Joe Paterno dies at 85

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Joe Paterno dies at 85

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:In the 70's the eastern football "conference" was mythical and notional only. There was a theoretical ECAC "champion" based on overall record of the teams you mentioned including Arm and Navy and Temple as well. It wasn't until after BE basketball had been formed and was successful that BE football conference was discussed as an afterthought for the football playing schools. Penn St. wanted all in or nothing. The BE refused to accept Penn St. into the BE basketball world. Be reminded that the BE has always compromised illogically to suit their narrow aims, (re: ND) and to the present, it is one of the reasons that it teeters on the brink of extinction.

I remember when I first started following BC football, the Big East had unbalanced records. Despite the small size of the conference, not every team played each other, and some teams only played two or three "conference" games while others played a full BE schedule. The standings looked weird. I think one year a team (possibly Cuse) finished first with a 3-0 conference record and beat out someone else with a 5-1 record.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 am

It looks to me like Paterno "fired" Sandusky after the first report and reported the incident after the second known report. I know you all would have gone in and kicked Sandusky's ass, immediately called 911and wrapped the whole problem up that night (which is what should have happened) but since it didn't, how would you have handled the situation, as Paterno?
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:It looks to me like Paterno "fired" Sandusky after the first report and reported the incident after the second known report. I know you all would have gone in and kicked Sandusky's ass, immediately called 911and wrapped the whole problem up that night (which is what should have happened) but since it didn't, how would you have handled the situation, as Paterno?

Really? You have the time line so mangled it's difficult to follow what you mean.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:It looks to me like Paterno "fired" Sandusky after the first report and reported the incident after the second known report. I know you all would have gone in and kicked Sandusky's ass, immediately called 911and wrapped the whole problem up that night (which is what should have happened) but since it didn't, how would you have handled the situation, as Paterno?

I would have objected to the fact that Sandusky was still running a sleepover camp for boys on campus something like 7 years after he was "kicked off" of campus.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I would have objected to the fact that Sandusky was still running a sleepover camp for boys on campus something like 7 years after he was "kicked off" of campus.

This seems reasonable.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

This seems reasonable.

As would discontinuing the friendship or valuing the welfare of young men over the school's reputation.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

This seems reasonable.

As would discontinuing the friendship or valuing the welfare of young men over the school's reputation.

I think your losing sight of just how many wins 409 is.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:52 pm

For the love of God, would people stop defending Joe Paterno. I thought he was a grumpy unlikable asshole even before the Sandusky story came out. And now, there is no defending him.

"The only loss I'm upset about is the loss to Boston College because they're a bad football team." Joe Paterno, 1992. Who says that?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1413overut on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 pm

tx-

agree with you, regarding the OBE. My 70s reference was for before that. Not claiming there was a FB conference back then, just that those schools wanted one back then and and PSU didn't; Flynn always made that clear. There was no point in an eastern FB conference without PSU. When the BE formed as essentially a BB conference of course he wanted in - too late!

Had an east "indie" FB conference formed, BEFORE OBE, things would have been very different.
1413overut
n00b

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Really? You have the time line so mangled it's difficult to follow what you mean.

How so? 1998 was the first report and was investigated by PSU and the second was McQueary's no?
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:06 pm

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — A jury was selected Wednesday in the child molestation scandal that brought down Joe Paterno, and the makeup of the panel left no doubt this is Penn State country.

The seven women and five men who will hear opening statements on Monday in the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky include an engineering administrative assistant at Penn State, a dance teacher in the school's continuing education program and a professor who has been on the faculty for 24 years.

They also include a Penn State senior, a retired soil sciences professor with 37 years at the university, a man with bachelor's and master's degrees from the school and a woman who's been a football season ticket holder since the 1970s.

One of four alternate jurors was selected Wednesday, a woman in her 30s who graduated from Penn State in 2007 with a degree in human development. Three more alternates remain to be picked, and a prosecutor said he thought those selections could be finished Wednesday afternoon.

Almost 2/3 of the jury are PSU people!
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:10 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — A jury was selected Wednesday in the child molestation scandal that brought down Joe Paterno, and the makeup of the panel left no doubt this is Penn State country.

The seven women and five men who will hear opening statements on Monday in the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky include an engineering administrative assistant at Penn State, a dance teacher in the school's continuing education program and a professor who has been on the faculty for 24 years.

They also include a Penn State senior, a retired soil sciences professor with 37 years at the university, a man with bachelor's and master's degrees from the school and a woman who's been a football season ticket holder since the 1970s.

One of four alternate jurors was selected Wednesday, a woman in her 30s who graduated from Penn State in 2007 with a degree in human development. Three more alternates remain to be picked, and a prosecutor said he thought those selections could be finished Wednesday afternoon.

Almost 2/3 of the jury are PSU people!

I saw that. There should have been a change in venue so the state can get a fair shake. This jury is comprised of people who enabled Sandusky's behavior for decades.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Given where this is being held, the state could have a signed, notarized confession from Sandusky that he butt raped 25 kids back to back and he's still going to walk. It's disgusting.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Supposedly part of the evidence that will be presented is a series of creepy love stories Sandusky wrote in his own handwriting featuring himself and one of the victims.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Supposedly part of the evidence that will be presented is a series of creepy love stories Sandusky wrote in his own handwriting featuring himself and one of the victims.

Saw that on bagelboy's twitterbox, absolutely disgusting
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Supposedly part of the evidence that will be presented is a series of creepy love stories Sandusky wrote in his own handwriting featuring himself and one of the victims.

Parts of them have been leaked. Pretty disgusting stuff.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:26 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

ha!
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

ha!

94?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

ha!

94?

:81
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am

I know everyone deserves their day in court, blah blah lawyer speak.

But you have to be a scumbag to be defending Sandusky. Hearing the testimony is sickening.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:09 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I know everyone deserves their day in court, blah blah lawyer speak.

But you have to be a scumbag to be defending Sandusky. Hearing the testimony is sickening.

I am reminded of some fan reactions when this first came to light.

"Guys a LEgend in Penn State. He will have many, many penn state fans supporting him during these hard times hopefully he will come out a Victor like a true penn state alumni. Even if he is found guilty he will have his fan support becuase the justice system isnt always Right and many times prosecute the innocent. We PSU fans will not give up on Sandusky and We owe him everything he has done for PEnn state and our Community. we wont give up til he is found innocent"
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I know everyone deserves their day in court, blah blah lawyer speak.

His lawyer knocked up a 16 year old client in the mid 90s. No joke.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:58 pm

As most public defenders will tell you, they don't defend their clients. They "represent" them.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

This Amendola guy has to be among the worst attorneys in the history of mankind.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 am

Evidence has emerged proving that former Penn State President Graham Spanier knew about allegations against Sandusky and chose not to report them to the authorities because he wanted to be "humane" to Sandusky.

I am not a law talkin' guy, but I suspect that would make Spanier and/or Penn State liable for any further abuse conducted by Sandusky from that day forward.

Penn State will be taken to the cleaners and Sandusky should have plenty of familiar company in prison.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Evidence has emerged proving that former Penn State President Graham Spanier knew about allegations against Sandusky and chose not to report them to the authorities because he wanted to be "humane" to Sandusky.

I am not a law talkin' guy, but I suspect that would make Spanier and/or Penn State liable for any further abuse conducted by Sandusky from that day forward.

Penn State will be taken to the cleaners and Sandusky should have plenty of familiar company in prison.

if not an accessory after the fact
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:43 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Evidence has emerged proving that former Penn State President Graham Spanier knew about allegations against Sandusky and chose not to report them to the authorities because he wanted to be "humane" to Sandusky.

The thing about "prison rape" jokes with Sandusky is that this particular guy might actually enjoy it.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

The thing about "prison rape" jokes with Sandusky is that this particular guy might actually enjoy it.

Only if there's a mixup and he gets sent to juvy. Heyyyooooo!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Can we wrap this up now and not endure another week of it? Every victim's testimony has depicted a consistent pattern of abuse. This is not a conspiracy. Lock Sandusky up and throw away the key.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Can we wrap this up now and not endure another week of it? Every victim's testimony has depicted a consistent pattern of abuse. This is not a conspiracy. Lock Sandusky up and throw away the key.

Amen

Word is he might testify today

Fucking disgusting
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George