2012 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2012 BC Football

Postby Fire Spaz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:36 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'll take 14-21 for 259 and a TD every game.

If Rettig is throwing 1 TD / game, we're screwed but I get your point.

He throws for 259 yards with only one TD and no picks, there are probably 2-3 rushing TDs in that game. And if he has 259 yards on only 14 throws and 67% completions, they are likely ahead.

What Teddy said.

14-for-21 and 259 yards with a TD and no INTs means BC wins...

...every single time.

There isn't an opponent that BC faces this regular season with a dynamic enough offense to overcome 259 passing yards on just 21 attempts with no INTs. I mean Clemson and FSU are real good (Clemson really-really good) but if you are giving up 259 yards passing and no INTs, unless your defense hold BC to 0 yards rushing (wont happen) you are going to lose.

Irony says that OUR defense just gave up 259 yards on 14-21 passing.

Logic says that if our defense gave up 259 yards on the worst offense in the leauge last year then likely more than just the two teams that we play from the SEC can rack up that many as well.

An innocent bystander says that you are too stupid to be rooting for Boston College. Do you go to Bunker Hill?
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'll take 14-21 for 259 and a TD every game.

If Rettig is throwing 1 TD / game, we're screwed but I get your point.

He throws for 259 yards with only one TD and no picks, there are probably 2-3 rushing TDs in that game. And if he has 259 yards on only 14 throws and 67% completions, they are likely ahead.

What Teddy said.

14-for-21 and 259 yards with a TD and no INTs means BC wins...

...every single time.

There isn't an opponent that BC faces this regular season with a dynamic enough offense to overcome 259 passing yards on just 21 attempts with no INTs. I mean Clemson and FSU are real good (Clemson really-really good) but if you are giving up 259 yards passing and no INTs, unless your defense hold BC to 0 yards rushing (wont happen) you are going to lose.

Irony says that OUR defense just gave up 259 yards on 14-21 passing.

Logic says that if our defense gave up 259 yards on the worst offense in the leauge last year then likely more than just the two teams that we play from the SEC can rack up that many as well.

An innocent bystander says that you are too stupid to be rooting for Boston College. Do you go to Bunker Hill?

I don't think you are going to find too many examples (well, really ANY examples) of real game day experiences at the BCS level where a QB gets 12.4 yards per attempt.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 pm

I hate it when IB talks about the box scores he's read.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I hate it when IB talks about the box scores he's read.

Chase his 12.4 ypa in a game where he's thrown more than 15 passes, we're all set.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I hate it when IB talks about the box scores he's read.

Chase his 12.4 ypa in a game where he's thrown more than 15 passes, we're all set.

Foot, he's showing you up now.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:14 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Can we have a conversation about Chase getting his completion percentage over 55% before we start with hypotheticals like this one?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:16 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Can we have a conversation about Chase getting his completion percentage over 55% before we start with hypotheticals like this one?

Yeah, but we're bored..
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm

What's the problem? Chase is over 55% if you count all completions no matter what jersey catches them. Jeez. :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:What's the problem? Chase is over 55% if you count all completions no matter what jersey catches them. Jeez. :81

touche
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Yeah, but we're bored..

This is the most egregious thumbing-of-nose since fagageddon II.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:51 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Yeah, but we're bored..

summer of dicks is over

gridiron time baby
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh Jacen, you are quite the humorist!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:04 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Yeah, but we're bored..

summer of dicks is over

gridiron time baby

says who?

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:17 am

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Yeah, but we're bored..

summer of dicks is over

gridiron time baby

uh, no. you're forgetting indian SOD.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

He sure is.

Yeah, but we're bored..

summer of dicks is over

gridiron time baby

It's an ENDLESS summer of dicks!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:The Globe (Julian Benbow?):

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/f ... story.html

Good news on Kimble, it looks like he's going to play. Question is Finch.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 am

Once again the Herald kicking the globe's ass in coverage

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/20220822gallik_takes_center_stage_for_bc/

Andy Gallik takes center stage for Boston College
By Rich Thompson
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - Added 8 hours ago

Andy Gallik comes from a place where big things are expected of big, young men.

And when he chose to play center for Boston College, the standards were set even higher.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound sophomore from Evergreen Park, Ill., grew into his imposing frame at Brother Rice High in Chicago. From there Gallik gravitated toward the football institution known as O-Line U.

Gallik has been practicing and scrimmaging with the first unit along with another Illinois prototype, senior captain Emmett Cleary, a 6-7, 313-pound tackle from Arlington Heights. Both Gallik and Cleary had their pick of colleges in the Midwest, but they chose BC for the same reason.

“I can’t explain it except to say with us, it’s kind of a Midwest thing,” Gallik said. “I come from a place where we just have a lot of big linemen that stand out.

“With BC it was the whole O-Line U thing. We all knew all about that. That was certainly one of the things that attracted me to BC.”

Gallik played in nine games with three starts as a redshirt freshman last season. But he and sophomore Harris Williams of Lynn are the novices along the Eagles line. Cleary, right tackle John Wetzel and guard Ian White started a combined 35 games last season, and they form a nucleus that isn’t easily impressed.

“I’m progressing from the experience I have under my belt from last year, and that was huge for me,” Gallik said. “Coming into the summer with group workouts and individual drills, I kind of stepped into a new leadership role.

“I would say more vocally. Whenever I’m in the huddle, I feel like it’s my huddle making all the calls and IDs at the line of scrimmage. I feel now I can be a go-to guy. Early on, guys like Cleary and Wetzel took me under their wing. They helped me to be the best I can be.”

The player who had the most influence on Gallik is the one he was groomed to replace. Center Mark Spinney of Westford was the anchor of the Eagles line and an excellent run and pass blocker. Spinney understood the intense mental and physical commitments an offense demands from its center. He passed that knowledge along to his likely successor.

“Mark was probably my best friend last year. Of all the guys, I spent most of my time with him,” Gallik said. “Even when we were hanging out outside of football, we would talk about things I needed to either learn or work on.

“He was a tremendous tutor for me. I always spent time after practice with him watching film. He was just a great mentor.”

BC coach Frank Spaziani had some serious turnover with his offensive coaches during the offseason. He brought in Doug Martin to organize the schemes and former Ohio State offensive coordinator Jim Bollman to coach the offensive line and running backs.

“All the guys on the offensive line, when we found out, were really excited,” Gallik said. “We searched his name and screened his resume with all those accomplishments he had at Ohio State.

“The new techniques he’s been teaching, we are doing really well with them. He brought new energy and a new style of coaching, and it wasn’t difficult to grasp onto. We’ve been really close to coach Bollman.”

Gallik will further tune his skills during today’s final team scrimmage at Alumni Stadium. He will be delivering the ball to quarterback Chase Rettig for real when the Eagles host Miami in the season opener Sept. 1.

We have explosive guys at the skill positions in a high-tempo, one-back offense,” Gallik said. “We are just excited to play the first game because we know we can spread the field and put a lot of points up.

“We know we have the guys on the line to do that, and we are just ready to play.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/20220821asprilla_turns_corner_everett_star_to_start/

Asprilla turns corner
Everett star to start
By Rich Thompson
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 -

Boston College sophomore Manny Asprilla applies his wide receiver’s insights and instincts to playing cornerback.

Asprilla played on both sides of the ball while earning Herald All-Scholastic honors at powerhouse Everett High School, but he garnered more acclaim for his feats on offense.

That perspective was flipped upside down when Asprilla arrived at Boston College. He became a successful coverage convert by reorganizing the skills and traits that made him a high-profile receiver at Everett. Asprilla caught 40 passes for 1,066 yards and 14 touchdowns his senior year.

“If I’m playing jam corner, because I played wide receiver, I know a wide receiver is going to try and juke me with head fakes and body movements,” Asprilla said prior to team meetings yesterday at Alumni Stadium.

“I would know that’s what they are doing. Or the way they are running their routes, slow or fast. I would know if they are blocking and if the ball is coming to my side. Knowing that all just helps me out.”

Knowledge might constitute power, but it didn’t guarantee an uneventful transition from Everett to the Atlantic Coast Conference for the 5-foot-10, 167-pound speedster.

Asprilla is a better cornerback today than he was last year, when he played in nine games and started the last four. Asprilla finished with 12 solo tackles, 18 assists, two tackles for loss, a sack and three passes defensed.

“Here I was in the ACC where everyone was either the captain of their high school team or the best player,” said Asprilla. “Everybody is fast, everybody is big and you have to give 110 percent on every play.”

The Eagles offense experienced an extensive transformation following the 2011 season, but coach Frank Spaziani kept his defensive team in place under coordinator Bill McGovern.

Asprilla appreciates the stability of playing for the same coaches in the same packages. The Eagles’ continuity on defense has allowed Asprilla to work on his skills and techniques without being bogged down with a new vocabulary.

That doesn’t mean Asprilla has stopped evolving as a cover corner. He came into training camp atop the depth chart as the boundary corner. But he played field corner with the first unit in Sunday night’s scrimmage and intercepted quarterback Chase Rettig in the red zone. Asprilla was pressed into service on the field side when Al Jean-Louis of Brockton broke his foot in practice Aug. 13.

“Nothing’s really changed from last year with the play-calling, so I didn’t have to learn nothing new,” said Asprilla. “Last year when I was a freshman I didn’t know what I was doing out there, but now that I’m doing things over again, I can look at films and see where I was weak or messed up.

“I feel I have a good relationship with the coaches on the defense and they let me know what to work on to get better.”

Asprilla’s acclimation to the college game gained traction as the season progressed because a friend from the old neighborhood always had his back. BC senior safety Jim Noel provided motivation, advice and a menacing presence whenever Asprilla went up against a top receiver.

Noel tops the depth chart at strong safety, and there could be two former Everett playmakers in the Eagles secondary when BC hosts the Miami Hurricanes in the season opener on Sept. 1 at Alumni Stadium.

“Jim showed me a lot of things, especially at first when I was struggling,” said Asprilla. “I felt like I didn’t fit in and I didn’t understand and I couldn’t understand what was going on because I was really an offensive player in high school.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:59 am

Globe: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/f ... story.html

In January, when word started circulating around the Boston College football team that coach Frank Spaziani was hiring Jim Bollman as his new offensive line coach, the first thing the linemen did was go to the Internet to check Bollman’s credentials.

“As soon as we all heard,” said captain and senior left tackle Emmett Cleary, “we Googled him.”

His résumé was impossible to question. He has been coaching more than 30 years. After he finished a four-year playing career in the trenches at Ohio University, in 1977, he went straight to Miami University (Ohio) to coach the offensive line.

From there, he spent time on the sidelines at several places, including the Atlantic Coast Conference with North Carolina State and Virginia and the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears.

He spent the past 11 years at Ohio State as offensive line coach and offensive coordinator. While he was there, the Buckeyes won seven Big Ten titles, a national title in 2002, and Bollman watched 10 of his linemen go on to the NFL.

When Bollman introduced himself to his new players, he didn’t show them his ring. He didn’t need to.

“He’s pretty understated,” Cleary said. “He wouldn’t be rocking that around. But we all know. Obviously, his credibility speaks for itself. So he had no problems selling himself to the new guys when he walked in.”

That was what Bollman was counting on after leaving Columbus, where he was a loyal soldier of Jim Tressel’s. When Ohio State hired Urban Meyer as head coach last November, the writing was on the wall for Bollman. And when Spaziani called him about the opportunity at BC, it made sense because of the long list of mutual connections they had, as well as the mutual respect.

“I’ve been doing this a long time,” Bollman said. “What I was really looking for was the chance to be with some great people, and this is a very quality university. I knew it would be a great environment to come work in. It’s just an old-fashioned deal of being around good people every day. It’s fun to get up and go to work.”

Leaving Ohio State was bittersweet, and the most important factor in coming to BC was the people he’d work around on a daily basis.

“I’m thankful that I had a chance to coach there,” he said. “I was there 11 years and we had a great run. In this racket, you’re fortunate if you’re lucky to be anywhere that long, let alone Ohio State.

“So that was a neat experience. Times change. Things move on. Coaches change for one of a million reasons. Coaches go along with the racket, but I’m grateful to have that chance and I’m very grateful to have this chance.”

He walks into a situation where players such as Cleary, a fifth-year senior, John Wetzel, and Ian White have a wealth of experience.

“It’s great to be able to draw from their leadership,” Bollman said. “They’ve been around the block a few times.”

But there are also younger guys who were thrown into the mix last year either because of injuries or because of the numbers game with the roster, including sophomore guard Bobby Vardaro, sophomore center Andy Gallik, and sophomore tackles Aaron Kramer and Seth Betancourt, all of whom Bollman sees as being contributors.

“It’s good to have some of those guys who’ve been in the mix already,” Bollman said. “There’s a really good mix of experience and youth and a good base to learn from, so it’s a good bunch to coach.”

Because he was hired so early, Bollman had the chance to get to know his players during spring practices. He was able to see the way they had learned to do things, they got a chance to hear the things he planned to do, and they were able to meet in the middle.

Having Cleary makes the transition smoother, Bollman said, especially in terms of players adopting new terminology or Bollman understanding what the players were accustomed to hearing.

“He’s really an intelligent player,” Bollman said. “He’s really an intelligent human being and he carries that over to the field. He can recognize and see and communicate very, very, very well. It makes things much smoother when a guy like himself is there.”

Cleary will make the switch from right tackle to left tackle, the glamour position on the line, if there is such a thing. He has had to learn new footwork, blocking techniques, and the playbook. Bollman’s style, Cleary said, is different, but it pushes him.

“He focuses on a lot of different techniques, so I feel like I’ve been challenged to fill in gaps of my game,” Cleary said. “He’s a great technique coach. He’s been around. He’s got a lot of little tricks that work, and he seems like a good game-planner as we kind of start looking forward to Miami [in the Sept. 1 opener].”

They’re the kinds of things that don’t show up in a Google search.

“So,” Cleary said, “I’m excited about working through the season with him.”
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 am

Man the Herald loves their puns.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Last scrimmage today. kimble, Appiah and Swigert are back.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Ramsey out, again. He has to be up there with Toal & Garay on the always injured team.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Kimble is playing with the first team. First drive 5 play 70 yards with a 50 touchdown catch from Bobby.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:36 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Kimble is playing with the first team. First drive 5 play 70 yards with a 50 touchdown catch from Bobby.

O-line seems to have had a good start
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Ramsey out, again. He has to be up there with Toal & Garay on the always injured team.

Rosintano was out yesterday as well.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:46 am

Herald:

Bobby Swigert, Chase Rettig know score
By Rich Thompson / BC Notebook | Thursday, August 23, 2012 | http://www.bostonherald.com | College Football
Receiver Bobby Swigert reached the end zone in his debut with the first-team offense in yesterday’s final scrimmage at Alumni Stadium.

Swigert sat out the first two scrimmages and was limited to fair catching punts in the third while recovering from an unspecified leg problem. The 6-foot-1, 186-pound junior from Louisville, Ohio, reconnected with quarterback Chase Rettig on the opening series yesterday.

With the ball at midfield, Rettig took a deep drop and eyed Swigert on a tight post route down the middle of the field. Swigert split the safeties, caught Rettig’s pass in stride and raced 20 additional yards for a score.

“Our defense rolled the cover-2 and he had the middle read, so everything worked out well,” Rettig said. “He made a good run after the catch.”

Swigert became Rettig’s go-to receiver last year after fifth-year senior Ifeanyi Momah suffered a knee injury in the opener against Northwestern. Swigert caught 44 passes for 470 yards and three touchdowns, and he had a career-high nine receptions against Wake Forest. Swigert likely will start in the slot when the Eagles host Miami on Sept. 1 in the season opener.

“Bobby is a crucial part of our offense and a good receiver,” BC coach Frank Spaziani said.

Swigert took a sideline hit later in practice but left under his own power.

Freese won’t ice

Kicker Nate Freese got the cold treatment from defensive coordinator Bill McGovern during a tense situational test on the final plays of the scrimmage.

The simulated game was in overtime with the first unit down, 24-21. On fourth down from the 20, Freese came onto the field intent on tying the game. McGovern called consecutive timeouts in an attempt to ice Freese. The junior was unfazed by the ploy and split the uprights from 37 yards.

Freese made his first eight field goal attempts in the four scrimmages but missed a 40-yarder on the next possession under the same circumstances.

“We were trying to freeze him out, sort of freeze Freese,” Spaziani said. “That is what the opposing team would have done. It didn’t work on that one, but it did on the next one.”

Tough running

Sophomore tailback Tahj Kimble was back on the field after missing the first three scrimmages with a leg injury. Kimble is the Eagles’ third-down option, but injuries forced him to be an every-down player for the scrimmage. Kimble was routinely wrapped up by the second defense and finished with 26 yards on seven carries.

Rolandan Finch, last season’s leading rusher, sprained his foot in the second scrimmage and has not practiced since. Power runner Andre Williams was healthy, but Spaziani elected to keep him on ice for the last two scrimmages as a precaution.

“(Finch) looks like he’s making progress, but that’s going to be this weekend,” Spaziani said. “I feel optimistic about it, but you know how that goes.

“(Williams) is fine and Tahj just got back. I wanted to get Tahj some work today, get him into a rhythm until (Finch) comes around.” . . .

Rettig was 7-of-13 for 130 yards in his final tuneup, and he’s anxious to turn the corner and start game-planning for Miami.

Rettig likely will start the season with Swigert, Colin Larmond and Alex Amidon as his receivers. Rettig has adapted the new schemes and fast tempo under first-year offensive coordinator Doug Martin and wants to test them against the Hurricanes defense.

“There are a whole bunch of different concepts, but now we get to game-plan stuff,” Rettig said. “It will be strictly things that are in the game plan that we’ll be calling in (practice) unless there’s a change.

“Now guys can focus in on Miami.”
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:29 pm

BC DB 2deep in the final scrimmage prior to Miami game: Asprilla and McCaffrey with Noel and Keyes. Second team was Bryce Jones, Ameer Richardson with Sylvia and Zach Wolfe. :suicide
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Where did CJ Jones go? Thought he was battling ALJ for starting field corner. Foot injury????
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Where did CJ Jones go? Thought he was battling ALJ for starting field corner. Foot injury????

Think his knee is bothering him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Where did CJ Jones go? Thought he was battling ALJ for starting field corner. Foot injury????

Think his knee is bothering him.

Did we ever confirm who did his surgery?
31southst
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium