2012 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2012 BC Football

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:12 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:At Notre Dame, they all but completely shut down the run. As a result, BC could have won that game (would have been the biggest win of the year.)

Against ND, BC allowed more than their yearly average on the ground. And again, our average was pretty average.

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:At Miami, they did a great job vs the run.

At home vs NCState, again, a great job vs the run.

Sure. Iguess. 122 from Miami, better than our average, not outstanding. NC St. didn't rush against us at all, so yeah. You got it.

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Against Maryland, a great job vs the run.

If you call almost 200 yards given up great, sure. Granted, it was in a freaking monsoon, but I don't see how giving up 5.5 ypc is a great job in any weather.

So one game you really nailed. Another (miami).. .sure you can claim that.

You also omitted the FSU game where we got throttled and that came in the middle of this stretch of games you highlighted. Oddly enough, because we gave up a scant 127 yards.

Last year, our offense couldn't score on anything. By default, that does not mean our defense was good, in either half of the year. On the contrary, we had a mediocre/sub-par defense and a god awful offense.

But yeah, they are going to kick ass this year, I agree.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am

By the way, looking at game stats from last year is depressing. We had 141 yards against UCF.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:By the way, looking at game stats from last year is depressing. We had 141 yards against UCF.

Remember when we rushed straight up the middle on first and second downs and then punted on 4th and 1 down 27 with over 4 minutes left?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:By the way, looking at game stats from last year is depressing. We had 141 yards against UCF.

Remember when we rushed straight up the middle on first and second downs and then punted on 4th and 1 down 27 with over 4 minutes left?

Was that before or after Rogers and Spaz had their fist fight?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Considering every report has it occuring at halftime... I also don't consider one sucker punch a fist fight.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:39 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Considering every report has it occuring at halftime... I also don't consider one sucker punch a fist fight.

Well the gentlemanly thing to do would have been for Spaz to ask Rogers to step outside when they went to dinner together at Applebees.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:45 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Well the gentlemanly thing to do would have been for Spaz to ask Rogers to step outside when they went to dinner together at Applebees.

If Rogers was given time to prepare, it's more likely Spaz would have curled up into a ball before shit got real.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:03 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

If Rogers was given time to prepare, it's more likely Spaz would have curled up into a ball before shit got real.

This.

I had a suspicion that the Rogers experiment would be a disaster in the making. I remember the first interview Kevin gave and they asked him about the offense he'd be running. He said, "...well, Coach Spaz makes the final call..." or something like that and I knew we were doomed. I certainly hope that this time around, Spaz either gave full control of the offense to Martin OR Martin is enough of a ballsy alphamale that he would risk his job right now by saying "....look I know went down with Rogers, either I make all the calls and deicisions of who plays and where they play or find another offensive coordinator." That is my hope.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:11 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

This.

I had a suspicion that the Rogers experiment would be a disaster in the making. I remember the first interview Kevin gave and they asked him about the offense he'd be running. He said, "...well, Coach Spaz makes the final call..." or something like that and I knew we were doomed. I certainly hope that this time around, Spaz either gave full control of the offense to Martin OR Martin is enough of a ballsy alphamale that he would risk his job right now by saying "....look I know went down with Rogers, either I make all the calls and deicisions of who plays and where they play or find another offensive coordinator." That is my hope.

At this point, there is no reason to believe he has learned from his many mistakes.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you can't claim you were suspecting disaster since your tune was "10-2, the players know how to win!!"
Last edited by Endless Mike on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:19 pm

all the talk about defense aside, and my opinion is that Miami will be able to pass the ball freely on BC tomorrow, and set up a lot of second and shorts, I posted this beofre last years season and it gets repeated again, there is absolutely no reason to believe in this team until they show they are capable of running an offense that is not in the bottom ten of most NCAA statistical categories as they have been for the last 2.5 years. Even when BC was bad in the henning days and early TOB, they would score, the Hasselback brothers put up points, the problem was that the had the Scott Bradley's(no offense) of the world, and I mean a 6 foot 1 linebacker weighing 225 pounds who ran a 4.9 40 from Hanover, all over the place on their defense, and couldnt stop anyone. VT , Miami, and WV used to put up 35 plus on us every game for years.

As for tomorrow, the Miami board is touting a freshman running back they have from Dade county who is supposed to be the second coming. apparently he is embarrassing the defense during the scrimmages. Very shifty apprently. they are saying he is the next great rb out of Miami and will be better than Edgerrin James and Willis McGahee.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:24 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:all the talk about defense aside, and my opinion is that Miami will be able to pass the ball freely on BC tomorrow, and set up a lot of second and shorts, I posted this beofre last years season and it gets repeated again, there is absolutely no reason to believe in this team until they show they are capable of running an offense that is not in the bottom ten of most NCAA statistical categories as they have been for the last 2.5 years. Even when BC was bad in the henning days and early TOB, they would score, the Hasselback brothers put up points, the problem was that the had the Scott Bradley's(no offense) of the world, and I mean a 6 foot 1 linebacker weighing 225 pounds who ran a 4.9 40 from Hanover, all over the place on their defense, and couldnt stop anyone. VT , Miami, and WV used to put up 35 plus on us every game for years.

As for tomorrow, the Miami board is touting a freshman running back they have from Dade county who is supposed to be the second coming. apparently he is embarrassing the defense during the scrimmages. Very shifty apprently. they are saying he is the next great rb out of Miami and will be better than Edgerrin James and Willis McGahee.

They HOPE he's better than Edgerrin James and Willis McGahee. He has yet to play a college football game. If they clobber BC, they clobber BC, but I have more faith in BC's defense stopping a true frosh rb than I do a true frosh rb being unstoppable.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:all the talk about defense aside, and my opinion is that Miami will be able to pass the ball freely on BC tomorrow, and set up a lot of second and shorts, I posted this beofre last years season and it gets repeated again, there is absolutely no reason to believe in this team until they show they are capable of running an offense that is not in the bottom ten of most NCAA statistical categories as they have been for the last 2.5 years. Even when BC was bad in the henning days and early TOB, they would score, the Hasselback brothers put up points, the problem was that the had the Scott Bradley's(no offense) of the world, and I mean a 6 foot 1 linebacker weighing 225 pounds who ran a 4.9 40 from Hanover, all over the place on their defense, and couldnt stop anyone. VT , Miami, and WV used to put up 35 plus on us every game for years.

fine. but is he better than alonzo highsmith and ottis anderson? then i'd worry.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:34 pm

That would be Duke Johnson, and I fully expect him to play tomorrow.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:24 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This.

Are these quotes the impending doom?

"It's only mid-August. Half the line is injured. They are playing young guys all over the place. Rogers will figure out who belongs where."

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9626&p=222381&hilit=rogers#p222381

"4-1 is as likely as 5-0. but they will go 8-4, irregardless"

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9493&p=218576&hilit=rogers#p218576

"bring in Rogers (because he knows what the fuck he is doing)"

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9442&p=216943&hilit=rogers#p216943

"This team with Tranq, with the tougher schedule, they still win 7. With Rogers, 8-4"

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9022&p=206471&hilit=rogers#p206471
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

"It's only mid-August. Half the line is injured. They are playing young guys all over the place. Rogers will figure out who belongs where."

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9626&p=222381&hilit=rogers#p222381

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9493&p=218576&hilit=rogers#p218576

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9442&p=216943&hilit=rogers#p216943

"This team with Tranq, with the tougher schedule, they still win 7. With Rogers, 8-4"

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9022&p=206471&hilit=rogers#p206471

stalker
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:35 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

stalker

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:15 pm

I've seen this happen to Betardo so many times. Now he's going to call Pedro immature. Damn summer reruns.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:25 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

stalker

b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Actually, no. I think that was a night of heavy drinking for most of us here.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:06 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Timestamp, mofos.

Eat it, nospace. This is not a good run defense.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:18 am

Timestamp, mofos.

I watched some of the game with a friend who is friends with one of the Cane asst coaches. He said he told him that Duke Johnson is the best FR RB ever at Miami.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Timestamp, mofos.

I watched some of the game with a friend who is friends with one of the Cane asst coaches. He said he told him that Duke Johnson is the best FR RB ever at Miami.

Frank Gore averaged nearly 10 yards a carry his freshman year. In light of that, you're drinking buddy's praise is very high.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This is a wonderful run stopping line

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:If BC sucks tomorrow, it will NOT be because of the defense.

209 yards later, it is fish and a barrel to bump up IB's proclamation's about our run defense.

But its still fun to do so.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:48 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Timestamp, mofos.

Frank Gore averaged nearly 10 yards a carry his freshman year. In light of that, you're drinking buddy's praise is very high.

The observation came from Art Kehoe, but I guess you would know better.
Post game, the assistant said that we did some things that they were not expecting, whatever that means.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This is a wonderful run stopping line

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:If BC sucks tomorrow, it will NOT be because of the defense.

209 yards later, it is fish and a barrel to bump up IB's proclamation's about our run defense.

But its still fun to do so.

Dude, our defensive players are all a year older!!! Being fair to retardo I had problems with Rogers and his interviews but it was he basically felated ND saying things along of the lines of hoping to be competitive with them and how much he missed being there. I thought that was a terrible sign and pointed to what I heard he was a coach desperate for a job. From the start it was all bad news. Gene hired him on a rec from his son for god sakes. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am

There was some more of 3-4 on 3rd down.

But it was still the CATATONIC CALZONE CUSHION!

The 3rd and 18 where we were in the 3-4 and dropping several of the 3 was embarrassing.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Herald Article, they've been destorying the globe in CONTENT!

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1061153503&srvc=sports&position=4

BC ’backers follow in line
St. Xavier adds 2 more
By Rich Thompson
Thursday, August 16, 2012 - Added 3 hours ago

Francis Xavier was a Jesuit missionary from Spain who spread the doctrines of Christianity to the far reaches of Asia in the Renaissance.

Five centuries later, St. Xavier became the patron saint of Boston College middle linebackers.

Sean Duggan and Steven Daniels began their football resumes at St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati, the same parochial institution that produced two-time All-American Luke Kuechly.

“It just kind of worked out that way that we came to Boston College after Luke,” said Duggan. “Playing with Luke last year was a great experience and you could learn a lot just being around him in game and practice.”

After bypassing his senior year, Kuechly — the most decorated defensive player in BC history — was taken ninth overall by the Carolina Panthers in last April’s NFL draft. Kuechly, Duggan and Daniels are unique in that they all play the same position, but they are just the latest round from St. Xavier to gravitate to Chestnut Hill.

Former BC and current North Carolina State coach Tom O’Brien is a St. Xavier alum who installed the pipeline. Prior to Kuechly, the Eagles recruited St. Xavier products Alex Albright (DE, 2006-10), Nick Larkin (DL, 2004-07), Pat Ross (C, 2003-05) and John Richardson (OL, 1999-01).

“It is definitely great to be a part of a tradition like that,” said Duggan, who practiced with the Eagles first defensive unit on Sunday and in last night’s intrasquad scrimmage at Alumni Stadium.

If Duggan can maintain what he established in the spring through training camp, he will be calling the defensive signals when the Eagles open the season against the Miami Hurricanes on Sept. 1 at Alumni Stadium.

Duggan played both offense and defense at St. Xavier, but learned the nuances of middle linebacker by studying hours of film with Kuechly and moved to the top of the depth chart with a workable knowledge of his duties in the middle of the Eagles defense.

“Every play we have to set the front, set the blitz and kind of make sure every one is in the right spot,” said Duggan. “We are kind of the vocal presence every single play, so if we don’t know what we are doing, the whole defense is kind of shaky.

“When we are in the game, you really have to be on top of what is going on.”

Kuechly played nearly every snap last year, so Duggan’s opportunities to advance as a true freshman were limited. He gained significant experience starting three games at weakside linebacker in place of Kevin Pierre-Louis, ultimately playing in 10 games and amassing 39 tackles (including eight against Maryland) with an interception.

“I think it definitely helps playing well last year and knowing where you are supposed to be,”said Duggan. “It will help my fit now because I’ll know where Kevin is supposed to be on the run plays and passing.

“The more positions you know the more comfortable you are with the whole defense.”

Daniels attended Worcester Academy after graduating from St. Xavier to fine-tune his football skills and get his academic house in order. He feels prep school provided a needed transitional component and that he’s ready to compete in Division 1.

“It went really well, I matured as a person and a football player and I came out of it with all positives,” said Daniels. “The place was great and the people were great.

“There is especially a speed difference from high school to prep school to college. Right now I’m just trying to lean on the older guys to help me out and learn the system.

“First you have to learn the system and then you move on from there. I like to get my body on the running back and wrap him up.”

John Richardson passed away this week... http://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school- ... rdson-dies
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:24 pm

I hadn't heard about Big John's death until reading this.

So awful; too young.
I was very close with John back in college. We had mutual friends. I can honestly say he was one of the nicest, most well rounded guys I've ever met. Just a great guy with a big heart.

Brief anecdote about him.

A group of us were on Martha's Vineyard playing two hand touch football on the beach. Now John was a big guy; 6+ feet, 300 something lbs probably. pretty quick & agile for his size though. So he went out for a route and i was defending him. he made a good cut, got open, made a catch, and had me beat. taking the game a little too seriously, i sprinted and then lunged at him, wrapped him up, and then pulled him down hard. it got real quiet because it was kind of bush league to do that in 2 hand touch. everyone was staring to see how he would respond. i thought he would be pissed (i would have been) but he just gets up, shakes the sand off, stretches out his hand to me, and says something to the effect of "that was a fine tackle. i cant even be mad at you for that".

Thoughts and prayers out to him and his family/friends.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:23 am

hansen {l Wrote}:I hadn't heard about Big John's death until reading this.

So awful; too young.
I was very close with John back in college. We had mutual friends. I can honestly say he was one of the nicest, most well rounded guys I've ever met. Just a great guy with a big heart.

Brief anecdote about him.

A group of us were on Martha's Vineyard playing two hand touch football on the beach. Now John was a big guy; 6+ feet, 300 something lbs probably. pretty quick & agile for his size though. So he went out for a route and i was defending him. he made a good cut, got open, made a catch, and had me beat. taking the game a little too seriously, i sprinted and then lunged at him, wrapped him up, and then pulled him down hard. it got real quiet because it was kind of bush league to do that in 2 hand touch. everyone was staring to see how he would respond. i thought he would be pissed (i would have been) but he just gets up, shakes the sand off, stretches out his hand to me, and says something to the effect of "that was a fine tackle. i cant even be mad at you for that".

Thoughts and prayers out to him and his family/friends.

You Johnny Utahed Big John? My only interaction with him was we picked him to be a Kairos leader and Tobias squashed it because of the time commitment. Came across as someone who understood why he was at BC was not just about football. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium