2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

There is apparently a poster on TOS who claims he has seen Walsh play many times and says he sucks and will never see a snap at BC. Sounds like he was a stretch for the MAC and is in way the eff over his head in the ACC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby gaelfu on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 am

I actually think there's a small chance we'll be back in a bowl this year. The problem with all the recruiting swings and misses, however, is that this team is going to really suck in 2014 and 2015. You can pin most of that on Spaz, but Daz is not acquitting himself well with his late results in this class at all.

Hope he gets Davis. If he can't beat out Memphis for a mid-level recruit...
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 am

HJS {l Wrote}:There is apparently a poster on TOS who claims he has seen Walsh play many times and says he sucks and will never see a snap at BC. Sounds like he was a stretch for the MAC and is in way the eff over his head in the ACC.

SHOCKING......haven't seen that particular post but I can't keep up with every thread over there so it's entirely possible. I know there is a poster who coaches at one of the other schools in Walsh's league and has said he's "holding off on his thoughts until after LOI day".....clearly not a ringing endorsement.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:34 am

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I actually think there's a small chance we'll be back in a bowl this year. The problem with all the recruiting swings and misses, however, is that this team is going to really suck in 2014 and 2015. You can pin most of that on Spaz, but Daz is not acquitting himself well with his late results in this class at all.

Hope he gets Davis. If he can't beat out Memphis for a mid-level recruit...

I agree. The talent (though not depth) is there to win 8 games on what is a pretty easy schedule. But, 2014 and 2015 are going to be real bad. Daz better hope that he is as good as MattTheEagle, NO and 9903 claim... that he has the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes comfortably in the top half of the conference and/or he leads us to bowls those (projected down years). Otherwise, we will all go into 2016 in the same position that UConn is next year with PP and we will be with Don... wondering if Daz can turn a miracle to save his job. BTW... if he misses a bowl in his first 3 seasons, he likely won't get a 4th.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:There is apparently a poster on TOS who claims he has seen Walsh play many times and says he sucks and will never see a snap at BC. Sounds like he was a stretch for the MAC and is in way the eff over his head in the ACC.

SHOCKING......haven't seen that particular post but I can't keep up with every thread over there so it's entirely possible. I know there is a poster who coaches at one of the other schools in Walsh's league and has said he's "holding off on his thoughts until after LOI day".....clearly not a ringing endorsement.

I don't know anything about Rocko (who is the one who wrote it). I think he is a new poster (or at least was someone who came on the sight well after I left).

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not about being "shocked" because I was a little surprised that someone was claiming that (as I thought his highlight tape was pretty decent).

UPDATE: Here is the actual post (there apparently was no mention of him not being good enough for the MAC)... "Walsh will never see a snap at QB. He's over rated with a slow release but strong arm."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I don't know anything about Rocko (who is the one who wrote it). I think he is a new poster (or at least was someone who came on the sight well after I left).

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not about being "shocked" because I was a little surprised that someone was claiming that (as I thought his highlight tape was pretty decent).

I don't know how new he is but he's some sort of coach in Ohio and from the little of his I've read, he doesn't really seem to have an agenda (so I'd tend to take what he says at face value).

HJS {l Wrote}:I agree. The talent (though not depth) is there to win 8 games on what is a pretty easy schedule. But, 2014 and 2015 are going to be real bad. Daz better hope that he is as good as MattTheEagle, NO and 9903 claim... that he has the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes comfortably in the top half of the conference and/or he leads us to bowls those (projected down years). Otherwise, we will all go into 2016 in the same position that UConn is next year with PP and we will be with Don... wondering if Daz can turn a miracle to save his job. BTW... if he misses a bowl in his first 3 seasons, he likely won't get a 4th.

While I admire you for setting the bar for a team coming off of 2 wins at 8 in order to put Daz in a no-win situation, I think setting it at 6 is plenty high. As to your bolded part re: needing to make a bowl in the first 3 years, is that based on anything beyond your own speculation?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't know anything about Rocko (who is the one who wrote it). I think he is a new poster (or at least was someone who came on the sight well after I left).

UPDATE: Here is the actual post (there apparently was no mention of him not being good enough for the MAC)... "Walsh will never see a snap at QB. He's over rated with a slow release but strong arm."

same poster says: "I don't think BC will miss him[Boyle] if he goes elsewhere."

same poster also said a day before the post you quote above:

"Rock.O: He's[Walsh] a QB in our league who and we play his school every year. I will withhold my comments until after he signs his LOI."

eagles28:
"Rock o did you ever weigh in on Walsh? If so, I missed it. What do you think of him?"

"Nothing bad."
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 pm

This team certainly will not win 8 games. If they go to a bowl, it's because they eeked out 6-6.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Wouldn't count on Davis committing since he has tweets out to a Memphis commit saying that hes ready to sign his LOI. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get him

That's not correct. He sent a tweet to his followers saying he is ready to sign his LOI, and one of the memphis commits responded to it and said he is ready to sign his too.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:44 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

"Rock.O: He's[Walsh] a QB in our league who and we play his school every year. I will withhold my comments until after he signs his LOI."

eagles28:
"Rock o did you ever weigh in on Walsh? If so, I missed it. What do you think of him?"

"Nothing bad."

I don't know the first thing about the poster. But, if what you wrote is accurate, it's hard to see his posts as anything but contradictory. I don't know how he can say "nothing bad" about Walsh and that BC won't miss Boyle because we have Walsh... but then turnaround and say that Walsh is overrated and will never see a single snap at BC. Has anyone called him out on it?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

eagles28:

"Nothing bad."

I don't know the first thing about the poster. But, if what you wrote is accurate, it's hard to see his posts as anything but contradictory. I don't know how he can say "nothing bad" about Walsh and that BC won't miss Boyle because we have Walsh... but then turnaround and say that Walsh is overrated and will never see a single snap at BC. Has anyone called him out on it?

I know, I agree it is contradictory. I don't know what he was talking about and I don't think he's been called out yet.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I agree. The talent (though not depth) is there to win 8 games on what is a pretty easy schedule. But, 2014 and 2015 are going to be real bad. Daz better hope that he is as good as MattTheEagle, NO and 9903 claim... that he has the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes comfortably in the top half of the conference and/or he leads us to bowls those (projected down years). Otherwise, we will all go into 2016 in the same position that UConn is next year with PP and we will be with Don... wondering if Daz can turn a miracle to save his job. BTW... if he misses a bowl in his first 3 seasons, he likely won't get a 4th.

While I admire you for setting the bar for a team coming off of 2 wins at 8 in order to put Daz in a no-win situation, I think setting it at 6 is plenty high.

I am of the opinion that the coaching staff we had the last 2 seasons was completely dysfunctional. I believe the 2013 schedule is a joke. And, I believe we have some pretty decent, seasoned starting talent (though no depth).

We play Stony Brook, Army, New Mexico State, Wake, Maryland, NCS, Syracuse. That's 7 games against real crappy football teams. We also play VaTech and UNC (both of whom will struggle to be Bowl eligible). We round out our schedule with FSU, Clemson and USC. That's a spectacularly bad. Combine that with a roster that is laden-with kids who have started for multiple seasons... and I think a bowl game should be expected (barring a transfer or significant injury to Rettig).

We can't compete with FSU and Clemson... just a fact. While USC is about to fire Kiffin and will be breaking in a new QB and defense... and while I foresee a similar 5-loss season slated for the Men of Troy, BC will walk into that game as very steep underdogs. As such, I see a high-watermark for what's possible for the team as 9-3. I dropped it by a game (as you can't expect a team so accustomed to losing to win every game they should be competitive in). As such, 8-4 is the best regular season I think they can realistically pull off. That said, all I wrote was that I thought they could have 8-wins... which I contemplated including a bowl win off a 7-5 season (which is precisely what I think will happen). I'd also be fine with a 7-win season, but would be dissapointed with a 6-win or less season.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: Stony Brook, Army, New Mexico State, Wake, Maryland, NCS, Syracuse. That's 7 games against real crappy football teams.

i do not think that all 7 of these should be considered automatic wins and to do so is clear agenda furthering
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: Stony Brook, Army, New Mexico State, Wake, Maryland, NCS, Syracuse. That's 7 games against real crappy football teams.

i do not think that all 7 of these should be considered automatic wins and to do so is clear agenda furthering

No they aren't automatics with the BC staff, but a good coach would win all 7, and maybe steal an 8th. Fact is that they are going 5-7, tops.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

No they aren't automatics with the BC staff, but a good coach would win all 7, and maybe steal an 8th. Fact is that they are going 5-7, tops.

a good coach with good talent. i'd chalk us up as a mediocre coach with average talent at this point and therefore say that we should expect to win at least 4 of those 7 and hope for 5 (which is in line with your seasonal prediction)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:BTW... if he misses a bowl in his first 3 seasons, he likely won't get a 4th.

As to your bolded part re: needing to make a bowl in the first 3 years, is that based on anything beyond your own speculation?

Speculation... nothing specific.

3-years is more than enough time to give a coach. In today's age, coaches are lucky if they get that long. Last year, I outlined even how rare it was for BC to give a bad coach a 4th season. GDF gave Spaz his 4th season because of politics (e.g. he had just extended Spaz months earlier). The reason why I predict that Dazoo won't survive 3 straight losing seasons is partly because his hiring was panned from the get-go. Daz will not get a honeymoon period (even less than the one afforded Spaz). If his struggles out the gate continue, FB attendance and apathy will make current BC BB seem like Cameron Crazies. As such, 3-straight years of continued sucking will, IMO, force BB to make a move. It should also be noted that in 3 years, Leo Sullivan will have FINALLY retired (I think he scheduled to get the eff out in May) and we may see the merciful end of the Leahy debacle. So, BB may actually be in position to actually make moves that help the sports program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:BTW... if he misses a bowl in his first 3 seasons, he likely won't get a 4th.

As to your bolded part re: needing to make a bowl in the first 3 years, is that based on anything beyond your own speculation?

3-years is more than enough time to give a coach. In today's age, coaches are lucky if they get that long. Last year, I outlined even how rare it was for BC to give a bad coach a 4th season. GDF gave Spaz his 4th season because of politics (e.g. he had just extended Spaz months earlier). The reason why I predict that Dazoo won't survive 3 straight losing seasons is partly because his hiring was panned from the get-go. Daz will not get a honeymoon period (even less than the one afforded Spaz). If his struggles out the gate continue, FB attendance and apathy will make current BC BB seem like Cameron Crazies. As such, 3-straight years of continued sucking will, IMO, force BB to make a move. It should also be noted that in 3 years, Leo Sullivan will have FINALLY retired (I think he scheduled to get the eff out in May) and we may see the merciful end of the Leahy debacle. So, BB may actually be in position to actually make moves that help the sports program.

Fair enough. On that note, I think an overlooked dumb aspect of the Daz hire was giving him a six-year contract. I can't think of any reason to do that beyond BC's apparent love of paying coaching buyouts. I could see it if we landed a top tier guy as a sign that we realize there's a rebuild ahead, but Daz shouldn't have had the leverage to get that (this would be true for someone like Roman or Diaco too, basically anyone that's not Golden/BOB/Mullen). Hopefully he does turn it around and this ends up being irrelevant, but I have my doubts.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Fair enough. On that note, I think an overlooked dumb aspect of the Daz hire was giving him a six-year contract. I can't think of any reason to do that beyond BC's apparent love of paying coaching buyouts. I could see it if we landed a top tier guy as a sign that we realize there's a rebuild ahead, but Daz shouldn't have had the leverage to get that (this would be true for someone like Roman or Diaco too, basically anyone that's not Golden/BOB/Mullen). Hopefully he does turn it around and this ends up being irrelevant, but I have my doubts.

We bought out Spaz's last 3 years, we will do the same for Daz (if necessary). That said, everything depends on how the buyout is structured. Usually, there is a percentage for each year (e.g. 100% for the first 3 years, 75% for the 4th, 50% for the 5th and 25% for the 6th... so if you were being paid $1mm per, it would cost the school $4.5mm to fire you before you coached a game... but only $1.5mm to fire you after your 3rd season).

One day, someone who matters will realize that BC's success is tied to the quality of its coach. One day, BC will have someone who will pick a coach because he is the best coach available (and not the best perceived "fit"). My fear is that that day will be too late and the rest of the athletic world will have left our programs behind.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We bought out Spaz's last 3 years, we will do the same for Daz (if necessary). That said, everything depends on how the buyout is structured. Usually, there is a percentage for each year (e.g. 100% for the first 3 years, 75% for the 4th, 50% for the 5th and 25% for the 6th... so if you were being paid $1mm per, it would cost the school $4.5mm to fire you before you coached a game... but only $1.5mm to fire you after your 3rd season).

One day, someone who matters will realize that BC's success is tied to the quality of its coach. One day, BC will have someone who will pick a coach because he is the best coach available (and not the best perceived "fit"). My fear is that that day will be too late and the rest of the athletic world will have left our programs behind.

Not saying we won't do it, just that there was no need for it to happen (much like the Spaz extension). I would be curious if we've learned anything and restructured buyouts, but I doubt that information will come out unless/until it has to.

As to the hiring process, I really would be curious what Bates's honest response would be as to the reception of Daz and how his first couple months have gone. Have there ever been any concrete sources who say that he was underwhelmed by the response to the hire? I've read speculation but never seen anything concrete. As an aside, I don't think a fanbase's reaction should matter but considering the apathy around our program, it is relevant in terms of length of the leash Daz will get.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

I think your reference to GDF extending Spaz is a bit off, but the overall point is valid. He extended Spaz in December 2010, right after the Nevada loss. He then didn't fire him after the ridiculous 4 win season -I agree- because it would be an admission to the ridiculousness of the extension and thus impolitic.

Why do we think Leo Sullivan is incompetent again? I don't even really know what he does.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

i know he looks angry all the time, but i'm not sure what that means

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.maxpreps.com/news/NPwPeEuI-kexUi96LpQbzg/international-bowl--boston-college-bound-montgomery-takes-long-road.htm

you forgot agenda.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.maxpreps.com/news/NPwPeEuI-kexUi96LpQbzg/international-bowl--boston-college-bound-montgomery-takes-long-road.htm

gotta love those football scholarships offered by BC to kids who played all of 13 football games in their life...

that said, WELCOME TEVIN! :)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

gotta love those football scholarships offered by BC to kids who played all of 13 football games in their life...

Tevin Montgomery is far and away our best recruit and has the potential to play at the next level as he continues his development. By all accounts he is a hard worker and a kid with a good head on his shoulders. What's more, the reason to love this kid is the same reason why 9903 hates him... he verballed to BC after Spaz was fired but before Daz was hired... meaning that BC does a better job recruiting itself withoout these meathead coaches getting in the effing way.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Montgomery is a huge talent 13 games or not were talking NFL upside with him. He's a monster out there and has no idea what he's doing. Once he learns how to play the position watch out.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Tevin Montgomery is far and away our best recruit and has the potential to play at the next level as he continues his development. By all accounts he is a hard worker and a kid with a good head on his shoulders. What's more, the reason to love this kid is the same reason why 9903 hates him... he verballed to BC after Spaz was fired but before Daz was hired... meaning that BC does a better job recruiting itself withoout these meathead coaches getting in the effing way.

There's the agenda.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Bama spent $930,997 on recruiting last year, and they're a school that recruits itself. I wonder how much BC budgets for recruiting purposes?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/how_much_do_alabama_schools_sp.html#incart_flyout_sports
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Iggle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Bama spent $930,997 on recruiting last year, and they're a school that recruits itself. I wonder how much BC budgets for recruiting purposes?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/how_much_do_alabama_schools_sp.html#incart_flyout_sports

Considerably less. BC spends $555,652 on recruiting - but that's a total of all men's sports. $1,402,041 was the total for all Alabama men's sports, so if BC spent in a similar ratio (and that's not entirely accurate in BC's favor - BC has more varsity men's sports offered than Alabama) they spent ~$368,952 recruiting football, on the high end.

got my data from da gubmint http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:Bama spent $930,997 on recruiting last year, and they're a school that recruits itself. I wonder how much BC budgets for recruiting purposes?

Considerably less. BC spends $555,652 on recruiting - but that's a total of all men's sports. $1,402,041 was the total for all Alabama men's sports, so if BC spent in a similar ratio (and that's not entirely accurate in BC's favor - BC has more varsity men's sports offered than Alabama) they spent ~$368,952 recruiting football, on the high end.

got my data from da gubmint http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

$400k seems like a lot of money to spend recruiting the ISL.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium