Joe Paterno dies at 85

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Joe Paterno dies at 85

Postby nerd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Penn State should get the death penalty. What they did was far worse than what SMU did. DISCUSTAID!!

Here's why I'm not sure I agree: I think a penalty has to serve some kind of purpose. It should either be punitive or Prophylactic against future similar actions.

Punitive: Here, the bad actors are completely screwed. Curley, Schultz and Spanier should end up in jail, and they are going to be or already are financially and reputationally ruined and will never employed again. McQueery will never work as a coach again and is widely hated. Paterno's legacy has been destroyed and he is dead. Sandusky will die in jail, his wife is disgraced and her life is ruined. The NCAA can literally do nothing to those people that has not been dished out by the criminal and civil legal system or public opinion.

Prophylactic: Its a hard argument to make that a pedo is going to be deterred by NCAA violations. It is a better argument that killing the PSU program would ensure that no other college football program and school administrators ever cover for a pedo again. I have a feeling though that the publicity, backlash and civil and criminal penalties are probably more than enough to accomplish avoidance of a repeat performance elsewhere.

The one strong reason I can think of is to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy, but I'm not sure how sound that is either.

What allowed things to get so bad at Penn State was the fact that the Penn State community treated JoePa as a deity. The reactions of Penn State fans to his firing, and to this Freeh report show that they still treat JoePa as a God.

While I don't think that NCAA sanctions will stop people from treating college football like a religion, maybe it might make people think twice about elevating one coach to such a pedestal that even protecting a child molester can't tarnish his image.
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Paterno ain't dead. They snuck him off to Sicily where he can fuck guinea chicks with puffy nipples. That pony we've been riding is a fake.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Penn State should get the death penalty. What they did was far worse than what SMU did. DISCUSTAID!!

Here's why I'm not sure I agree: I think a penalty has to serve some kind of purpose. It should either be punitive or Prophylactic against future similar actions.

Punitive: Here, the bad actors are completely screwed. Curley, Schultz and Spanier should end up in jail, and they are going to be or already are financially and reputationally ruined and will never employed again. McQueery will never work as a coach again and is widely hated. Paterno's legacy has been destroyed and he is dead. Sandusky will die in jail, his wife is disgraced and her life is ruined. The NCAA can literally do nothing to those people that has not been dished out by the criminal and civil legal system or public opinion.

Prophylactic: Its a hard argument to make that a pedo is going to be deterred by NCAA violations. It is a better argument that killing the PSU program would ensure that no other college football program and school administrators ever cover for a pedo again. I have a feeling though that the publicity, backlash and civil and criminal penalties are probably more than enough to accomplish avoidance of a repeat performance elsewhere.

The one strong reason I can think of is to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy, but I'm not sure how sound that is either.

What allowed things to get so bad at Penn State was the fact that the Penn State community treated JoePa as a deity. The reactions of Penn State fans to his firing, and to this Freeh report show that they still treat JoePa as a God.

While I don't think that NCAA sanctions will stop people from treating college football like a religion, maybe it might make people think twice about elevating one coach to such a pedestal that even protecting a child molester can't tarnish his image.

Was the motivation for the cover-up PSU Football preservation or JoePa preservation?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby nerd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:22 pm

From page 68:
Paterno also testified to the Grand Jury that he "ordinarily would have called people right away, [after hearing McQueary's report] but it was a Saturday morning and I didn't want to interfere with their weekends."

http://www.businessinsider.com/penn-sta ... lty-2012-7
Penn State football should get the death penalty not just as retribution for what it allowed Sandusky to do, but because Penn State needs to begin the process of assimilating into the wider football world after spending its entire modern history engrossed in the cult of JoePa.
It's not enough that the powerful men at the center of the scandal are all fired, imprisoned,or dead. The real culprit — the culture in Happy Valley — is what needs to go. And the only way to do that is by eliminating the cherished cultural center of the Penn State universe: the football team.
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:50 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:

This.

And we aren't alone. Freeh's report concluded the same thing. In Chapter 10 - Recommendations for University Governance, Administration, and the Protection of Children in University Facilities and Programs, there are 2 pages about the need to change the culture at Penn State.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8160568/nike-takes-joe-paterno-name-child-care-center-company-headquarters

Nice to see Phil Knight pipe down after that idiotic eulogy he gave

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Penn State scout board is fairly sure this is all some giant conspiracy and that there are still tons of holes in the story.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby nerd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

The Penn State scout board is why I think the entire program needs to be shut down. That community doesn't deserve nice things.
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:25 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Penn State scout board is fairly sure this is all some giant conspiracy and that there are still tons of holes in the story.

nerd {l Wrote}:The Penn State scout board is why I think the entire program needs to be shut down. That community doesn't deserve nice things.

Yup, those are the types who care more about football than the welfare of children. The thought of them tailgating, cheering, and having a good time watching Penn State beat a MAC team on 9/1 makes me sick.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Jay Paterno is live on CBS Evening News right now. He's as big a POS as his old man.

Rip down the statue, chisel his name off the library, death penalty, and reopen the investigation into the missing DA.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:27 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:The Penn State scout board is why I think the entire program needs to be shut down. That community doesn't deserve nice things.

We really need to launch an invasion...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

I'm always down for a good invasion. Ready the troops
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Someone should draw the knuckledraggers here to make things more interesting.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby nerd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

I feel like starting the following poll:

Would you rather:
a) see JoePa completely and totally exonerated in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of public opinion
b) not get buttfucked by Jerry Sandusky when you were a 12 year old boy
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I'm always down for a good invasion. Ready the troops

I've been waiting since 4:00 for them to approve me for access. Nothing, yet. I'm sure they're overwhelmed with idiots who want to tell them off. Like me.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby nerd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:30 pm

If I were a mod, I'd deny anybody who requests access today.

I'm trying to decide which thread is more retarded:
"The Best Analogy" - punishing the football team is like punishing the van maker
or
JoePa's statue should stay because the Jefferson Memorial still exists.
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 pm

which forum is best to attack? can somebody post a link please? thanks
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Mine is pending too. Let's make this happen tomorrow afternoon.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:which forum is best to attack? can somebody post a link please? thanks

Fightonstate, but good luck registering there in the next year. They must be inundated with trolls.

In other news, Jay Paterno is a fucking moron and should forego any and all interviews.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:07 am

As am I but my claver2010 was banned for some reason (don't recall that one) so I'll bring my own aliass to war claver20l0

I'll alert when I've been approved (which I assume will take a while)

Edit: I'M IN!

I'll wait for reinforcements before launching
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:08 am

I'm still pending. what the hell.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:36 am

so what angle should we be taking here?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am

I think SODOMY 2.0 will apply nicely here...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 am

Wow, you know what, Fuck Penn State, its fans, as a football program and as a motherfucking university.

I can't believe I was sort of trying to look at this with perspective yesterday, I just read their scout board this morning what a bunch of depraved assholes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:As am I but my claver2010 was banned for some reason (don't recall that one) so I'll bring my own aliass to war claver20l0

I'll alert when I've been approved (which I assume will take a while)

Edit: I'M IN!

I'll wait for reinforcements before launching

My request is still pending approval! WTF!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 am

nerd {l Wrote}:If I were a mod, I'd deny anybody who requests access today.

"The Best Analogy" - punishing the football team is like punishing the van maker
or

At the individual post level, one of my favorites is someone saying Jay Paterno should have deleted all of the emails in Joe's computer after he died. I'm trying to decide if I like it more because this person is advocating evidence tampering, or because they have no idea how email works.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:33 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

or

At the individual post level, one of my favorites is someone saying Jay Paterno should have deleted all of the emails in Joe's computer after he died. I'm trying to decide if I like it more because this person is advocating evidence tampering, or because they have no idea how email works.

its like a whole board of nospaces, which is unsurprising because the middle of pennsylvania is very similar to a lower class Arizona.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:37 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

or

It's pretty emblematic of the bury-head-in-sand approach. If the emails were deleted, Joe Pa didn't do it!!
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 am

"It hasn't been established anywhere"

"beyond a reasonable doubt"

"I'm going to need some evidence that..."

"Rule of law is so last century..."
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment