2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:13 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Bama spent $930,997 on recruiting last year, and they're a school that recruits itself. I wonder how much BC budgets for recruiting purposes?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/how_much_do_alabama_schools_sp.html#incart_flyout_sports

Considerably less. BC spends $555,652 on recruiting - but that's a total of all men's sports. $1,402,041 was the total for all Alabama men's sports, so if BC spent in a similar ratio (and that's not entirely accurate in BC's favor - BC has more varsity men's sports offered than Alabama) they spent ~$368,952 recruiting football, on the high end.

got my data from da gubmint http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

It should be noted that Stanford spent half as much on FB recruiting than Bama and possibly could've beaten them each of the past two seasons. Look, there is no question that 12 of the 14 SEC programs have huge recruiting advantages to land top players who have tunnel-vision to the NFL (as does another dozen or so schools in the combined other conferences). However, while it certainly can be a factor, being a factory doesn't necessarily equate to on-field success.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Bama spent $930,997 on recruiting last year, and they're a school that recruits itself. I wonder how much BC budgets for recruiting purposes?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/how_much_do_alabama_schools_sp.html#incart_flyout_sports

Considerably less. BC spends $555,652 on recruiting - but that's a total of all men's sports. $1,402,041 was the total for all Alabama men's sports, so if BC spent in a similar ratio (and that's not entirely accurate in BC's favor - BC has more varsity men's sports offered than Alabama) they spent ~$368,952 recruiting football, on the high end.

got my data from da gubmint http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

It should be noted that Stanford spent half as much on FB recruiting than Bama and possibly could've beaten them each of the past two seasons. Look, there is no question that 12 of the 14 SEC programs have huge recruiting advantages to land top players who have tunnel-vision to the NFL (as does another dozen or so schools in the combined other conferences). However, while it certainly can be a factor, being a factory doesn't necessarily equate to on-field success.

I dont think the recruiting budget really means much. Besides telling us what we already know (that Leahy and BC are cheap), I dont think money could have been wasted in a worse way than a higher recruiting budget with :spaz2 . I literally think I would have had more enjoyment lighting cash on fire and watching it burn than give spaz more money to recruit two stars with MAC offers so they commit by September 1. If the dazzler goes out and has a moderate level of success, maybe he can make the arguement/request to bump it up (or maybe he already has)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am

Looking back on the disaster that is this class. Even though losing Tim Boyle is a blow, I think the biggest blow to the program is losing Daniels. We didn't recruit a RB last year (no disrespect to Craan and Dudek). And, we still haven't landed a RB in this class. Given the frequent injuries to the position, you simply can't take two recruiting years off. Further, Daziani has scared off WRs and QBs due to his reputation for having a run-almost-exclusively offense. Lacking talented RBs will have a big impact on his preferred offense. The fact that we lost Daniels to Iowa... a struggling program who has recruited highly rated RBs each of the last 2 years... and whose 2 top rushers this year were RSF... is troubling and speaks to Daz's preculiar recruiting difficulties this overlapping year.

Speaking of Daz's struggles in recruiting... perhaps the most troubling recruiting failure of Daz's tenure is his inability to get Andrew Isaacs to reconsider. We are talking about a Connecticut Tight End whose close friend and teammate is coming to BC. Isaacs fashions himself the next Aaron Hernandez, yet has no interest in playing for Hernandez's supposed favorite coach. Now, I admit, it is entirely possible that Mike Locksley bought his family a new car and he is stuck going to Maryland. But, outside of that, failing to re-recruit a 4-star TE (a position that Dazoo supposedly likes to use more than most) who originally committed to Spaz, who is from Daz's home turf, who is going to the only program we have beaten each of the last 2 seasons to play for a coach about to be fired... is simply inexcusable.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby guiltyparticipant on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:29 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Looking back on the disaster that is this class. Even though losing Tim Boyle is a blow, I think the biggest blow to the program is losing Daniels. We didn't recruit a RB last year (no disrespect to Craan and Dudek). And, we still haven't landed a RB in this class. Given the frequent injuries to the position, you simply can't take two recruiting years off. Further, Daziani has scared off WRs and QBs due to his reputation for having a run-almost-exclusively offense. Lacking talented RBs will have a big impact on his preferred offense. The fact that we lost Daniels to Iowa... a struggling program who has recruited highly rated RBs each of the last 2 years... and whose 2 top rushers this year were RSF... is troubling and speaks to Daz's preculiar recruiting difficulties this overlapping year.

Speaking of Daz's struggles in recruiting... perhaps the most troubling recruiting failure of Daz's tenure is his inability to get Andrew Isaacs to reconsider. We are talking about a Connecticut Tight End whose close friend and teammate is coming to BC. Isaacs fashions himself the next Aaron Hernandez, yet has no interest in playing for Hernandez's supposed favorite coach. Now, I admit, it is entirely possible that Mike Locksley bought his family a new car and he is stuck going to Maryland. But, outside of that, failing to re-recruit a 4-star TE (a position that Dazoo supposedly likes to use more than most) who originally committed to Spaz, who is from Daz's home turf, who is going to the only program we have beaten each of the last 2 seasons to play for a coach about to be fired... is simply inexcusable.

This is spot on. It is really becoming evident that Stank Daziani's preference for a service academy offense is now responsible for driving away running backs. Who would want that many carries? I also agree that the primary recruiter of a player in a recruiting class leaving and going to another school is absolutely no excuse for losing the recruit. I don't think it should matter that the recruit was looking for a big10 offer all along either or specifically following his recruiter to the new school. I think it's time we start thinking about blaming the new staff for last years strike out at RB too. Finally, I think we all know that Myles Willis can't possibly play running back and there are no recruits still up in the air, so I think it is crystal clear that it is fair to call this a two year whiff.

Listen, we know that Spaziani had some nice players in this class, HJS and others were saying so all along. Now, the Dazzler comes along and let it all fall apart. It's really inexcusable. It's probably about time to consider that Addaziani is worse than his predecessor.

There is really no doubt that Dazzoo should have flipped back Isaacs either. He is from Connecticut, BeDazzled is from Connecticut. Aaron Hernandez is a good tight end that has a connection to Dazzerelli. Edsall has only been recruiting Isaacs since 2010 when he was still at UConn, I don't think it is close to relevant that no one on the BC staff had never been recruiting him before. This is a no brainer.
Feminism is hot.
guiltyparticipant
n00b

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 am

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/news/article/6225187148052574251/football-tyler-rouse-of-baldwinsville-will-sign-with-boston-college/

Looks like Tyler Rouse got an offer and committed. I have no idea if this means anything for Robert Davis, but considering all the commits we've lost, I don't mind using a scholarship here. Even if we end up with Davis too in addition to Rouse and Willis, all three seem versatile enough that it will sort itself out.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 am

31southst {l Wrote}:http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/news/article/6225187148052574251/football-tyler-rouse-of-baldwinsville-will-sign-with-boston-college/

Looks like Tyler Rouse got an offer and committed. I have no idea if this means anything for Robert Davis, but considering all the commits we've lost, I don't mind using a scholarship here. Even if we end up with Davis too in addition to Rouse and Willis, all three seem versatile enough that it will sort itself out.

This looks like a solid commit to me, and at a position of desperate need. Reminds me a little of Finch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/news/article/6225187148052574251/football-tyler-rouse-of-baldwinsville-will-sign-with-boston-college/

This looks like a solid commit to me, and at a position of desperate need. Reminds me a little of Finch.

It should not mean anything relating to Davis in and of itself. One is a 3 down RB, one is a slot receiver/3rd down back/kr and pr.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:51 am

I like Rouse. He reminds me of Ray Rice when he was coming out of New Roc City.

I think that this is a sign that they missed out on Davis. That said, I do not think the two should be mutually exclusive. While they are both very small, they have different running styles (Davis relies a lot on his speed and quickness while Rouse seems to rely more on balance and toughness).

As for Willis, I am unaware of him being told what position he will play at BC. I've seen All-Purpose Back and WR... I actually wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the defensive backfield (as Don Brown's D puts a premium on DBs with Athleticism).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I like Rouse. He reminds me of Ray Rice when he was coming out of New Roc City.

I think that this is a sign that they missed out on Davis. That said, I do not think the two should be mutually exclusive. While they are both very small, they have different running styles (Davis relies a lot on his speed and quickness while Rouse seems to rely more on balance and toughness).

As for Willis, I am unaware of him being told what position he will play at BC. I've seen All-Purpose Back and WR... I actually wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the defensive backfield (as Don Brown's D puts a premium on DBs with Athleticism).

Agreed that Davis and Rouse are not mutually exclusive (nor is Willis for that matter). Willis was definitely an RB under Spaz and I haven't seen any indication that he's been told otherwise. That said, it's part of why I'd have no problem with 3 RBs in this class. At least one could definitely end up at WR or DB, never mind being return men, etc.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 am

This appeared before Davis visited BC but made it sound like Memphis would be tough to beat. Hopefully he was Dazzled.

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/m ... vis/16440/
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 am

Rouse's 333 carries his senior year shows some surprise durability for a small back. 2900+ yards, 45 TDs, 8.9 avg are some pretty filthy numbers regardless of what conference you play in. I think Rouse could turn out to be a diamond in the rough if he's healthy during his time at BC.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Rouse's 333 carries his senior year shows some surprise durability for a small back. 2900+ yards, 45 TDs, 8.9 avg are some pretty filthy numbers regardless of what conference you play in. I think Rouse could turn out to be a diamond in the rough if he's healthy during his time at BC.

He plays in a pretty good conference for the northeast. Same as JoLonn Dunbar, and the top level of football in NY State.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 am

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:This appeared before Davis visited BC but made it sound like Memphis would be tough to beat. Hopefully he was Dazzled.

By all indications, he had a great trip and most thought he was going to be ours. That said, we had been holding off on offering Rouse. Nothing has changed since he visited and us extending an offer. Since things haven't exactly gone smoothly for Dazoo since taking the reigns, I'm guessing they found out Davis isn't coming here.

Looking at the Twitter machine, it seems that RD5 has his LOI in hand and is telling Memphis commits that he "can't wait". Looks like another swing and miss by Dazoo. But, like 9903 says, it's hard for a school like BC to compete with a program like Memphis.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:This appeared before Davis visited BC but made it sound like Memphis would be tough to beat. Hopefully he was Dazzled.

By all indications, he had a great trip and most thought he was going to be ours. That said, we had been holding off on offering Rouse. Nothing has changed since he visited and us extending an offer. Since things haven't exactly gone smoothly for Dazoo since taking the reigns, I'm guessing they found out Davis isn't coming here.

Looking at the Twitter machine, it seems that RD5 has his LOI in hand and is telling Memphis commits that he "can't wait". Looks like another swing and miss by Dazoo. But, like 9903 says, it's hard for a school like BC to compete with a program like Memphis.

Not what twitter account says.

to clarify, he may well choose Memphis but HomOJs is making shit up again, like every other post, ever.
Last edited by eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Do you old guys know how to read twitter? He hasn't said ANYTHING like that to Memphis commits. Memphis commits keep responding to him when he says he's ready to sign his LOI. Memphis fans are also the most actively communicating with him on twitter. If one of you told him we'd love to have him at BC...he will retweet that. Just as he's done with USF (even though they are eliminated). By reading his twitter, one would think he will choose Memphis, but my gut thinks this is a front, and he will "surprise" and choose BC.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:53 am

Shaddix is our twitter guy. Knock it off, HJS.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 am

Does it mean anything that his Twitter account says this (ellipsis)

The official twitter page of University of... commit Robert 'RD5' Davis.

Could he be committing to the University of Boston College?!?!?
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:Does it mean anything that his Twitter account says this (ellipsis)

The official twitter page of University of... commit Robert 'RD5' Davis.

Could he be committing to the University of Boston College?!?!?

BCU
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:01 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Shaddix is our twitter guy. Knock it off, HJS.

He's the recruiting guy not the twitter machine guy.
Just like nick is the LinkedIn guy.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:03 pm

You are right... I don't know the first effing thing about FB or Twitter (I'm being sincere). So, someone tell me what this means?
RD5 ‏@RD5_
@BJRoss15 can't wait bro!

I thought it meant that RD5 was saying "can't wait bro!" in response to a comment BJRoss15 made on RD5's Twitter account (during a conversation that, as far as I can tell, was about signing an LOI).

Hey look... I'm glad our recruiting experts and Daz supporters all think we are still landing RD5. I hope I'm proven wrong.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

:boxer
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

you can be more than one "guy"

like campion is the "aliass guy" and co-"pedophile guy" (with snoop)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

You are right... I don't know the first effing thing about FB or Twitter (I'm being sincere). So, someone tell me what this means?
RD5 ‏@RD5_
@BJRoss15 can't wait bro!

I thought it meant that RD5 was saying "can't wait bro!" in response to a comment BJRoss15 made on RD5's Twitter account (during a conversation that, as far as I can tell, was about signing an LOI).

Hey look... I'm glad our recruiting experts and Daz supporters all think we are still landing RD5. I hope I'm proven wrong.

The above may mean he is following "@BJRoss15" to Memphis or since the context is as a response to "@RD5_ closer and closer fam
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Rouse was offered while Davis was visiting BC. Editorialize as you feel necessary.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:41 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Rouse was offered while Davis was visiting BC. Editorialize as you feel necessary.

Someone on EA raised a good point - Rouse was probably offered Boyle's scholarship. I didn't think we were bumping up against the limit or anything but that extra scholarship may have been the difference between offering Rouse regardless and waiting on Davis's decision.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Rouse was offered while Davis was visiting BC. Editorialize as you feel necessary.

Someone on EA raised a good point - Rouse was probably offered Boyle's scholarship. I didn't think we were bumping up against the limit or anything but that extra scholarship may have been the difference between offering Rouse regardless and waiting on Davis's decision.

Yeah, I don't think we have much a schollie crunch at this point. That being said, I agree with HJS that the twitter thing looks as though he is not favoring BC (I just don't think it says what HJS says it does).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby fs33 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Rouse and Davis seem like they would compliment each other the way Kimble and Finch did. *As long as they are not injured or being fumbly saboteurs.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:01 pm

For those not familiar with twitter.

Robert Davis tweet 2 hours ago

"Been balling all year and I have my Letter of Intent. Doing what's best for me!"

Don't be fooled....USF is NOT in the running, which his twitter might indicate.

He retweets what anyone who tweets at him says. That's why you see the Memphis and USF retweets.

The one part that may or may not be a clue is when Memphis commit BJ Ross tweeted at Davis and said "closer and closer fam", Davis then tweeted back "can't wait bro!"

Overall Davis has done an excellent job at masking his decision (which he claims to have known right after he left boston and got back to tampa)
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm pissed at all you weirdos because this drove me to google and then subsequently read a high school senior's twitter machine.

I'll be in the shower if you need me.

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Also saying that....I believe he will commit to Memphis, BUT wouldn't be surprised at all if he committed to BC. BC has seen this a few times this past year (Boyle talked about Florida then surprisingly committed to BC) (Montgomery was the same with Vanderbilt) (could also make a case with Myles Willis and recommitting to UCF, although this one was much easier to read)
Shaddix
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium