2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Someone on TOS said that in Hurst's article he is quoted as saying that Spaz told him to not really worry about who the coach is and that he should pick a school based on the school first.

That's an interesting approach.

Spaz is about to turn 65 and is coming off a losing season. He has to say that. What else can he say? "I am here for the long term!" We painted ourselves into a corner and every school we recruit against is going to say something about BC's lack of stability. We negative recruit too (look what we did to Edsall at UConn). The challenge is that we don't do a great job overcoming those objections.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Someone on TOS said that in Hurst's article he is quoted as saying that Spaz told him to not really worry about who the coach is and that he should pick a school based on the school first.

Spaz is about to turn 65 and is coming off a losing season. He has to say that. What else can he say? "I am here for the long term!" We painted ourselves into a corner and every school we recruit against is going to say something about BC's lack of stability. We negative recruit too (look what we did to Edsall at UConn). The challenge is that we don't do a great job overcoming those objections.

Funny thing for a coach to tell a player but it is what every parent should be telling their recruit son.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby fs33 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Funny thing for a coach to tell a player but it is what every parent should be telling their recruit son or daughter.

fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm

It's the best argument he can make at this point. BC is a good school with a bad, old coach so you sell the school, not the staff.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I just realized our coach can collect Social Security... WTF
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm

ESPN posted early top 100 of 2013.

5 are from NJ and BC is mentioned to be going after 4 of them.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Tack me and take down the 2012 recruit A-BOMB-A-NATION thread! :titanic :koolaid :titanic
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC00012 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

Boston College Football Recruiting: Mass. Hole In The 2012 Recruiting Class
by Brian Favat on Feb 3, 2012 8:00 AM EST in Boston College Football

While there isn't a whole lot of HS football talent in the state of Massachusetts relative to other states in the Northeast, the Boston College program has done a good job over the past few years at keeping kids closer to home.
This year? Not so much.
Let's take a closer look. Using Rivals.com Massachusetts Top 10 from 2008-2011, here's how BC has fared over the past couple of years recruiting the state:
Number of Mass. Top 10 signed: 3
Number of Mass. Top 10 offered: 4 (missed on RB Jordan Todman to UConn)
Players: No. 1 RB Isaac Johnson, No. 2 DE Nick Halloran, No. 3 TE Mike Stone
Other Schools Represented: Connecticut (2), Columbia, Duke, Northeastern
All 3 of the top highest rated recruits in the state chose BC, though ultimately none of these guys ended up panning out. In fact, Johnson left the program after his junior year and recently resurfaced at AIC, which (no offense) but I didn't even realize the Yellow Jackets had a football program. Similarly, Stone never saw the field, redshirting for the 2008 season, while Halloran played in just six games on the line during the 2009 season.
Number of Mass. Top 10 signed: 2
Number of Mass. Top 10 offered: 4
Players: No. 3 DB Jim Noel, No. 4 OL Keith Bourne
Other Schools Represented: Georgia, North Carolina, N.C. State, Iowa, Massachusetts, Syracuse, Connecticut
In 2009, the Jagodzinski-Spaziani transition class missed on both the top two in-state prospects in TE Arthur Lynch (Georgia) and OT Brennan Williams (North Carolina), though BC did pick up both Noel and Bourne, who ranked 3 and 4, respectively. Still, BC was the most represented program of this year's Rivals.com Top 10 Massachusetts prospects.
Number of Mass. Top 10 signed: 4
Number of Mass. Top 10 offered: 5 (missed on TE Blake Barker to Harvard)
Players: No. 2 OL Bobby Vardaro, No. 6 James McCaffrey, No. 9 Dominique Williams, No. 10 Aaron Kramer
Other Schools Represented: Harvard, Connecticut (2), Miami, BYU
BC was well represented in Massachusetts in 2010, bringing in four of the five Top 10 recruits they offered. The Eagles only missed on TE Blake Barker, who committed to Harvard over BC, Duke, Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Stanford, Syracuse, Tennessee, Virginia and Wake Forest. Breathe. BC didn't offer Jimmy Noel's younger brother Rodman, who wound up at N.C. State with Tom O'Brien.

Number of Mass. Top 10 signed: 4
Number of Mass. Top 10 offered: 6
Players: No. 1 TE Brian Miller, No. 2 DB Al Louis-Jean Jr., No. 6 OL Liam Porter, No. 10 DB Manny Asprilla
Other Schools Represented: California, Iowa, Nebraska, UCLA, Harvard, Nevada
For the second straight year, BC hauled in four Massachusetts recruits, including the top two ranked players in the state in TE Brian Miller and DB Albert Louis-Jean. If you include Groton Academy's Marcus Grant, who wound up back at BC after transferring from Iowa, BC snagged half of the Rivals.com top 10 players from the state, and five of the six they offered.
Which brings us to this year's recruiting class.
Number of Mass. Top 10 signed: 1
Number of Mass. Top 10 offered: 8
Players: No. 7 LB Tim Joy
Other Schools Represented: Ohio State (2), Maryland, Virginia, Northwestern, Connecticut (2), Northeastern (track)
There seemed to be more talent coming out of Massachusetts than in past years as the state produced four 4* athletes. BC offered the top six ranked recruits in the state and missed on all of them. Catholic Memorial's Camren Williams and Armani Reeves, the state's top two recruits, signed with Urban Meyer at Ohio State. Maryland snagged 4* LB Abner Logan, Virginia 4* ATH Canaan Severin and Northwestern 3* OL Eric Olson. CB Donovan Henry, the 10th ranked prospect, committed to BC but then backed out to sign with Northeastern to run track (BC doesn't offer track scholarships). BC's only get from the state's top 10 was at number 7 - LB Tim Joy.
Now don't misunderstand me. These recruit rankings are very subjective and as you can see from 2008, highly ranked recruits don't always go on to have All-American careers in college. I also hope Tim Joy becomes the next Luke Kuechly and tackles everything and anything in his way to a highly productive career on the Heights.
But the fact that BC offered the top six Massachusetts recruits in the 2012 class and whiffed on all of them is pretty telling of the state of this program and the quality of this year's class.
It particularly stings when you see other ACC programs come in and sign away some of the state's top ranked prospects as Maryland and Virginia did this year. Questionable recruiting tactics aside, Ohio State's Urban Meyer was able to pick off the state's top two recruits just a few weeks ago (Williams verballed on January 20, Reeves on January 18).
The recruiting failures in our own backyard do not speak well for the BC program or for the job this year's coaching staff did on the recruiting trail. Boston College football simply has to remain relevant in its own backyard, especially in the face of increasing competition (UMass making the jump to I-A).
0 recs  |  2 comments
BC00012
n00b

Postby Mod16A on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:54 am

I imagine recruiting will only be worse this year, especially when you have programs that are academically superior to us going after the same recruits. Reading about James Frankling makes me want to :suicide

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1326516
Mod16A
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:19 am

Mod16A {l Wrote}:I imagine recruiting will only be worse this year, especially when you have programs that are academically superior to us going after the same recruits. Reading about James Frankling makes me want to :suicide

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1326516

Watched Vandy's Bowl Game. Franklin = Good Recruiter BUT really poor in-game coach.

But before someone jumps down my throat, a drunk monkey would be better than Spaz
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 pm

After the in-state disaster that was the 2012 class, I'm very curious to see how we do in MA this year. The only in-state offers out so far this year are to OL John Montelus and DT Maurice Hurst, and both seem somewhat important (Montelus because we should lock down in-state guys at our marquee position and Hurst because DT is suddenly a big need position after whiffing there this year). Montelus has said his mom wants him at BC so hopefully that helps (even though it seems like it mostly backfires) and Hurst has called BC his leader.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bruisertm on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:32 am

Per EA, we just offered this kid, Alex Anzalone LB/RB

bruisertm
n00b

Postby joetim99 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Here is an article on Anzalone: http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=362708
joetim99
n00b

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 am

New offer out to PA OL Dorian Johnson (other offers already are Pitt, Toledo, WVU, VT). He is quoted as saying "I was pretty excited. I'm a fan of Boston College. I've just been watching that team for a while, their football and basketball teams" which we can hopefully use to our advantage. With Johnson and then guys like McGlinchey, Montelus, and Mahon, if there one's position we already look set up to do ok next year, it's OL.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 pm

He's my take on what our roster will look like after the 2012 season going into 2013 and what our recruiting class should be:

QB (3): Rettig (Sr), Bordner (R-Jr), Suntrup (R-So)
RB (3): A. Williams (Sr), Finch (R-So), Kimble (R-So)
WR (6): Coleman (R-Sr), Swigert (Sr), Amidon (Sr), Evans (Jr), Jackson (R-Fr), Zoungrana (R-Fr)
TE (5): Naples (R-Sr), Darmstatter (R-Jr), Miller (R-So), Giacone (R-Fr), Crimmins (R-Fr)
OL (16): White (R-Sr), B. Davis (R-Sr), H. Williams (R-Jr), Vardaro (R-Jr), Betancourt (R-Jr), Kramer (R-Jr), Gallik (R-Jr), Nelson (R-So), Meredith (R-So), Lembke (R-So), Bowen (R-So), Porter (R-So), Gaughan (R-So), Cashman (R-Fr), Taylor (R-Fr), Homer (R-Fr)
DE (5): Edebali (R-Sr), Abdesmad (Jr), Mihalik (Jr), Wucjiak (R-So), Moore (R-Fr)
DT (4): Rudolph (Sr), Appiah (R-Jr), Ricci (Jr), Borcich (R-So)
LB (11): Lawrence (R-Sr), Sinkovec (R-Sr), KPL (Sr), Divitto (Sr), Keyes (Jr), Duggan (Jr), Lifka (R-So), Daniels (R-Fr), Strizak (R-Fr), Wolford (R-Fr), Joy (R-Fr)
CB (5): Jones (R-Jr), McCaffrey (R-Jr), ALJ (Jr), Asprilla (Jr), B. Jones (R-Fr)
S (6): D. Williams (R-Jr), Sylvia (R-Jr), Rositano (Jr), Richardson (R-So), Simmons (R-Fr), Dudeck (R-Fr)
ST (3): Freese (R-Sr), Howell (R-So), Skubal (R-Fr)

Total: 67
Assumptions: All freshman redshirt, Dillon Quinn is done after the 2012 season, Steven Daniels qualifies
Possible candidates for no 5th year: B. Davis, A. Lawrence, J. Sinkovec

Class Breakdown
QB – 1
RB – 2
WR – 2/3
TE – 1
OL – 2/3
DE – 1/2
DT – 2
LB – 1/2
CB – 2
S – 1

General takeaways. We really need some skill position guys this class - 2 each at WR, RB, and CB. Also, our safeties are awful. We'll have 6 on our roster going into 2013 and only one got other BCS offers.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Literally the worst group of safeties I've ever seen.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Literally the worst group of safeties I've ever seen.

Richardson is allegedly pretty solid in practice (we'll see I guess).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Rivals250 is out and Andrew Isaacs is 182. Another notable is Montelus at 214.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Rivals250 is out and Andrew Isaacs is 182. Another notable is Montelus at 214.

Other Notables:

14: DE Joey Bosa (St. Thomas Aquinas)
28: DB Eli Woodward (Voorhees, NJ/Eastern High School)
47: QB Ryan Burns (Ashburn, VA/Stone Bridge)
50: DE Garrett Sickles (Red Bank Catholic)
78: DT Greg Webb (Sicklerville, NJ/Timber Creek)
123: QB Hayden Rettig (LA/Cathedral)
128: QB Kevin Holmes (Wayne, NJ/Wayne Hills)
139: DE Al-Quadine Muhammad (Don Bosco)
189: QB Brogan Roback (Toledo, OH/St. John's)
190: OL Brandon Mahon (Randolph, NJ/Randolph)
192: RB David Williams (Philly/West Catholic)
207: ATH Nadir Barnwell (Piscataway, NJ/Piscataway)
250: DE Tashawn Bower (Somerville, NJ/Immaculata)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/bostoncollege/f ... ls250/2013
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby fs33 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:12 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:He's my take on what our roster will look like after the 2012 season going into 2013 and what our recruiting class should be:

QB (3): Rettig (Sr), Bordner (R-Jr), Suntrup (R-So)
RB (3): A. Williams (Sr), Finch (R-So), Kimble (R-So)
WR (6): Coleman (R-Sr), Swigert (Sr), Amidon (Sr), Evans (Jr), Jackson (R-Fr), Zoungrana (R-Fr)
TE (5): Naples (R-Sr), Darmstatter (R-Jr), Miller (R-So), Giacone (R-Fr), Crimmins (R-Fr)
OL (16): White (R-Sr), B. Davis (R-Sr), H. Williams (R-Jr), Vardaro (R-Jr), Betancourt (R-Jr), Kramer (R-Jr), Gallik (R-Jr), Nelson (R-So), Meredith (R-So), Lembke (R-So), Bowen (R-So), Porter (R-So), Gaughan (R-So), Cashman (R-Fr), Taylor (R-Fr), Homer (R-Fr)
DE (5): Edebali (R-Sr), Abdesmad (Jr), Mihalik (Jr), Wucjiak (R-So), Moore (R-Fr)
DT (4): Rudolph (Sr), Appiah (R-Jr), Ricci (Jr), Borcich (R-So)
LB (11): Lawrence (R-Sr), Sinkovec (R-Sr), KPL (Sr), Divitto (Sr), Keyes (Jr), Duggan (Jr), Lifka (R-So), Daniels (R-Fr), Strizak (R-Fr), Wolford (R-Fr), Joy (R-Fr)
CB (5): Jones (R-Jr), McCaffrey (R-Jr), ALJ (Jr), Asprilla (Jr), B. Jones (R-Fr)
S (6): D. Williams (R-Jr), Sylvia (R-Jr), Rositano (Jr), Richardson (R-So), Simmons (R-Fr), Dudeck (R-Fr)
ST (3): Freese (R-Sr), Howell (R-So), Skubal (R-Fr)

Total: 67
Assumptions: All freshman redshirt, Dillon Quinn is done after the 2012 season, Steven Daniels qualifies
Possible candidates for no 5th year: B. Davis, A. Lawrence, J. Sinkovec

Class Breakdown
QB – 1
RB – 2
WR – 2/3
TE – 1
OL – 2/3
DE – 1/2
DT – 2
LB – 1/2
CB – 2
S – 1

General takeaways. We really need some skill position guys this class - 2 each at WR, RB, and CB. Also, our safeties are awful. We'll have 6 on our roster going into 2013 and only one got other BCS offers.

If Sinko can stick at FB he'll stick around. There is no way in hell all freshman redshirt. Between special teams/injuries/idiocy half these guys will see the field. Plus, Spaz isn't building for the future. He knows his days are numbered. He is going with a lose-by-a-respectable-margin at all costs mentality.

2 of the DBs, Moore, 2 of the LBs will see the field, as will 1 TE and Zoungrana
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:27 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Rivals250 is out and Andrew Isaacs is 182. Another notable is Montelus at 214.

Other Notables:

Do we have any shot at Burns? We were in on him real early (I think earlier than anyone else).
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby mjago410 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:00 pm

bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Other Notables:

Do we have any shot at Burns? We were in on him real early (I think earlier than anyone else).

From what I've read, we apparently have a legitimate shot at Burns. Which will only make it hurt more when Spaz inevitably messes it up.
mjago410
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Montellus just tweeted that he got offered by Michigan

https://twitter.com/#!/big_john_74/status/169159684807344129
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 am

Why, because half of them lack melanin?
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Montellus just tweeted that he got offered by Michigan

I wouldn't expect BC to reel in any recruit in the ESPN 250 (or even 450) given the current state of affairs. I think we need to start now with setting the 2013 recruiting expectations super low. Like, "it's a victory if our class is better than the one at Umass."
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Montellus just tweeted that he got offered by Michigan

I wouldn't expect BC to reel in any recruit in the ESPN 250 (or even 450) given the current state of affairs. I think we need to start now with setting the 2013 recruiting expectations super low. Like, "it's a victory if our class is better than the one at Umass."

What about Daniels?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Because they're awful. Good luck defending the play of Rositano and Hughes back there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Because they're awful. Good luck defending the play of Rositano and Hughes back there.

:oj :oj :oj :oj
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Fantastic argument. Never been used before on this board. Very original.

As TWB eloquently pointed out, both guys are afraid to tackle and are slow. Fantastic combination.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Fantastic argument. Never been used before on this board. Very original.

As TWB eloquently pointed out, both guys are afraid to tackle and are slow. Fantastic combination.

Rositano is anything but afraid to tackle. He may be slow.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium