Eugene DeFilippo in Hiding

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Eugene DeFilippo in Hiding

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:57 pm

You know, Gene, you're a fucking asshole. You know.....
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Father Leahy is very, very supportive of what we do in athletics. He's aware of everything that we do in athletics. He comes to some of our functions. He's very supportive, but he has a job to do to run this institution and that comes first to him, and it should. But I talk with Father all the time. I meet when the vice presidents meet. I meet with him sometimes separately, so he's involved with everything we do and knows about it but isn't necessarily right in the middle of it.

Big shocker that Chubs Leahy is supportive of the de-emphasizing and overall downgrading of Boston College athletics.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:46 pm

garf112 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Anyone want to post the text? It's blocked here

GDF Interview: Part I
This is part one of a two part interview with BC Athletic Director Gene Defilippo. In part one, we talk about the general direction of the athletic department and about the hockey program. In Part II, we'll get into the basketball and football programs. As always, special thanks to the athletic department for setting this up.

Thank you for sitting down with me today. I wanted to ask a few questions generally about the athletic department and then maybe get into a few specific questions about the major sports if that's okay.

Sure!

How has the Flynn Fund been able to weather the economic downturn? Are donations to the BC athletic department down?

You know what, we've been doing very, very well. When we got here in '97, the athletic department was raising about 2.5 million dollars per year. In the last three or four years we've been somewhere between 17.5 million and 20 million every year. In fact, I can get you the exact money. Here are our reports [hands me end of the year report to take home]. Here we are right here, at 17.5. The year before was a little more because we got a large gift, but that's about where we are. So it's been exceptionally well.

You have to understand the other thing is that we have very few tickets which we call donor-based seating. When you go to some of the larger schools, the Tennessee's, the Ohio State's, the Oklahoma's, you know they have as many as 50,000 or 60,000 donor-based seats. Our stadium seats 44.6, or 44.5, and we have approximately 6,000 donor-based tickets so that's why you see here that the Florida States and the Virginia Techs and the North Carolinas and the NC States raising a lot more money; because they have a lot more donor-based seating than we do. Our fund-raising is shoe leather. We're gone all the time...

So what are some of the things that BC Athletics is doing in terms of facilities in order to help BC stay on top?

Well, two things, from the fund-raising end of it. Number one, we want to add to our endowment. We want to grow the athletic endowment to somewhere around 200 million dollars, so that my successor, be it he or she, would have approximately 10 million dollars to start the year. And when you have 17 million from the ACC and 10 million from the endowment, that gives you about 27 million dollars to start the year, before you sell anything at all.

How involved is Father Leahy with the Athletic Department, if at all?

Father Leahy is very, very supportive of what we do in athletics. He's aware of everything that we do in athletics. He comes to some of our functions. He's very supportive, but he has a job to do to run this institution and that comes first to him, and it should. But I talk with Father all the time. I meet when the vice presidents meet. I meet with him sometimes separately, so he's involved with everything we do and knows about it but isn't necessarily right in the middle of it.

What are some things that the Athletic Department is doing to adapt to social media and social networking?

Jamie DiLoreto knows this better than I do. We're on Facebook, and they are communicating to our students through Facebook. We're doing a much better job with our website. Jamie Parker and also Christina Connelly have been doing interviews during and after games. We put those up. We're doing a lot better of a job of securing e-mails from students, alumni, fans; we're communicating that way to them. So our marketing and promotions departments have done a really, really good job, Michael. And being able to reach students, faculty, friends, through Facebook and social media has been great.

So let's talk hockey for a second...What do you think of our chances this year?

You know, as long as Jerry York's here, we never rebuild, we reload. It's about this time, now, as we get closer to the Beanpot...In the next week or two is when our team takes off every year. They get really going and playing well, and I suspect that it will be the same thing this year. We'll be right in the hunt.

What are some things that the Athletic Department can do to build wider support for the hockey program?

Well, you know, I don't know what we can do...First of all, most of our games are either sold out or nearly sold out. We're on radio this year. A number of our games are on television. We're putting players up on our website, coaches up on our website, with game stories or whatever. I think as we keep winning and winning here, there will be more and more people that will be coming to games and following the team. This is a team that's won three national championships since 2001, so they're a pretty good program.

Does Notre Dame moving into the Hockey East change anything?

You know I'm not sure it changes anything but it gives us another rival at home. When we play New Hampshire at home, BU at home, Notre Dame at home...those are great games and our fans love to see those games. So I love the fact that Notre Dame is coming into the Hockey East.

How has outdoor hockey at Fenway helped the program and when will we see a game at Alumni?

(laughs) How has outdoor hockey??? Well, I think the exposure we've gotten both nationally and locally from our two games at Fenway have been outstanding. I think there was more hoopla for the first game of course than for the second game. But the second game they sold 29,000 tickets so it gives more people a chance to see our team, to see how good they are, to get into a great environment like Fenway Park, and to come cheer for the team. So I think it's done a lot of things. We can't really do Alumni because we've got the bubble up, and that would be really difficult for us to do.

...I'd be willing to sacrifice the bubble...

You know...We've thought about how to get it done. (laughs) But that bubble is important to us too, because the last 12 years we've been practicing for a bowl after the last home game, and they need somewhere to practice, you know. That wouldn't leave us a whole lot of time for skating so I think if we continue to do it we'll do it at Fenway Park.

2 things:

- It took him all of two sentences to make his first reference to when "when we got here in '97." Efficient.

- Was the (laughs) a tip of the hat to Rev?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks guys, typical :bored Gene shit

When I got here...
Last 12 years we had a bowl game..
Blah blah blah

Good point by DGF, they must have some connection w GDF. ATL have you ever asked to do an interview w him?

It'll be interesting to see how hard hitting the questions are when it comes to football
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby nerd on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Gene deserves credit because he arrived at BC and took a shitty basketball team and a shitty football team and several years later, the basketball team was consistently making the NCAA tournament and the football team was consistently winning 8-9 games a year. So, who gets the blame for taking a basketball team that was consistently making the NCAA tournament and a football team that was consistently winning 8-9 games a year into a shitty basketball team and a shitty football team?
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:He has been found!

He did an interview at Around the Res (http://www.aroundtheres.com) blocked at work though

Hasn't Gene given them an interview before? Whoever writes that blog must be juiced in.

are you suggested the minions plant stories for other minions disguised as independent bloggers? :popcorn

The timing of the publication of this interview is about as coincidental as Win Homer's 4th star.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ryrob on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:Gene deserves credit because he arrived at BC and took a shitty basketball team and a shitty football team and several years later, the basketball team was consistently making the NCAA tournament and the football team was consistently winning 8-9 games a year. So, who gets the blame for taking a basketball team that was consistently making the NCAA tournament and a football team that was consistently winning 8-9 games a year into a shitty basketball team and a shitty football team?

This.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:38 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
nerd {l Wrote}:Gene deserves credit because he arrived at BC and took a shitty basketball team and a shitty football team and several years later, the basketball team was consistently making the NCAA tournament and the football team was consistently winning 8-9 games a year. So, who gets the blame for taking a basketball team that was consistently making the NCAA tournament and a football team that was consistently winning 8-9 games a year into a shitty basketball team and a shitty football team?

This.

Steve Donahue was a good hire and was my first choice. The basketball team will be solid under Donahue's leadership. It will just be a year of growing pains. That is the one of the few good decisions he has made in the last few years.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 pm

I have never asked to interview Gene. The format I use of Q and A via email is hard to probe and challenge. I don't think Gene would ever say anything to me that was insightful. If I ever get around to podcasts, I think it might be more worthwhile.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby joemack13 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I agree. Was very happy with the Donahue hire at the beginning, and it's definitely too early to judge that hire. If at the end of next year we're in the bottom half of the acc, then I'd question Donahue but they seem to be progressing enough that a tournie bid may be realistic next year. He is definitely unproven so far though, and the football shitshow and things like gene inducting himself into the hall of fame is enough to make you throw up. It's not so much the state of BC athletics as every single decision regarding the football program for the last 3 years that makes me hate gene. We're getting closer and closer to the kind of disaster that takes 3-6 years to turn around
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Hey minions... let Eugene know that I take great pleasure in knowing that he is too scared to hold online Chats (been well over a year) or attend fundraisers (not even ones for the Flynn Fund, like the FoxSports event this time last year). Well... not as much pleasure as hearing rumors of his departure. But, I delight in knowing that BC alums and donors are making the Oompa Loompa's last days in Yawkey as miserable as he has made us (ever since he injected his incompetent self into the sports programs).

Anyone with photoshop skillz want to take a crack at this? Maybe we can use the best one on some T-Shirts... signs... or the front page of FireGeneD.com/FireCoachFlip.com.
on
or
or
or maybe the mirror of

Perhaps a more appropriate picture to merge GDF is with this guy:

And this represents BC Athletics:

RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:50 am

Christ... that's a picture of him in NYC. Good thing he wasn't manning a ship when Sully landed his plane in the Hudson.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:08 am

This:

You know what, I don't predict how many games we'll win because if I gave a number then somebody would say "Gee, I want to win more than that."  I want to win them all.  I want to win every ACC game (laughs).  That's why we play, so that's what I want us to do.

Leaves absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he reads the board.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am

For those who can't read it at work...

Okay let me ask you an easy one: How happy are you with the job that Steve Donahue is doing?

I'm never happy when we don't have a real good record, but I could not be happier with Steve Donahue. He is a great, great, great person and one heck of a good coach. He is exciting our players, the students, the fans. People on campus love him...He's shown that he can recruit big-time and his style of play is exciting to watch and we're going to be very, very, very successful here, starting next year and the year after. You know a lot of games we're starting five freshmen and that, you know, is not the best for this year but for the next year, and the next year, and the next year, it's really, really helpful.

And the good thing is that Steve's brought in two other recruits for this coming year who will be here in the fall of 2012 who are excellent players and will have a very good chance of starting when they get on campus. So, I couldn't be happier with Steve Donahue and the way he's built this program. He's building it in the right way.

What do you think a realistic ceiling on this team might be in four years?

You know, I look at it this way...George Mason made it to the Final Four, and Butler made it to the Final Four on two different occasions. If those teams can make it to the Final Four, Boston College can make it to the Final Four. And, you know, I'm not saying we're going to do it every year, but we have that ability to do that and I would not be at all surprised if down the road Steve Donahue gets one of our teams and we go to the Final Four. He's that good of a coach and he's that good of a recruiter.

So which of the freshmen is your favorite to watch play on the team this year?

You know I like them all. I don't have any one freshman that I like better than the others. I think that Ryan Anderson has done a terrific job. Our local guy, Dennis Clifford, has played exceptionally well. Lonnie Jackson's had some real good games shooting the ball. He's a terrific shooter and I watched him in practice the other day and he just made three point shot after shot after shot and it was really neat. And Patrick Heckmann is going to be a real good player too so I don't really have a favorite but I sure do like watching them play. I like their hustle. I like their attitude. I like the fact that they're smart, they're tough, they play hard, and it's been fun.

How many ACC games do you think we'll win this year?

You know what, I don't predict how many games we'll win because if I gave a number then somebody would say "Gee, I want to win more than that." I want to win them all. I want to win every ACC game (laughs). That's why we play, so that's what I want us to do.

So I guess let's talk football for a few minutes. The line seems to have been that we've been in rebuilding mode for the past few years. Is the rebuilding project over?

Yeah, well, here's the thing, you know, that I want people to remember. When I got here, to Boston College, in the fall of '97, Michael, the football team had had three winning teams in ten years. Three. We put together a string of 12 consecutive winning teams. 10 of those 12 teams won eight or more games. Six of those 12 teams won nine or more. And we had one 10 win season and an 11 win season. That's probably the best 12 years in our history. It's been a remarkable run.

Last year, you know, was a difficult year for us. As you know, Michael, the difference between winning and losing is so small. I mean, we line up to kick the football from the five yard line and we hit the upright and the ball kicks back. We've got another team deep down in their own territory and all we've got to do is knock down the third pass and it's third and long, we knock down the pass, and we get within an inch of it, you know, and it's complete and so we lose that ball game. We lost four or five games, maybe five games, that were decided by a touchdown or less. We won one of them.

So we've got to do a lot better. And part of it's rebuilding, part of it's injuries. But the fact is that nobody, nobody, first of all me, is happy with a 4-8 season. A 4-8 season is totally unacceptable. We're building this program and we expect to be back and going to bowls...

...Starting next year?

Starting next year.

What does Doug Martin bring to the table as an offensive coordinator and how will the offense be different under him than it may have been under Rogers?

Well, I don't know that. I know Doug just a little bit. I met him when we played Kent State several times. And I met him once when he was at the University of Kentucky, but I was not involved in any of the interviews. I did not know Jim Bollman. I did know Doug Martin. Being a Kentucky grad, when I was at the University of Kentucky I met him. Doug is a good football coach. I mean he's a very, very good football coach and his offense will be very similar to what Steve Logan did here when he was here for two years in '07 and '08. I think the fact that Doug worked for Steve for seven, eight, ten years...their philosophies are very much the same and our offense was very good in those years. And I think you'll see more of us going back to some of the things that we did in '07 and '08 rather than a lot of the things we did in '09, '10, and '11.

So were you convinced by the NCAA's ruling on Momah or do you think that we have a decent shot on appeal?

I thought that we had a very good chance to begin with, you know, and my staff put together a phenomenal case. And, the case was turned down but we do have a right to an appeal and we're doing everything in our power to make sure that we can put forth the best appeal for Momah that we can put together. You know if anyone deserves this year it's Momah. He really does.

What about the state of recruiting for the football team? It seems that we've lost some recruits over the past few days and it's a small class to begin with.

Yeah we're a small class to begin with but we're going to sign 18 or 19 players. You know, every year it's the same thing, that our players aren't five star or, you know, four star, or whatever. If you look at the Virginia Techs, they're never rated high in the recruiting. And we recruit players here that are smart, that are tough, and that will work like crazy. Those are the three things that we really, really look for in players. And if you look at who we've recruited over the past few years...guys like Rositano, Sylvia, Taj Kimble, Vardaro, Gallik, some of our linemen...I think we're recruiting very well.

We might lose some players but we've got some other players that are getting ready to commit here. It's going to be a very good year. It's going to be another very good year. You know, Montel wasn't really, really highly recruited, and look what kind of a player he came out to be. Castonzo...even Luke Kuechly. So, believe me, our coaches do a good job of evaluating talent and they will have a good recruiting class. I know that.

So you're not concerned at all about the de-commits?

No. No. You know, that happens. I just read about a quarterback. He committed to Indiana. Then he de-committed and committed to LSU and then he de-committed again and ended up at Notre Dame. So there's some of that at this time of year but we're not really worried about that because we've got some really, real good recruits out there, many of whom we haven't offered because we got some early commits, you know, but they're still waiting on us.

Good...So how enthusiastic would you say the fan base is towards the football program right now, and if you sort of had to rank fan enthusiasm for the three major programs where do you think that football would stack up?

You know, I don't know. You've got to ask the fans that. I know that this was a funny year. This is a year where we lost a lot of close games. This is a year where we have a lot of injuries. This was a year where we let some games slip away, which was extremely disappointing, and nobody was more disappointed than Frank Spaziani and me, nobody. So I don't know where it is. I do know that we're playing a great home schedule. On our home schedule we've got Virginia Tech, Clemson, Maryland, Miami, and Notre Dame. I mean that's a terrific home schedule. Our team, I think, we're going to have a good football team, and, you know what, winning gets people excited, and we've got to show that we can win and we've got to win some early games.

I think that people are excited about the basketball program, I really do. You watch these four freshmen and they've won their last two games in the ACC. We were picked for last. These freshmen are better than people gave them credit for. With John Cahill down now, John has an injured shoulder, we've got, what, five, six freshmen, a junior, a senior, and a sophomore in the rotation of nine or ten. No, we're really excited about where Steve's going...

And Jerry York's always about right here. He's always about second or third in the country at this time and then our hockey team starts to take off and the same thing will happen this year and Jerry York will make sure we're in it right to the end.

What about Chase Rettig? Are you ever at all concerned with him concerning how many offensive coordinators he's seen?

You know what, I'm really not. You know that's not something you choose to have but that's not a real factor. I was reading something about the San Fransisco 49ers the other day and they were saying that Alex Smith has had something like, oh I don't know, seven or eight offensive coordinators in ten years or eleven years, and look at the year he's having. So no, that doesn't matter to me as much. The terminology will be different but Chase and Bordner are both very smart and they'll pick it up.

These coaches will put them in the right positions and they're going to use motion, use sets, use shifting to help get receivers open and all so...Would I pick it to be this way? Would Spaz pick it to be this way where he's had this many offensive coordinators over the past few years? No, but it's not something that can't be overcome. The systems, you know, they're just not that tough.

Which do you see happening first: ACC Championship in football or basketball?

I hope both! I mean I don't want to pick one over the other. I want to win both. You know, we played for the ACC Football Championship twice, played a very good Virginia Tech team twice, and didn't make it. And we got into the finals one time in basketball and got beat on a fall-away jumper with no time left from the top of the key...didn't hit anything but net. So you know I don't which will come first. I want them both. I want to win them both...

Okay last one, what was your best day at the office in the past year?

The best day in the office this past year? I don't know if there was any one day that I could think of that was the best day but I could tell you some of the good days. It was a real good day when Montel and Ramsey were given another year on a medical red shirt. It was a real good day when we signed some of our basketball players. It is a great day when our hockey team, both hockey teams, one's third and one's fourth. It was a great day when our women's cross country team finished, what, 12th in the country, 13th in the country. It was a great day when the men's and women's soccer teams got top four seeds in the 64 teams.

I mean we've had a lot of great things happen here and we've got a lot more great things to happen, you know. Nobody has a period where you can go on forever. There's always bumps in the road. Until the bowl game the University of Texas was, what, 25-25 in their last...they were 5-7 and 7-4, 12-12, in their last 25 or 24 games. Those things happen. Are we happy about it? No. Are we working our fannies off to do everything we can to change it? Yeah! And as I said to you before, 4-8 is totally unacceptable to Spaz and me and should be unacceptable to the fans and the students, and to everybody else. That's not BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:29 am

Highlights...

1. For all of you who panned Jags, we are definitely going back to the spread:
Well, I don't know that. I know Doug just a little bit. I met him when we played Kent State several times. And I met him once when he was at the University of Kentucky, but I was not involved in any of the interviews. I did not know Jim Bollman. I did know Doug Martin. Being a Kentucky grad, when I was at the University of Kentucky I met him. Doug is a good football coach. I mean he's a very, very good football coach and his offense will be very similar to what Steve Logan did here when he was here for two years in '07 and '08. I think the fact that Doug worked for Steve for seven, eight, ten years...their philosophies are very much the same and our offense was very good in those years. And I think you'll see more of us going back to some of the things that we did in '07 and '08 rather than a lot of the things we did in '09, '10, and '11.

2. We are about to offer every uncommitted player in the ISL:
Yeah we're a small class to begin with but we're going to sign 18 or 19 players.

3. Apparently, Keeks wasn't a well recruited player (even though he had offers from like 20 BCS programs):
You know, every year it's the same thing, that our players aren't five star or, you know, four star, or whatever. If you look at the Virginia Techs, they're never rated high in the recruiting. And we recruit players here that are smart, that are tough, and that will work like crazy. Those are the three things that we really, really look for in players. And if you look at who we've recruited over the past few years...guys like Rositano, Sylvia, Taj Kimble, Vardaro, Gallik, some of our linemen...I think we're recruiting very well.

We might lose some players but we've got some other players that are getting ready to commit here. It's going to be a very good year. It's going to be another very good year. You know, Montel wasn't really, really highly recruited, and look what kind of a player he came out to be. Castonzo...even Luke Kuechly. So, believe me, our coaches do a good job of evaluating talent and they will have a good recruiting class. I know that.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am

Flipolean {l Wrote}:Last year, you know, was a difficult year for us. As you know, Michael, the difference between winning and losing is so small. I mean, we line up to kick the football from the five yard line and we hit the upright and the ball kicks back. We've got another team deep down in their own territory and all we've got to do is knock down the third pass and it's third and long, we knock down the pass, and we get within an inch of it, you know, and it's complete and so we lose that ball game. We lost four or five games, maybe five games, that were decided by a touchdown or less. We won one of them.

So we've got to do a lot better. And part of it's rebuilding, part of it's injuries. But the fact is that nobody, nobody, first of all me, is happy with a 4-8 season. A 4-8 season is totally unacceptable. We're building this program and we expect to be back and going to bowls...

Lost 3 games decided by 7 points or less and won 2. Clown. The guy talks about himself so often it's disgusting.

When Gene inducts Spaz into the HOF next year, the inscription on his plaque will begin: "Despite injuries..."
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Yeah we're a small class to begin with but we're going to sign 18 or 19 players. You know, every year it's the same thing, that our players aren't five star or, you know, four star, or whatever. If you look at the Virginia Techs, they're never rated high in the recruiting. And we recruit players here that are smart, that are tough, and that will work like crazy. Those are the three things that we really, really look for in players. And if you look at who we've recruited over the past few years...guys like Rositano, Sylvia, Taj Kimble, Vardaro, Gallik, some of our linemen...I think we're recruiting very well.

Honestly, you can't make this shit up.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We might lose some players but we've got some other players that are getting ready to commit here. It's going to be a very good year. It's going to be another very good year. You know, Montel wasn't really, really highly recruited, and look what kind of a player he came out to be. Castonzo...even Luke Kuechly. So, believe me, our coaches do a good job of evaluating talent and they will have a good recruiting class. I know that.

This quote seriously makes me want to close my laptop, fly to Boston, hop a cab to the Yawkey Center, and bash GDF over the head with it.

Set aside the fact that Kuechly had offers from Stanford and almost every B1G school. He mentions 3 players as examples of Spaz's good recruiting. Never mind that TWO OF THEM COMMITTED TO JAGS AND THE THIRD COMMITTED TO SPAZ BUT WAS A HEAVY BC LEAN AT THE TIME JAGS WAS FIRED AND ALMOST CERTAINLY WOULD'VE EVENTUALLY COMMITTED REGARDLESS. THE SAME JAGS WHOSE "POOR RECRUITING" YOU USED AS AN EXCUSE TO FIRE (can't remember if GDF ever actually said that or simply put it out as a media whisper campaign, but doesn't really matter) AND WHO IS STILL BASHED DAILY BY YOUR SYCOPHANTS FOR HIS "POOR RECRUITING". AND BOTH OF THE GUYS YOU MENTION WHO ACTUALLY WERE DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH ARE OFFENSIVE PLAYERS, SO THEN-DC SPAZ HAD NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THEIR RECRUITING.

I really, really, really, REALLY fucking hate that piece of shit.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

an academically dishonest schill {l Wrote}: Yeah, well, here's the thing, you know, that I want people to remember. When I got here, to Boston College, in the fall of '97, Michael, the football team had had three winning teams in ten years. Three. We put together a string of 12 consecutive winning teams. 10 of those 12 teams won eight or more games. Those 12 teams won nine or more. And we had one 10 win season and an 11 win season. That's probably the best 12 years in our history. It's been a remarkable run.

OCC opponents by year. Bold means Big name opponent other than ND who has been a constant, although we all know that Davies, Weiss and Willingham(and so far Kelly) ND teams are not the same thing as Holtz ND teams and that pre Michael Robinson early 2000s PSU was abysmal. 9 + win opponents are in italics.
2011: UCF, UMass, Northwestern, ND
2010: Weber State(not FBS), Kent State, ND, Syracuse
2009: Northeastern, Kent, ND, Central Michigan
2008: Kent, UCF, Rhode Island (not FBS), ND
2007: Army, UMass, Bowling Green, ND
2006: Central Michigan, BYU, ND, Buffalo
2005: BYU, Army, Ball State,
2004: Ball State, Penn State, Wake, UMass, ND
2003: Wake, Penn State, UConn, Ball State, ND
2002: UConn, Stanford, Central Michigan, NAvy, ND
2001: Stanford, Navy, Army, ND
2000: Army, Navy, UConn, ND
1999: Baylor, Navy, Northeastern, ND
1998: G Tech, Louisville, Navy, ND
1997: Cincinnati, G Tech, ND, Army
1996: Hawaii, Michigan, Navy, Cincinnati, ND
1995: Ohio State, Michigan[/b], [b]Michigan State, Army, ND
1994: Michigan, ND, Army, Louisville
1993: Northwestern, Army, Tulane, ND
1992: Northwestern, Michigan State, Penn State, Tulane, ND, Army
1991: Michigan, Georgia Tech, Penn State Louisville, Army
1990: Ohio State, Navy, Army, Penn State, Louisville
1989: Ohio State, Penn State, Navy, Army, Louisville, G-Tech
1988: USC, Cincinnati, TCU, Penn State, Tennessee, Army
1987: USC, TCU, Penn State, Army, Tennessee

So GDF's 15 years of OOC teams include two big name teams and 7 9+ game winners.

In the 10 years pre-GDF OOC teams include 21 big name teams and 13 9+ game winners (I included G-tech as a big name because they won an NC in 1990.

This is already an information dump of a post, but it is also interesting to note how much better the eastern teams/big east was from 1987-2001 than the BigEast/ACC has been since.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 pm

I know that this is a football board, but what in the hell basketball game is he referring to. they made the ACC championship once and lost to Duke. they played a great game and JJ Redick hit some late threes. Bc trailed the entire last minute. hinnant hit a three with about 5 seconds left to cut it to two. then duke hit one free throw and Hinnant threw up a full court heave that hit the rim. they lost by three. there was absolutely no last second shot to beat BC. Never happened.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I know that this is a football board, but what in the hell basketball game is he referring to. they made the ACC championship once and lost to Duke. they played a great game and JJ Redick hit some late threes. Bc trailed the entire last minute. hinnant hit a three with about 5 seconds left to cut it to two. then duke hit one free throw and Hinnant threw up a full court heave that hit the rim. they lost by three. there was absolutely no last second shot to beat BC. Never happened.

You are correct in everything except that they lost by 2. Hinnant's missed shot was the end of the game and the last Duke Pts were freethrows.

I hope someone somewhere is punching Greg Paulus in the dick right now, I'd like to think they are.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/031206aaa.html
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Highlights...
2. We are about to offer every uncommitted player in the ISL:
Yeah we're a small class to begin with but we're going to sign 18 or 19 players.

Exactly what I was thinking
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 pm

The follow up question to this:

What does Doug Martin bring to the table as an offensive coordinator and how will the offense be different under him than it may have been under Rogers?

Should have been:

Gene, you seem excited by the move back to the Steve Logan style of offense. What made you choose Spaz over Logan in the first place? Logan had prior success as a head coach at ECU and was interested in taking over as head coach here. Instead you selected Spaz, a career assistant that other programs never showed any interest in at all.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:The follow up question to this:

Should have been:

Gene, you seem excited by the move back to the Steve Logan style of offense. What made you choose Spaz over Logan in the first place? Logan had prior success as a head coach at ECU and was interested in taking over as head coach here. Instead you selected Spaz, a career assistant that other programs never showed any interest in at all.

Btw, Gene is lying when he said he did not know Jim Bollman.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
h2o {l Wrote}:The follow up question to this:

Should have been:

Btw, Gene is lying when he said he did not know Jim Bollman.

Not sure if he knew Jim Bollman... but he certainly professed to be BFFs with Bollman's former boss Tressel.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm

I like that he knows the ins and outs of the recruiting class and has his hands in all sorts of pots regarding football but we are to believe he is completely removed from the interview process when it comes to assistants. I know he was involved with Martin. I heard that Bollman came via a Tranq-Spaz connection.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I like that he knows the ins and outs of the recruiting class and has his hands in all sorts of pots regarding football but we are to believe he is completely removed from the interview process when it comes to assistants. I know he was involved with Martin. I heard that Bollman came via a Tranq-Spaz connection.

See this is why we need an ATL sitdown with :pickle hard hitting questions galore
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:53 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I like that he knows the ins and outs of the recruiting class and has his hands in all sorts of pots regarding football but we are to believe he is completely removed from the interview process when it comes to assistants. I know he was involved with Martin. I heard that Bollman came via a Tranq-Spaz connection.

See this is why we need an ATL sitdown with :pickle hard hitting questions galore

And this is why Flipper ain't never having such a sitdown with ATL.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm

The good news, I guess, is that this blog (its timing, the "soft" questions, and Gene's defensive answers) illustrates that at least Gene knows that he needs to spin BS. Its clear to me that he knows he has some 'spainin to do and is trying to get it out. Gene knows he is screwing up the department, and he is now scrambling to cover his ass.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:41 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:The good news, I guess, is that this blog (its timing, the "soft" questions, and Gene's defensive answers) illustrates that at least Gene knows that he needs to spin BS. Its clear to me that he knows he has some 'spainin to do and is trying to get it out. Gene knows he is screwing up the department, and he is now scrambling to cover his ass.

Well... word is at least out that BC has winning record or everyone is gone:

...Starting next year?

Starting next year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium