Joe Paterno dies at 85

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Joe Paterno dies at 85

Postby hansen on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:23 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Guilty on 45 of 48 counts. Thank the fuckin' lord. My faith in humanity is mildly restored.

This
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Absolutely right on. Abuse of power and a complete classic case of lack of institutional control. NCAA needs to shut Penn State football program down, with the death penalty, and the AG Kelly seems to hint that there is more to come on this one. We all laugh and joke about the SEC football factories and their complete lack of academic considerations, and yet what PSU just pulled off the last 15 years (Sandusky charges go back this far and perhaps further) is a complete farce, with Joe Paterno, the one who had complete power and the ability to stop these crimes, and he punted. The Penn State brand needs to be obliterated, and after 10 or 15 years, perhaps they can try again, with some proper checks and balances.

Fox News reporter claims that he was told that Curley and another, offered to plea bargain with testimony against higher ups. ( I missed who he might implicate) Classic slam dunk case for the NCAA to show some courage, and I think the Feds are embarassed enough to ask the NCAA to lay the hammer down.

Penn State University is not SMU. There will be no death penalty. Imposing the Death Penaly on one the largest public universities in the country (the one most of the United States thinks of when they think at ALL about college football in the Northeast) would be the NCAA purposely shooting itself in the foot and cutting its nose off to spite the face on moral principle. Are you kidding me, the two most highly recruited high school football players in the 2012 class from the state of Massachusetts will be wearing blue and white (not Maroon and Gold) in September (and they both KNEW about what was happening at Penn State and they still wanted to go there.) That is power, real noterity. For the NCAA to knowingly destroy that, it would cost the sport (easy) $50,000,000 a year in tv value and clout. Easy. NFW does the NCAA willingly self-lobomize financially by clipping off the testicles of one of the twenty or so true CABAL schools.

Wiil. Not. Happen.

Now, SHOULD IT HAPPEN? Does PSU deserve an SMU Death Penalty (a penalty that SMU really never fully recovered from?) That is an entirely different question. Yes, they should. Too much corruption here, far too many innocent lives have been destroyed as a result of the actions of this fucking animal that got locked up today, an animal that pretty much everyone in a position of power at PSU was informed about, and they sat on the information. Terrible. Deplorable. Disgusting. No excuses. They should be punished, made an example of to the rest of college football.

Won't happen.

It might not be up to the NCAA.

It's been intimated that the feds and the gov't have been involved in this to some degree and might exert some pressure on the NCAA to swing the ban hammer. Obviously you're right that the NCAA won't do it on their own for the reasons you stated, but they're going to look REAL bad if they try and push back at the government, if in fact the rumors are true.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:19 pm

:fam

That post-verdict press conference by Sandusky's greaseball attorney was a fuckin joke. My wife and I would look at each other in disbelief approx every 60-90 seconds, say nothing, and go back to watching. His reaction when the crowd cheered about Sandusky dying in jail was cringe-inducing.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am

There's a special ring of hell reserved for paterno
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:47 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:There's a special ring of hell reserved for paterno

Yeah, he deserves worse than Kirby Puckett's ring.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:37 am

The Sports Reporters on ESPN spoke about Penn State and the e-mails that showed Curley and crew decided not to report Sandusky, after conversing with Paterno. Curley and administrators decided they could handle Sandusky in house, without reporting the incident(s) to police etc. Department of Justice and Louis Freeh need to wrap up their investigations, and come forth with a sledgehammer.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:15 pm

These are very bad men.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:35 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:The Sports Reporters on ESPN spoke about Penn State and the e-mails that showed Curley and crew decided not to report Sandusky, after conversing with Paterno. Curley and administrators decided they could handle Sandusky in house, without reporting the incident(s) to police etc. Department of Justice and Louis Freeh need to wrap up their investigations, and come forth with a sledgehammer.

I'm hoping they come out with more concrete emails than the one they've shown on CNN so far. The PSU kool-aid drinkers still aren't sold Paterno was involved because "maybe it was different Joe". Check out the PSU boards at Fight On State - the cognitive dissonance is laughable.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=13 ... 09183&p=14
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Maybe I'm wrong and I'd doubt they ever would do it but if there was any program that deserved the death penalty it's ped state.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe I'm wrong and I'd doubt they ever would do it but if there was any program that deserved the death penalty it's ped state.

Wouldn't the death penalty only apply to repeat offenders? I don't think PSU has had any other trouble lately. I foresee 5 year bowl ban and loss of scholarships, maybe a TV ban or something like that.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe I'm wrong and I'd doubt they ever would do it but if there was any program that deserved the death penalty it's ped state.

To play Devil's Advocate (I'm in no way ignoring how abominable and gross what happened was), I'm curious why people keep bringing up the Death Penalty. What is the NCAA's standing for intervention? It's not like PSU gained any sort of competitive advantage. It seems that what happened was entirely outside the realm of athletic competition. Lots of people are talking about it, so I'm very open to hearing the logic behind it.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:29 pm

I could see them getting some sanctions if they can show they advanced McQueary in order to keep him quiet. Not sure if they could ding them a great deal for everything else, even though there was certainly a lack of institutional control.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

To play Devil's Advocate (I'm in no way ignoring how abominable and gross what happened was), I'm curious why people keep bringing up the Death Penalty. What is the NCAA's standing for intervention? It's not like PSU gained any sort of competitive advantage. It seems that what happened was entirely outside the realm of athletic competition. Lots of people are talking about it, so I'm very open to hearing the logic behind it.

I was confused too, here's an article that sums it up. PennLive has been killing the coverage from the get go:

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewsspo ... shows.html

This is another very good article on JoePa, unrelated to the Death Penalty:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ans_m.html
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Granted there might not be precedent but opposed to chasing whether some SEC coach sent 1 too many text messages to some fucking illiterate (and taking 5 years to research) or researching if a school is using the proper type of cream cheese at a morning spread, this is something that they should be throwing the book at. Here's a group of people who used their power, simply because of their relation to the football team, to not only hide a pedophile but essentially aid in his disgustiad activities.

Thanks for the link to their board RyRob might be some invasion material for today.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 am

Until the emails I thought NCAA involvement was just a bunch of self-aggrandizing noise. While there is not a direct competitive advantage to allowing a known pedophile access to campus facilities and not reporting his actions, there is clearly an element of avoiding a competitive disadvantage to such non reporting. I think lack of institutional control is pretty malleable and its really a motivation and judgment call on the NCAA's part.

Ignoring right and wrong and fair and unfair, I think it would be devastating to non-southern college football to lose one of the 5 or so non-southern marquee programs.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

What does the NCAA stand for? What is its purpose? Ignoring child abuse flies in the face of this more than tattoos, text messages, and fifty dollar handshakes ever did.

IWNH, but if there any justice in the world, they'd be banned from TV and bowls for as long as Paterno, et al, turned the other way while Sandusky continued abusing children.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Until the emails I thought NCAA involvement was just a bunch of self-aggrandizing noise. While there is not a direct competitive advantage to allowing a known pedophile access to campus facilities and not reporting his actions, there is clearly an element of avoiding a competitive disadvantage to such non reporting. I think lack of institutional control is pretty malleable and its really a motivation and judgment call on the NCAA's part.

This is the counter-argument:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/football/re ... ments/2013
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Coach Bill O'Brien best find some backup 2 star types, because not all of these will be signing with Penn State, after the hammer comes down.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Coach Bill O'Brien best find some backup 2 star types, because not all of these will be signing with Penn State, after the hammer comes down.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:06 pm

If the NCAA does bring the hammer down on PSU, does BOB once again become a candidate for the BC job??
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm

nm
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:10 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

Wouldn't the death penalty only apply to repeat offenders? I don't think PSU has had any other trouble lately. I foresee 5 year bowl ban and loss of scholarships, maybe a TV ban or something like that.

True, but this goes so far beyond the normal types of things the NCAA deals with that you could certainly make a case for hammering them even as a first-time offender. I think it's very debatable whether or not the NCAA has the jurisdiction to take any action at all, but I don't think "they're not a repeat offender" applies either way here. Also, imposing any sanctions short of the death penalty would be absolutely the worst thing the NCAA could do here--basically saying that they do have jurisdiction, but what happened wasn't bad enough to justify going nuclear. I think they have two options--either stay out of it entirely and let the prosecutors handle it or death penalty, and you can make a pretty decent case for either one.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Granted there might not be precedent but opposed to chasing whether some SEC coach sent 1 too many text messages to some fucking illiterate (and taking 5 years to research) or researching if a school is using the proper type of cream cheese at a morning spread, this is something that they should be throwing the book at. Here's a group of people who used their power, simply because of their relation to the football team, to not only hide a pedophile but essentially aid in his disgustiad activities.

Thanks for the link to their board RyRob might be some invasion material for today.

Speaking of Ped State boards, here are 16 pages of entertainment. Reactions vary from heartbreak to denial to delusion. Some of the conspiracy theories rival what you would find on The Boneyard. One poster suggests this story is analogous to Rathergate.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:37 pm

I think they have two options--either stay out of it entirely and let the prosecutors handle it or death penalty, and you can make a pretty decent case for either one.

I do not believe the prosecutors can enforce a civil penalty such as no more football ..they can bring criminal charges to the administrators if the law allows..the NCAA has to lay the hammer down, they have no choice. The Feds have an investigation going, and Freeh is near the end of his. The NCAA will be ordered to take certain actions, and it sure as hell can not be-limiting spring practice to 5 days. The whole country is watching this debacle, and the longer it goes, the worse it gets.
The loss of institutional control is clearly in the NCAA manual, and it applies here. The only reason that PSU in not a second or third offender, is that Paterno, Curley and crew covered up these assaults for 12 years at least. The NCAA has no choice but to take the toys away from these nitwits.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:
I think they have two options--either stay out of it entirely and let the prosecutors handle it or death penalty, and you can make a pretty decent case for either one.

I do not believe the prosecutors can enforce a civil penalty such as no more football ..they can bring criminal charges to the administrators if the law allows..the NCAA has to lay the hammer down, they have no choice. The Feds have an investigation going, and Freeh is near the end of his. The NCAA will be ordered to take certain actions, and it sure as hell can not be-limiting spring practice to 5 days. The whole country is watching this debacle, and the longer it goes, the worse it gets.
The loss of institutional control is clearly in the NCAA manual, and it applies here. The only reason that PSU in not a second or third offender, is that Paterno, Curley and crew covered up these assaults for 12 years at least. The NCAA has no choice but to take the toys away from these nitwits.

im baffled and probably misreading. The FBI is going to make the NCAA come down on PSU?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

im baffled and probably misreading. The FBI is going to make the NCAA come down on PSU?

And you thought FBI Investigator was here just for the fagtagging.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:56 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

Based on his progress vis a vis fagtagging so far, I'm not sure he was here for fagtagging at all. Is it possible he used something as serious as a fagtagging investigation as cover? For shame, FBI Investigator.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8144317/penn-state-nittany-lions-say-donations-second-highest-school-history

Nice of them to kick in for the looming settlement payouts.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby FBInvestigator on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:21 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

Based on his progress vis a vis fagtagging so far, I'm not sure he was here for fagtagging at all. Is it possible he used something as serious as a fagtagging investigation as cover? For shame, FBI Investigator.

FBInvestigator
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium