2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:55 am

Unless something has changed, Dionte Taylor and Fred Coppett will be taking officials this weekend - either guy would be a very good recruit. Of the committed guys, Boyle, Lowrie, Johnson, and Ntantang will all be there too, so hopefully they can do some recruiting. I wonder if we landed Taylor what it would mean for WR recruiting - would if reflect on the Coggins situation, would someone change positions (Barksdale to DB? Callinan to TE?), or would we just take 5 guys as WRs and figure it out later.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:11 am

31southst {l Wrote}:Unless something has changed, Dionte Taylor and Fred Coppett will be taking officials this weekend - either guy would be a very good recruit. Of the committed guys, Boyle, Lowrie, Johnson, and Ntantang will all be there too, so hopefully they can do some recruiting. I wonder if we landed Taylor what it would mean for WR recruiting - would if reflect on the Coggins situation, would someone change positions (Barksdale to DB? Callinan to TE?), or would we just take 5 guys as WRs and figure it out later.

The latter because Spaz won't be here to make that decision

Also, Hilliman didn't visit with Callinan the other week?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Unless something has changed, Dionte Taylor and Fred Coppett will be taking officials this weekend - either guy would be a very good recruit. Of the committed guys, Boyle, Lowrie, Johnson, and Ntantang will all be there too, so hopefully they can do some recruiting. I wonder if we landed Taylor what it would mean for WR recruiting - would if reflect on the Coggins situation, would someone change positions (Barksdale to DB? Callinan to TE?), or would we just take 5 guys as WRs and figure it out later.

The latter because Spaz won't be here to make that decision

Also, Hilliman didn't visit with Callinan the other week?

No, didn't make it. He saying he will reschedule and still wants to visit, but I'll believe it when I see it. He might as well just wait and visit when we have the new staff in place.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm

ATH Rachid Ibrahim will likely take a visit to/get an offer from Pitt. It sounds like he's open to seeing what Pitt is like but that he still thinks it'll come down to Iowa or BC.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 am

JR is reporting things did change. Taylor is pushing his visit to 9/28 so his parents can come (which bumps his Nebraska visit, not a bad sign). Coppett is also postponing but hasn't rescheduled (JR says STA coaches don't love officials during the season).

For other guys, apparently Brian Lemelle might actually take a visit, which would be an upset in itself. Also, Hunter Knighton might take an official for the Maine game (Tetlow and him still are our top 2 OL targets).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:50 am

Hurst is saying he will be at the game.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 am

anybody know if there were any official/unofficial visits at the game saturday? the last few years i've almost cringed when recruits would come to a half empty stadium to watch us play feild position football on the first possesion.

Watching on TV it seemed to be a great atmosphere and even though we lost, an exciting game to watch.

I think a recruit would have been impressed.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Cincinnatus on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am

Caber91 {l Wrote}:We don't have much of a chance with the Good Counsel players. That school is now a football machine and their best players are SEC bound.

I found the above quote silly. I know this program, and when it achieves the level of a GCL program like STX, Moeller or Elder, wake me up. It's a good program in Maryland, but to think that BC or any other non-SEC program has to what in line for a recruiting visit is just hilarous. Even the best high school players w/half a brain will be interested in the Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, Virginia or BC opportunities. BC's immediate problem is to get back to winning more games than they lose. By the way, BC doesn't need Good Counsel, Good Counsel needs the BC's of the world.

Edit: As the link below indicates, Good Counsel's best recruits are actually headed for the ACC-VT, Clemson and UVA-no mention of the SEC. Also that Gilman team that GC barely beat in OT by one point got spanked a week earlier by Moeller in the Ohio High School Challenge.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/hi ... story.html
Cincinnatus
n00b

Postby 31southst on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:00 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/east/post?id=3918

Big Tevin Montgomery update. Makes it sounds like BC is in good shape among his final 3 (along with Vandy and UVA), but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Tevin Montgomery's final trio of schools have plenty in common. Boston College, Vanderbilt and Virginia are all considered fine academic institutions with solid, up-and-coming football programs.

“That's the reason why those three schools are in my top three,” the defensive tackle from Marion (Mass.) Tabor said.

Montgomery has grown to know all three schools well. He said he has a good relationship with each coaching staff. He also visit Vanderbilt and Virginia's campus in August and has been to nearby Boston College numerous times.

The Golden Eagles have proximity on their side. Not only does Montgomery live close to Boston College's campus, he also grew up in Boston before moving to West Virginia then Texas. Montgomery moved back to Massachusetts last year thinking basketball would be his future. Then, some football coaches saw that the 6-foot-4, 295-pound prospect could move, well, like a basketball player.

“After going through that one season, I really enjoyed it,” Montgomery said. “That's why I was looking forward to coming back for this season.”

That will take some time. Montgomery suffered a sprained ankle in March while playing basketball. He finished that season, worked out for football all summer until admitting that his ankle still didn't feel right and realizing he couldn't quite move like he could before. So he opted for surgery last week and will miss at least two or three games of his senior season.

His three finalists and other colleges haven't backed off. They're still intent on seeing Montgomery continue his football career up close. Boston College seems tough to beat, especially since Montgomery still has family in the area.

“I feel like a lot of people will be able to come support me at the game,” Montgomery said.

Montgomery said he also liked the fact that Boston College was the first school to recruit him and offer him a scholarship. That still stands out.

“That's really important because they kind of put me on the map,” Montgomery said, adding that he likes the tradition of linemen at the school.

Virginia has its own appeal as well, even if it is indeed similar to its competitors for Montgomery. Like so many prospects, Montgomery said he feels close to the Cavaliers' coaching staff, led by head coach Mike London.

“Their program is on the rise,” Montgomery said. “I feel like they're going to be really successful in the ACC.”

When it comes to conferences, however, Vanderbilt is tough to compete with. Playing in the SEC has a unique appeal.

“It is a very large factor because you're playing against NFL players in the fastest conference. ... That's one of the things I really look at,” Montgomery said.

It's been a fast rise from well-traveled basketball player to college football prospect. Montgomery still remembers the goal last year: learn, learn and learn some more.

“The best thing I can remember from last season was getting reps,” said Montgomery, who played defensive and offensive tackle. You can watch film, evaluate the game and do everything you can but you're not really experienced (until you play).”

One thing that's not in question is Montgomery's mentality. Sure, he had to learn some of it, but much of it was already there.

“I'm mean enough,” Montgomery said with a chuckle when asked if he was mean enough to play football. “That's a funny question. Of course I'm mean enough. I'm a competitive person. I'm good with controlled aggression...Physical contact wasn't an issue for me....I'm not trying to be a pretty boy wide receiver.”

College coaches agree. Montgomery said he'll announce his official visits in about a month.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:39 am

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Officials this week from OL Hunter Knighton and DE/DT Mike Williams. Knighton is one of our top two targets at OL but wants to take all his visits. Williams decommited from Maryland after accepting an exploding offer at OL (he wants to play D and felt like he rushed his decision). FWIW, JR is not 100% sure that Williams is a take at this point but considering we need at least 2 more DL, I'm not sure why not if that is the case.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:35 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Officials this week from OL Hunter Knighton and DE/DT Mike Williams. Knighton is one of our top two targets at OL but wants to take all his visits. Williams decommited from Maryland after accepting an exploding offer at OL (he wants to play D and felt like he rushed his decision). FWIW, JR is not 100% sure that Williams is a take at this point but considering we need at least 2 more DL, I'm not sure why not if that is the case.

Hopefully Williams not being a take means he feels better about Montgomery ? The above article is encouraging but I'm not going to hold my breath either on that one.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 am

31southst {l Wrote}:Officials this week from OL Hunter Knighton and DE/DT Mike Williams. Knighton is one of our top two targets at OL but wants to take all his visits. Williams decommited from Maryland after accepting an exploding offer at OL (he wants to play D and felt like he rushed his decision). FWIW, JR is not 100% sure that Williams is a take at this point but considering we need at least 2 more DL, I'm not sure why not if that is the case.

Knighton said he stayed at the team hotel. I have not heard of this before. Big upgrade from a floor in Fitz. Dudeck was his host.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:06 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Knighton said he stayed at the team hotel. I have not heard of this before. Big upgrade from a floor in Fitz. Dudeck was his host.

I think this is a really smart move.

This is one thing that I cant seem to understand. I think it is a great move to have recruits stay at a team hotel like this (obv as stated much better than a dorm floor). What I fail to understand is why BC does not provide the football program with permanent housing, specifically a separate dormitory (FB only) with extra space for recruits. I understand that they want the visit to be a true representation of college life, but sleeping on floors is not an accurate portrayal.

I get that there are major potential issues with having an arrangement such as this (Miami 7th floor crew), but with all the stories you hear about players having to switch rooms 2 or 3 or 4 times (from spring to sunmmer to fall etc. as herzylax has spoken of) as well as the way that recruits are treated (ie sleeping on floors) wouldn't it just make sense?

There are plans to build housing on Shea Field no ? Why not do it there. Build some kind of FB only housing and still have room for practice fields and a possible indoor facility. Centralize everything FB related to the Alumni Stadium/Yawkey Center/Shea Field area and provide a better experience for recruits.

Hopefully a real coach will recognize how mickey mouse this whole process is and fix it once :spaz2 has his "health problems".
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Well one problem is that you essentially isolate football players from gen pop. I assume that can be used against you as most won't like the idea of forced housing.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:45 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Well one problem is that you essentially isolate football players from gen pop. I assume that can be used against you as most won't like the idea of forced housing.

I thought housing designated specifically as "athletic housing" was made illegal sometime back in the 1990s by some NCAA regulation.

p and s. seventh floor crew is easily one of my favorite all-time youtube videos. there, i said it.

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:45 am

Any word on how the visits this weekend went?
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:23 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Any word on how the visits this weekend went?

Knighton's went well but he always planned on taking all five officials. Williams seemed ok too but his interview was harder to read. I'm also not sure he has a committable offer (according to JR).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 am

Tevin Montgomery has trimmed his list down to 3 schools. BC, Vanderbilt, Virginia.

Tabor Academy's Tevin Montgomery narrowed his college options to three schools during the summer, and he's almost ready to announce where he'll be playing football next season.

Montgomery, a 6-foot-4, 295-pound defensive lineman, will choose between Boston College, Vanderbilt and Virginia.

“That is the situation, and I think I'll make the decision real soon,” Montgomery said. “Probably within a week or two.”

Montgomery is the top-rated uncommitted recruit from Massachusetts. ESPN Recruiting lists him as a three-star offensive tackle, but Montgomery said he's being recruited to play on the defensive side of the ball.

Montgomery, who didn't begin playing organized football until last year, has also received scholarship offers from Temple, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rutgers, Maryland and Missouri.

“BC, Vanderbilt and Virginia were the three that fit me the best as a student-athlete,” Montgomery said. “They're schools with a lot in common. They all have great academics and a football team that's on the rise.

“BC was my first scholarship offer. They were the school that put me on the map.”

Montgomery won't be in uniform when Tabor opens its season this weekend. He's still recovering from ankle surgery that was performed in August. He said he expects to miss Tabor's first three games.

Montgomery said he'll likely announce his college choice before he plays in a game this season.

“I was going to take official visits, but now I think I'll just take an official to the school I commit to,” Montgomery said. “I think I've made up my mind. I just want to make sure it's the right decision.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-sch ... s-his-list
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Can anyone post Rowlands recruiting notebook on EA. Im sure there isnt much there of note.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bruisertm on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 am

Looks like Coggins will be playing this year

http://www.rep-am.com/sports/redzone/671216.txt
bruisertm
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 am

BCI just posted something about a commitment from a kid named Marquis Little, a QB/LB from Manchester, CT (same HS as Andrew Isaacs). Not in database on EA.

Spaz is a poor game manager and coach, but he obv knows that he has one week of guarenteed employment left, and hes going to smear shit all over the walls in his remaining few months. Sad that he is going to submarine one of the better groups (LB) in this program by accepting a commitment from a kid who you can barely find information about on the interweb. Puts next coach in an awful spot where he has to decide to pull a scholarship or honor the pile of shit that spaz has left him.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:BCI just posted something about a commitment from a kid named Marquis Little, a QB/LB from Manchester, CT (same HS as Andrew Isaacs). Not in database on EA.

Spaz is a poor game manager and coach, but he obv knows that he has one week of guarenteed employment left, and hes going to smear shit all over the walls in his remaining few months. Sad that he is going to submarine one of the better groups (LB) in this program by accepting a commitment from a kid who you can barely find information about on the interweb. Puts next coach in an awful spot where he has to decide to pull a scholarship or honor the pile of shit that spaz has left him.

Nothing posted on EA yet. If true this will put the merrymen in a tough position as he's an unknown kid with no offers (good, from their perspective) but based on his first name I'm guessing he's a "poor fit".

As for the next coach....the right move morally and from a competitive standpoint is to do what Jags did with Kenny Plue and a few of the other TOB recruits from that class. Tell them that you'll honor their scholarship should they wish to come to BC, but that they're highly unlikely to see the field other than maybe special teams (of course at this point we have so many of these kids that it's inevitable some WILL see the field just to make up the numbers, at least until the new coach can hopefully get guys into the program who pass them on the depth chart). Most of these guys aren't good enough to play in the ACC but are good enough to play in the Patriot League and get a comparable education.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:BCI just posted something about a commitment from a kid named Marquis Little, a QB/LB from Manchester, CT (same HS as Andrew Isaacs). Not in database on EA.

Nothing posted on EA yet. If true this will put the merrymen in a tough position as he's an unknown kid with no offers (good, from their perspective) but based on his first name I'm guessing he's a "poor fit".

As for the next coach....the right move morally and from a competitive standpoint is to do what Jags did with Kenny Plue and a few of the other TOB recruits from that class. Tell them that you'll honor their scholarship should they wish to come to BC, but that they're highly unlikely to see the field other than maybe special teams (of course at this point we have so many of these kids that it's inevitable some WILL see the field just to make up the numbers, at least until the new coach can hopefully get guys into the program who pass them on the depth chart). Most of these guys aren't good enough to play in the ACC but are good enough to play in the Patriot League and get a comparable education.

There is no binding agreement so unless BC feels morally obligated to fulfill these scholarships the new coach, whomever it is, should pass on a bunch of these kids. And yes, you are right, most of these recruits are NEC and Patriot League level type players.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:

There is no binding agreement so unless BC feels morally obligated to fulfill these scholarships the new coach, whomever it is, should pass on a bunch of these kids. And yes, you are right, most of these recruits are NEC and Patriot League level type players.

There inlies the problem. If BC starts dropping kids scholarship offers, that just gives one more thing for schools to use as negative recruiting and has the potential to kill certain recruiting areas. Not that Connecticut is a hotbed, but something like that will spread throughout coaching circles and create a negative perception going forward.

Not fair at all to the next coach. I totall agree with Philly tho, all you can do is tell them the truth. You have a spot, you wont be playing, if you want to come your welcome too, but hopefully they see the writing on the wall and do the right thing for themselves.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 am

You think the LBs have been good this season?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:06 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:

There inlies the problem. If BC starts dropping kids scholarship offers, that just gives one more thing for schools to use as negative recruiting and has the potential to kill certain recruiting areas. Not that Connecticut is a hotbed, but something like that will spread throughout coaching circles and create a negative perception going forward.

Not fair at all to the next coach. I totall agree with Philly tho, all you can do is tell them the truth. You have a spot, you wont be playing, if you want to come your welcome too, but hopefully they see the writing on the wall and do the right thing for themselves.

I also agree with Philly and while I hope Marquis proves me wrong, this an offer a coach in Spaz's position has no business making. We're supposedly tight on available scholarships and yet before September is done we're giving one out to someone with literally no other offers? It's like Spaz is salting the ground before he goes. As an aside, you know things are bad when you read the thread on this commitment on EA. While they normally cheerlead all new commits, this one is mostly pushback.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 pm

A new coach will take all of these kids. He's going to have a limited window to find new players, so he'll just need bodies. With Spaz's roster being under 85 and the normal attrition you'll get from a coaching change, you can take all of these guys and still recruit 25 kids each year in the following two seasons.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:16 am

6'3" 215lbs 4.7 40 according Rivals. No other offers. Recruited by Siravo
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

6'3" 215lbs 4.7 40 according Rivals. No other offers. Recruited by Siravo

Someone needs to provide Sirvao directions to the BC Career Center. He sucks as a recruiter.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium