2012 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2012 BC Football

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Where did CJ Jones go? Thought he was battling ALJ for starting field corner. Foot injury????

Think his knee is bothering him.

Did we ever confirm who did his surgery?

I was wondering if he used the butcher. Good thing we don't use Welker's guy at MGH! He was 100% by September: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/ne ... id=4882708
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Where did CJ Jones go? Thought he was battling ALJ for starting field corner. Foot injury????

Think his knee is bothering him.

Did we ever confirm who did his surgery?

I was wondering if he used the butcher. Good thing we don't use Welker's guy at MGH! He was 100% by September: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/ne ... id=4882708

Why would you go to the #1 hospital in the country when you can go to St E's? For fucks sake, NE Baptist is around the corner as well and they specialize in Ortho. Time to realize there should be limits to what it means for BC to be a Jesuit institution.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bcfanbetweenthhedges on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 pm

We haven't used tight ends since Logan.........look for a good year from ... Miller!

With Luke gone we have the no-name defense crew....should be a hard hitting led by no-namer........ Josh Keyes

Biggest win of the year Miami.................... it's a must win!

What I'm really looking forward to is.................SpaZoo's retirement!

"Go EAGLES"
bcfanbetweenthhedges
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 pm

bcfanbetweenthhedges {l Wrote}:2012

We haven't used tight ends since Logan.........look for a good year from ... Miller!

With Luke gone we have the no-name defense crew....should be a hard hitting led by no-namer........ Josh Keyes

"Go EAGLES"

i miss when all of your posts were centered
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bcfanbetweenthhedges {l Wrote}:2012

"Go EAGLES"

i miss when all of your posts were centered

Agree completely
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Swigert update

Postby basselope on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Bobby sprained his knee 1.5 weeks ago in practice. He had a MRI that showed a MCL sprain but no tear.
He should have been avoiding contact for 3 weeks and then would have been ready to go for the opener, so not sure why he was even in WEDS scrimmage, but he is not one that likes to sit out, so I know why he was in there.

In the WEDS scrimmage another player rolled up that same knee. (basically the same thing that happen before)
The new MRI today shows a Grade 2 MCL tear, so he will be out 5 weeks or so.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:46 am

:suicide :suicide :suicide :suicide :suicide
NJM89
Campion Hall

Re: Swigert update

Postby BCdee on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:18 am

basselope {l Wrote}:Bobby sprained his knee 1.5 weeks ago in practice. He had a MRI that showed a MCL sprain but no tear.
He should have been avoiding contact for 3 weeks and then would have been ready to go for the opener, so not sure why he was even in WEDS scrimmage, but he is not one that likes to sit out, so I know why he was in there.

In the WEDS scrimmage another player rolled up that same knee. (basically the same thing that happen before)

Uggghhh, please tell him to rest up and get healthy! :(
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby basselope on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 am

basselope {l Wrote}:Bobby sprained his knee 1.5 weeks ago in practice. He had a MRI that showed a MCL sprain but no tear.

I should clarify a few things.

1. The 3 week comment is my assumption of what was needed, I am not a MD but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
2. They did a stabilty test on the knee before he was allowed to go back into practice and he must have passed.
3. They had him wearing a knee brace as precaution.
4. He obviously felt fine as he was able to take one 50 yds to the Endzone.
5. It is football, so even wearing a brace when a kid rolled up the back of his leg this shit happen.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:12 am

Disgraciad!

At this stage 5 weeks makes him looking at Clemson. Luckily we have a bye after NW. So the schedule will hopefully force him to wait till he's 100%.

Oh & timestamp...http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12180#wrap
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:58 am

basselope {l Wrote}:5. It is [spaz era BC] football, so even wearing a brace when a kid rolled up the back of his leg this shit happen[s] to one key position player in each August practice.

correction.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:13 am

:gun
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

basselope {l Wrote}:he is not one that likes to sit out, so I know why he was in there.

Nice work on the judgement call made by the coaches.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:29 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:

I should clarify a few things.

1. The 3 week comment is my assumption of what was needed, I am not a MD but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
2. They did a stabilty test on the knee before he was allowed to go back into practice and he must have passed.
3. They had him wearing a knee brace as precaution.
4. He obviously felt fine as he was able to take one 50 yds to the Endzone.
5. It is football, so even wearing a brace when a kid rolled up the back of his leg this shit happen.

Get well, Billy.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 am

Herald: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/coll ... ormat=text

Eagles to tackle young Miami QB
By Rich Thompson / BC Notebook | Monday, August 27, 2012 | http://www.bostonherald.com | College Football

Miami quarterback Stephen Morris resides in the same uncertain place that Boston College signal-caller Chase Rettig inhabited at this time last year.

Both dynamic young quarterbacks are looking for a successful new beginning when the Eagles host the Hurricanes in the 2012 season opener Saturday (3:30 p.m.) at Alumni Stadium.

Morris played in five games with one start, but spent most of 2011 as Jacory Harris’ backup. He completed 26-of-37 passes for 283 yards, 195 in his start against Maryland, with no touchdowns and two interceptions.

The 6-foor-2, 210-pound Miami native underwent offseason back surgery, but won over Hurricanes coach Al Golden in training camp. BC coach Frank Spaziani feels the sophomore and his receivers will be a good opening test for the Eagles’ young secondary.

“Stephen, from what I can deduce, is a very big league quarterback with skills,” said Spaziani. “You have to go back and look at the Maryland game that he started last year, and he hasn’t skipped a beat as far as their offense is concerned.

“They move the ball and score very well. I’m sure with a whole season of the system under his belt and the offseason and preseason, we are expecting an accomplished quarterback. He hasn’t been in a lot of plays, but he has been in games and been around. I’m sure he’s going to be well schooled.”

Rettig began the 2011 season with more experience than Morris has now, but under similar circumstances. Rettig enjoyed his best statistical day in the opener when he completed 24-of-44 passes for 351 yards in a 24-17 home loss to Northwestern.

Rettig experienced highs and lows over the next 11 games. He had respectable passing numbers but finished near the bottom of most categories in the quarterback-rich Atlantic Coast Conference. Spaziani feels experience has made Rettig a stronger passer and a better quarterback, and he expects big things against Miami.

“He’s matured and he has more control and 12 more games under his belt,” said Spaziani. “He’s had to handle a lot of adversity from last year and he’s had to deal with certain things.

“He is handling the team a lot better and the players have a different outlook about where he is, especially after the offseason and the summer. So he’s got that, but he needs to take the next step and we need to take the next step.”

Still no tight answer

Spaziani had all of training camp and four scrimmages to find a starting tight end, but the evaluation process remains ongoing.

The existing vacuum formed when senior Chris Pantale broke his foot in the first week of training camp. Pantale started 12 games last season and was on the John Mackey Award preseason watch list. C.J. Parsons out of Xaverian, Jarrett Darmstatter, Mike Naples, Liam Porter out of Natick and Dave Bowen were given fair opportunities to secure the job in the scrimmages. Freshman Mike Giacone, the top recruit in this year’s class, sat out the four scrimmages with a mild concussion.

“We have a couple different ways to go,” said Spaziani. “I think it is going to be by committee for a while until we figure it out.”

Pantale landed on the Mackey watch list from his efforts in last year’s finale, a 24-17 win at Miami, when he caught four passes for 70 yards, with touchdown receptions of 9 and 32 yards.

“It is certainly hard to say how much you are going to miss him; his performance was exemplary,” said Spaziani of Pantale. “He was a big part of our offense and he was experienced. We are going to miss him on all levels, not just production, and he certainly had a nice game last year. We’ll miss him and we’ll have to adapt.”

No backing down

Tailback Rolandan Finch is expected to practice today. Finch, the Eagles’ leading ball carrier last season, hurt his foot on a pass play in the third scrimmage on Aug.  19.

Tahj Kimble, BC’s third-down back, missed the first three scrimmages with a leg injury. Power runner Andre Williams was scratched from the third and fourth scrimmages because of the injuries to Kimble and Finch.

“We like our running backs. They have all been in games, they have all done things with different styles,” said Spaziani. “We are not about to rotate three guys in, but they are all ready to play and we have contingency plays.

“We’ll use them in our running game as we see fit, but we like to hand the ball to one guy most of the time.” . . .

Wide receiver Bobby Swigert, the team’s receptions leader last season, reinjured his leg in the final scrimmage and will likely miss the Miami game. Swigert caught a 50-yard touchdown pass from Rettig before the injury.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 am

Article in Globe:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/2012/08/27/loving-life-with-the-new/r1tJyu9V1X5xocxdqhu5xI/singlepage.html

BC loving life with the new OC
By Alex Prewitt
Globe Correspondent / August 27, 2012

An offense can only effectively function if a healthy relationship exists between the quarterback and the coordinator. They need to operate as extensions of each other. They go through everything together. Progressions, routes, strategies, and schemes. One mind, two bodies.

Since he matriculated at Boston College, Chase Rettig stood still as a revolving door of offensive coordinators spun through Chestnut Hill, each bringing a new system for the quarterback to learn on the fly.

And entering a pivotal campaign, both for the junior in his third season under center for the Eagles and for a program that’s trended toward the negative over the past few years and finished 2011 with a 4-8 record, Rettig and new coordinator Doug Martin were thrust into the offensive fire together.

Good thing they’ve become so close so quick.

“When he first got here, I told him, ‘Look, I want to do big things this year,’ ” Rettig said. “And he had the same mind-set. We have to work with each other. I have to be an extension. I’m just investing as much time as possible into football.”

Martin was hired late last year after seven seasons as Kent State’s head coach, but when he migrated to Boston in the spring, his family hadn’t yet made the move. “Look, I don’t have anything to do,” Martin texted Rettig. “No family, so just come by and watch football.”

Rettig stopped by the coach’s office every night. Together, they watched football, talked schemes, and got to know each other over pizza and subs.

“I think there has to be a great deal of trust for this thing to work,” Martin said. “I’m always eating something up here, and he’s always stealing it.

“He’s a student of the game, he wants to coach, he wants to learn. When a kid wants to be coached like that, it makes your job easy. He’s had to learn two or three different systems, and I think it’s paying off for you now, because he’s been exposed to different strategies and schemes, so when we start talking about it, he gets it.”

This season, the Eagles are transitioning to a multiple one-back offense, the passing game featuring West Coast route progressions with heavy play-action and plenty of timing routes. It’s what Martin has always done, from his seven seasons as the offensive coordinator at East Carolina to his time running the Golden Flashes.

“When you’re this multiple, you can fit tight ends in this scheme,” Martin said. “Four wideouts, it still works. One back, two backs, still works. No matter what your personnel, you should be able to adapt the offense.

“The biggest selling point was how fast our players learned the offense in the spring. Literally after the first week, they really understood what we’re doing. Then it becomes perfecting the skills and the techniques.”

Rettig struggled to grasp the mental components associated with quarterbacking at the college level through his first two seasons at BC, when he recorded 21 starts, including 20 straight. But he spent the offseason tediously pouring over film, flipping through the new playbook, learning a system he feels is better suited for the cerebral, given its potential for audibles at the line of scrimmage.

“Just his confidence has gone up,” said Bobby Swigert, a junior wide receiver and close friend of Rettig. “In practice he knows exactly what he’s doing every single time, he knows what to look for. He understands the offense. He knows the plays we run very well, he understands what they’re going to look like against certain defensive looks. As soon as he sees that, a trigger goes off in his head and he reacts from there. He’s definitely confident, playing faster, and going from there.”

Physically, Swigert pointed to Rettig’s “big-time arm,” the one that completed 13 of 17 passes for 196 yards and two touchdowns in the season finale, a 24-17 win at Miami. Martin reported that Rettig lost about 10 pounds over the summer, resulting in better scrambling capabilities and mobility in the pocket.

Over the years, Martin has become close friends with former BC offensive coordinator Steve Logan, who helped develop Matt Ryan into the ACC Player of the Year and the third overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft. Martin credits Logan with influencing his beliefs in quarterback play, and coaches the position in a similar manner. They vacationed together in North Carolina’s Emerald Isle on the Outer Banks, where Martin spoke about his newest quarterback, and Logan drew parallels to his situation with Ryan.

That relationship has translated into fall camp, where a “two-way street” has formed between quarterback and coordinator.

“[Rettig] and Doug get along real well,” coach Frank Spaziani said. “Doug is extremely high on his progression since he’s gotten here in the spring. We’re happy where he’s at. He’s making good decisions. I’ve said all along, Chase spends a lot of time. It’s important to him, we think he has the physical skills, and we think we have things in place for him to excel. We have the right platform for him, now we have to do it.”

But the biggest difference since Martin’s arrival, according to Rettig and Swigert, has been the calming influence Martin has brought to practices.

“He keeps things positive,” Rettig said. “As a person, you couldn’t ask for a more player’s coach. Sometimes you have coaches who distance themselves away from the players. I think the position he’s in, installing a new offense, he has to be close to us. It’s been fun so far.”

Easily approachable, Martin will break the tension by focusing on the next play. Just make up for it later, he says. Every turnover needs to lead to four explosion plays on the next drive. Any run of more than 10 yards and a pass of more than 15 yards has the Eagles thinking in a different direction.

“Now, Coach Martin is the type of guy, he understands what we’re thinking,” Swigert said. “We’re not playing afraid to mess up, we’re not intimidated of what’s going to happen if we mess up or looking right at him if we mess up, being scared. We’re just doing what we think is right, and I think he does a good job in handling that in the way he comes up to the huddle, says it’s all right if you mess up once or twice, but he realizes we’re getting acclimated to this offense.”

No longer afraid to make a mistake like in previous seasons, no longer burdened by the fear of repercussions, when Martin enters the huddle and cracks another joke during practice, the players working his new offense can’t help but burst out laughing.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Article in Globe:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/2012/08/27/loving-life-with-the-new/r1tJyu9V1X5xocxdqhu5xI/singlepage.html

By Alex Prewitt

An offense can only effectively function if a healthy relationship exists between the quarterback and the coordinator. They need to operate as extensions of each other. They go through everything together. Progressions, routes, strategies, and schemes. One mind, two bodies.

Since he matriculated at Boston College, Chase Rettig stood still as a revolving door of offensive coordinators spun through Chestnut Hill, each bringing a new system for the quarterback to learn on the fly.

And entering a pivotal campaign, both for the junior in his third season under center for the Eagles and for a program that’s trended toward the negative over the past few years and finished 2011 with a 4-8 record, Rettig and new coordinator Doug Martin were thrust into the offensive fire together.

“When he first got here, I told him, ‘Look, I want to do big things this year,’ ” Rettig said. “And he had the same mind-set. We have to work with each other. I have to be an extension. I’m just investing as much time as possible into football.”

Martin was hired late last year after seven seasons as Kent State’s head coach, but when he migrated to Boston in the spring, his family hadn’t yet made the move. “Look, I don’t have anything to do,” Martin texted Rettig. “No family, so just come by and watch football.”

Rettig stopped by the coach’s office every night. Together, they watched football, talked schemes, and got to know each other over pizza and subs.

“I think there has to be a great deal of trust for this thing to work,” Martin said. “I’m always eating something up here, and he’s always stealing it.

“He’s a student of the game, he wants to coach, he wants to learn. When a kid wants to be coached like that, it makes your job easy. He’s had to learn two or three different systems, and I think it’s paying off for you now, because he’s been exposed to different strategies and schemes, so when we start talking about it, he gets it.”

This season, the Eagles are transitioning to a multiple one-back offense, the passing game featuring West Coast route progressions with heavy play-action and plenty of timing routes. It’s what Martin has always done, from his seven seasons as the offensive coordinator at East Carolina to his time running the Golden Flashes.

“When you’re this multiple, you can fit tight ends in this scheme,” Martin said. “Four wideouts, it still works. One back, two backs, still works. No matter what your personnel, you should be able to adapt the offense.

“The biggest selling point was how fast our players learned the offense in the spring. Literally after the first week, they really understood what we’re doing. Then it becomes perfecting the skills and the techniques.”

Rettig struggled to grasp the mental components associated with quarterbacking at the college level through his first two seasons at BC, when he recorded 21 starts, including 20 straight. But he spent the offseason tediously pouring over film, flipping through the new playbook, learning a system he feels is better suited for the cerebral, given its potential for audibles at the line of scrimmage.

“Just his confidence has gone up,” said Bobby Swigert, a junior wide receiver and close friend of Rettig. “In practice he knows exactly what he’s doing every single time, he knows what to look for. He understands the offense. He knows the plays we run very well, he understands what they’re going to look like against certain defensive looks. As soon as he sees that, a trigger goes off in his head and he reacts from there. He’s definitely confident, playing faster, and going from there.”

Physically, Swigert pointed to Rettig’s “big-time arm,” the one that completed 13 of 17 passes for 196 yards and two touchdowns in the season finale, a 24-17 win at Miami. Martin reported that Rettig lost about 10 pounds over the summer, resulting in better scrambling capabilities and mobility in the pocket.

Over the years, Martin has become close friends with former BC offensive coordinator Steve Logan, who helped develop Matt Ryan into the ACC Player of the Year and the third overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft. Martin credits Logan with influencing his beliefs in quarterback play, and coaches the position in a similar manner. They vacationed together in North Carolina’s Emerald Isle on the Outer Banks, where Martin spoke about his newest quarterback, and Logan drew parallels to his situation with Ryan.

That relationship has translated into fall camp, where a “two-way street” has formed between quarterback and coordinator.

“[Rettig] and Doug get along real well,” coach Frank Spaziani said. “Doug is extremely high on his progression since he’s gotten here in the spring. We’re happy where he’s at. He’s making good decisions. I’ve said all along, Chase spends a lot of time. It’s important to him, we think he has the physical skills, and we think we have things in place for him to excel. We have the right platform for him, now we have to do it.”

But the biggest difference since Martin’s arrival, according to Rettig and Swigert, has been the calming influence Martin has brought to practices.

“He keeps things positive,” Rettig said. “As a person, you couldn’t ask for a more player’s coach. Sometimes you have coaches who distance themselves away from the players. I think the position he’s in, installing a new offense, he has to be close to us. It’s been fun so far.”

Easily approachable, Martin will break the tension by focusing on the next play. Just make up for it later, he says. Every turnover needs to lead to four explosion plays on the next drive. Any run of more than 10 yards and a pass of more than 15 yards has the Eagles thinking in a different direction.

“Now, Coach Martin is the type of guy, he understands what we’re thinking,” Swigert said. “We’re not playing afraid to mess up, we’re not intimidated of what’s going to happen if we mess up or looking right at him if we mess up, being scared. We’re just doing what we think is right, and I think he does a good job in handling that in the way he comes up to the huddle, says it’s all right if you mess up once or twice, but he realizes we’re getting acclimated to this offense.”

No longer afraid to make a mistake like in previous seasons, no longer burdened by the fear of repercussions, when Martin enters the huddle and cracks another joke during practice, the players working his new offense can’t help but burst out laughing.

This sounded like another filler piece at first, but there's actually some interesting info towards the end (Martin's relationship with Steve Logan and his coaching philosophy). And no mention of how things are different now...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

By Alex Prewitt

This sounded like another filler piece at first, but there's actually some interesting info towards the end (Martin's relationship with Steve Logan and his coaching philosophy). And no mention of how things are different now...

Great article and I actually think Martin sounds decent. But too little, too late? And while there may be an uptick in offensive production, the defense will likely take a step back this year and cancel out the improvement on offense.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

By Alex Prewitt

Great article and I actually think Martin sounds decent. But too little, too late? And while there may be an uptick in offensive production, the defense will likely take a step back this year and cancel out the improvement on offense.

defense does not take a step back this year
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Yeah, I think the defense will be fine if the right guys play
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 am

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082912aab.html

Q&A with Kasim Edebali
Junior defensive end discusses the upcoming season and much more.

Kasim Edebali

Aug. 29, 2012

A 6-foot-2, 258-pound defensive end from Hamburg, Germany, junior Kasim Edebali has played in 27 games in his first two seasons at Boston College. He is listed on top of the Boston College depth chart at his position for the team's season opener against Miami on Saturday, Sept. 1. Last November, Edebali registered three pass breaks against the Hurricanes in the season finale. Edebali sat down with bceagles.com on Wednesday to discuss the upcoming season and much more.

Tell us about your background. How did you arrive at Kimball Union Academy from Germany?

It all started back in Germany, I began playing for a team called the Hamburg Huskies when I was 10 years old. I then played for the German National Team and a few of my friends kept telling me about the USA Football International Program where European students can be offered scholarships to prep schools in the U.S. I got accepted into the program and went to Kimball Union for two years before BC ended up recruiting me.

How has attending Boston College helped to develop you - as a person and as a player?

Honestly, BC has been great. I have really enjoyed my time here and met so many people that have influenced me. The teachers, football coaches, and the team itself have done their part to make me a better person. Every aspect of this school has been really enjoyable for me.

How would you describe your game? Do you feel like rushing the passer is your strength or keeping contain and helping with the rush defense?

I think my biggest strength is my energy, I'm always running to the ball and always trying to make the tackle. Even though I may be 40 yards away from the ball carrier I'm always running full speed trying to catch up. Emmett Cleary gets annoyed sometimes because the ball isn't even nearby and I'm still going full speed. I can definitely say my biggest strength is my hustle.

What kind of player is Kaleb Ramsey? What does he bring to the defensive line as a whole?

Kaleb is a machine. Whenever he is out there, I'm really glad to be right next to him. I am certain that he is going to do his job because he is such a big part of the defensive line and I still look up to him because he keeps me going during practices and games.

Tell us about your relationship with linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis. What are some of his characteristics both on and off the field?

Kevin and I were neighbors freshman year and then we lived together for the last two years so we are very tight. I consider him one of my best friends even though I'm more of the super outgoing guy and he is more of the quiet guy. When we are together we have a good balance but on the field he isn't quiet anymore. Even though he is a linebacker and I'm a defensive end, all I need to do is give a look back to him and we both say to ourselves: "ok, let's go!"

Going up against the offense in scrimmages, who has surprised you in terms of improvement on the opposite side of the ball?

I think the entire offensive line has improved. I know because I have been going up against them every day, but on the whole, the guys who played last year have matured and developed into better players. I have gone up against Emmett Cleary and John Wetzel the last three years and they kept getting better and better. At the same time though, I appreciate it because it makes me a better player.

You had five pass break ups last year, including three against Miami. What are your objectives going into this year's game?

I'm just trying to build on from where I left off last season, being a better football player, and becoming a bigger factor on the defense so I can do my part to help the team win games. I just want to be there for the team and do whatever I can to help us achieve our goal of winning games. For batting passes down, it's a big coaching point that Coach Comissiong throws in there. We need to understand where we are in relationship to the quarterback and if we can't get there, we need to get our hands up.

What's your relationship with fellow German on the BC basketball team Patrick Heckmann? Do you meet regularly and converse in German?

I was happy when I heard about Patrick coming here because I don't speak a lot of German anymore and I have someone I can relate to. So whenever we talk we'll usually talk in German so I can keep it fresh in my mind. My German isn't as good as it used to be! My mom even tells me it isn't so good anymore, but seriously, I'm glad that Patrick is here because we are good friends and it's cool to have another German student-athlete here at BC.

Would be nice if we could get any pressure, let alone consistent pressure from our DEs to cover up some of the questions at CB
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 am

Fire up the Millennium Falcon

I don’t know what goes through their mind as far as that. But it’s their team. They’re playing for themselves, their school, and all the work they’ve put in. That’s who you’re playing for, it’s as simple as that. We think we have good leadership, and we’ve got the respect of the team, we’ve had it always. I don’t think that plays into anything.

If a spaceship came down and took me away tomorrow, it’s [still] their team. At the end of the year, they’re gonna look at the record, and it’s what they did. I think that’s a healthy way to approach it.

— Frank Spaziani on if he thought the team might be playing to show they had his back

http://heightssports.tumblr.com/post/30542805689/i-dont-know-what-goes-through-their-mind-as-far
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082912aab.html

Q&A with Kasim Edebali
Junior defensive end discusses the upcoming season and much more.

Kasim Edebali

Aug. 29, 2012

A 6-foot-2, 258-pound defensive end from Hamburg, Germany, junior Kasim Edebali has played in 27 games in his first two seasons at Boston College. He is listed on top of the Boston College depth chart at his position for the team's season opener against Miami on Saturday, Sept. 1. Last November, Edebali registered three pass breaks against the Hurricanes in the season finale. Edebali sat down with bceagles.com on Wednesday to discuss the upcoming season and much more.

Tell us about your background. How did you arrive at Kimball Union Academy from Germany?

It all started back in Germany, I began playing for a team called the Hamburg Huskies when I was 10 years old. I then played for the German National Team and a few of my friends kept telling me about the USA Football International Program where European students can be offered scholarships to prep schools in the U.S. I got accepted into the program and went to Kimball Union for two years before BC ended up recruiting me.

How has attending Boston College helped to develop you - as a person and as a player?

Honestly, BC has been great. I have really enjoyed my time here and met so many people that have influenced me. The teachers, football coaches, and the team itself have done their part to make me a better person. Every aspect of this school has been really enjoyable for me.

How would you describe your game? Do you feel like rushing the passer is your strength or keeping contain and helping with the rush defense?

I think my biggest strength is my energy, I'm always running to the ball and always trying to make the tackle. Even though I may be 40 yards away from the ball carrier I'm always running full speed trying to catch up. Emmett Cleary gets annoyed sometimes because the ball isn't even nearby and I'm still going full speed. I can definitely say my biggest strength is my hustle.

What kind of player is Kaleb Ramsey? What does he bring to the defensive line as a whole?

Kaleb is a machine. Whenever he is out there, I'm really glad to be right next to him. I am certain that he is going to do his job because he is such a big part of the defensive line and I still look up to him because he keeps me going during practices and games.

Tell us about your relationship with linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis. What are some of his characteristics both on and off the field?

Kevin and I were neighbors freshman year and then we lived together for the last two years so we are very tight. I consider him one of my best friends even though I'm more of the super outgoing guy and he is more of the quiet guy. When we are together we have a good balance but on the field he isn't quiet anymore. Even though he is a linebacker and I'm a defensive end, all I need to do is give a look back to him and we both say to ourselves: "ok, let's go!"

Going up against the offense in scrimmages, who has surprised you in terms of improvement on the opposite side of the ball?

I think the entire offensive line has improved. I know because I have been going up against them every day, but on the whole, the guys who played last year have matured and developed into better players. I have gone up against Emmett Cleary and John Wetzel the last three years and they kept getting better and better. At the same time though, I appreciate it because it makes me a better player.

You had five pass break ups last year, including three against Miami. What are your objectives going into this year's game?

I'm just trying to build on from where I left off last season, being a better football player, and becoming a bigger factor on the defense so I can do my part to help the team win games. I just want to be there for the team and do whatever I can to help us achieve our goal of winning games. For batting passes down, it's a big coaching point that Coach Comissiong throws in there. We need to understand where we are in relationship to the quarterback and if we can't get there, we need to get our hands up.

What's your relationship with fellow German on the BC basketball team Patrick Heckmann? Do you meet regularly and converse in German?

I was happy when I heard about Patrick coming here because I don't speak a lot of German anymore and I have someone I can relate to. So whenever we talk we'll usually talk in German so I can keep it fresh in my mind. My German isn't as good as it used to be! My mom even tells me it isn't so good anymore, but seriously, I'm glad that Patrick is here because we are good friends and it's cool to have another German student-athlete here at BC.

Would be nice if we could get any pressure, let alone consistent pressure from our DEs to cover up some of the questions at CB

There will be no pressure on the Miami QB, whichever one it is. BC defensive linemen suck at pass rush (particularly the ones we have this year.) What this defensive line will do, is stop the run. They will stay in their lanes and force the running back to run way outside the tackle where KPL, Clancy, and Devitto will eat them for breakfast. The only way BC stops the pass is by dropping seven into pass coverage and hoping for the best.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}: BC defensive linemen suck at pass rush (particularly the ones we have this year.)

Jury's still out on that. There are three sophomores and a RS FR on the two-deep. And that doesn't include Appiah, who's now injured, apparently. If there's anyone I would expect to put more faith in the leap from year one to year two as a player, I thought it would be you.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:50 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}: BC defensive linemen suck at pass rush (particularly the ones we have this year.)

Jury's still out on that. There are three sophomores and a RS FR on the two-deep. And that doesn't include Appiah, who's now injured, apparently. If there's anyone I would expect to put more faith in the leap from year one to year two as a player, I thought it would be you.

Meh. We'll see. I don't expect much of a pass rush, but I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong. This is a wonderful run stopping line, particularly against an offense that runs out of the power-I/Pro-Set. Their weakness (as I see it) is the scrambling QB out of the Triple-option. I don't think they have a prayer against Georgia Tech this year.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Meh. We'll see. I don't expect much of a pass rush, but I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong. This is a wonderful run stopping line, particularly against an offense that runs out of the power-I/Pro-Set. Their weakness (as I see it) is the scrambling QB out of the Triple-option. I don't think they have a prayer against Georgia Tech this year.

1) Why is it a good run-stopping line all of a sudden when we couldn't stop anything last year?

There is no two.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

1) Why is it a good run-stopping line all of a sudden when we couldn't stop anything last year?

There is no two.

1) They are a year older

There is no two (although Bill McGovern tasty balls would be a possibility).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This is a wonderful run stopping line, particularly against an offense that runs out of the power-I/Pro-Set. Their weakness (as I see it) is the scrambling QB out of the Triple-option. I don't think they have a prayer against Georgia Tech this year.

What makes you say this is a good run stopping line? Because Ramsey is back? The unit was middle of the pack last year, allowing 151 ypg and 4.27 ypc. It's hardly a given that they will effectively stop the run this year.

Have we seen a Spaz coached team play against the triple option since that bowl game against Navy in 2006? Their weakness isn't scrambling QBs, it's QBs who can get out of the pocket and throw on the run, because the DL lack closing speed and the Spaz cushion is useless if you can't force the QB to get rid of the ball quickly.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

There is no two.

There IS two. There is the beginning of the year and the end of the year. They became "good" by the end of the year.

At Notre Dame, they all but completely shut down the run. As a result, BC could have won that game (would have been the biggest win of the year.)

At Miami, they did a great job vs the run.

At home vs NCState, again, a great job vs the run.

Against Maryland, a great job vs the run.

Earlier in the year, they sucked. But they got good. This defense really came together at the end of the year, particularly against the run. You could see it just in the way they played even at VPI (holding them to a field goal almost all the way to the 4th quarter.)

If BC sucks tomorrow, it will NOT be because of the defense.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:04 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This is a wonderful run stopping line, particularly against an offense that runs out of the power-I/Pro-Set. Their weakness (as I see it) is the scrambling QB out of the Triple-option. I don't think they have a prayer against Georgia Tech this year.

What makes you say this is a good run stopping line? Because Ramsey is back? The unit was middle of the pack last year, allowing 151 ypg and 4.27 ypc.

And that was with Keuchly wrapping everything up in the 2nd level, usually, too.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium