2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:32 am

garf112 {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:I understand this is a big loss and Isaacs has some great potential but him decommiting doesn't destroy our future like some of you are saying. Kids decommit all the time and it sucks but the fact is that we have 4-5 TE's that will be on the roster next year (Miller, Darmstatter, Giacone, Crimmins)

I still like our class and we've picked up some nice weapons. (Boyle, Lowrie, Coggins, Willis and some others)

That being said I want Spaz fired

I'm sorry, but some of these guys certainly have talent and potential, but too many are high risk, high low reward, late offer types.

Oh, and as to the "TE depth," we literally have a fucking tackle playing tight end right now. The Spaz era can't end fast enough.

Fixed.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 am

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:I understand this is a big loss and Isaacs has some great potential but him decommiting doesn't destroy our future like some of you are saying.

You are correct. Spaz and Gene co-own the destruction of Boston College's football program.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWomp on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 pm

BC has gotten commits from so many TE in the last few years. Not just unknown guys with just MAC offers, but guys with multiple BCS offers, 3 and 4 star guys . What the hell has happenned to all these guys. TE and LB were seemingly the two positions with which everybody was comfortable. Giacone and Crimmins last year, Miller was a 4-star the year before, Darmsetter and Naples in the previous years. All quality recruits. I think the new turf is eating these guys up.
BCWomp
Carney Hall

Postby erichroberts23 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Andrew Issacs decommitted from BC and will likely pick Maryland.

I can not believe that Andrew Isaacs de-committed and for Maryland. Looked like we did everything for him as we added more offensive weapons, 2 good quarterbacks but I just do not know. This is why I am not always the biggest fan of early commits because it gives them so much time and then they become bored with already being committed and want to check out other places. Seriously though Maryland? I must be missing something maybe he had a long standing rapport with Edsall from when he was coaching Uconn.
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby erichroberts23 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:I understand this is a big loss and Isaacs has some great potential but him decommiting doesn't destroy our future like some of you are saying. Kids decommit all the time and it sucks but the fact is that we have 4-5 TE's that will be on the roster next year (Miller, Darmstatter, Giacone, Crimmins)

I still like our class and we've picked up some nice weapons. (Boyle, Lowrie, Coggins, Willis and some others)

That being said I want Spaz fired

I have to agree with JoeyFennFenn, Andrew Isaacs de-committing from Boston College does not destroy our future. We have some real talented guys in this class and no recruit is a slam dunk to be a star. However, a few months ago when Quinn Thompson 6'5 225 4.7 , wanted to commit to BC but was turned down I knew that it was a mistake. From EagleAction.com "Quinn Thompson had planned on committing to Boston College but he was just a few hours late on his phone call and was informed it would not work out." What does that mean would not work out? They knew all along that Andrew Isaacs was a soft verbal so they turned down a commit as they like to do and he chose to commit to Conn. We are still having a good class and I have high expectations for BC this year and for years to come but do not turn down a good player that wants to commit and this absolutely will not destroy out program.
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby erichroberts23 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Just read this via twitter ...

https://twitter.com/BrianDohnScout/status/235368333380288513

TE Andrew Isaacs said his flip from #BC to #Maryland was purely academics because BC didn't have his intended major of broadcasting

I dont really understand it as there is a communications major and there are a ton of BC guys in high profile TV positions (T. Hasselebeck, Mike Mayock, Doug Flutie, Damien Woody just to name a few).

The recruiting in Mass and this decommitment scream 2 things, they know Spaz is out and they know the buffoon in charge wont hire a suitable replacement.

Isaacs is a Putz. You proved it for him. Academics, really? So you chose Maryland over BC's academics. They did not have broadcasting. So if they do not have broadcasting Andrew then you would have just had to take a real major like engineering and all the broadcasting jobs these days go to ex-professional players or ex-college standouts. If he went to BC but was not good enough to make it to the NFL then him being the starting tight end for Boston College would have been a broadcasting major for him.
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby erichroberts23 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:18 pm

[url]
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Oren Burks to Vandy. Vandy also picked up Tre Bell (CB from St Peters Prep) who flipped from a Florida commitment, don't think BC was involved however.

[size=150]I am putting this in large letters maybe capitalized because it is driving me nuts but I want to know what the Hell IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT VANDERBILT?

The only thing they have going for them is they can say "We are the worse team in the SEC" They maybe in the SEC but they are a terrible team and always have

been. Since 1999, they have a record of 47wins and 106 losses compared to Boston College that has a record of 107wins and 58losses. Vanderbilt has only been to

five bowl games ever and only won 2 of them(Ironically, Vanderbilt beat BC, 16-14 in the Music City Bowl and ended our 8-consecutive bowl win streak.)Also, Vandy

has a sort of young coach; who is hip and a good orator, and charismatic. Let's take a look at Vanderbilt's 2012 commits; 22 commits, 4 four-star and the

rest are high 3 stars and then their 2013 commits there are 19 of them 3 are four-star and the rest are 3star. I have always stated rankings do not matter but

this terrible team is raking in the commits. So I realized it has to be the coach, do recruits want to play for Mr.Cool,Phony bologna James Franklin or "The Spaz."

Last year 4star DE Caleb Azubike,CB Paris Head chose Vandy over BC and this year LB Oren Burks and TE Nathan Marcus have chose them over us. I am

venting because I can not believe the top tier recruits Vandy brings in they stink. I think James Franklin is full of shit but ESPN,ESPNU and even recruits buy

into his bull and it is better than being a dead beat coach like Spaz who does not show interest in the top recruits until after they made their summer camp

plans. Also, Spaz smile once in while it does not hurt I promise. I have talked to so many recruits from California to Connecticut and they love BC, so many

have nothing but positives to say about our great football team so when I ask "how come not more interest in BC? or you would be a great fit or our you going to

visit BC?" I have gotten these types of answers: I did not know BC was interested, Ill say EA says their interested and they will say no I just got mail from them

or they have said I wanted to visit BC but they did not show interest until after I made summer plans so they are giving other teams the advantage right

away by showing late interest. Lastly, I may not like J.Franklin but he is a Lion and sinks his teeth into the Gazelles(recruits)
[/size][/url]
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby UK Eagle on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:18 am

Looks like Charles Callinan is set to choose between BC and Rutgers. I am not confident...

http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1396599
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 am

UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am

hopefully the next coach can finish the job
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:06 am

While I by no means feel confident about Callinan, I do think there's a decent chance we land him. He seems like a BC-type guy and the recent Rutgers staff turnover makes me think that he might realize that any staff can be gone at any reason (much like what happened with Giacone), and you should therefore pick based off permanent things about the school.

As for Maurice, he reminds me a lot of Jaxon Hood from last year in the sense that I think he's ours to lose all the way up until if/when he gets better offers.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am

31southst {l Wrote}:While I by no means feel confident about Callinan, I do think there's a decent chance we land him. He seems like a BC-type guy and the recent Rutgers staff turnover makes me think that he might realize that any staff can be gone at any reason (much like what happened with Giacone), and you should therefore pick based off permanent things about the school.

As for Maurice, he reminds me a lot of Jaxon Hood from last year in the sense that I think he's ours to lose all the way up until if/when he gets better offers.

I actually think Maurice is solid if/when he commits. Like a lot of guys were trying to do with Isaacs, it seems a few ofhe current commits have reached out to Maurice via twitter and he seems very high on BC. Unlike Isaacs, Maurice has actually had open dialogue with some of the current commits in re: to how much he likes BC
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am

This year goes one of two ways. One is if Spaz is not fired. The other way this class goes is this season goes badly and Spaz is fired. What does this class mean to the new coach? He will need bodies, but will he want these? It would be interesting to see if the new coach would keep any staff and if one, who it would be. Right now only 5 kids in the class have good options elsewhere. Of the other 11, you hope some will have strong senior seasons, but that will attract attention and maybe offers. So what is the new coach left with? Not much? So you have to hope the new guy has all of January and most of December to scramble to find a few guys at the margin. The more the new coach is a GDF choice, the more staff he will probably insist on staying. Right or wrong, I would guess Washington and Siravo would be the only two considered for retention by a new coach. Hopefully the staff who want to be retained recognize the value of staying in tough with the better recruits and hopefully will be open to a pitch from the new coach.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am

BCWest {l Wrote}:This year goes one of two ways. One is if Spaz is not fired. The other way this class goes is this season goes badly and Spaz is fired. What does this class mean to the new coach? He will need bodies, but will he want these? It would be interesting to see if the new coach would keep any staff and if one, who it would be. Right now only 5 kids in the class have good options elsewhere. Of the other 11, you hope some will have strong senior seasons, but that will attract attention and maybe offers. So what is the new coach left with? Not much? So you have to hope the new guy has all of January and most of December to scramble to find a few guys at the margin. The more the new coach is a GDF choice, the more staff he will probably insist on staying. Right or wrong, I would guess Washington and Siravo would be the only two considered for retention by a new coach. Hopefully the staff who want to be retained recognize the value of staying in tough with the better recruits and hopefully will be open to a pitch from the new coach.

I've wondered which staffers would be possiblities to stay (it seems like one or two usually do for continuity). I think Washington has been a very good recruiter, but his resume up until now didn't scream BCS level coach. That said, something like assistant DL/assistant ST/recruiting coordinator could make sense. For Siravo, I think he's actually a decent DB coach but I very much hope a new HC would take away his recruiting coordinator title. Of the other guys, I think McGovern is a very good LB coach but I don't know that he would be retained as DC and don't think he'd take a step down to stay. Maybe LB/Assistant HC title?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby StayBlessed on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Last edited by StayBlessed on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StayBlessed
Carney Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:24 pm

People seem conflicted about this kid.

Some people call him Maurice.

Some people call him the gangster of love.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 pm

StayBlessed {l Wrote}:TE/WR Callinan picks BC!

http://bostoncollege.scout.com/a.z?s=16 ... id=5549760

Good news twice in a row for BC, first Finch then Callinan. I like Callinan as a WR or TE.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm

It's already been such a roller coaster and we are like 2 weeks into practice. I bet the Isaacs decommit played into his decision. Bc is looking good for 2014 right now thats all I can say with 2 of Jonathan Hilliman's teammates now committed to BC as well as John Wolford's brother and probably his best friend and teammate Cameron Singletary. 2 LEGIT ESPN top 100 prospects probably both rated in the top 50 next year not to mention Wolford is a QB and Hilliman is a RB.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:It's already been such a roller coaster and we are like 2 weeks into practice. I bet the Isaacs decommit played into his decision. Bc is looking good for 2014 right now thats all I can say with 2 of Jonathan Hilliman's teammates now committed to BC as well as John Wolford's brother and probably his best friend and teammate Cameron Singletary. 2 LEGIT ESPN top 100 prospects probably both rated in the top 50 next year not to mention Wolford is a QB and Hilliman is a RB.

If Spaz is still coach, none of the above will end up on the Heights.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 pm

garf112 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:It's already been such a roller coaster and we are like 2 weeks into practice. I bet the Isaacs decommit played into his decision. Bc is looking good for 2014 right now thats all I can say with 2 of Jonathan Hilliman's teammates now committed to BC as well as John Wolford's brother and probably his best friend and teammate Cameron Singletary. 2 LEGIT ESPN top 100 prospects probably both rated in the top 50 next year not to mention Wolford is a QB and Hilliman is a RB.

actually in this case its the opposite. these kids like the coaching staff and if spaz is fired there's a great chance at least one of them will transfer and there won't be enough time for the new coach to develop a relationship
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:17 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:

actually in this case its the opposite. these kids like the coaching staff and if spaz is fired there's a great chance at least one of them will transfer and there won't be enough time for the new coach to develop a relationship

At this point unless there is a miracle this is Spaz's final contract. He will not be coaching anyone he recruits now through their entire college career. Anyone picking BC at this point I hope is picking the school and not just the staff. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:At this point unless there is a miracle this is Spaz's final contract. He will not be coaching anyone he recruits now through their entire college career. Anyone picking BC at this point I hope is picking the school and not just the staff. :ace

Logi, any thoughts on what it will take for Spaz to stay? Do you think 6-6 will do it or might he actually have to have a winning record? I'm done guessing as to what if anything goes through Gene's head on this topic.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWomp on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 am

The fanbase has reached a point of getting excited when we get a guy with only UConn and Rutgers offers. The bar has been successfully lowered to a point where anything beyond MAC offers is an improvement.
BCWomp
Carney Hall

Postby joesim on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 am

Drew Barksdale upgraded to a 3 star 71 on ESPN
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... -barksdale
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 am

BCWomp {l Wrote}:

The fanbase has reached a point of getting excited when we get a guy with only UConn and Rutgers offers. The bar has been successfully lowered to a point where anything beyond MAC offers is an improvement.

He is a prep guy, this is important.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:10 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:At this point unless there is a miracle this is Spaz's final contract. He will not be coaching anyone he recruits now through their entire college career. Anyone picking BC at this point I hope is picking the school and not just the staff. :ace

Logi, any thoughts on what it will take for Spaz to stay? Do you think 6-6 will do it or might he actually have to have a winning record? I'm done guessing as to what if anything goes through Gene's head on this topic.

Spaz was a mortal lock before the regime change to stay if he had gotten a bowl bid. 5-7 and he was out even with Flip's support. For those in 10-2/8-4 mode, my understanding is that Flip "retired" because he was going to be fired with Spaz after the season if it turned into a disaster. Bottom line Gene finally faced reality on the shit show he created with backing luigi and walked away. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:54 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Spaz was a mortal lock before the regime change to stay if he had gotten a bowl bid. 5-7 and he was out even with Flip's support. For those in 10-2/8-4 mode, my understanding is that Flip "retired" because he was going to be fired with Spaz after the season if it turned into a disaster. Bottom line Gene finally faced reality on the shit show he created with backing luigi and walked away. :ace

I can confirm this is what I've heard as well. Barring a miracle (granted for Spaz's team maybe 8/9 wins) the both of them were gone
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 pm

ATH Rachid Ibrahim postponed his decision. He's taking officials to both Iowa (against ISU) and BC (against Clemson) and wants more time to make up his mind. It's nice to see someone put off their decision if they don't feel ready to make one instead of committing/decommitting.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:39 pm

WR Dionte Taylor is probably taking an official for the Miami game. Only other definite for an official for him is Nebraska. I'm happy to see we're still recruiting him even after the Charlie Callinan commitment.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:37 pm

The announcement of GDF's retirement should have little effect on recruits? Right?
QuailMan
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium