2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Literally the worst group of safeties I've ever seen.

Why, because half of them lack melanin?

Because they're awful. Good luck defending the play of Rositano and Hughes back there.

:oj :oj :oj :oj

Fantastic argument. Never been used before on this board. Very original.

As TWB eloquently pointed out, both guys are afraid to tackle and are slow. Fantastic combination.

They may be slow but the group as a whole does not lack courage. Do I think they are D1 college players? For the most part, no, but they have always been willing to stick their noses into the play.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 pm

I like that Teddy is now an authority on the subject.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:46 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I like that Teddy is now an authority on the subject.

Well he's correct. As much as that pains me to say.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Snooks Kelly on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:44 am

Epstein, on behalf of the B C family; fuck you
Snooks Kelly
n00b

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 am

I was under the impression that Teddy is an authority on everything. Was I wrong?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bruisertm on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm

We have an offer out to Matt Rolin, MLB from VA

bruisertm
n00b

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm

BC could also have Okaroha and Noel as their starting safeties, which would probably be the best case senario. I just want to see Noel back there and if Okaroha isn't back then I'd like to see Noel paired up with the winner of the Sylva, Hughes, Rositano, Williams group. Hughes, while he plays hard, just isn't an ACC caliber DB, IMHO.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:BC could also have Okaroha and Noel as their starting safeties, which would probably be the best case senario. I just want to see Noel back there and if Okaroha isn't back then I'd like to see Noel paired up with the winner of the Sylva, Hughes, Rositano, Williams group. Hughes, while he plays hard, just isn't an ACC caliber DB, IMHO.

Didn't Okaroha get run off the team?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

I was under the impression that Teddy is an authority on everything. Was I wrong?

I think you're right, but hearsay is a specialty.
Last edited by RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:BC could also have Okaroha and Noel as their starting safeties, which would probably be the best case senario. I just want to see Noel back there and if Okaroha isn't back then I'd like to see Noel paired up with the winner of the Sylva, Hughes, Rositano, Williams group. Hughes, while he plays hard, just isn't an ACC caliber DB, IMHO.

There are rumors that he'll be back this year.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:58 am

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

There are rumors that he'll be back this year.

I just asked BC about that the other day. He is not back with the team now and will not be part of spring ball. No idea if that will change this summer.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Per EA, BC hosted Maurice Hurst Jr., Tevin Montgomery, and John Montelus over the weekend and pitched them as being the core of BC's recruiting class. Hurst is high on BC and possibly could commit soon. Montgomery is definitely favoring BC as well but isn't as close to committing (though it sounds like something big would have to change for him to not end up at BC as well). Montelus is more national and less clear where he's leaning.

After whiffing on DTs last class, we definitely need 2 this year and Hurst and Montgomery would be a very nice combo. It would also be nice to redeem ourself locally after the disaster that was last year's Massachusetts recruiting.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:44 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Per EA, BC hosted Maurice Hurst Jr., Tevin Montgomery, and John Montelus over the weekend and pitched them as being the core of BC's recruiting class. Hurst is high on BC and possibly could commit soon. Montgomery is definitely favoring BC as well but isn't as close to committing (though it sounds like something big would have to change for him to not end up at BC as well). Montelus is more national and less clear where he's leaning.

After whiffing on DTs last class, we definitely need 2 this year and Hurst and Montgomery would be a very nice combo. It would also be nice to redeem ourself locally after the disaster that was last year's Massachusetts recruiting.

Montelus just visited Michigan and gave an interview about his recruiting process. He says that he is looking for "Good academics and a winning team, that's all I want." We've got 50% of that John!

Full transcript here: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/interview-john-montelus

Also, here is an interview with Brandon Hines, a2014 DE who went to BC's junior day. Check what he has to say about the kind of coach he is looking for in college, "Also, the coaching staff, I have to have a coaching staff that pushes people. The coaching staff I'm with at my high school right now, I moved here [to Homestead], and they're tremendous. They're on you all the time no matter what. They will stay on you, they're going to push you, and they're going to push you past your limits. That's something I'm definitely looking for. Today I had a really tough workout with one of our coaches who's one of the to speed trainers in the state, so I'm definitely looking for some high-caliber coaches." Our staff will push you Brandon, right under the bus!

Full transcript here: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/interview-brandon-hines

Michigan, btw, already has 10 pledges for 2013 in the Top 200 recruits and received 7 (!!) 4* commits over this past weekend, including a few OL and a TE that I believe had BC offers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/highschool/02/21/michigan.ohiostate.recruiting/
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Saw this on MassLive HS football board:

Everett's OT 6' 4" 285 Montelus attended yesturdays BC spring practice along with a few others. Cory Jasudowich LB 6'2" 235 lb from cheshire ct and Jon Baker OG from Millis 6'3" 295

http://www.masslive.com/forums/emassfootball/
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 pm

What's the over/under on how many of these real targets actually end up signing with the turnover to come? I think we're lucky if we manage more than one or two.
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 am

Here's some stellar work by one member of EO. While we all know a lot of these kids will go elsewhere, if BC can land 50% it would be a great class.

http://www.theringer.com/forums/mock-cl ... class.html
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 am

Brock is going after Rettig's younger brother.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:13 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Brock is going after Rettig's younger brother.

I am going to kneecap Brock if he goes to RU.

At least the kid will have seen a real campus before visiting the NB cesspool.
Last edited by DuchesneEast on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:13 am

There's a Hurst article on EA, with a quote that Hurst was immediately a big fan of Al Washington, who had been there for about a week when he visited. It would not surprise me if Washington ends up being a very good recruiter.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 am

I think he is visiting auburn shortly as well.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think he is visiting auburn shortly as well.

That might work out well when we hire Scot Loeffler as Head Coach in December. He can flip Hayden to BC!
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Per EA, BC hosted Maurice Hurst Jr., Tevin Montgomery, and John Montelus over the weekend and pitched them as being the core of BC's recruiting class. Hurst is high on BC and possibly could commit soon. Montgomery is definitely favoring BC as well but isn't as close to committing (though it sounds like something big would have to change for him to not end up at BC as well). Montelus is more national and less clear where he's leaning.

Montelus just visited Michigan and gave an interview about his recruiting process. He says that he is looking for "Good academics and a winning team, that's all I want." We've got 50% of that John!

Also, here is an interview with Brandon Hines, a2014 DE who went to BC's junior day. Check what he has to say about the kind of coach he is looking for in college, "Also, the coaching staff, I have to have a coaching staff that pushes people. The coaching staff I'm with at my high school right now, I moved here [to Homestead], and they're tremendous. They're on you all the time no matter what. They will stay on you, they're going to push you, and they're going to push you past your limits. That's something I'm definitely looking for. Today I had a really tough workout with one of our coaches who's one of the to speed trainers in the state, so I'm definitely looking for some high-caliber coaches." Our staff will push you Brandon, right under the bus!

Michigan, btw, already has 10 pledges for 2013 in the Top 200 recruits and received 7 (!!) 4* commits over this past weekend, including a few OL and a TE that I believe had BC offers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/highschool/02/21/michigan.ohiostate.recruiting/

Michigan has verbals from 4 4-star (Rivals) OTs.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:There's a Hurst article on EA, with a quote that Hurst was immediately a big fan of Al Washington, who had been there for about a week when he visited. It would not surprise me if Washington ends up being a very good recruiter.

Young and energetic tends to work wonders for recruiting.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:There's a Hurst article on EA, with a quote that Hurst was immediately a big fan of Al Washington, who had been there for about a week when he visited. It would not surprise me if Washington ends up being a very good recruiter.

Young and energetic tends to work wonders for recruiting.

I dont know whats more pathetic, the fact that the staff is just now discovering this PHENOMENON or the fact that the only reason they are realizing this is because it was done out of necessity to hire cheap/keep GDF paid and fill spots of asst's fleeing the sinking ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4Gg8HReLapE#t=82s
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:20 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

already? in 2013?

(that was fast)
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Yup, they have 11 verbals and all but one a 4-star.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:39 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

already? in 2013?

(that was fast)

Moreso than anything, he is cleaning up in Michigan. This is bad news for Michigan State. Last year, there were seven 4*s from the entire state; the year before, there were six. Already this year (bear in mind that there are far fewer preseason 4*s than there at LOI Day), Michigan has four in-state 4* commitments. In contrast, Michigan has received two total commitments, only one of whom is an in-state 4*.

Michigan's other 4* commits are from Illinois (offered by BC, Bama, ND, Stanford, Miami, Michigan Sate, and Illinois, among many others), Ohio (offered by BC, Wisconsin, Tennessee, etc but not really the top-tier recruiting schools), Ohio (he's named Taco, and he was offered by Notre Dame, Nebraska, and some lessers), Colorado (short offer list that includes Colorado and Ohio State), Ohio (offered by Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc), and Illinois (offered by all the big midwest schools, some SEC schools, FSU, and BC).

All in all, based on this small sample, the areas they're successfully hitting will impact MSU a lot more than they'll impact us.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Was looking thru twitter and found this tweet from Chase (dont worry not CLIII smoking pot tweet)...

ChaseRettig: just met @DougFlutie in the plex playing hoop.. He's a beast. #WeAreBC

I think the general consensus I get from Chase via his twitter account is that he really enjoys BC, and I would imagine he would have to REALLY enjoy it to put up with HCGDF and all this coaching bullshit. I think Chase is a great ambassador for the school and is hopefully someone the staff uses for prospective recruits because he seems very enthusiastic about being at BC and playing football here.

That is neither here nor there, the point that I was originally trying to make was in the aforementioned tweet, and to be honest, it really doesn't surprise me based on the results that we have seen in recruiting the last few years, BUT, for Chase to tweet that he just met Flutie because he happened to bump into him in the plex while playing basketball is an absolute joke.

Flutie is what he is, but the fact remains, he is probably one of the better known alums from BC and almost single-handedly put BC football (And the school) on the map, and is someone that the staff should lean on in the recruiting process. He is still a VERY visible alum and one of the most popular players in college football history.

The fact that it took Chase until his junior year to even meet him, to me, says Flutie is not used in the recruiting process at all, and is a pretty good indicator that the staff makes no attempt to use other well known alums (Ryan, Raji, Herzy, Snee, etc) in the recruiting process, which basically makes any past success we have had null and void.

I had a friend who played at BC and eventually became a captain under TOB. When he was being recruited, towards the end of one of his visits, TOB led him into a room and when he opened the door, Flutie was sitting there for a one on one talk. I doubt that a chat with Doug Flutie was what ultimately pushed him over the edge to eventually commit to BC, but it is something that definitely didn't hurt his perception of the program during his recruiting process.

Again, I dont really know why I am writing this, as it really shouldn't surprise me based on the past recruiting results and the overall demise we have seen under GDF and Spaz. And maybe I am wrong about the staffs involvement with alum (although I have heard multiple times that this staff is not good with keeping in touch with football alums), but I would say that having your starting QB not even meet Doug Flutie until his junior year is a pretty good sample size to make this assumption.

The more that we learn about this staffs methods continues to amaze me. Hopefully the school/program can continue to recruit itself this year and we will have some kind of sustainable base to go forward with when HCGDF and Spaz are outta here.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Charlie Calinan 6'4 WR (St Peters Prep) visiting tomorrow per Mike Giacones twitter account. Hopefully another big receiver to take Momahs roll since :pickle fucked up his college career.

m_giacone84: Shout out to my boy @C_Callinan going up to Boston College for a unofficial tomorrow. Hopefully the duo will be back in college!
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

No way it took him this long to run into Flutie. I saw into him pretty consistently just being around lower.
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium