2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Bunratty on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Yup, they have 11 verbals and all but one a 4-star.

What? They already took a flier?!
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Charlie Calinan 6'4 WR (St Peters Prep) visiting tomorrow per Mike Giacones twitter account. Hopefully another big receiver to take Momahs roll since :pickle fucked up his college career.

m_giacone84: Shout out to my boy @C_Callinan going up to Boston College for a unofficial tomorrow. Hopefully the duo will be back in college!

I hope Callinan gets an offer (he already has them from UConn and Rutgers). We certainly need some legit skill position guys this class and he could be one.

Other visitors tomorrow include OL Brad Henson (lots of offers), DE Ebenezer Ogundeko (BC, Cuse, and ASU offers), DE Tom Plonski, LB Luke Catarius, and ATH Mike Rapoza
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:All in all, based on this small sample, the areas they're successfully hitting will impact MSU a lot more than they'll impact us.

True in that we don't really recruit Michigan that much (who was the last player we had from there?), but we do seem to butt heads with MSU fairly frequently in Ohio, Illinois, and western PA, and that will only increase if Sparty is getting shut out of their in-state talent.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Was looking thru twitter and found this tweet from Chase (dont worry not CLIII smoking pot tweet)...

ChaseRettig: just met @DougFlutie in the plex playing hoop.. He's a beast. #WeAreBC

I think the general consensus I get from Chase via his twitter account is that he really enjoys BC, and I would imagine he would have to REALLY enjoy it to put up with HCGDF and all this coaching bullshit. I think Chase is a great ambassador for the school and is hopefully someone the staff uses for prospective recruits because he seems very enthusiastic about being at BC and playing football here.

That is neither here nor there, the point that I was originally trying to make was in the aforementioned tweet, and to be honest, it really doesn't surprise me based on the results that we have seen in recruiting the last few years, BUT, for Chase to tweet that he just met Flutie because he happened to bump into him in the plex while playing basketball is an absolute joke.

Flutie is what he is, but the fact remains, he is probably one of the better known alums from BC and almost single-handedly put BC football (And the school) on the map, and is someone that the staff should lean on in the recruiting process. He is still a VERY visible alum and one of the most popular players in college football history.

The fact that it took Chase until his junior year to even meet him, to me, says Flutie is not used in the recruiting process at all, and is a pretty good indicator that the staff makes no attempt to use other well known alums (Ryan, Raji, Herzy, Snee, etc) in the recruiting process, which basically makes any past success we have had null and void.

I had a friend who played at BC and eventually became a captain under TOB. When he was being recruited, towards the end of one of his visits, TOB led him into a room and when he opened the door, Flutie was sitting there for a one on one talk. I doubt that a chat with Doug Flutie was what ultimately pushed him over the edge to eventually commit to BC, but it is something that definitely didn't hurt his perception of the program during his recruiting process.

Again, I dont really know why I am writing this, as it really shouldn't surprise me based on the past recruiting results and the overall demise we have seen under GDF and Spaz. And maybe I am wrong about the staffs involvement with alum (although I have heard multiple times that this staff is not good with keeping in touch with football alums), but I would say that having your starting QB not even meet Doug Flutie until his junior year is a pretty good sample size to make this assumption.

The more that we learn about this staffs methods continues to amaze me. Hopefully the school/program can continue to recruit itself this year and we will have some kind of sustainable base to go forward with when HCGDF and Spaz are outta here.

They don't use former players because it's a recruiting violation to intentionally do so.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:All in all, based on this small sample, the areas they're successfully hitting will impact MSU a lot more than they'll impact us.

True in that we don't really recruit Michigan that much (who was the last player we had from there?), but we do seem to butt heads with MSU fairly frequently in Ohio, Illinois, and western PA, and that will only increase if Sparty is getting shut out of their in-state talent.

Bordner?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Bordner?

Bordner is from Maryland....Joe Boisture is from Michigan but didn't end up at BC obviously. Other than him and Devin Church I can't even remember us seriously recruiting anyone from Michigan in the last few years
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Bordner?

Bordner is from Maryland....Joe Boisture is from Michigan but didn't end up at BC obviously. Other than him and Devin Church I can't even remember us seriously recruiting anyone from Michigan in the last few years

Ah, shit. That was the joke I was trying to make.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bruisertm on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:29 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Charlie Calinan 6'4 WR (St Peters Prep) visiting tomorrow per Mike Giacones twitter account. Hopefully another big receiver to take Momahs roll since :pickle fucked up his college career.

m_giacone84: Shout out to my boy @C_Callinan going up to Boston College for a unofficial tomorrow. Hopefully the duo will be back in college!

I hope Callinan gets an offer (he already has them from UConn and Rutgers). We certainly need some legit skill position guys this class and he could be one.

Other visitors tomorrow include OL Brad Henson (lots of offers), DE Ebenezer Ogundeko (BC, Cuse, and ASU offers), DE Tom Plonski, LB Luke Catarius, and ATH Mike Rapoza

bruisertm
n00b

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Bordner?

Kris Evans was from Michigan. He backed out of his verbal to attend Stanford.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 am

I didn't see it posted, but IL TE Nathan Marcus was on campus on Sunday. He holds offers from BC, Northwestern, and Toledo. He also visited Harvard when he was in town.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:00 am

Per Rivals, WR Dionte Taylor still has BC as his top school, despite the fact that his recruiter (Day), is now gone.

http://georgiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1334609
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby bruisertm on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:11 am

Who do you guys think will be the next commit?
bruisertm
n00b

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 am

RB George Craan will be the next commit, I wonder if this mean Montel is done?
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:36 am

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:RB George Craan will be the next commit, I wonder if this mean Montel is done?

Why would Montel affect a 2013 recruit?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:RB George Craan will be the next commit, I wonder if this mean Montel is done?

Why would Montel affect a 2013 recruit?

I think Craan actually is 2012
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWomp on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am

Great.....while others are loading up for 2013 and beyond, the brilliant recruiting minds at BC are continuing to add to the worst recruiting class in history with a kid who was ready to prep because he didn't get offers from UNH and other FCS teams. The fans have tried to slam the door on this god-awful 2012 recruiting period, but Spaz just won't let it go.
BCWomp
Carney Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:04 am

What's going on with Isaacs now?
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BCWomp on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:26 am

Isaacs was at the UConn Junior day yesterday and will likely be taking more visits and going to camps throughout the summer. He is definitely looking around.

By the was UConn got 2 commits on Jr day from players that BC was considering. A DE from NYC (Ogundeko) that already had a BC offer, and a WR that visited BC.
BCWomp
Carney Hall

Postby joesim on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Any notice that we're recuiting commish's cousin?
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 pm

While we are losing our one verbal, Bill O'Brien is crushing it without coaching a single game. Absolutely insane that GDF didn't pull the plug on Spaz.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:While we are losing our one verbal, Bill O'Brien is crushing it without coaching a single game. Absolutely insane that GDF didn't pull the plug on Spaz.

Takes PSU out of the Burns running though which is huge for our chances. I'd say he's still got Stanford ahead of us but we have a shot with Burns now.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:18 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:While we are losing our one verbal, Bill O'Brien is crushing it without coaching a single game. Absolutely insane that GDF didn't pull the plug on Spaz.

Takes PSU out of the Burns running though which is huge for our chances. I'd say he's still got Stanford ahead of us but we have a shot with Burns now.

Based on the past 6 months, I cannot see any recruit with any other significant interest choosing BC until after the new coach is hired.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Based on the past 6 months, I cannot see any recruit with any other significant interest choosing BC until after the new coach is hired.

I think there are still some recruits that will come for the school regardless of the state of the program. They are not many, but some of them are actually guys with other offers. I don't think Burns is in this group, however.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

I think there are still some recruits that will come for the school regardless of the state of the program. They are not many, but some of them are actually guys with other offers. I don't think Burns is in this group, however.

There have been in the past... but, as we've seen this year, there are better options for those kids now. Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, UVA, UNC, Wake, ND and even Duke offer comparable (to better) education plus significantly better football. The only kids we will get now who have other BCS offers are those who (a) would like BC regardless of the state of the football program and (b) do not want to travel far from home. I guess... there is also the possibility that a kid from farther away (like Cali) has some BCS offers from middling local schools but wants an education and hasn't gotten the attention of the above schools (because he's not good enough for Stanford and ND and is an area that isn't recruited by the rest). But... when it is all said and done... we are talking about maybe 5-6 kids in a class of 20+. The status of this program is just insane.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

There have been in the past... but, as we've seen this year, there are better options for those kids now. Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, UVA, UNC, Wake, ND and even Duke offer comparable (to better) education plus significantly better football. The only kids we will get now who have other BCS offers are those who (a) would like BC regardless of the state of the football program and (b) do not want to travel far from home. I guess... there is also the possibility that a kid from farther away (like Cali) has some BCS offers from middling local schools but wants an education and hasn't gotten the attention of the above schools (because he's not good enough for Stanford and ND and is an area that isn't recruited by the rest). But... when it is all said and done... we are talking about maybe 5-6 kids in a class of 20+. The status of this program is just insane.

There were last year, they signed as of 27 days ago - Strizak, Cashman, Taylor, Giacone and Homer - I think you can rest assured that there are still some players who will value a BC scholarship. In reading more of your post yes, they are the kids who would like BC regardless or don't want to go far away(none of the latter in this group but still correct). I don't think we're disagreeing really.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

There were last year, they signed as of 27 days ago - Strizak, Cashman, Taylor, Giacone and Homer - I think you can rest assured that there are still some players who will value a BC scholarship. In reading more of your post yes, they are the kids who would like BC regardless or don't want to go far away(none of the latter in this group but still correct). I don't think we're disagreeing really.

Most of those came from Catholic schools, right?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:55 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Most of those came from Catholic schools, right?

3/5
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 pm

But... 4/5 were Summer verbals... when the staff could still sell sustained success and a stable coaching staff where the head coach just received an extension. It's a MUCH different sell now.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:55 am

Since this is highly likely to be a transition class, I just want Spaz to go out and get as many commits as he can. Shoot for 25. That way when the new coach comes in and recruits bail, we will still have a decent base of 15 or so.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Mod16A on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:11 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/17516277/stringent-standards-help-stanford-elevate-itself-in-recruiting

Reading what Shaw has to say infuriates me further about the state of our program. Next time Gene DeLoompa pulls the "Harvard-alabama" excuse, someone should read him this quote: "The other big component in the Cardinal's cool factor is all of the negativity surrounding college football these days with scandals in academics and recruiting, Shaw says. "I've been searching and I haven't found any other school recently that's been ranked both in the top 5 in college football and the top 5 by the U.S. News & Report."
Mod16A
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium