2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Im really confused. If the kid could play in Oregon's system, how the heck does he not fit at BC. I thought Boyle was mobile anyway

Oregon's system isn't Oregon's system anymore.

The spread takes many different forms. You have spreads run by Holgorsen, Chip Kelly, Sumlin, Kingsbury, Mike Gundy, Chad Morris and Steve Logan, are essentially the evolution of the run-and-shoot. And then, you have the spreads run by Daziani, Paul Johnson and Ken Niumatalolo, which are essentially the evolution of the wishbone.

i hate to interrupt your flow, but Rich Rod is generally credited with creating the zone read out of the shotgun, which is what Kely ran at Oregon. Not sure how accurate it is to say that the read option evolved from the run and shoot. It's more complicated than that, given especially that Kelly sometimes used wishbone formations (Barner and James in the backfield) while running the zone read.

Interesting side note, that Ryan Day is being quoted at length in the Philly papers regarding Kelly: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/chip-kellys-first-quarterback-at-new-hampshire-talks-the-eagles-and-kellys-offense/

The bold part isn't remotely true. Logan was running zone read out of the shotgun with Jeff Blake and David Garrard long ago, and it found its way to a young Urban Meyer at Bowling Green. They are similar offenses now, but they were born from different sources - RichRods, the Veer, Logan's, the run and shoot. Hence the reason why RichRod was run heavy and Logan pass heavy.

Think you're wrong Teddy. Rich Rod was running it at Glennville State circa 1990. Not saying he was the only one who had the idea, but he's generally credited for the zone read out of the spread shotgun. Hard to support your claim that what I said "isn't remotely true."

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/09/oregon_ducks_offense_has_stron.html

Here too:http://nfl.si.com/2012/08/28/where-will-nfl-offenses-go-from-here/

Such was the case with the zone-read play that Rodriguez is widely credited with creating and which Tim Tebow so famously brought to the NFL stage last season. That design came about almost entirely by accident during Rich Rodriguez’s time as head coach at tiny Glenville (W.V.) State. As Rodriguez told SI’s Tim Layden in Blood, Sweat and Chalk, his quarterback at the time, Jed Drenning, bobbled a handoff attempt out of the shotgun and, instead, kept the ball and bolted to where a defensive end had vacated his position.

Logan was running it at a real college in 1991. They developed at the same time, and even IBpedia for RichRod notes the passing versions developed first. Logans was one of them.

It is interesting to look at what Logan did at ECU. When he was the OC under Lewis and had Blake he threw a whole lot, then in his first year as HC 1992 he called for a temple-esque 183 passes, which resulted in 924 yds (which by board definition means a service academy offense and is not a reflection on who the qb is), then he went nuts for the rest of the 90s until he got to Garrard with 4 or 5 straight years at or above 400 attempts, but with garrard the pass attempts were much closer to 300 than 400.

There was a whole paper that Logan wrote on the spread option from the shotgun and the ability to make run or pass heavy.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Im really confused. If the kid could play in Oregon's system, how the heck does he not fit at BC. I thought Boyle was mobile anyway

Oregon's system isn't Oregon's system anymore.

The spread takes many different forms. You have spreads run by Holgorsen, Chip Kelly, Sumlin, Kingsbury, Mike Gundy, Chad Morris and Steve Logan, are essentially the evolution of the run-and-shoot. And then, you have the spreads run by Daziani, Paul Johnson and Ken Niumatalolo, which are essentially the evolution of the wishbone.

i hate to interrupt your flow, but Rich Rod is generally credited with creating the zone read out of the shotgun, which is what Kely ran at Oregon. Not sure how accurate it is to say that the read option evolved from the run and shoot. It's more complicated than that, given especially that Kelly sometimes used wishbone formations (Barner and James in the backfield) while running the zone read.

Interesting side note, that Ryan Day is being quoted at length in the Philly papers regarding Kelly: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/01/25/chip-kellys-first-quarterback-at-new-hampshire-talks-the-eagles-and-kellys-offense/

The bold part isn't remotely true. Logan was running zone read out of the shotgun with Jeff Blake and David Garrard long ago, and it found its way to a young Urban Meyer at Bowling Green. They are similar offenses now, but they were born from different sources - RichRods, the Veer, Logan's, the run and shoot. Hence the reason why RichRod was run heavy and Logan pass heavy.

Think you're wrong Teddy. Rich Rod was running it at Glennville State circa 1990. Not saying he was the only one who had the idea, but he's generally credited for the zone read out of the spread shotgun. Hard to support your claim that what I said "isn't remotely true."

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/09/oregon_ducks_offense_has_stron.html

Here too:http://nfl.si.com/2012/08/28/where-will-nfl-offenses-go-from-here/

Such was the case with the zone-read play that Rodriguez is widely credited with creating and which Tim Tebow so famously brought to the NFL stage last season. That design came about almost entirely by accident during Rich Rodriguez’s time as head coach at tiny Glenville (W.V.) State. As Rodriguez told SI’s Tim Layden in Blood, Sweat and Chalk, his quarterback at the time, Jed Drenning, bobbled a handoff attempt out of the shotgun and, instead, kept the ball and bolted to where a defensive end had vacated his position.

Logan was running it at a real college in 1991. They developed at the same time, and even IBpedia for RichRod notes the passing versions developed first. Logans was one of them.

It is interesting to look at what Logan did at ECU. When he was the OC under Lewis and had Blake he threw a whole lot, then in his first year as HC 1992 he called for a temple-esque 183 passes, which resulted in 924 yds (which by board definition means a service academy offense and is not a reflection on who the qb is), then he went nuts for the rest of the 90s until he got to Garrard with 4 or 5 straight years at or above 400 attempts, but with garrard the pass attempts were much closer to 300 than 400.

There was a whole paper that Logan wrote on the spread option from the shotgun and the ability to make run or pass heavy.

I think Logan is a genius. I obviously would have preferred him to Spaz. Circling this back to the current BC situation, I know Addazio is not going to be a Dykes, Leach, Holgorson guy, ever. I like those kind of offenses a lot, they might be successful at BC it would be interesting to see. All I am hoping for is that Addazio is philosophically more Urban Meyer than Paul Johnson. Since he came up under Meyer, this doesn't seem unreasonable to expect; of course provided that Temple was fitting the system to the personnel and not a philosophically based decision making.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm

For anyone that watched OSU this year under Urban, all they did was basically run the ball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:53 pm

I don't care what offense we run as long as we win.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:For anyone that watched OSU this year under Urban, all they did was basically run the ball.

strong, fast non-goldilocks with a shitty arm.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 pm

Didn't realize Boyle had won 3 straight high school state championships. Sure it's CT, but still the kid's a winner. How appropriate that BC would distance itself from him.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I don't care what offense we run as long as we win.

While I'm mostly with you, I can't fathom the thought of watching a Paul Johnson Triple Option (or whatever the hell he runs) at BC. I just can't get into that offense. Then again, it's REALLY hard to get into terrible BC football, so I'd take their success at the moment.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

While I'm mostly with you, I can't fathom the thought of watching a Paul Johnson Triple Option (or whatever the hell he runs) at BC. I just can't get into that offense. Then again, it's REALLY hard to get into terrible BC football, so I'd take their success at the moment.

BC is not trying to instill a triple option offense. Maybe the best comparative example would be what Bill Snyder does at Kansas State.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:35 am

So, according to BCI, Boyle is down to BC, Pitt, UConn. They mention that Pitt might not have anymore room in their class, and UConn already has a 3* pro-style QB. Begs the question, is there any chance Boyle stays?
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 am

:shrug
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:So, according to BCI, Boyle is down to BC, Pitt, UConn. They mention that Pitt might not have anymore room in their class, and UConn already has a 3* pro-style QB. Begs the question, is there any chance Boyle stays?

Im still not convinced that Boyle cant work here under Addazio. What Logan did with Matt Ryan aside, look what he did with Crane. Took a pocket guy who spent 4 years under TOB/Bible, and operated an effective read option type offense. Crane was not a dual threat type guy but still ran the ball 80+ times for 7 TD's in 2008 before getting hurt.

I think Boyle is much more athletic than Crane was and he has a better arm than Walsh. Obviously its totally understandable if he were to flip (although Pitt seems full and yukon is yukon) but I think it can work here with him.

I also wonder if Addazio even cares at this point. Is he actively recruiting Boyle to stay (with Walsh on board) or is it just up to Boyle and if he stays then :shrug .
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}::shrug
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:So, according to BCI, Boyle is down to BC, Pitt, UConn. They mention that Pitt might not have anymore room in their class, and UConn already has a 3* pro-style QB. Begs the question, is there any chance Boyle stays?

Im still not convinced that Boyle cant work here under Addazio. What Logan did with Matt Ryan aside, look what he did with Crane. Took a pocket guy who spent 4 years under TOB/Bible, and operated an effective read option type offense. Crane was not a dual threat type guy but still ran the ball 80+ times for 7 TD's in 2008 before getting hurt.

I think Boyle is much more athletic than Crane was and he has a better arm than Walsh. Obviously its totally understandable if he were to flip (although Pitt seems full and yukon is yukon) but I think it can work here with him.

I also wonder if Addazio even cares at this point. Is he
actively recruiting Boyle to stay (with Walsh on board) or is it just up to Boyle and if he stays then
:shrug .

At this point, it appears he is leaving the choice to Boyle.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:37 am

My opinion is that if Boyle stays, it'll be because he clearly loves BC the school, Pitt/Oregon appear to have filled up, and UConn is in a crappy conference with a tenuous coaching situation itself (meaning he might have to deal with this a year from now). Hopefully Boyle stays and tries to win the job, realizing that if Daz does prove to be totally stubborn he can transfer after two years and still have two to play somewhere else. Maybe seeing Chase and (hopefully) having success with him will show Daz that a spread can work with a pro-style QB.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

BC is not trying to instill a triple option offense. Maybe the best comparative example would be what Bill Snyder does at Kansas State.

I know - I wasn't implying that's what Daz wants to run. My point is that I do care, to some extent, what offense we run. I gave Paul Johnson's Offense as an example of what I would never want to see at BC.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:16 am

Silas Spearman commits to FIU on his visit.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Silas Spearman commits to FIU on his visit.

I'm not big on "he never could get into BC", but I think this is actually a situation where the kid was absolutely nowhere near our standards.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Silas Spearman commits to FIU on his visit.

I'm not big on "he never could get into BC", but I think this is actually a situation where the kid was absolutely nowhere near our standards.

Im not sure he was very good anyway...

Seems like the other 2 RBs are higher thought of.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Last big recruiting weekend of the year. Who besides Robert Davis is visiting?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Assuming Robert Davis verbals this weekend, what happens wih Tyler Rouse? I'd like to see BC still go on him as a complimentary back (almost a Haden/Harris thing).

BTW, Temple's new coach just stole a commit from West Virginia... who also happens to be one of the best RBs in Jersey (Zaire Williams). I don't know how Temple's new coach can out-recruit its former coach for a RB... but there you have it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Assuming Robert Davis verbals this weekend, what happens wih Tyler Rouse? I'd like to see BC still go on him as a complimentary back (almost a Haden/Harris thing).

BTW, Temple's new coach just stole a commit from West Virginia... who also happens to be one of the best RBs in Jersey (Zaire Williams). I don't know how Temple's new coach can out-recruit its former coach for a RB... but there you have it.

See nate smith previous year.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Assuming Robert Davis verbals this weekend, what happens wih Tyler Rouse? I'd like to see BC still go on him as a complimentary back (almost a Haden/Harris thing).

Yea, Zaire is soo good that he didn't even earn a BC offer....
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Who made that evaluation? Spaz or Daz? Either way, I trust WV and Wisco from a player evaluation perspective a hell of a lot more than I do our own. And, while I like Davis and hope we land him, don't talk about him being anywhere near the same recruit as Williams. Davis was basically told by Tuberville to find another school. Further, if we win his commitment, it will be over the powerhouse known as Memphis. Of course, since Dazoo has already secured a recruiting loss against Toledo, I understand why beating Memphis should be considered a major accomplishment.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Who made that evaluation? Spaz or Daz? Either way, I trust WV and Wisco from a player evaluation perspective a hell of a lot more than I do our own. And, while I like Davis and hope we land him, don't talk about him being anywhere near the same recruit as Williams. Davis was basically told by Tuberville to find another school. Further, if we win his commitment, it will be over the powerhouse known as Memphis. Of course, since Dazoo has already secured a recruiting loss against Toledo, I understand why beating Memphis should be considered a major accomplishment.

The only reason he committed to Temple was because of location..... It wasn't exactly a masterful recruiting job by Rhule
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Davis didn't want to play for tuberville, not othetwise.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 am

Williams was one of six wvu rb commits. Six.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am

Does HJS actually know ANYTHING about recruiting? or does he just like to troll?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

The only reason he committed to Temple was because of location..... It wasn't exactly a masterful recruiting job by Rhule

Really? Because, according to my Rutgers guys, they were still after him. Philly is not THAT much closer to AC than New Brunswick. As for location being the sole reason for his school choice, are you pretending he didn't previously verbal to West Virginia???
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Does HJS actually know ANYTHING about recruiting? or does he just like to troll?

This coming from our "recruiting guy" who didn't realize Zaire Williams previously verballed to West Virginia. Fucking just check Google once or twice before dropping your "knowledge" on us.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Williams was one of six wvu rb commits. Six.

Why wasn't Daziani successful in trying to flip any of those six... SIX... running backs, after he lost our only one to fucking Iowa?
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Davis didn't want to play for tuberville, not othetwise.

Let's remember this post when UConn fans tell us how they "stole" Boyle from us.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Does HJS actually know ANYTHING about recruiting? or does he just like to troll?

This coming from our "recruiting guy" who didn't realize Zaire Williams previously verballed to West Virginia. Fucking just check Google once or twice before dropping your "knowledge" on us.

I knew he committed to West Virginia? When did I say I didn't? The reason he flipped was because of location. Read a book or something.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Williams was one of six wvu rb commits. Six.

Why wasn't Daziani successful in trying to flip any of those six... SIX... running backs, after he lost our only one to fucking Iowa?
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Davis didn't want to play for tuberville, not othetwise.

Let's remember this post when UConn fans tell us how they "stole" Boyle from us.

Straw men both.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium