New Coach

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New Coach

Postby rktbrkr on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Not even Spaz could miss how badly Devine has done at OL coach, he came in without OL coaching experience and the results speak for themselves.Bullmans got good credentials and I'm sure the coordinator title is to justify his pay grade so this is double remarkable that they are willing to pay more to get the team moving back to mediocrity.

Spaz just couldn't fire Devine. Part loyalty, part refusing to admit Devine never should have been hired.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby eaglecaddy on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I think it is real hard sometimes for recruiters (not just BC, but all college recruiters) to figure out if a high school offensive lineman is totally dominating their opponents in high school because of an advantage in size and physical power OR superior athletic ability. If they did what they did simply because they were so much bigger than every 15, 16, and 17 year old defensive tackle/nose guard they lined up against, then maybe they will have the same tremendous success in college against much bigger and much faster defensive linemen. That was the case for Damien Woody, Dan Koppen, Chris Snee, and (with a little bit of personal experience here since he kicked my ass at Players Edge football camp) Tom Nalen.

If, however, they did what they did because they were such better athletes on the line (so much quicker and more athletic than ordinary linemen), then that is something different, something a good line coach can use and turn that player into a outstanding college offensive linemen, provided they are tall enough. Two such athletic O-linemen cases stick out like a sore thumb for BC: Pete Kendall and Anthony Costanzo. Pete Kendall's Senior year at Arch Bishop Williams High School in Braintree MA, he was 6'5" 195 pounds (yes ONE-ninety-five.) That is way light for an offensive tackle, but he was kicking everyone's ass and Archie's was doing well. His outstanding performance in high school could only be attributed to his better athletic ability (he was out-athleting the slow, tubby, defensive tackles.) So he red-shirted, put on some weight to go with his height, and because he was already an athlete, he did very well in college as an offensive linemen. Same goes for Costanzo. When Jags got him, he showed up on campus @ 230 pounds. But he was a superior linemen due to his athleticism. So they rushed him and packed the weight on, got him up to 260 pounds for Matty Ice's Senior year. Costanzo sucked a little bit as right tackle (true freshman, what do you expect) but by the time he was a Junior, he was one of the best in the nation.

I won't let myself get into some nonsensical IB debate. I will just point out that your statements regarding the specific players used as examples are way the eff off. For instance, I knew Pete since freshman year and at no point was he under 200 lbs. You are likely getting him confused with Mamula who was around 190 freshman year. Kendall was big enough that he had an offer from most major universities... including ND (which was still flying high under Holtz). Coughlin poached Mamula from UNH just to fill out the class.

I am not getting anyone confused. You are the one who is confused.

Pete Kendall was tall and lanky in High School, 6' 5", weighed 195 pounds at Archies. He was the #2 high school recruit in the State of Massachusetts his Senior year, (#2 behind Whitman-Hanson's QB, O'Brien.) By the time you met him, I'm sure he was just up over 200 pounds.

He red shirted in 1991 specifically to bulk up, was much too light to play offense line. By the time he was a 5th-year-Senior, he was up near 290 pounds.

Pete Kendall according to his official BC bio was on the travel squad as a member of the second team as a true freshman but preserved his redshirt by not seeing game action. I am calling :tre on this btardo story. I highly doubt Kendall gained 40-50 pounds between senior year of high school and starting up at BC, which those who knew Pete say he arrived at BC between 240-250 pounds.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I think it is real hard sometimes for recruiters (not just BC, but all college recruiters) to figure out if a high school offensive lineman is totally dominating their opponents in high school because of an advantage in size and physical power OR superior athletic ability. If they did what they did simply because they were so much bigger than every 15, 16, and 17 year old defensive tackle/nose guard they lined up against, then maybe they will have the same tremendous success in college against much bigger and much faster defensive linemen. That was the case for Damien Woody, Dan Koppen, Chris Snee, and (with a little bit of personal experience here since he kicked my ass at Players Edge football camp) Tom Nalen.

If, however, they did what they did because they were such better athletes on the line (so much quicker and more athletic than ordinary linemen), then that is something different, something a good line coach can use and turn that player into a outstanding college offensive linemen, provided they are tall enough. Two such athletic O-linemen cases stick out like a sore thumb for BC: Pete Kendall and Anthony Costanzo. Pete Kendall's Senior year at Arch Bishop Williams High School in Braintree MA, he was 6'5" 195 pounds (yes ONE-ninety-five.) That is way light for an offensive tackle, but he was kicking everyone's ass and Archie's was doing well. His outstanding performance in high school could only be attributed to his better athletic ability (he was out-athleting the slow, tubby, defensive tackles.) So he red-shirted, put on some weight to go with his height, and because he was already an athlete, he did very well in college as an offensive linemen. Same goes for Costanzo. When Jags got him, he showed up on campus @ 230 pounds. But he was a superior linemen due to his athleticism. So they rushed him and packed the weight on, got him up to 260 pounds for Matty Ice's Senior year. Costanzo sucked a little bit as right tackle (true freshman, what do you expect) but by the time he was a Junior, he was one of the best in the nation.

I won't let myself get into some nonsensical IB debate. I will just point out that your statements regarding the specific players used as examples are way the eff off. For instance, I knew Pete since freshman year and at no point was he under 200 lbs. You are likely getting him confused with Mamula who was around 190 freshman year. Kendall was big enough that he had an offer from most major universities... including ND (which was still flying high under Holtz). Coughlin poached Mamula from UNH just to fill out the class.

Pete Kendall was tall and lanky in High School, 6' 5", weighed 195 pounds at Archies. He was the #2 high school recruit in the State of Massachusetts his Senior year, (#2 behind Whitman-Hanson's QB, O'Brien.) By the time you met him, I'm sure he was just up over 200 pounds.

He red shirted in 1991 specifically to bulk up, was much too light to play offense line. By the time he was a 5th-year-Senior, he was up near 290 pounds.

Pete Kendall according to his official BC bio was on the travel squad as a member of the second team as a true freshman but preserved his redshirt by not seeing game action. I am calling :tre on this btardo story.

call it whatever you want. Pete weighed 195 his senior year in high school. he was 6'5". i don't know what he weighed in December of 1991, but December 1990 he was 195 pounds, very Anthony Costanzo-esque

they had all sorts of articles about his lean frame in the papers the year he was rated the second best college football prospect in the state. i don't know what happened to W-H's O'brien.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 pm

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Pete Kendall according to his official BC bio was on the travel squad as a member of the second team as a true freshman but preserved his redshirt by not seeing game action. I am calling :tre on this btardo story.

call it whatever you want. Pete weighed 195 his senior year in high school. he was 6'5". i don't know what he weighed in December of 1991, but December 1990 he was 195 pounds, very Anthony Costanzo-esque

they had all sorts of articles about his lean frame in the papers the year he was rated the second best college football prospect in the state. i don't know what happened to W-H's O'brien.

Are you thinking about Jeff Ryan (outta Waltham)? He was part of that class and played all 4 years at QB. There were also the O'Brien brothers (Tim and Joe) from Hanson. But, they were OL and DL at BC. Tim was the smaller of the two... but, would be surprised if he was a QB (he never played the position at BC)... let alone one good enough to be considered a better prospect than Kendall.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Are you thinking about Jeff Ryan (outta Waltham)? He was part of that class and played all 4 years at QB. There were also the O'Brien brothers (Tim and Joe) from Hanson. But, they were OL and DL at BC. Tim was the smaller of the two... but, would be surprised if he was a QB (he never played the position at BC)... let alone one good enough to be considered a better prospect than Kendall.

Whitman-Hanson's Bob O'Brien (I think). QB. He led WH to the Superbowl in 1989 (his junior year.) Beat Holliston. I was at the game (@ BU.) I don't know where O'Brien went to college.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby xu9697 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:26 am

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/01/t ... ilure#more

From the article:

"Unfortunately, the Buckeyes' new OL coach will also have his work cut out for him, as Bollman's parting gift to Ohio State is a roster so completely devoid of linemen that next year's depth chart will once again feature the same names twice: Once as a starter, and again - same player - as a backup elsewhere on the line.

Under Bollman offensive line depth, technique and discipline were lacking.Bollman's replacement will arrive in Columbus and find that he has exactly two returning offensive tackles: Andrew Norwell, who is pretty good, and Antonio Underwood [uncomfortable silence].

Reid Fragel is moving from TE to OT, a position that he has never played, yet he is a shoe-in to be the starter opposite Norwell. Still think Bollman bashing is hyperbolic?"
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 am

xu9697 {l Wrote}:http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/01/the-last-refuge-of-failure#more

From the article:

"Unfortunately, the Buckeyes' new OL coach will also have his work cut out for him, as Bollman's parting gift to Ohio State is a roster so completely devoid of linemen that next year's depth chart will once again feature the same names twice: Once as a starter, and again - same player - as a backup elsewhere on the line.

Under Bollman offensive line depth, technique and discipline were lacking.Bollman's replacement will arrive in Columbus and find that he has exactly two returning offensive tackles: Andrew Norwell, who is pretty good, and Antonio Underwood [uncomfortable silence].

Reid Fragel is moving from TE to OT, a position that he has never played, yet he is a shoe-in to be the starter opposite Norwell. Still think Bollman bashing is hyperbolic?"

Not surprisingly, OSU fans ain't the sharpest knives in the drawer. I generally take most of what they say with a grain of salt as it also accompanies some rant about how Tressel statistically was the worst coach in their history (which doesn't even playout according to the stats). That said, I do have concerns as to their constant meme that Bollman's OLines underperformed and used poor technique. The play-calling complaints mean nothing to me considering he ain't calling plays at BC. But... OSU fans blaming the lack of OLinemen in the program on Bollman is insane (unless he too ran players off the team minutes before the season opener). The RC and Head Coach determining recruiting depth. If you left it up to the position coaches, they would always say they need more players (as talent and depth makes them look good and protects their jobs when there are injuries or flameouts). The fact that OSU has no OLine depth leads me to believe that the school never viewed OL as a recruiting priority (which could account for it being relatively weak versus the other positions).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:51 am

Great point about the depth being a recruiting issue not a position coach issue. I'd also be curious how much of the non-depth has to do with the scandal and with Tressel resigning. While I trust the OSU fans more than people who have not seen this guy's body of work, the ridiculous level criticism seems a bit odd. Of course, it can also be the case that because they have championship standards and championships staffers, that they consider someone who is a good but not championship caliber coach to be dreadful. It's all relative.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:While I trust the OSU fans more than people who have not seen this guy's body of work, the ridiculous level criticism seems a bit odd. Of course, it can also be the case that because they have championship standards and championships staffers, that they consider someone who is a good but not championship caliber coach to be dreadful. It's all relative.

Maybe they hate him because of that hat eagle9903 likes.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:While I trust the OSU fans more than people who have not seen this guy's body of work, the ridiculous level criticism seems a bit odd.

It's really not that odd for an OC. If Bollman was hired in that capacity, I would be scared. We all hated Bible and Tranq... but, if they were hired by a school only as a QB coach, I wouldn't necessarily predict disaster. I'd point out that our QBs stalled/regressed in development but also admit that (as OC) they had responsibilities beyond QB and that maybe they didn't have adequate time to work with and develop the QBs (just worried about implementing their system and weekly gameplans).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:While I trust the OSU fans more than people who have not seen this guy's body of work, the ridiculous level criticism seems a bit odd.

It's really not that odd for an OC. If Bollman was hired in that capacity, I would be scared. We all hated Bible and Tranq... but, if they were hired by a school only as a QB coach, I wouldn't necessarily predict disaster. I'd point out that our QBs stalled/regressed in development but also admit that (as OC) they had responsibilities beyond QB and that maybe they didn't have adequate time to work with and develop the QBs (just worried about implementing their system and weekly gameplans).

Right, I should have been more specific in that when it was pointed out that he wouldn't be calling plays, most OSU fans said it didn't matter and specifically said why he was a horrible OL coach too. They clearly hated him before he took over as OC.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Right, I should have been more specific in that when it was pointed out that he wouldn't be calling plays, most OSU fans said it didn't matter and specifically said why he was a horrible OL coach too. They clearly hated him before he took over as OC.

I should point out that most OSU fans are too stupid to even attend OSU.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I audibly chucked at this

+2
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

There is that. I still think the relatively of the situations is more of what I lean on to convince myself it is not a bad hire.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

There is that. I still think the relatively of the situations is more of what I lean on to convince myself it is not a bad hire.

The relativity of the situations works both ways.

Good hire slant: OSU fans are a bunch of spoiled retards who should have been happy with their 95% winning percentage in the 2000s, so their complaints should be ignored by fans of a school such as ours with relatively lesser success over the last 10 years and he's good enough for us!(at least relative to Devine);

Bad hire slant: OSU, through Tressel's awesomeness and Ohio's talent richness, had players of a higher quality offensive linemen relative to our own, therefore Bollman's results are inflated and will be worse at a place like BC.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 am

Brock to Special Teams coach per EA.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 am

If he is the ST coach, you'd have to think he would also pick up RC responsibilities. Though, that should never be announced until AFTER this POS recruiting class is signed. Then again, if Ravo is still vacationing with Coach Flip, his incompetence may still being protected.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:02 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If he is the ST coach, you'd have to think he would also pick up RC responsibilities. Though, that should never be announced until AFTER this POS recruiting class is signed. Then again, if Ravo is still vacationing with Coach Flip, his incompetence may still being protected.

I have no idea if Brock would be a great recruiting coordinator but:

1) nobody could be worse than Siravo
2) maybe this RC position is how BC SpazFlipolean persuaded Brock to stay
3) Brock is one of the few competent coaches on the staff IMO
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Gene back on the twitter: Spaz made two great hires. We are thrilled to welcome Doug Martin & Jim Bollman to the BC Family
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Saveagle on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Once again, he tries to create the illusion that he knew nothing of, and had nothing to do with, these two hires. Does he think the rest of the world is as dumb as Spaz?
Saveagle
Carney Hall

Postby Bunratty on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

On EA, Farrell is saying that Siravo is still DB and RC.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:On EA, Farrell is saying that Siravo is still DB and RC.

FML

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: New Coach?

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:11 pm

Duggan and Chudzinski are the only two from the current staff that are head coach material and Duggan isn't ready and Chud won't want it.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 pm

Justin Frye wants the job
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby durkcal on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:40 pm

Reviewing as many of Blake James hires as I reasonably could, at both BC and Miami, I came to two takeaways. 1) he is willing to promote from within, i.e. current staff, if they are either a hotshot proven candidate, and or the program is in amazingly good health, 2) Otherwise, he prefers head coaching experience, at least 6 years. And in this case, I don't believe he gives two craps about connections to the school.

He has never hired the equivalent of an Al Washington or Mike Reed. He did hire Mark Richt, but Mark Richt had like 15 years of head coaching experience. Based off of past trend, I "think" his list will be Shimko, Chudzinski, Chesney, Candle and Mullen. The first two are just to kick the tires on internal promo. He won't hire them, because : a) they are not blowaway candidates, and b) the program is not in amazing shape. (if it was, Haf would still be here)

Bill O'Brien could be on the list in place of Ches, Candle, or Mullen. I'd prefer he have a Carroll or J Knowles in there, especially over D Mullen or BOB. He could also like D Shaw or M Vrabel if they are somehow interested. He could interview D Brown, but I REALLY hope he doesn't.

IMO we ultimately end up with a better coach than Hafley. But he was way worse than people think. So this hire could still be far from successful. The only names that I have heard that could be close to as bad as Hafley was would be Tem Lukabu, J Frye and Al W. Al would be better than Haf, for sure, but there would be lots of mismanagement issues, the staff would be terrible, game management etc... It would be a mess. But the team would be tough, and there would be accountability. Hafley didn't have any of the latter. And he had some of the former.

Regarding all the portal Jeff crap, Hafley knew he was going 4-8 this year. Those portal guys aren't that good. And we have gaping holes that were not filled. The schedule goes from stay puff soft to carbon steel this year. A good coach can do better than 4-8 this year. We can finally bring some development back. Haf was turning roughly 10% of his incoming freshmen into starters (a few of them weak). That is unsustainable in a very bad way. You can talk portal portal. But when your guys consistently leave to go down to a lower level partly because they cannot beat out guys that came from another program, there is no development. We need a real head coach. A leader of men, that demands respect and accountability. And preferably believes that investing in a 2 minute quick scoring offense that moves the ball through the air has merit. Fingers crossed.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:49 pm

Disagree, Hafley took a talented 9-10 win team and coached them to 7 wins.

Offense has more than enough talent to win a lot of games next year. Defense needs help but hopefully spring portal can clean that up with the new coach.iIf Blake James hires a great coach… it’s the late aughts again. The pieces are there; let’s just hope he doesn’t fuck it up.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:05 pm

Hafley did BC a huge favor. We don't have to buy him out and his departure is great timing. We really don't risk losing anyone currently enrolled because where are they going to go? They wouldn't be able to enroll any where until June so it would be stupid to leave now. The only real risk is with the committed unenrolled kids, which would be Martinez and the 11 FRs. JH recruited Martinez at 0.0hio St and he has other suiters so there is defiantly a chance we could lose him. As far as the FRs, only Dixon and Torrence had other offers.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:27 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Hafley did BC a huge favor. We don't have to buy him out and his departure is great timing. We really don't risk losing anyone currently enrolled because where are they going to go? They wouldn't be able to enroll any where until June so it would be stupid to leave now. The only real risk is with the committed unenrolled kids, which would be Martinez and the 11 FRs. JH recruited Martinez at 0.0hio St and he has other suiters so there is defiantly a chance we could lose him. As far as the FRs, only Dixon and Torrence had other offers.

Why did Cameron not enroll? Do we know? I never heard the reasoning.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:17 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:Al would be better than Haf, for sure, but there would be lots of mismanagement issues, the staff would be terrible, game management etc... It would be a mess. But the team would be tough, and there would be accountability. Hafley didn't have any of the latter. And he had some of the former.

Why do you think there would be lots of issues re: management with Al? I have no idea what he's like as a coach, so I'm curious.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:50 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:Al would be better than Haf, for sure, but there would be lots of mismanagement issues, the staff would be terrible, game management etc... It would be a mess. But the team would be tough, and there would be accountability. Hafley didn't have any of the latter. And he had some of the former.

Why do you think there would be lots of issues re: management with Al? I have no idea what he's like as a coach, so I'm curious.

Well in the biggest game of the year.... he had the wrong personnel group on the DL for the final two plays of the game... coming off a Timeout. Given he hasn't ever even been a coordinator, that is about all we have to go on.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium