2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 am

31southst {l Wrote}:Rock.O's evaluation of Walsh FWIW:

Good kid, good athlete, good size. Average speed, slow release, strong arm. IMHO, he will end up at a different position. He was a good player in HS, but he was surrounded by other good players and all he had to do was distribute the ball, not carry the offense. He will be a solid citizen, but he was not even Ohio Univeristy's first choice at QB. And yes OU runs the spread read option. The same offense BC will be running. Lowrie will be Bordner's backup. They will recruit over Walsh in 2014.

As i said before Walsh's HS is in our league. My QB signed with Air Force Wednesday, and my back-up is a better QB than Walsh. Not a better athlete, but a better QB. He'll be a senior starter this year and he will end up playing in the MAC most likely, possibly low level BCS if he really lights things up.

BTW we have been running the read option as part of our package for at least 8 years. In my experience at the HS level we needed a different goal line approach and mentality so we would run a lot of 3 back stuff in the pistol near the goal line. All in all we had 7 kids sign D2 or above yesterday. That's a little more than usual for us. Air Force, Illinois, Miami were the headliners. Five more went D3 or NAIA.

Based on that description I think Walsh actually does make a lot of sense as a flier in a coaching transition class. He does not however warrant chasing off the best recruit in our class. I do hope I'm wrong though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.

Patchan is huge if he stays healthy. And that's a big if. Wen isaw he commited, I first thought Spadazzio deserved some props for beating out tOSU. After I thought about it, the more reasonable explanation was that OSU wasn't interested and BC was his only choice because his health is a major liability.

If Addazio wasn't the coach, he wouldn't have even considered BC, he deserves credit for that

Maybe so, but after Game 12 Patchan won't be much help!
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.

If yesterday was "a good day overall", what the hell does a bad day look like?
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am

maxwell22 {l Wrote}:If yesterday was "a good day overall", what the hell does a bad day look like?

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby maxwell22 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Image

It is Bush's fault!
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.

2*
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

There is nothing more annoying than Matttheagle and Shaddix ruining my arguments.

1) Jags and Spaz both had better transition classes than Addazio, this is really beyond question unless Rouse turns into a four year starter and NFL first round draft pick and Walsh starts (successfully) at QB for multiple years;
2) There is a significant mitigating factor that allows "1)" to not be legitimate grounds for the calling of the end times, most notably the well acknowledged Spaziani recruiting wrap up by September strategy. Examine the following: a) Jags walked into a 10 commit class (put aside the 10 win season the year before for the moment) in December of 2006 then Jeff Rieskamp decommitted and Willis left freeing up an additional scholarship. He had therefore, at least nine spots remaining. Jags did a very solid job under the time constraints as noted above. b) fast forward to the Spaz transition class, Jags left Spazoo with only 8 signees and he left targets that the Jags staff had been recruiting for months e.g. Kuechly, Finch and Naples not to mention significant portions of his staff e.g. Sirmans, Day, McGovern etc. Spaz had at least 9 spots remaining. Enter Addazio: He walks in the door with 17 signed players for a roster of 86 scholarship players (or 88 if you count the walk-ons the 'zoo gave schollies to). It has been accepted here as fact by those with whom I disagree that BC told Addazio he was honoring those scholarships. Thereafter, 4 recruits followed assistant coaches (Montesero) or new offers (Daniels[Iowa], Geiger [MSU]. Addazio brought in a former five star UF player at a position of need for a rental year, possible his kid (depending on if he takes a scholarship or not) and a QB the merits of whom are debatable elsewhere, the QB plus the perceived system cause an additional commit, Boyle, to leave. Rouse is taken after whiffs with Davis and Webb. I don't think it merits the words for why it is easier to recruit with nine+ spots than one or zero, but the bottomline is it is a poor comparison.
3) If someone needs a primer on why the current coach shouldn't be blamed for the recruiting ranking considering what he inherited vs. the other transition classes I suggest a single shot at the base of your skull for the good of the gene pool.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

There is nothing more annoying than Matttheagle and Shaddix ruining my arguments.

1) Jags and Spaz both had better transition classes than Addazio, this is really beyond question unless Rouse turns into a four year starter and NFL first round draft pick and Walsh starts (successfully) at QB for multiple years;
2) There is a significant mitigating factor that allows "1)" to not be legitimate grounds for the calling of the end times, most notably the well acknowledged Spaziani recruiting wrap up by September strategy. Examine the following: a) Jags walked into a 10 commit class (put aside the 10 win season the year before for the moment) in December of 2006 then Jeff Rieskamp decommitted and Willis left freeing up an additional scholarship. He had therefore, at least nine spots remaining. Jags did a very solid job under the time constraints as noted above. b) fast forward to the Spaz transition class, Jags left Spazoo with only 8 signees and he left targets that the Jags staff had been recruiting for months e.g. Kuechly, Finch and Naples not to mention significant portions of his staff e.g. Sirmans, Day, McGovern etc. Spaz had at least 9 spots remaining. Enter Addazio: He walks in the door with 17 signed players for a roster of 86 scholarship players (or 88 if you count the walk-ons the 'zoo gave schollies to). It has been accepted here as fact by those with whom I disagree that BC told Addazio he was honoring those scholarships. Thereafter, 4 recruits followed assistant coaches (Montesero) or new offers (Daniels[Iowa], Geiger [MSU]. Addazio brought in a former five star UF player at a position of need for a rental year, possible his kid (depending on if he takes a scholarship or not) and a QB the merits of whom are debatable elsewhere, the QB plus the perceived system cause an additional commit, Boyle, to leave. Rouse is taken after whiffs with Davis and Webb. I don't think it merits the words for why it is easier to recruit with nine+ spots than one or zero, but the bottomline is it is a poor comparison.
3) If someone needs a primer on why the current coach shouldn't be blamed for the recruiting ranking considering what he inherited vs. the other transition classes I suggest a single shot at the base of your skull for the good of the gene pool.

My point was that Jags' recruits were also 2 stars. Who's to say that this is a terrible class if you are comparing stars. Although i don't think it will be a good class, I'm willing to wait and see.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

My point was that Jags' recruits were also 2 stars. Who's to say that this is a terrible class if you are comparing stars. Although i don't think it will be a good class, I'm willing to wait and see.

But there is a right now difference that makes that a poor argument. Specifically, Jags targeted certain players (castanzo, davis and gause are all examples of this) and went out and got them. Addazio targeted players and whiffed. The reason it is not all that big a deal is two fold: Jags was selling a volvo-audi level product and Addazio is selling a two year old Kia that spent Sandy under water and also Jags could throw a net and take some fliers whereas Addazio had to target at most one or two positions and/or players at a time.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The Jags recruits that worked out best were 2 stars. Elliot and Eason were 4* - granted TOB was hitting them up, but Jags closed. Spinney was 3* and stolen from a D1 school. But yes, Gause, Costanzo, Davis, Newman and Momah were 2* or less.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:19 am

Is there an invisible conte ghost in the picture that I am missing?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

Is there an invisible conte ghost in the picture that I am missing?

nope - it's a bad day for me to realize these nerd attention whores will be graduates of my alma mater.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am

NERDS.

cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Apparently BC offered a preferred walk-on spot to punter Shane Tripucka, son of former Eagle Chris. He chose to walk on at A&M instead. I wonder what the price difference is between the two.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/33440/ua-all-american-p-tripucka-to-join-am

Under Armour All-American punter Shane Tripucka had several schools to choose from. But something about Texas A&M just felt right.

So on Thursday, he committed to the Aggies.

Three-star punter Shane Tripucka will be a preferred walk-on at Texas A&M.Tripucka, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound punter from Allen (Texas) High School, will join the Aggies as a preferred walk-on next season after informing head coach Kevin Sumlin and special teams coach Jeff Banks that he's A&M-bound.

"A&M, I talked to the coaches, I know they want me," Tripucka said. "They come down and see me, they call me all the time. It really felt like a good place to be....It feels like a great place to play football and a great choice for me."

Tripucka had a scholarship offer to Sam Houston State and had preferred walk-on opportunities to Texas, Texas Tech and Boston College.

Tripucka attended an A&M kicking camp over the summer and was originally recruited by former Aggies' special teams coach Brian Polian. Banks picked up where Polian left off when Polian left to become Nevada's head coach, making Tripucka one of his first calls.

"Both special teams coaches knew what they were doing," Tripucka said. "They knew about the position and cared about having good special teams and good kickers because it was important to them.

"When coach Polian left to Nevada, coach Banks called me right away. He just went from there and he was great and I really like him because he's a coach who has been in my situation before, being a punter. He knows what he's talking about and the technical parts of punting and kicking and I just really liked him."

At Allen, Tripucka was part of a team that won the Texas Class 5A Division I state championship this year. He averaged 42 yards per punt for the Eagles and his father Chris, who played for Boston College, said opponents have no punt return yardage against Shane in two seasons because of his consistent hangtime.

"It takes a huge weight off my chest," Tripucka said. "For the last two years, I've been working my butt off to get noticed by these schools. To finally have a decision, it makes you feel a lot better."

Tripucka is the second specialist in the 2013 class to receive a preferred walk-on opportunity at Texas A&M. Dallas/Jesuit kicker Cody Wicker, teammate of Texas A&M linebacker signee Jordan Mastrogiovanni, accepted an opportunity to be a preferred walk-on at Texas A&M as a placekicker according to his coach, Brandon Hickman.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby wildcat81 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
maxwell22 {l Wrote}:If yesterday was "a good day overall", what the hell does a bad day look like?

That bad day was turned to good. The script was flipped.
wildcat81
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm

John Johnson received offers from Pitt, Missouri and Duke after signing. This is apropos of nothing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCdee on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:01 pm

When will Patchan be enrolled at BC? Anyone know? I really hope our big nasties are back this year. I want a tough o-line back!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:When will Patchan be enrolled at BC? Anyone know? I really hope our big nasties are back this year. I want a tough o-line back!

He has one year, and it will be this upcoming season
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Don Brown is going to LOVE Matt Milano, wouldn't be surprised if he saw significant time next season.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 pm

The DB group in generally is going to be really good all 3 are underrated. Ntantang is a helluva athlete.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 pm

For years the BC admin has been in denial about the bad condition of the football program. This recruiting class is part of the problem not part of the solution so I think they still really don't "get it". Recruiting another year of "good kids" who really aren't competitive at the BCS level isn't fair to anyone. Rebounding from this deep hole that Spaz and Greasy Gene dug isn't guaranteed and this blown recruiting class pretty much guarantees another year in that dark hole. 2-3 wins a year is the new norm and that makes recruiting that more difficult. It takes more than ducking UCONN to make BC a competitive program again.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby erichroberts23 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:42 am

Yeah I have not posted in a while forgot my password. I have followed all you fans though. I have read some good shit and some straight garbage but since it has been a while I have a question for all. I keep in touch with a lot of recruits and even talk to them on the phone but what I am wondering is how come we do not have any Preferred Walk-on Commits? I think we should definitely have a few athletes who are very good but did not get that Division 1 offer that would be interested in us? Well would be good to hear from someone on this matter. If we do have a couple Preferred Walk-ons I have not seen or read or heard anything.
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 am

No one has a clue as to how Daziani will run things, but in the the past, walk-ons were rarely publicly announced by the school. We'd usually find out in the Spring or sometime in the Summer when kids reported. I thought there was a post in this thread linking to a newpaper article talking about a kid we told could be a preferred walk-on. I know there was another about an alum's kid who we asked to walk-on but lost out to TAMU.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 am

It was a punter we lost to TAMU. Given our punter sucked last year but, again, a punter.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:42 pm

247 Instant Impact Recruits

BOSTON COLLEGE
Myles Willis, RB, Atlanta (Ga.) Marist School -- Willis arguably is among the two or three most athletic players in the 2013 Boston College class. He played quarterback in high school, but projects as a running back in college. He has outstanding speed, accelerates extremely well and is more powerfully built that you'd expect from someone listed at 5-feet-10, 180 pounds. The Eagles were among the worst rushing teams in the country last year and they will be looking for playmakers to emerge in the backfield.

http://bostoncollege.247sports.com/Arti ... ing-120092
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium