't have to like it. Kids make adult decisions all the time. Montel seems mature and I don't necessarily mean kid as in immature or incapable. It's more the contrast to the gentlemen who are supposed to use their positions in a responsible and mature manner. And because 94 is a giant wad of fail for defending them.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:I don't like Montel the characterization of Montel as a kid and Spaz as the adult. They are both adults. And, in saying this, I'm acknowledging that Montel made a very adult decision to refuse to put his body in a position to be further injured and to finish the semester and graduate before deciding on any further moves.

You don't have to like it. Kids make adult decisions all the time. Montel seems mature and I don't necessarily mean kid as in immature or incapable. It's more the contrast to the gentlemen who are supposed to use their positions in a responsible and mature manner. And because 94 is a giant wad of fail for defending them.

Give it up Pedro. He's 22 and a graduating senior. His classmates will all be (optimally) starting their work-life in a few weeks.

The reason I brought this up is that I feel that the characterization of Montel as child might marginilize his positive role in this. He handled it like an adult, which is what he is, and has been as graceful as possible in the process. This is, of course, in wild contrast to those in power (who, as it has been mentioned before, don't always act like the adults they are).
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Give it up Pedro. He's 22 and a graduating senior. His classmates will all be (optimally) starting their work-life in a few weeks.

The reason I brought this up is that I feel that the characterization of Montel as child might marginilize his positive role in this. He handled it like an adult, which is what he is, and has been as graceful as possible in the process. This is, of course, in wild contrast to those in power (who, as it has been mentioned before, don't always act like the adults they are).

The connotation change from kid to child is a nice bit of work, there. My gut tells me that because you're closer to Montel in age than I am that you are taking the "kid" comment personally. It's all relative. Cool your jets.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

The connotation change from kid to child is a nice bit of work, there. My gut tells me that because you're closer to Montel in age than I am that you are taking the "kid" comment personally. It's all relative. Cool your jets.

Apparently you extrapolated some real emotion from my post. There wasn't any. I just thought calling Montel a "kid", "child," or any other similar grouping sells him short, and wanted to throw a clarification out there.

As I agree with virtually everything that you, 9903, and everyone else other than 94 has posted, I don't care enough about it to continue.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Apparently you extrapolated some real emotion from my post. There wasn't any. I just thought calling Montel a "kid", "child," or any other similar grouping sells him short, and wanted to throw a clarification out there.

As I agree with virtually everything that you, 9903, and everyone else other than 94 has posted, I don't care enough about it to continue.

It was just a hunch. And "cool your jets" was meant to be condIBscending.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu May 03, 2012 11:37 am

i have never put anyone on the bozo filter before but i am getting awfully close to adding someone... this thread is going downhill fast.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu May 03, 2012 11:46 am

Since Gene and Spaz are taking a page out of Larry Lucchino's playbook, we're going to be hearing a lot more stories about Montel's "character issues" from mysterious sources.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:46 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Since Gene and Spaz are taking a page out of Larry Lucchino's playbook, we're going to be hearing a lot more stories about Montel's "character issues" from mysterious sources.

Bob Hohler is on it!
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Let me just say first off, you appear to be blinded by your self importance and baseless arrogance, that said I guess I have to spell everything out for you because of your superior intelligence. My point is that it is not fair but all involved either know this going in or have been living in a fantasy world. There are consequences of actions, right or wrong. Montel is where Montel is because of the decisions he has made and actions he has taken. That is the only thing he had control of and he is now paying for it. So, right or wrong, he is the one who is screwed.

The consequences of crossing a street outside a bar whereon a drunk driver is speeding may be death for the crosser. That does not mean that just because consequences exist and the crosser was aware the bar was situated there that he would be at fault for his own death. This remains true even if he wasn't wearing reflective jacket.

The crosser is still dead is my point, does it matter to the dead guy who's fault it was? I don't know about you but I look twice, even if I have the walk sign. Do I have to? Would it be my fault if I got killed? No but I'd still be dead.

Montel is where Montel is because adults in a position of power are bad at their jobs and his decision to better his own life was an impediment to their continued reputations, whereby they sacrificed his reputation in favor of their own. I very much hope, he gets his BC degree, rushes for 2000 yards at Temple next year, is drafted, and is not screwed.

Montel may be where he is because of "adults" but if he didn't give them a reason/excuse to remove him from the team, I don't think they would have.

As far as losing his scholarship, I was just responding to other posters who said he couldn't quit formally because he would have lost his scholarship and prevented from a "Russell Wilson transfer".
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 am

ConcernedEagle {l Wrote}:Many claim they have never actually spoken to the man - that he only communicates to them through position coaches.

Since hansen is whining, I'll add some CONTENT here, although it's nothing new.

I've stated several times that one of my best friends from BC played under TOB. He says that he maybe spoke to him once or twice over the course of his 4 years. And this isn't a walk-on, he was a 3 year starter. Yet he claims that Spaz was one of the only (if not only, I can't remember) coaches on the staff that would ask him how he was and knew his serious girlfriend's name. It's obvious that Spaz thinks part of his duty as HC is to keep a buffer between himself and the players. How could he not? It's all he knows from mentoring the garment distributor. Probably can be traced back to Welsh.

If a girl grew up watching daddy beat mommy, she's likely to think that's how the relationship works. Putting it in this context leads me to believe that while Spaz is the passive voice to Gene's, that he does actually agree with how things are done - because it's really all he knows.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
ConcernedEagle {l Wrote}:Many claim they have never actually spoken to the man - that he only communicates to them through position coaches.

Since hansen is whining, I'll add some CONTENT here, although it's nothing new.

I've stated several times that one of my best friends from BC played under TOB. He says that he maybe spoke to him once or twice over the course of his 4 years. And this isn't a walk-on, he was a 3 year starter. Yet he claims that Spaz was one of the only (if not only, I can't remember) coaches on the staff that would ask him how he was and knew his serious girlfriend's name. It's obvious that Spaz thinks part of his duty as HC is to keep a buffer between himself and the players. How could he not? It's all he knows from mentoring the garment distributor. Probably can be traced back to Welsh.

If a girl grew up watching daddy beat mommy, she's likely to think that's how the relationship works. Putting it in this context leads me to believe that while Spaz is the passive voice to Gene's, that he does actually agree with how things are done - because it's really all he knows.

Please move this post to the thread about Spaz's marriage.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium