2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:The announcement of GDF's retirement should have little effect on recruits? Right?

ehhhhh, that's some ammo for Nebraska to use on Dionte
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:37 am

OL Hunter Knighton cut down his list to 5 schools - Miami, Purdue, USF, Navy and BC
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 am

31southst {l Wrote}:OL Hunter Knighton cut down his list to 5 schools - Miami, Purdue, USF, Navy and BC

Id personally rather land Tetlow, but would be ok with either Knighton or Tetlow. EA lists Knighton as a DT, so I suppose WHEN we strike out on Montgommery there is at least some flexibility in terms of where the new coach can use Knighton since DL is a major area of need.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:OL Hunter Knighton cut down his list to 5 schools - Miami, Purdue, USF, Navy and BC

Id personally rather land Tetlow, but would be ok with either Knighton or Tetlow. EA lists Knighton as a DT, so I suppose WHEN we strike out on Montgommery there is at least some flexibility in terms of where the new coach can use Knighton since DL is a major area of need.

I know most schools view Knighton as an OL but it's not 100%, so you may be on to something. As for Tetlow vs. Knighton, I would be happy with either and just hope we can manage to land one (the idea of skipping OL entirely in a class is ridiculous and how you end up with roster management situations that involve shifting your backup QB to RB).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:At this point unless there is a miracle this is Spaz's final contract. He will not be coaching anyone he recruits now through their entire college career. Anyone picking BC at this point I hope is picking the school and not just the staff. :ace

Logi, any thoughts on what it will take for Spaz to stay? Do you think 6-6 will do it or might he actually have to have a winning record? I'm done guessing as to what if anything goes through Gene's head on this topic.

Spaz was a mortal lock before the regime change to stay if he had gotten a bowl bid. 5-7 and he was out even with Flip's support. For those in 10-2/8-4 mode, my understanding is that Flip "retired" because he was going to be fired with Spaz after the season if it turned into a disaster. Bottom line Gene finally faced reality on the shit show he created with backing luigi and walked away. :ace

Spaz is gone and knows he is gone. Everyone at BC knows he is gone. No one is even talking about Spaz for 2013. The only reason people kept quiet about Spaz was GDF.

Spaz needs a pretty huge season to get a stay of execution. No way 6-6 gets it done. If you are the new AD and do all your own research on Spaz about him pre HC, you are going to decide he was a major mistake immediately. When you look at his results on the field, recruiting, staff, etc. since he has become HC, you are going to decide he is a major mistake. When you hear about some of the stories about his staff and infighting, you are going to see no way to keep him. FOr some of the incidents, you might wonder why Spaz was not fired by the school already. When you reach out to your peers and others about who is a good fit for BC, they are going to tell you Spaz was an awful hire. To remove all doubt about his termination, he will have to have a monster strong season. I would guess he would have to go 9-3 pre bowl and be ACC COY. He won't get fired after a bowl but before, so it all will be decided by his season. What are the odds Spaz goes 9-3? I am guessing those are - at best - the odds Spaz is back in 2013. Because even if he goes 9-3 he could still be asked to retire and move out amicably.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:At this point unless there is a miracle this is Spaz's final contract. He will not be coaching anyone he recruits now through their entire college career. Anyone picking BC at this point I hope is picking the school and not just the staff. :ace

Logi, any thoughts on what it will take for Spaz to stay? Do you think 6-6 will do it or might he actually have to have a winning record? I'm done guessing as to what if anything goes through Gene's head on this topic.

Spaz was a mortal lock before the regime change to stay if he had gotten a bowl bid. 5-7 and he was out even with Flip's support. For those in 10-2/8-4 mode, my understanding is that Flip "retired" because he was going to be fired with Spaz after the season if it turned into a disaster. Bottom line Gene finally faced reality on the shit show he created with backing luigi and walked away. :ace

Spaz is gone and knows he is gone. Everyone at BC knows he is gone. No one is even talking about Spaz for 2013. The only reason people kept quiet about Spaz was GDF.

Spaz needs a pretty huge season to get a stay of execution. No way 6-6 gets it done. If you are the new AD and do all your own research on Spaz about him pre HC, you are going to decide he was a major mistake immediately. When you look at his results on the field, recruiting, staff, etc. since he has become HC, you are going to decide he is a major mistake. When you hear about some of the stories about his staff and infighting, you are going to see no way to keep him. FOr some of the incidents, you might wonder why Spaz was not fired by the school already. When you reach out to your peers and others about who is a good fit for BC, they are going to tell you Spaz was an awful hire. To remove all doubt about his termination, he will have to have a monster strong season. I would guess he would have to go 9-3 pre bowl and be ACC COY. He won't get fired after a bowl but before, so it all will be decided by his season. What are the odds Spaz goes 9-3? I am guessing those are - at best - the odds Spaz is back in 2013. Because even if he goes 9-3 he could still be asked to retire and move out amicably.

I think that's why BC fans should be hoping for a 6-6 season.... Get back to a bowl game, and have Martin coach it. Then hire a new coach in the offseason
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

They don't let Spaz go if BC goes 9-3. At 6-6 and even 7-5, yeah he's gone. Not at 9-3.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:26 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

While I completely agree with you, my question was pre-Gene leaving, so I think Logi's answer was that under Gene 6-6 and would have brought him back. I think everyone agree the bar has been raised considerably with Gene now gone.

As to your point about it likely needing to be 9+ regular season wins, one of the great things about Gene being out is I no longer need to feel ambivalent about a 6 win season and fear it might do more harm than good. Gene leaving has made me infinitely more excited for this season.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 pm

DE Donnie White will be taking officials to BC, ASU, and UNM. It sounds like if/when ASU offers, they'll be the favorite.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:While I completely agree with you, my question was pre-Gene leaving, so I think Logi's answer was that under Gene 6-6 and would have brought him back. I think everyone agree the bar has been raised considerably with Gene now gone.

As to your point about it likely needing to be 9+ regular season wins, one of the great things about Gene being out is I no longer need to feel ambivalent about a 6 win season and fear it might do more harm than good. Gene leaving has made me infinitely more excited for this season.

Good Point. I think I'll be able to feel the same way now, whereas the thought of a mediocre 6 win season and an invite to some crap bowl would have extended the continuing destruction of the program by Spaz.

As for 9 wins ... I'm not so sure even a very good coach could step in from this day forward and coach this team to 9 wins.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Donnie White Jr. will visit BC officially, no date set yet. Also will visit Arizona State and New Mexico.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:00 pm

open message to our younger generation recruiting weirdos who contact recruits on twitter and stuff... don't:

http://deadspin.com/5936658/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:open message to our younger generation recruiting weirdos who contact recruits on twitter and stuff... don't:

http://deadspin.com/5936658/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Wouldn't this indicate that the asswad, Des Conner, should be called out for Recruiting Violations? Didn't he talk up UCONN and badmouth BC to some recruit a year or two ago all the while buying him dinner? Even worse, is there some Sanduskying going on by him?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:17 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:open message to our younger generation recruiting weirdos who contact recruits on twitter and stuff... don't:

Wouldn't this indicate that the asswad, Des Conner, should be called out for Recruiting Violations? Didn't he talk up UCONN and badmouth BC to some recruit a year or two ago all the while buying him dinner? Even worse, is there some Sanduskying going on by him?

Probably, yes and almost definitely
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Dez had a beach date with Graham Stewart. Really sick if you ask me.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 am

LeShun Daniels and Joel Rich were rated 3 stars on rivals today. Michael Geiger upgraded to a 3 star and number 1 kicker.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bruisertm on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:51 am

Charlie Callinin listed as a 72 3 star on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... s-callinan
bruisertm
n00b

Postby garf112 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:LeShun Daniels and Joel Rich were rated 3 stars on rivals today. Michael Geiger upgraded to a 3 star and number 1 kicker.

Barksdale is a 5.5 rating on rivals. That is usually a 3 star, but he doesn't have them listed, yet. Stil too many flyers this early, but a decent class for spaz' last season. At least it seems they want to be at bc for the college and not the head coach. And based off of BC Interruption's scholarships by class, we can't have many spots in this class considering how small this senior class is and our penchant for banking scholarships.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:54 am

garf112 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:LeShun Daniels and Joel Rich were rated 3 stars on rivals today. Michael Geiger upgraded to a 3 star and number 1 kicker.

Barksdale is a 5.5 rating on rivals. That is usually a 3 star, but he doesn't have them listed, yet. Stil too many flyers this early, but a decent class for spaz' last season. At least it seems they want to be at bc for the college and not the head coach. And based off of BC Interruption's scholarships by class, we can't have many spots in this class considering how small this senior class is and our penchant for banking scholarships.

Don't get too caught up in star rankings. As a point of comparison, Scout has everyone outside of Boyle, Callinan, Monteroso, and Jasudowich as 2 star guys. I think other offers is the best (although still flawed) objective metric to use and by that measure this class is not decent even given Spaz's lame duck status.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:41 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:

Don't get too caught up in star rankings. As a point of comparison, Scout has everyone outside of Boyle, Callinan, Monteroso, and Jasudowich as 2 star guys. I think other offers is the best (although still flawed) objective metric to use and by that measure this class is not decent even given Spaz's lame duck status.

Scout has also praised Leshun Daniels and Joel Rich, they should be moved up to 3 stars. I don't really care about rankings, I still think Leshun Daniels is going to turn a lot of heads this season, just interesting
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:52 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:

I'm not getting caught up in star ratings. Scout seems to be really slacking this year. I know each service seems to rate guys differently. Everyone on ESPN gets 3 stars, less get 3 on Rivals, and Scout seems to be the toughest. I look at an aggregate of those rankings, offers and my own eyes. Although, with a lot of the guys that commit before their senior year, offers doesn't matter much. It seems to me our "strategy" has been to offer folks and if they don't commit, move onto the next guy. Pretty sad if you ask me. We lose recruits because we don't fight for them. From watching video on the guys that we have committed, there are some pretty good prospects, but too many are flyers this early in the process without seeing them play in their senior year.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 am

garf112 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:

I'm not getting caught up in star ratings. Scout seems to be really slacking this year. I know each service seems to rate guys differently. Everyone on ESPN gets 3 stars, less get 3 on Rivals, and Scout seems to be the toughest. I look at an aggregate of those rankings, offers and my own eyes. Although, with a lot of the guys that commit before their senior year, offers doesn't matter much. It seems to me our "strategy" has been to offer folks and if they don't commit, move onto the next guy. Pretty sad if you ask me. We lose recruits because we don't fight for them. From watching video on the guys that we have committed, there are some pretty good prospects, but too many are flyers this early in the process without seeing them play in their senior year.

I think that's a very fair assessment. I just like to point out to people (not you, you clearly are aware of the variations) who point to Rivals as the end all be all of the big differences in the rankings of classes. I also in general think it's a little crazy to do a 180 on a class because two guys went from unranked to 3 star.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:11 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:

I think that's a very fair assessment. I just like to point out to people (not you, you clearly are aware of the variations) who point to Rivals as the end all be all of the big differences in the rankings of classes. I also in general think it's a little crazy to do a 180 on a class because two guys went from unranked to 3 star.

I've been one of the guys who likes this class basically from the beginning. I've watched a good amount of tape on these guys and this is who I like/don't like form what I've seen.

Love: Geiger, Coggins(if healthy), Daniels, Jasudowich, Milano, Monteroso, Willis
Like: Boyle, Rich, Callinan, Barksdale, Cottrell
OK: Lowrie, Kavalec, Coggins(if not healthy)
Don't Like: Gutapfel, Johnson, Ntantang
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:56 pm

RB-DB Myles Willis, who switched his commitment from Central Florida to Boston College. Chadwick on King: “He’s got great quickness, cutting ability, and outstanding at changing directions. He’s a good athlete who runs well with the ball. He has great speed.” Willis may be the fastest player at Marist in Chadwick’s 28 years as coach. Willis was recently clocked at 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. “That’s pretty darn close as the fastest player we’ve had. I can’t remember anyone faster. We’ve had some 4.4 guys, though.”
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:

I've been one of the guys who likes this class basically from the beginning. I've watched a good amount of tape on these guys and this is who I like/don't like form what I've seen.

Love: Geiger, Coggins(if healthy), Daniels, Jasudowich, Milano, Monteroso, Willis
Like: Boyle, Rich, Callinan, Barksdale, Cottrell
OK: Lowrie, Kavalec, Coggins(if not healthy)
Don't Like: Gutapfel, Johnson, Ntantang

I actually like Gutapfel from his video. He is a bit of a tweener on DL, but I think he could eventually grow into a good DT. Reminds me of some of the other supposedly undersized guys coming out of high school that succeeded in college. Love the wrestling background. It is going to end up being a good class. No one is going to stand out really. No four or five star blue chippers. Plenty of solid potential guys. I'm impressed with the WR class. Need some defensive tackles. Our DB recruiting has never been good, so I'm not surprised with Johnson and Ntantang. It really bothers me that we aren't in on more top guys who have academics on their list. If Stanford can do it, we can do it... with the right coach.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby thebigskinny31 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:52 pm

I live in the same town as David Coggins and not sure if it effects his NCAA eligibility but Coggins has been ruled ineligible in CT. He transfered from Sacred Heart to Naugatuck high school and turns out the Naughy coach paid pff his $2000 debt at Sacred Heart(private school) for hin to transfer up there so doubt he'll play at all this season. Wonder if BC pull the scholarship.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am

was watching tv last night and came across the high school game on espn2... bishop gorman (Las Vegas, NV) (which is about 5 minutes from my house) against Our Lady of Good Council (maryland). Both of these teams are loaded. I know BC isnt recruiting any of the vegas kids but we do recruit maryland.

Some of you guys are much more in tune with recruiting than I am so i am wondering.... are we looking at any of the good council kids? even any juniors etc?

Those teams might hang with yukon or rutgers? zing
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:12 pm

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:I live in the same town as David Coggins and not sure if it effects his NCAA eligibility but Coggins has been ruled ineligible in CT. He transfered from Sacred Heart to Naugatuck high school and turns out the Naughy coach paid pff his $2000 debt at Sacred Heart(private school) for hin to transfer up there so doubt he'll play at all this season. Wonder if BC pull the scholarship.

With this whole Coggins situation, I wonder if they could set him up to attend Worcester Academy assuming the CIAC says he's inelligible for season.

I assume leaving Sacred Heart was a financial decision, but if Worcester could provide some type of aid maybe it would be a potential landing spot.

Does anyone know how a school like that would work. I'm sure they don't give athletic scholarships, but could they give him "academic aid". How did it work with Steven Daniels? Did he get aid or pay his way ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby thebigskinny31 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:18 am

Sacred Heart won't release his transscripts until he pays off his debt. His "uncle" was coach at Sacred Heart last year but resigned. He is now the coach at Gunnery Prep School so word is Coggs is looking to go there.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby Caber91 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:01 pm

We don't have much of a chance with the Good Counsel players. That school is now a football machine and their best players are SEC bound.
Caber91
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium