New Coach

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New Coach

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:03 am

Thamel announces it BoB, both sides working to conclude the deal
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:24 am

A+ hire once he signs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:58 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The only thing that matters in college football, is recruiting. We haven't had any recruiting since :toby On recruiting alone (nothing else, since his coaching was incompetence) :toby = 9 wins per year.

Bring in whoever recruits the best. Fuck everything else. I don't care if he bitches and moans about how hard it is to recruit for BC, as long as he recruits. I don't care how much BC pays him, as long as he recruits. I don't care what kind of offense or defense BC runs (or what coordinators he hires) as long as he recruits like a mofo. I don't even care if he gives radio or talk show interviews where he denigrates BC as his employer the way the Ginger coach did, provided we get the kind of players Ginger gave us. We need a salesman, not a talker or a politician.

You must pay like zero attention to college football. This is the worst take ever. Hafley was a recruiter. Ron Zook was an amazing recruiter. Good coaches hire strong recruiting assistants, and motivate them. Good BC football head coaches lead, demand accountability and develop players.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 am

durkcal {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The only thing that matters in college football, is recruiting. We haven't had any recruiting since :toby On recruiting alone (nothing else, since his coaching was incompetence) :toby = 9 wins per year.

Bring in whoever recruits the best. Fuck everything else. I don't care if he bitches and moans about how hard it is to recruit for BC, as long as he recruits. I don't care how much BC pays him, as long as he recruits. I don't care what kind of offense or defense BC runs (or what coordinators he hires) as long as he recruits like a mofo. I don't even care if he gives radio or talk show interviews where he denigrates BC as his employer the way the Ginger coach did, provided we get the kind of players Ginger gave us. We need a salesman, not a talker or a politician.

You must pay like zero attention to college football. This is the worst take ever. Hafley was a recruiter. Ron Zook was an amazing recruiter. Good coaches hire strong recruiting assistants, and motivate them. Good BC football head coaches lead, demand accountability and develop players.

Toby had 3 or 4 recruiting classes where his recruits collectively ranked number one in the Big East conference (including his last class when he knew he was quitting!) How did we get Matt Ryan, William Green, or Damian Woody? How did we get Kiwanuka? Did Hafley ever bring in players even close to the ability of those guys? All 4 of them were number one at their positions in college football the years that they played, all at BC, all due to Toby. Hafley had two recruiting classes (including his last one) that ranked dead last (14 out of 14) in the ACC. What the fuck could you possibly be talking about?

Its great that we have Bob O'Brien. But this forum is supposed to be the BC Eagles no spin zone. You don't have to be sensitive or tender hearted toward BC and what it is and what it isn't, here. This is not Hockeyruption or Eagle Insider where we can't be honest about reality.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:13 pm

Hafley was surprisingly bad at what he was supposed to be good at - recruiting and coaching DBs. It's not quite Spaz level of losing a recruit to Northeastern track, but wiffing on Hasselback to Maryland lacrosse was bad.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:22 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:

Toby had 3 or 4 recruiting classes where his recruits collectively ranked number one in the Big East conference (including his last class when he knew he was quitting!) How did we get Matt Ryan, William Green, or Damian Woody? How did we get Kiwanuka? Did Hafley ever bring in players even close to the ability of those guys? All 4 of them were number one at their positions in college football the years that they played, all at BC, all due to Toby. Hafley had two recruiting classes (including his last one) that ranked dead last (14 out of 14) in the ACC. What the fuck could you possibly be talking about?

Its great that we have Bob O'Brien. But this forum is supposed to be the BC Eagles no spin zone. You don't have to be sensitive or tender hearted toward BC and what it is and what it isn't, here. This is not Hockeyruption or Eagle Insider where we can't be honest about reality.

Woody was recruited by Henning. Neither Ryan nor Kiwi were top recruits. The early TOB years were overrated by Rivals as Farrell was starting out, worked for EA and bumped up ratings for tips and access.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:30 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:

Woody was recruited by Henning. Neither Ryan nor Kiwi were top recruits. The early TOB years were overrated by Rivals as Farrell was starting out, worked for EA and bumped up ratings for tips and access.

Ryan and Kiwi were not top recruits but they ended up being super high draft picks because Toby found diamonds that no one else valued. THAT is what we need from recruiters and head coaches at Boston College. We haven't had that since 2006. That is 18 years. Maybe BOB will be different and get us back where we once were?

We want the same things here Atlanta. I know how much you guys hate Toby and why you hate him, and I am with you. He denigrated his own employer and whined all the time about how hard this job was. But years later, I have missed what he gave us that we haven't had in almost 2 decades: relevance.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:55 pm

That’s not correct either. Zay Flowers, John Johnson, Chris Lindstrom, Zach Allenjust off the top of my head. I believe all of them had low 3 star ratings or lower

Daz’s problem was in-game coaching plain and simple. Spaz’s issue was apathy. Hafley was simply learning on the job and in over his head. Recruiting is not it
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:

Ryan and Kiwi were not top recruits but they ended up being super high draft picks because Toby found diamonds that no one else valued. THAT is what we need from recruiters and head coaches at Boston College. We haven't had that since 2006. That is 18 years. Maybe BOB will be different and get us back where we once were?

We want the same things here Atlanta. I know how much you guys hate Toby and why you hate him, and I am with you. He denigrated his own employer and whined all the time about how hard this job was. But years later, I have missed what he gave us that we haven't had in almost 2 decades: relevance.

You've logic boxed yourself. Accepting your premise that recruiting is everything and coaching means little and Toby was a great recruiter, why did he have a mediocre result ceiling immediately exceeded by his successor with the same players?

Oh yeah, coaching.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:

You've logic boxed yourself. Accepting your premise that recruiting is everything and coaching means little and Toby was a great recruiter, why did he have a mediocre result ceiling immediately exceeded by his successor with the same players?

Oh yeah, coaching.

Oh yeah.

Theodore, remember all those WTF losses? Remember them? You are 53 so I know you do. I sure remember them. And you know what? I miss them. I miss the annual WTF loss that Toby would give us every year, the epic result of his incredibly bad game day coaching. Oh yeah.

But I don't miss them because I want the WTF loss every year. I miss them because it has been more than 15 years since Boston College was so mathematically superior to an opponent that they wind up losing to on the field. I miss that. It used to be that way for this team even though it isn't anymore. And I miss it.

Oh yeah, coaching. We had a shitty game day coach that made a team relevant. Maybe Bob O'Brien will do that for us or maybe he won't. I'm not holding my breath. I am not going to "get in" just yet. Been down that path. But I know what I want. I want this team to be relevant.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:38 am

staff coming together:

OC:
@PeteThamel
Sources: Boston College is working to hire New England Patriots tight end coach Will Lawing as the offensive coordinator. He’s a veteran coach who has worked with Bill O’Brien in New England, Alabama and Houston, where he was TE coach in 2019 and 2020.

QB Coach:
@PeteThamel
Sources: Boston College is expected to promote Jonathan DiBiaso to quarterbacks coach. He was an analyst and assistant QB coach at BC last year. He’s worked at Pitt, Vanderbilt and a prior stint at BC as a GA (2018-20).

OL, RB, & WR:
@PeteThamel
Sources: Boston College is working toward retaining a trio of key assistants on offense – offensive line coach Matt Applebaum, wide receivers coach Darrell Wyatt and running backs coach Savon Huggins. They are all expected to be part of Bill O’Brien’s first BC staff.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:39 am

I'm not 53, his name is not Bob, and you're an idiot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:10 am

Okay 52, and its Bill. Sue me counsellor. Oh I forgot, you don't do that anymore. You just sell your firm's ability to practice law instead of practicing it yourself.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:20 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Okay 52, and its Bill. Sue me counsellor. Oh I forgot, you don't do that anymore. You just sell your firm's ability to practice law instead of practicing it yourself.

No, yes and swing and miss. You're an idiot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:24 pm

And kudos on the 5th different way you've misspelled counselor. At least you could pass in England this time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:23 pm

welcome back:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:44 pm

Tim Lewis seems like thoughtful, humble guy who takes positives from his weird coaching path fwiw (tho obsessed with boogers)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8P7_fOZPs
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium