2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat May 26, 2012 6:36 am

Jack McDonald is down to UVA, BC, and UNC. At least we haven't lost on him yet.

Also, Neal Morrison, safety from Florida, says BC is way ahead and will probably commit when he visits June 8/9. Marcellus Bowman like player.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Jack McDonald is down to UVA, BC, and UNC. At least we haven't lost on him yet.

Also, Neal Morrison, safety from Florida, says BC is way ahead and will probably commit when he visits June 8/9. Marcellus Bowman like player.

Nice work. BTW it's spelled Neil Morrison for anyone trying to look him up. Sean Desai!!!
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bruisertm on Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Jack McDonald is down to UVA, BC, and UNC. At least we haven't lost on him yet.

Nice work. BTW it's spelled Neil Morrison for anyone trying to look him up. Sean Desai!!!

bruisertm
n00b

Postby cvilleagle on Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 am

garf112 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Holy shit

Either those teams all sucked, or the best high school QB in state of Massachusetts (that actually graduates a year from today) is awesome. 2 stars my ass.

He sucks, just floats the ball up there.

I disagree. I don't know how much of that video you watched. The problem he had was that he held on to the ball for WAY too long and tried to get it to his top receiver repeatedly... didn't look anyone off. Typical of a high school quarterback.

Just like the MAN Dave Shinskie.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Boston College is still in the running for McDonald, according to the BC High guard himself, but there's a steep hill to climb.

That's because two other ACC schools are really impressing McDonald right now: Virginia and North Carolina.

Of course, McDonald visited both schools earlier this year and he's returning to one, North Carolina, in the middle of June.

Where does that leave the Eagles?

"BC's still up there with the location, being so close to my house, and how it is with family nearby," McDonald said.

"I wouldn't say they've dropped but Virginia, UNC and programs like that are doing really well right now. BC is still near the top and I'm extremely interested. It's just kinda cool to have the other options."

McDonald said he's planning to visit North Carolina in mid-June and he hopes to make a decision shortly after that.

"I think I'm close to making a decision," he confirmed. "It could come pretty soon after that. Me and Mo (Hurst) have been talking a lot and we'll probably end up making our decisions around the same time. Mine might be in late June or mid-July."
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 31, 2012 9:01 am

BC apparently got a verbal from Josh Tapscott (a 5'8" RB with no high major interest). I was given this info in a TXT with the comment "you now have more to go after the staff for its shitty recruiting". I have no interest. We aren't going to sign a single player with an offer from another ACC, SEC, B12, B10 or P12 program so long as Spaz is here. So, whoever we land is going to be suspect. I give credit to a kid like Tapscott who is willing to come to BC and be a part of the transition away from Spaz. Good luck to him.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am

HJS {l Wrote}:BC apparently got a verbal from Josh Tapscott (a 5'8" RB with no high major interest). I was given this info in a TXT with the comment "you now have more to go after the staff for its shitty recruiting". I have no interest. We aren't going to sign a single player with an offer from another ACC, SEC, B12, B10 or P12 program so long as Spaz is here. So, whoever we land is going to be suspect. I give credit to a kid like Tapscott who is willing to come to BC and be a part of the transition away from Spaz. Good luck to him.

I'm happy with this commitment. His only other offer was Ohio U, but it's not fair to say "no high major interest" (if you mean offers, that's right). His coach said "coaches from Duke and Wake Forest had indicated that they wanted Tapscott to camp. If he proved he could run a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, which Lloyd said he does, then they would offer." I know that's not good in the grand scheme of things, but trying to recalibrate for recruiting under a lame duck Spaz and I think it's as solid as we can reasonably hope for. Also, nice to see us get an RB commitment that comes before March.

EDIT - it looks like his track times are at http://www.athletic.net/trackandfield/Athlete.aspx?AID=2116792. Does anyone who knows anything about track want to explain if these are any good?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bruisertm on Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 am

bruisertm
n00b

Postby Shaddix on Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 am

bruisertm {l Wrote}:

He doesn't have any acceleration, but apparently he's a hard working kid. Should fit in alright at BC
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:12 am

im fine with this much in the way that I am fine with Lowrie. I dont think this is the be all end all at this position in the recruiting cycle and if he turns out to be 1 of 2 RBs (obv the second being a higher target) in this class then it is a fine commitment
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby fs33 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:14 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
bruisertm {l Wrote}:

He doesn't have any acceleration, but apparently he's a hard working kid. Should fit in alright get caught from behind at BC
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby joesim on Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:BC apparently got a verbal from Josh Tapscott (a 5'8" RB with no high major interest). I was given this info in a TXT with the comment "you now have more to go after the staff for its shitty recruiting". I have no interest. We aren't going to sign a single player with an offer from another ACC, SEC, B12, B10 or P12 program so long as Spaz is here. So, whoever we land is going to be suspect. I give credit to a kid like Tapscott who is willing to come to BC and be a part of the transition away from Spaz. Good luck to him.

I'm happy with this commitment. His only other offer was Ohio U, but it's not fair to say "no high major interest" (if you mean offers, that's right). His coach said "coaches from Duke and Wake Forest had indicated that they wanted Tapscott to camp. If he proved he could run a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, which Lloyd said he does, then they would offer." I know that's not good in the grand scheme of things, but trying to recalibrate for recruiting under a lame duck Spaz and I think it's as solid as we can reasonably hope for. Also, nice to see us get an RB commitment that comes before March.

EDIT - it looks like his track times are at http://www.athletic.net/trackandfield/Athlete.aspx?AID=2116792. Does anyone who knows anything about track want to explain if these are any good?

I've run track for four years now and well his times are good, their really not elite times from what I know
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 am

He seems like a slighter, slower version of Josh Haden... which means that he is likely a decent fit in HCDM's system.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:BEAT THE MAC!!

DE A.J. Burdine offered

Kid can move quick for being a big boy

Edit: full highlight tape http://www.hudl.com/athlete/284550/highlights/7775395
Last edited by NJM89 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm not complaining about that kid. He's built like a house and can move.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm not complaining about that kid. He's built like a house and can move.

There is one issue: he appears to be talented at the game of football and therefore he won't come here.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Great recruiting stuff by one of EagleOutsider's very own.

http://www.theringer.com/Article/News/2 ... -and-Notes
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Maurice Hurst to Michigan is official.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:52 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:ATL has pointed this out but lost an OL from Everett, Matt Ryan's cousin, Chase Rettig's brother, Coach Commish's cousin, and Bosa's son. Any one of these is excusable in a vacuum, but together they're a disaster. The worst part is I think Gene is the only person surprised by how hard it is to recruit with a 66 year old coach who has gotten worse every year he's been an HC.

#1 Mass recruit - ND;
#2 Mass recruit (and Catholic high school) - Michigan;
Matt Ryan's cousin - ND
Bosa's son - 0.0hio State
DLine Coach's cousin/nephew - GTech.
Rettig's brother - LSU.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:30 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:ATL has pointed this out but lost an OL from Everett, Matt Ryan's cousin, Chase Rettig's brother, Coach Commish's cousin, and Bosa's son. Any one of these is excusable in a vacuum, but together they're a disaster. The worst part is I think Gene is the only person surprised by how hard it is to recruit with a 66 year old coach who has gotten worse every year he's been an HC.

#1 Mass recruit - ND;
#2 Mass recruit (and Catholic high school) - Michigan;
Matt Ryan's cousin - ND
Bosa's son - 0.0hio State
DLine Coach's cousin/nephew - GTech.
Rettig's brother - LSU.

This is why I don't follow football recruiting anymore.
Last edited by MattTheEagle on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 pm

This is from a poster on ATL's blog. Don't know how credible it is but it doesn't look good.

Quoting Hurst: "It's really great, but I also think it's sad that all of us are from this area and none of us are going to BC."
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:This is from a poster on ATL's blog. Don't know how credible it is but it doesn't look good.

Quoting Hurst: "It's really great, but I also think it's sad that all of us are from this area and none of us are going to BC."

Here's the article that it came from http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/16762/hurst-jr-michigan-decision-not-that-difficult
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:26 pm

BC just offered an 8th grader.

Class of 2016 prospect Smith lands first offer

Dave Lomonico
MDHigh.com Publisher

Talk about it in the Message Boards
Class of 2016 defensive end/tight end Rahshaun Smith hasn't played a down of high school football yet, but that hasn't stopped college coaches from ogling him. And who could blame them? At 6-feet-3, 218 pounds, Smith, who goes by the nickname "Shaq," already has the frame of an upperclassman. Add in his uncanny athleticism and natural football instincts, which he's shown on the camp circuit this offseason, and Smith should have a bright future ahead of him.

Smith has a BC offer

Apparently these recruiters think so, too. While some may be hesitant to offer the Calvert Hall-bound Smith before his freshman year, that didn't stop Boston College assistant Al Washington from pulling the trigger.

"Boston College just gave me my first verbal offer," said Smith on Sunday afternoon. "Coach Washington and some of the BC staff saw my workouts with Next Level Nation [workout group], and they liked what they saw. Then today Coach Washington got back to my parents about me and said I had the offer."

Smith, who played his youth league ball for the Columbia Ravens, said BC was impressed with how hard he works, how dedicated he is to improving and how big and athletic he is for an incoming freshman.

"Coach Washington really thinks I'm going to develop well over these next four years," Smith said. "I'm honored to hear things like that before I've even gotten to high school."

Obviously Smith has never been to Boston College before, but he said he'd love to go up for a game at some point. He has seen them on TV before and is aware that they're a prestigious academic school.

"I know BC is a great school, and it's a blessing to have an offer from them," Smith said.

Now that Boston College has offered, it could potentially open the floodgates for Smith. He isn't sure exactly who has watched him this offseason, but he knows plenty of assistants have spoken to his coaches about him.

"Right now I know Penn State likes me because I just went to their camp [Saturday], and they said if I keep working hard I could get an offer," Smith said. "That was really cool to hear from a prestigious school like Penn State."

PSU was Smith's first camp outside the Maryland borders. He said he enjoyed the experience and thought the Penn State campus was "really nice" and the Nittany Lions' coaches were "great at connecting with the kids."

This summer Smith will be traveling to several more camps with NLN. The workout group is scheduled to visit Ohio, Youngstown State, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Ohio State, West Virginia, Marshall, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia.

After that, Smith will finally be ready to prove himself in pads.

"I realize I haven't done anything yet, and I know the expectations are high," Smith said. "But I'm ready to show what I can do, and I'm excited for the fall. Calvert Hall plans to use me all over the field this year at linebacker, D-end, tight end and receiver. I'm ready to prove myself."
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:35 pm

This is the 1st year, I am not obsessing over the recruiting thread, I have no expectations and just hope the next coach can coach'em up.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:37 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:This is the 1st year, I am not obsessing over the recruiting thread, I have no expectations and just hope the next coach can coach'em up.

I feel the same way. I remember a time when I anticipated looking at Recruiting Threads and news and those days are simply gone. Now I just look at it as a way to reinforce my misery.

On a separate note, it seems like Al Washington is working hard. Good for him. There's no legit reason he should already have this level of job at a place like BC (based on his current resume), but we know he loves the school and will likely bust his ass harder than any other person on the staff. I hope he continues this and maybe he'll have a place on the next staff.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:48 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:This is from a poster on ATL's blog. Don't know how credible it is but it doesn't look good.

This, and other comments he has made, says to me that he wanted to come to BC but not with a loser coach like Spaz.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:07 am

If BC shit-cans Spaz halfway through the season does it enhancec their chances to get any of these local kids back?

Much as I would like to believe that to be the case, I don't see any mid-season replacement as aviable long-term alternative. I imagined this year would be tough, but this is fare exceeding my worst possibilities...they are not going to land one decent local product.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:20 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:If BC shit-cans Spaz halfway through the season does it enhancec their chances to get any of these local kids back?

Much as I would like to believe that to be the case, I don't see any mid-season replacement as aviable long-term alternative. I imagined this year would be tough, but this is fare exceeding my worst possibilities...they are not going to land one decent local product.

I don't think it would enhance their chances at all. Mostly because the replacement would almost certainly be Doug Martin and I can't for the life of me believe that a guy who failed so miserably as a HC in the MAC is going to be the guy to turn the program around. It would just be way to easy to negatively recruit against that sort of quick fix mess (I don't think he's a bad assistant but of course we're several years too late on that).

I don't often post in absolutes because its a great way to look like a complete asshole when things go the other direction, but this year is dead on arrival. It has no chance whatsoever of redemption. Losing digs the hole deeper, winning may bury the program. It really, really sucks.

Best of luck to Hurst, Montelus, McDonald, Montgomery etc. wherever they end up.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:If BC shit-cans Spaz halfway through the season does it enhancec their chances to get any of these local kids back?

Midseason replacements are typically assistants elevated to the job on an interim basis anyway. Only chance we have of landing any of these guys (or any other decent recruits) is to hire a good coach after the season and hope he can flip them in the last month or so before signing day. It's certainly not out of the question, but sucks to have to rely on that.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium